Author

Kevinrm15 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 273 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Aug 12, 11:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just out this interesting letter from his soapbox:

Tony Newman wrote:

Hello Brian

Just wondering if you could shed some light on why QPL or whomever is responsible for the lack of official LIVE 70’s Concert DVD or BluRay releases?

It seems we get more re-releases of all the same 80’s concerts than anything. Including the re-release of of the new greatest hits 1 & 2 (which doesn’t include The Miracle, Innuendo or Made In Heaven). We’ve seen We Will Rock You released a couple of times (2 different names), Live at Wembley 2-3 times, Live at the Bowl and now Hungarian Rhapsody for the second time (Live In Budapest). Do you know why we’re not getting Live at the Rainbow, Hyde Park, Earls Court, Houston 77?

Are there plans for any of these to be released in the future? I am an American fan of Queen since 1975. I am now 50 and have purchased EVERY single thing you guys have ever released... I would spend DOUBLE for any 70’s concerts as I’m sure many others would too... When I’m dead, I will purchase nothing. I’m sure it’s not about the money with you guys but if you read the many posts about the fans who still love the Queen we remembered from the 70’s you’d see there is a LOT of interest in the 70’s concerts.

I think the momentum you have right now with Lambert and the young crowd now getting behind Queen, it would be a great time to introduce them to the early Queen band. You guys were simply INCREDIBLE in the 70’s. So young and DANGEROUSLY LIVE!!! We see all of the YouTube vids from the 70’s era and some quite clear (possibly high def).

We would just like to see these get a proper release, even if it’s just on DVD... They deserve to be seen and WE THE FANS deserve to see them.

Thanks, if you reply!

Love you guys forever!!!

Tony Newman
USA

---

Brian replied:

Well, Tony - I hear you, but it's not that simple.

I suppose it would be fine if we just shoved the contents of an old VHS video on a DVD, but everybody would immediately complain about the lack of quality.

Instead, our guys regard each possible new DVD as a challenge … and they spend many months on each one, researching the best undiscovered sources, compiling, repairing, restoring - sound and vision - and the result is always something very special.

Currently Budapest is nearly finished, but the Rainbow concerts are in the works too. I don't know what you mean by 'second time' for the Budapest show … it's certainly never been officially on DVD before, because we had to buy the rights and buy the actually film in order to make this DVD.

The simple answer is … we can only do so much.

But thanks for asking. We also think some of the early concerts are interesting to reclaim.

cheers

Bri

people on streets user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1313 posts

Posted: 04 Aug 12, 11:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Great and honest reply from Brian.

Time is a thief.

dave76 user not visiting Queenzone.com
dave76
Bohemian: 573 posts

Posted: 04 Aug 12, 13:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's good that Brian is reminded about the re-releases of all this stuff that the fans are already have.

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts

Posted: 04 Aug 12, 16:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

people on streets wrote:
Great and honest reply from Brian.

Really?

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3037 posts

Posted: 04 Aug 12, 16:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Although he's not said anything we don't know (apart from maybe the Rainbow showS coming), it's good to see him actually reply to this for once.

He doesn't really comment as to why we get the numerous re-releases of the same stuff, and the obvious answer to him is 'yes, we understand the work put into the releases, but why not put that work into, say, Earld Court or Houston rather than Wembley or Budapest?'.

No mention of Hammersmith 75 though, which I would have expected as the obvious rebuttal if it it still on the schedule as we've previously been told.

earwig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 274 posts

Posted: 04 Aug 12, 16:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Most of us have seen the videos of Earls Court & Houston and it's hard to disagree with Brian. The fact is that they are both underwhelming from a technical point of view. It's a shame but there we go. In the current climate of HiDef, consumers expect more (unfortunately). Not to take away from the actual performances of course.

Still, great news about the Rainbow gig(s) :-)

Dead Daddy Long-legs. I'm still drinking it.
tero! 48531 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 737 posts

Posted: 04 Aug 12, 16:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"I suppose it would be fine if we just shoved the contents of an old VHS video on a DVD, but everybody would immediately complain about the lack of quality. "

What it really comes down to is that the "contents of an old VHS video is shoved on a DVD" anyway, and it's only a question whether that is done by a bootlegger or Queen Productions.

They aren't going to get any HD video or multitracks for overdubbing in the future either, so they might as well make the best possible release out of them officially.

I wish somebody in the inner circle of QP had the integrity to tell Brian that instead of agreeing with everything he says.

Marcos Napier user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 622 posts

Posted: 04 Aug 12, 16:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

tero! 48531 wrote:
"I suppose it would be fine if we just shoved the contents of an old VHS video on a DVD, but everybody would immediately complain about the lack of quality. "
What it really comes down to is that the "contents of an old VHS video is shoved on a DVD" anyway, and it's only a question whether that is done by a bootlegger or Queen Productions.

Exactly. As if Wembley, Budapest, Montreal were originally made in DVD. This "everybody would immediately complain" comment is what annoys me. Isn't everybody "already complaining" for ages about the "top quality" rerererere-releases?

MERQRY user not visiting Queenzone.com
MERQRY
Bohemian: 746 posts

Posted: 04 Aug 12, 23:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"I suppose it would be fine if we just shoved the contents of an old VHS video on a DVD"

But the 70`s gigs were NOT shot on vhs... they were (mainly) shot on VIDEO (i mean 1", 2" and -if i remeber well- on U-Matic), on FILM (some angles in Houston 77, and the Bob Harris footage) and aprently some gigs like Munich 79 and Japan 75 were originaly shot on film altough who knows if they still exist even on video...

Or Brian means they passed all his archive footage to vhs? i don`t think so cause nothing of the footage that they showed in for example the last BBC documentary looks like a vhs sourced footage...

Maybe the angles on concerts like Earls court aren`t good and i can understand it... but Rainbow 74, Ham 75, Hyde Park 76 and Hamm 79 are complete gigs that have a more that GOOD "angle work" (plus they have the multitracks of at least 3 of them)... and i must say 1" or 2" are very good formats to put on a dvd...

"I will destroy any man who dares abuse my trust" Freddie Mercury
dysan user not visiting Queenzone.com
dysan
Royalty: 1588 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 12, 01:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can see Brian's point here, although it is frustrating for us. Getting existing material out on the new label is fine, but boy it's a slow process. My concern, like the original question say is that one day there won't be time left to get these things out.

inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 12, 01:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Or Brian means they passed all his archive footage to vhs? i don`t think so cause nothing of the footage that they showed in for example the last BBC documentary looks like a vhs sourced footage..."

Some of (if not all?) the SSOR TOTP footage came from off-air VHS recordings, or something along those lines

MERQRY user not visiting Queenzone.com
MERQRY
Bohemian: 746 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 12, 02:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

inu-liger wrote:
"Or Brian means they passed all his archive footage to vhs? i don`t think so cause nothing of the footage that they showed in for example the last BBC documentary looks like a vhs sourced footage..."
Some of (if not all?) the SSOR TOTP footage came from off-air VHS recordings, or something along those lines

Yeah i understand your point but Brian (me too altough i missed the word LIVE) was talking about LIVE footage... i don`t consider TOTP footage as LIVE

"I will destroy any man who dares abuse my trust" Freddie Mercury
rocknrolllover user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hangman
rocknrolllover
Deity: 2576 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 12, 02:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, we wait for gigs at the Rainbow Theatre. We hope that this will happen in November 2012

I've got the power to love to live

I can't say it ain't right
Queenman!! user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queenman!!
Bohemian: 931 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 12, 03:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian replied:
Well, Tony - I hear you, but it's not that simple.
I suppose it would be fine if we just shoved the contents of an old VHS video on a DVD, but everybody would immediately complain about the lack of quality.

Sure....When you tranfer original PAL to NTSC

You made us laugh, you made us cry, you made us feel like we could fly!
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 12, 10:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Finding the best source material is half of the battle. I hate to say it Brian, but son - you've got to hire some people who know what the hell they are doing when it comes to DVD authoring. It *is not hard* to get the basics right. I get a damned ice cream headache when I think of the fucking mess that was made of the aspect ratios on GH2.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
99jaystang user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 154 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 12, 11:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Is QP still searching for the lost 1975 Hammersmith footage? Is that why that hasn't been released. Or will that be packaged with Adam Lambert hammersmith shows

Kevinrm15 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 273 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 12, 11:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

According to QOL admin, Hammersmith WILL be released but not this year. There are no plans to release the Adam Lambert shows and they would NEVER put the old and current shows in one package.

cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3037 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 12, 13:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well said Zebonka. A lot of the people they employ for various jobs just aren't up to the task.

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 12, 13:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Like Greg Brooks, for instance.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10071 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 12, 13:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The DVDs they released in the last years made me pretty sad. They could be SO much better ...

But it's great to read that they're working on Rainbow too