Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Seven Seas of Rhye songwriting

forum rss feed
Author

tarkintheproud user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 18 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Aug 12, 15:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi,
I read on brian's soapbox a while back, that he said he had written the bridge I believe, of ssor. I just listened to the song , didnt notice any real trademarks of any of them* in the chords (they seemed like mostly diatonic chord progressions) except there was a touch of bluesiness in the bridge, which might have been Brian's input maybe? Can anyone else with more knowledge confirm or deny Brian's claim? Thanks

notimeforlosers user not visiting Queenzone.com
notimeforlosers
Bohemian: 176 posts

Posted: 21 Aug 12, 15:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian talks about it in the 'Days of our Lives' doc. Not very nice of him to claim having written something credited to Freddie, after his passing.

Posted: 21 Aug 12, 16:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yeah it may have been the documentary i heard it in come to think of it. Anyway it seemed a bit weird that he only mentioned that mostly recently, as far as I'm aware of. The band did talk about ssor quite a bit as well given it was their first hit.

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 21 Aug 12, 16:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

brian is becomeing more and more bitter and resentful in his older age

it's freddie's song....but you know what brian...you can claim the fucking bridge, the arsing intro, the cunting fade out, the titting chorus and both twatting verses if you like...but you're getting no song-writing royalties you money-grubber...so how's that grab you?

pity freddie isn't still around and he could lay claim to almost half of everything brian every wrote....because of the two of them musically - i suspect brian had more "help"

go deo na hÉireann
Holly2003 user is on Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts

Posted: 21 Aug 12, 16:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

brENsKi wrote:
pity freddie isn't still around and he could lay claim to almost half of everything brian every wrote....because of the two of them musically - i suspect brian had more "help"

Not sure about that. Brian has always come across as a stubborn person, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I get the impression most of his songs ended up pretty much as he wanted them to be. I can see Roger needing a lot of Fred's help though, especially with lyrics. But judging by some of Roger's finished lyrics, Fred must've been on holiday quite a lot!

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
brENsKi

Posted: 21 Aug 12, 16:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

but you have to accept the point. that if freddie were alive he could argue brian's claim and maybe make a few of his own

it's shoddy, shameful and downright c*ntish to do this of someone dead who can't answer back

and it's not the first time either...didn't Brian fuel the whole "who wrote what" QZ debate when he started claiming credit for specific "written by queen" tracks?

go deo na hÉireann
Holly2003 user is on Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts

Posted: 21 Aug 12, 16:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's certainly possible. Brian doesn't strike me as the type of person who would do that though. He's not Paul McCartney ...

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Missreclusive user not visiting Queenzone.com
Missreclusive
Bohemian: 666 posts

Posted: 21 Aug 12, 16:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

On that note. The lyrics book has a lot of Brians song lyrics written in Freddies hand...? I suppose Freddie would transpose lyrics in his hand so he could sing them, however, I find it very weird that none of what was written down for BoRhap is pictured in the book. I wondered why? Also, LOML (I think thats the one) has a huge picture of Brian accompanying the lyrics, instead of Freddie. I wondered about that one too. The lyrics book pictures all seem to be more about Brian and Roger, imho. Even though Freddie claimed he wasn't a lyricist or wasn't good at it, I think he may have contributed a lot more lyrics and music than they give him credit for. Of course, just speculation on my part. From everything I've read I begin to think that yes, Brian may have some jealousy towards Fred. Does it matter? no, not really.

Missreclusive

Posted: 21 Aug 12, 16:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You older Queen fans surely would be better at guessing who most likely wrote what, both lyrics and music.

MadTheSwine73 user not visiting Queenzone.com
God Save The Queen
MadTheSwine73
Royalty: 1013 posts

Posted: 22 Aug 12, 00:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian is Queen's Paul McCartney, while Freddie is Queen's John Lennon.

Any way the wind blows...
tomchristie22 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Because the wind is high
tomchristie22
Deity: 2149 posts

Posted: 22 Aug 12, 01:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

How so? I can see what you mean, but Lennon was a complete douche (he said so himself). People only started making him out as some sort of peace prophet after his death.

They probably all contributed somehow to each others songs at some point. It is a fairly low act to claim that without Freddie being there to deny or confirm it though.

Dane user not visiting Queenzone.com
No strings attached!
Dane
Bohemian: 691 posts

Posted: 22 Aug 12, 02:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I had the same kind of thing happen in my band.

I would write the basic structure of a song with a couple of parts missing like a solo or a bridge.
Then when you start to work on it with the rest of the band, some people will have great input and actually help you finish it.
So in effect they are co-composers.. but because the main outlines of the song were mine, and I brought it to the band the songs are mostly credited to me.

Which (as Brian stated) doesn't seem like that big a deal... until vast amounts of money will be made from the song.
So as part of a new documentary providing some new insights I think Brian did a good job explaining how these things occasionally happened. I don't see him complaining, just explaining.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Queen Visual Library (www.qvl.nl)
1sharppencil user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 129 posts

Posted: 22 Aug 12, 05:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"it's freddie's song....but you know what brian...you can claim the fucking bridge, the arsing intro, the cunting fade out, the titting chorus and both twatting verses if you like...but you're getting no song-writing royalties you money-grubber...so how's that grab you?"

<-----what he said!

Fone Bone user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 208 posts

Posted: 22 Aug 12, 06:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian is very jealous of Freddie's songwriting, and he has every reason to be.

I can deal with "I single-handedly wrote TSMGO", "'39 is the lost masterpiece of ANATO", "Prophet's Song would have been succesful as Bo Rhap", and "WWRY and TYMD are the ultimate Queen songs", but that SSOR quote is pretty low.

Without the Freddie SSOR / Killer Queen / Bo Rhap trifecta you would have had a completely different career, Doctor!

Let's remember KYA did not friggin' chart!

That said, Brian is awesome, naturally

brENsKi

Posted: 22 Aug 12, 08:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

1sharppencil wrote:
"it's freddie's song....but you know what brian...you can claim the fucking bridge, the arsing intro, the cunting fade out, the titting chorus and both twatting verses if you like...but you're getting no song-writing royalties you money-grubber...so how's that grab you?"
<-----what he said!

thanks..i felt that was amongst my finest work

go deo na hÉireann

Posted: 22 Aug 12, 09:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

it just seemed a little weird to me that brian didnt bring this up till recently. I actually think he's generally very fair with regards to songwriting credits, but so was the rest of the band, and i wonder why brian's input was never mentioned by freddie when he talked about the song, as he also seemed pretty fair with regards to credit.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if brian did indeed write the bridge, however I couldn't honestly can't tell because it seemed like the chord progressions in the song were something any of the four could have come up. I'm far from a musical expert though, so wanted to see if anyone with more knowledge of music/brian or fred's trademarks could spot other details that support or deny brian's claim.

brENsKi

Posted: 22 Aug 12, 10:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

be fucking fantastic if a demo turns up one day with freddie playing the whole song on piano (inc bridge)

go deo na hÉireann
Missreclusive

Posted: 22 Aug 12, 10:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian would have reason to grow more bitter as time went on. The biggest money making hits it seems were written by Freddie and John.

waunakonor user not visiting Queenzone.com
Let's fucking do it, darling!
waunakonor
Royalty: 1259 posts

Posted: 22 Aug 12, 10:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Geez, brENsKi, you're even more bitter than usual.

brENsKi wrote:
1sharppencil wrote:
<-----what he said!

thanks..i felt that was amongst my finest work

You going to add that to your signature, which already contains a couple quotes from you?

These are the days of our lives

They've flown in the swiftness of time.
brENsKi

Posted: 22 Aug 12, 10:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

think you're a bit muddled there....i have nothing to be "bitter" about...so i am not bitter
freddie's family and friends on the other hand may do
think about it....since Freddie's death, the song-count of "wholly written by Brian, or significant contribution by Brian...has steadily increased year on year...it's like he's saying "Freddie's dead...but i'm still alive...i'm still alive...i'm still alive...anyone? anyone? please"

odd that you jump on my comments, when other have said similar things...don't see you jumping down their throats

as regards the "finest work" line...that was a joke

although my comments do appear acerbic at times, they're far from bitter....just direct....i've lost enough personally in the last four years to be really bitter...but you don't...you carry on...it's the only way

go deo na hÉireann