Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Musical Debate

forum rss feed
Author

Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2392 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Aug 12, 09:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ok so lets see how we do here? try to answer/debate this without reducing it to 'He's bollocks as a singer, or some such'

There would appear to be a good chance that Queen will be out on the road in some form in 2013 (If Spike's suposed mis-quoted comment is to be believed)

So with that in mind, who would be the best person to front it. I think it's a given that Brian and Roger will only go out if someone else is going to do a bunch of the front work.

So given that, would you rather pay to see Rodgers again, or Lambert?

We've seen what both can do, my guess is Rodgers will not happen again he seems to have done his bit, So presumably that leaves Mr Lambert in the chair?

Now anybody they choose will put a different spin on things, they will not be Freddie, but they will have to perform the songs in such a way to make them work for hardcore fans.

So should they go with Lambert or find someone new? if so who? and why?

Now skip past the first 26 posts that say Lamberts shit and we might have some interesting discussions.... maybe

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
Missreclusive user not visiting Queenzone.com
Missreclusive
Bohemian: 666 posts

Posted: 15 Aug 12, 10:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Marc Martel On second thought, I love MM with QE and would rather see him tour with them but would be nice if he could do a couple of concerts with Bri and Rog. MM doesn't try to impersonate Freddie, but from seeing him perform I feel he could do Queen legacy some serious justice and do it with class allowing Brian and Roger to shine.

Rubbersuit user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 331 posts

Posted: 15 Aug 12, 10:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

George Michael. He showed at the Olympics that he can still command a stadium.

cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3038 posts

Posted: 15 Aug 12, 11:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it will be Lambert.

I think it should be Martel.

I hope it's not Jeff Scott Soto.

If they go for a 'name', and someone more one of their peers or contemporaries, I think George Michael would be able to do the job. I'm sure others will come to mind once I've posted.

I would also be tempted to go for Danny Vaughn - not many will know him but he is in a band called Tyketto, used to be in Waysted, and also plays with Jamie Moses in an Eagles Tribute band. He has the quality and js a big Queen fan who would love to do it.

I'd still like to see an album of new material, and a few fan club members only shows, with guest vocalists exploring the back catalogue. Slash did a great album with guest vocalists so I see no reason why they couldn't. .

mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3667 posts

Posted: 15 Aug 12, 11:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I seriously cannot think of anyone on the planet who would get me remotely interested in a Queen+ thing. Stevie Wonder?!?

iLoveQueen11 user not visiting Queenzone.com
iLoveQueen11
Rocker: 16 posts

Posted: 15 Aug 12, 13:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Brian & Roger should stop trying to go for something new and tour with Tim Staffel. (I apologize if I spelled that wrong)

MadTheSwine73 user not visiting Queenzone.com
God Save The Queen
MadTheSwine73
Royalty: 1013 posts

Posted: 15 Aug 12, 14:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

iLoveQueen11 wrote:
I think Brian & Roger should stop trying to go for something new and tour with Tim Staffel. (I apologize if I spelled that wrong)

That would be great.

Any way the wind blows...
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 15 Aug 12, 16:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh yeah, Tim Staffel is such a highly regarded singer.

Sorry, Togg, but that's bollocks as a suggestion, or some such

Ozz user not visiting Queenzone.com
Chileno de Corazon
Ozz
Bohemian: 401 posts

Posted: 15 Aug 12, 20:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

George Michael.

Great singer and performer, and enough old to fit the band now.

Marc Martel it's awesome too.

Sadly im pretty sure they will choose someone based in money/marketing factors than musical ones

Tim Staffel will only fit in another smile reunion and he's not a professional musician anymore i think

I reign with my left hand I rule with my right

Sheer Brass Neck user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 719 posts

Posted: 15 Aug 12, 21:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie Nelson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW7YKHTzfgo&feature=related

While you're there, check out his Queen medley.  Rock chops, great guitar, can sing like a sonofabitch.  Only thing he's lacking is an appearance on a karaoke reality show so he's off Brian and Roger's radar because anyone who gets into Queen has to bring a demographic.  Freddie Nelson can't, but he'd give them credibility in the rock world, something the haven't had for about 20 years.

winterspelt user not visiting Queenzone.com
I'll be Bach
winterspelt
Bohemian: 691 posts

Posted: 15 Aug 12, 21:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Robbie Williams

Queen: Roger Taylor, Mike Grose, Freddie Mercury, Brian May.
tomchristie22 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Because the wind is high
tomchristie22
Deity: 2149 posts

Posted: 16 Aug 12, 01:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Staffel's voice isn't exactly what it was in 1969 anyway.

Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2392 posts

Posted: 16 Aug 12, 03:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I hope they use Jamie again, I feel Brian has a better chance to add touches that he has to drop if he is on his own, plus I think Jamie is a wonderful player and understands his role in the band perfectly.
It would be cool to see Roger and Rufus work together again too.
If this happens it could well be the last time they do go out properly so I hope they do it in style.

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3038 posts

Posted: 16 Aug 12, 03:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I disagree with Jamie being needed - whilst I like him, hes a great player and his involvement isn't detrimental, I was really pleasantly surprised at how good Brian was at Hammersmith, managing to put in a lot more subtle licks from the records which he didn't do even on the Paul Rodgers tour. A second guitar definitely wasn't missed.

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 16 Aug 12, 08:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What I'd like to see, knowing very well chances of it actually happening are slim, would be more focus on the music (which is what Brian and Roger are fantastic at) and less on trying to sell large venues or make headlines.

That would mean a different name of course (e.g. Taylor/May/...., or Taylor Mayed, or Meles meles, etc.) as it'd be a NEW band and, for once, NOT living in the past.

I'd love to see them as a three-piece with someone, exploting their own musicianship and bringing nice arrangements without keyboards or a second drummer. Sometimes less is more.

The third member should then, according to this plan, be a bassist, preferably a bassist/singer. No, not Roger Waters as he, genius as he is as a composer and lyricist, is barely a passable bassist and an awful singer (plus he's probably the one person in the world who's ego's as big as Brian's). Not Paul McCartney as he enjoys success with his own band (who are phenomenal, bar Wickens IMO) and he puts on a great show without having to call it Beatles+. The best choice, IMO, would be someone like Chris Squire or, even better (IMO) Roger Glover.

Such a collaboration would hardly attract the uneducated masses and the man in the street, but f*ck it'd be very popular amongst people who appreciate great music, even if they're a huge minority.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Vali user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vali
Deity: 2053 posts

Posted: 16 Aug 12, 09:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

amen, Sebastian. That´d be the correct path to follow .... at least from 10 years ago, I´d say.

Bring out the charge of the love brigade
The Kurgan user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Kurgan
Royalty: 1600 posts

Compliance Queen1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 67 posts

Posted: 16 Aug 12, 11:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Vocal: Brian, Roger & Mark Martel
Drums: Rufus + Roger
Guitar: Brian Only
Base: Dream John Deacon (we all want that right?) seriously the QE base player

Keyboard: Mark Martel when needed required--who needs Spike! or The QE dude if one feels an organ is absolutely necessary..

I would want a more organic sound something a little different. A few suprises and exploring back catalog. QE did a nice job with that.

2013 ..a Great Year in Queen

Silken user not visiting Queenzone.com
Silken
Bohemian: 272 posts

Posted: 16 Aug 12, 12:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

George Michael.

Russian Headlong user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 496 posts

Posted: 16 Aug 12, 16:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

paul rodgers.