Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Spike on 'big 2013 world tour'

forum rss feed
Author

cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 2956 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Aug 12, 12:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Spike Edney has posted a promotional piece on his Facebook page about his new keyboard. Filmed on stage at Hammersmith, it is quite interesting anyway as he explains some of the Queen sounds.

Further interest towards the end of the piece however is when he says he is 'looking forward to using the keyboard on a big world tour next year - fingers crossed'.

Now I know that he plays with lots of people, but I'm wondering if this may be Queen, or maybe Roger solo, WWRY Musical tour, or if he might be drafted into the Queen Extravaganza for a more exhaustive set of dates (of which I think the latter two could be the most likely)?

emrabt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1114 posts

Posted: 06 Aug 12, 12:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Probably the All star band.

AdamMethos user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 421 posts

Posted: 06 Aug 12, 12:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Has the SAS band done big world tours? I don't exhaustively follow the news on SAS but the gigs I have noticed have all been in the UK and relatively small.

Would Roger do a world tour for his solo album since it seems like such a niche product? The WWRY tour is already announced so Spike wouldn't need to cross fingers about it. QE already has a keyboard player/music director so I would be surprised if Spike joins them.

Brian & Roger seem to be more interested in playing only selected dates as Queen instead of doing big world tours, but maybe the Q+AL gigs have invigorated them? It still seems strange that QOL would get rid of the Q+AL subforum barely a week after the Hammersmith shows (but leave the 46664 subforum even though nothing new has happened with that for years) if there's still a possibility of more Q+AL gigs in the future.

Vocal harmony user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1202 posts

Posted: 06 Aug 12, 14:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Although the WWRY dates have been announced it doesn't mean the musicians, cast or crew have been decided.

Another thing to take into account is that Felix is normally the touring show's drummer, which would mean if Queen were to tour next year the tour couldn't take place at the same time or leading up to the WWRY dates.

Spike has been around the Queen organization long enough to be asked to tour with who ever needs a keyboard player.

As has been pointed out he could be talking about the WWRY tour a Queen tour. Or even a Kerry Ellis and Brian May tour or any number of other bands that may require his services.

people on streets user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1306 posts

Posted: 06 Aug 12, 14:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Typical Spike Edney behaviour.
Acting all important while, really, he's not important at all.

No wonder Freddie didn't like the man, and his ego.

What a tosser.

Hope this Queen + AL thing is over now.

Posted: 06 Aug 12, 15:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Do you think he would have been used past the 84 European dates if Freddie didn't like him.

Not important? Your knowledge of the subject is limited. Fact Spike was given the job because he could play Keys and guitar, he was unassuming willing to take a back seat but maybe more important was able to teach the band the songs they had forgotten how to play.

During rehearsals for the Q+PR tours he was given the title of musical director because of his musicianship and knowledge of the material.

But, People on the Streets, I guess you no better, maybe Freddie mentioned something to you in passing that no one else was aware of.

Posted: 06 Aug 12, 15:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello Spike!
Welcome on Queenzone.

I don't like you!

x

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 06 Aug 12, 15:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The keyboard isn't that great. The Pianos aren't anything special and there's only two... appropriately called the "German D" and the "Japanese C". Whatever. The leslie effect sounds terrible on the Organs, but again... it's a Korg. Fortunately they've given you some drawbars, Spike.

This is not a very live-friendly keyboard, it's more suited for a studio.

Posted: 06 Aug 12, 20:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

From that short and not ideal recording, how can you tell that the piano's aren't anything special.

Calling a high end piece of equipment not that good is a bit strange. In his position Spike could afford or be able to get his hands on whatever he needs. He is hardly going to settle for something that is anything less than good.

horse feathers user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 185 posts

Posted: 06 Aug 12, 20:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

After watching the clip of this very mediocre keyboard player, I think it is pretty obvious that he uses Autotune at the end of his chain of FX, especially with the bum notes he played. Most particularly in Radio Gaga. His piano playing is awful, lacks any feeling and the string patches he uses are absolutely awful.
People On Streets, where can I find the articles on Freddie's opinion of this self egotist and talentless man?
Vocal Harmony, may I suggest that Microwave has first hand experience of this keyboard. And that he hasn't weaned his opinion from the dull clip alone. But even from that clip, you can tell that the sounds are awful and very cheesy.

paul wakefield
Midwinter user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 7 posts

Posted: 07 Aug 12, 01:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Agree with that. Spike is a rather poor keys player, not to mention classical piano.

cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 2956 posts

Posted: 07 Aug 12, 02:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I tend to agree - his playing has no feel or emotion and he is very much 'plinky plonky' in style at times. He's certainly not a pianist, but more a keyboard player playing piano,, in the same way that Brian and Paul Rodgers on the Cosmos Rocks played bass but are absolutely not capable of being bassists.

Having said that, being a musician isn't always about having the absolute highest level of ability and virtuoso skills - it's as much about being professional, on time, rehearsed, and easy to get on with - he clearly fits those criteria, and so whilst Morgan Fisher on the Hot Space tour may well have been a better keys player, I don't think he fitted in with the band and wanted to be part of the 'headline act' rather than 'the chorus line'.

Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2370 posts

Posted: 07 Aug 12, 03:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Spike is a lot more than a keyboard player for the band, he acts as a musical director for other musicians on a tour and coordinates much of what happens on tour. Queens keyboard needs are not huge or that complex, he plays what 'they' put on the original recordings most of the time so if the keys are weak blame the band.
If you have ever gone to see the SAS band you will know he is a wonderful talent at getting people together and putting on a great show.

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

Posted: 07 Aug 12, 04:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

horse feathers wrote:

People On Streets, where can I find the articles on Freddie's opinion of this self egotist and talentless man?

I think Ratty wrote or told about it.
Thought it was common knowledge among Queen fans. Will find you a quote.

The fact that he was on the last 84 or whatever gigs doesnt mean Freddie liked the man. He was just a session musician who was hired to do his job.

Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2370 posts

Posted: 07 Aug 12, 07:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Absolute bollocks

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6243 posts

Posted: 07 Aug 12, 09:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I never liked him either.

BTW, the fact he toured with Queen for three years doesn't necessarily mean Freddie liked him - for all we know, the band members often even didn't like each other, yet they kept together as their professional relationship was still strong.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave

Posted: 07 Aug 12, 09:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Vocal harmony wrote: From that short and not ideal recording, how can you tell that the piano's aren't anything special.

Calling a high end piece of equipment not that good is a bit strange. In his position Spike could afford or be able to get his hands on whatever he needs. He is hardly going to settle for something that is anything less than good.

Because I've played one.

Yes, I find it interesting that Spike is going with a "new" keyboard for this tour, unless someone has already pre-programmed it for him.  Most high end boards can be figured out in a couple of days, not the length of a tour.  I prefer a piano that doesn't sound as thin in the mid-range area... with a nice beefy low end.  These two pianos simply don't do that... for me.  To each their own.  I still prefer the 128K Piano from the Roland XV-88 to most anything even now, although those new Nord samples are very tasty... especially the Steinway D. 

Plus, he's probably fully endorsed by Korg, so he has to use their boards.  And they want their new Daddy on display for all to see.

AdamMethos user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 421 posts

Posted: 07 Aug 12, 12:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In the video he says Q+AL has two of the Korgs and QE has three. Maybe he got a discount in exchange for promo?

The Admin over at QOL says "I really would not read too much into this" in response to Spike's comments. It's hard to tell whether he's shooting down a Q+AL world tour specifically or just the idea of Spike doing a world tour with anyone next year. Here's the thread:
http://discuss.queenonline.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4347

Posted: 07 Aug 12, 13:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

At the venue, on the night from the FOH desk the piano sound was really good. I think when your talking any sizable venue with a large PA sometimes the type of sound generated isn't always what you'd expect until you hear it used in a gig situation.

Spike is a very capable keyboard player, being a good pianist is a different thing, that doesn't mean he can't play. Queen could have hired who ever they wanted. Certainly not someone who wasn't or isn't good.

Being in a band and disagreeing with each other is one thing, and something worth putting up with in a band like Queen. But being a member of a band and not liking a hired session guy you have to work closely with but putting up with them is a little strange.

Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave

Posted: 07 Aug 12, 13:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think when your talking any sizable venue with a large PA sometimes the type of sound generated isn't always what you'd expect until you hear it used in a gig situation.

Not true.  Spike doesn't listen to what is "generated" in a sizeable venue.  He uses an in-ear monitoring system.  The Piano will sound the same if he's playing in a bathroom or a sizeable venue.