Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Queen BBC Session 6 possible video?

forum rss feed
Author

Mr.QueenFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.QueenFan
Royalty: 1412 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Aug 12, 19:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As i watched the Freddie Mercury official 65th birthday video, it´s pretty obviour that the version of "My melancholy Blues" that Freddie is singing is the BBC session 6 version. EDIT: This is the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uuqx11UOOP4&feature=plcp
We know that the day of recording of the full session was October 28, 1977. Wich means that they recorded :
Spread Your Wings
It's Late (with parts of Get Down Make Love)
My Melancholy Blues
We Will Rock You (slow / fast)
So, i believe that it´s possible that the whole session was recorded during the Bob Harris documentary. Not only Freddie´s vocals and contribution but all four Queen members, in case they followed each member separately- or at least they kept a camera rolling in the studio.
What are your opinions on this subject?
P.S. - I never found any discussion on Queenzone over this possibility, if this was discussed before then just ignore this topic.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18639 posts

Posted: 09 Aug 12, 19:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's entirely possible that the video was from the album recording sessions and that they just used the BBC audio for the clip.

There's a similar clip for We Are The Champions from the Days Of Our Lives documentary ...

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts

Posted: 10 Aug 12, 03:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Are you sure that it's from the BBC version ? If yes, that's a great find

Mr.QueenFan

Posted: 10 Aug 12, 09:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

edit.

Mr.QueenFan

Posted: 10 Aug 12, 09:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Real Wizard wrote:
It's entirely possible that the video was from the album recording sessions and that they just used the BBC audio for the clip.
There's a similar clip for We Are The Champions from the Days Of Our Lives documentary ...

I thought about that too, but after i inspected it very carefully i´m pretty shure this is from BBC session 6, but i ask you, and others to check this with me.
Freddie´s vocals on session 6 are slightly diferent than the album. In the beginning "Another party is over" his phrasing on the word "over" is very different than on the album, but they haven´t Freddie singing this on the video.

Next, on "i´m let cold sober" the word sober is longer on the album than on the session, so they counldn´t synch the audio with video so perfectly. We can see that even Freddie´s breathing is in perfect synch with the BBC session audio.

I really believe that Bob Harris recorded not only the audio but the making of the backing track for that session. But i could use another pair of ears by fellow queenzoners.

Vocal harmony user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1229 posts

Posted: 10 Aug 12, 09:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The BBC session six was filmed, together with some interviews and other footage from the album sessions.

Also tour rehearsals were filmed together with the one hour Fan Club concert at the WATC video shoot. Bits of all these were included in the Bob Harris documentary, which was shelved during the final editing stage.

Liquid Scream user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 478 posts

Posted: 10 Aug 12, 11:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

qz08927 wrote:
Bob Harris documentary, which was shelved during the final editing stage
It needs to be un-shelved then.

Does anyone know why the documentary was shelved?

cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3040 posts

Posted: 10 Aug 12, 11:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They really should look to put this out - its not as if it's something they wanted to keep hidden as the whole reason it was filmed was to release it. This footage, including studio work, an intimate one off gig, interviews and backstage stuff, really is of huge importance and interest, and differs from the 'norm' that is out there.

The Real Wizard

Posted: 10 Aug 12, 11:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

At least there were some nice clips in the Days Of Our Lives documentary.

But there are hundreds of hours of footage from 1977... literally. Apparently Mercury's interview alone is four hours.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

Bad Seed user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bad Seed
Bohemian: 521 posts

Posted: 11 Aug 12, 01:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Liquid Scream wrote:
qz08927 wrote:
Bob Harris documentary, which was shelved during the final editing stage
It needs to be un-shelved then.

Does anyone know why the documentary was shelved?

Yes, it was around the time Beach was becoming involved.

Posted: 11 Aug 12, 05:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It was made by the BBC and was to be screened as on Old Grey Whistle Test Special.

The most common thought is that John Reed, or Queen themselves were not happy with it.
However in 77/78 the Whistle test seemed to be moving into punk and new wave at the expense of some of the more traditional rock bands. The program's producers seemed to want to reflect what was perceived as the next big thing, so it is possible that the Queen documentary was killed off because by the end of 1977 Queen were viewed as not current enough

Mr.QueenFan

Posted: 11 Aug 12, 06:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Vocal harmony wrote:
The BBC session six was filmed, together with some interviews and other footage from the album sessions.
Also tour rehearsals were filmed together with the one hour Fan Club concert at the WATC video shoot. Bits of all these were included in the Bob Harris documentary, which was shelved during the final editing stage.

Intersting, but i believe that they don´t aknolwedge the WATC fan club concert being filmed at all, or am i wrong?

If they still have the unedited tapes of everything you say, then Bob Harris might be the best thing ever to have happened to Queen, videowise!

pianoshizzle user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 12 posts

Posted: 11 Aug 12, 13:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@Mr.QueenFan Is this the video you were talking about? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRWXydcNQ6s

Posted: 11 Aug 12, 13:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Being has it was filmed by the BBC or for the BBC, having reached the final editing stage I would imagine that most of what was filmed, had by then, been disgarded if it wasn't required.

It's possible that a lot of the footage has been dumped, the BBC were famous for it at the time. The Bits that appear in the Days of our Lives Documentary could have been lifted directly from the Bob Harris Whistle Test documentary rather than being pulled from the hours and hours of footage filmed in 1977.

It would be nice to see the Whistle Test documentary released on DVD together with the one hour WATC concert, if it still exsists in it entirety. They played some old classics and somehow squeezed the lighting rig that was used on the 77 tour into a small theatre and stage.

The Real Wizard

Posted: 11 Aug 12, 14:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Vocal harmony wrote:
The Bits that appear in the Days of our Lives Documentary could have been lifted directly from the Bob Harris Whistle Test documentary rather than being pulled from the hours and hours of footage filmed in 1977.

I think those are essentially the same thing. The hundreds of hours of footage were filmed with the documentary in mind, but eventually shelved.

cmsdrums

Posted: 11 Aug 12, 14:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good point Vocal Harmony - there's a great chance that the edit may have already taken place at that point and so, like Budapest and Montreal, the unused footage could well have been binned.

I would hope possibly that Bob Harris, being a fan of music and appreciative of what he had, may possibly have salvaged the rest of it - in fact I may email him to see if he is willing/able to comment on what there was, what there is, and what may remain, and who owns it.

The Real Wizard

Posted: 11 Aug 12, 14:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Vocal harmony wrote:
Bits of all these were included in the Bob Harris documentary, which was shelved during the final editing stage.

Are you sure it got that far? Is there some kind of documentation or a quote from Harris?

Kevinrm15 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 273 posts

Posted: 11 Aug 12, 14:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I thought Bob gave the footage to the band, therefore it couldn't be finished.

Posted: 11 Aug 12, 15:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Real Wizard wrote:
Vocal harmony wrote:
Bits of all these were included in the Bob Harris documentary, which was shelved during the final editing stage.

Are you sure it got that far? Is there some kind of documentation or a quote from Harris?

In the winter 77 fan club mag Bob Harris talks about the documentary, he mentions filming in Houston and Fort Worth, he also talks about using other bits of film which had never been seen before.

He does say that it should be on TV, a one hour Whistle Test special, in January 78.

As regards to final editing etc, yes it did get this far however I am not able to publicly name the source of this information. I wish i could!

As regard to Bob Harris giving the footage to Queen, no. He was the presenter of a BBC program. Although he was friends with the band he was employed by BBC TV, who were making the documentary.

It would be interesting to hear what Bob Harris has to say about the Queen documentary.

Wizard what I meant was, I doubt that the many hours of footage filmed in 77 still survives. Other than what was edited down for use in the original documentary. So I believe that for the Days of our Lives doc the footage shown was lifted directly from the 77 documentary.

cmsdrums

Posted: 11 Aug 12, 15:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've emailed Bob Harris - I'm sure he's been bombarded over the years about this (especially since the documentary last year teased us with snippets), but I'll let you know here if I get a reply.