Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Rhys Thomas is doing a Q&A session in reddit

forum rss feed
Author

Ozz user not visiting Queenzone.com
Chileno de Corazon
Ozz
Bohemian: 401 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Aug 12, 19:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/yywu6/iama_rhys_thomas_freddie_mercury_documentary/

Rhys Thomas director of the upcoming Freddie Mercury documentary ‘The Great Pretender’.

I reign with my left hand I rule with my right

tcc user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1581 posts

Posted: 28 Aug 12, 21:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Can somebody ask him whether Paul Rodgers was Freddie's favourite singer ?

Supersonic_Man89 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 241 posts

Posted: 28 Aug 12, 22:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Very decent read

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18639 posts

Posted: 28 Aug 12, 22:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Q: How long and extense was the Bob Harris 1977 bbc documentary about queen that's been used as source in many documentaries ?

A: Basically all the filming had been completed but nothing assembled. So lots of footage of the band but it had no linking device. We found the whole thing which hadn't been touched for 30 years. We almost wet ourselves watching it through. There is still a lot more in glorious HD that one day we plan to finish of and release, perhaps to accompany some shows from that 77 US tour.

------

^ Best thing I've read all year.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
on my way up user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2186 posts

Posted: 29 Aug 12, 01:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Real Wizard wrote:
Q: How long and extense was the Bob Harris 1977 bbc documentary about queen that's been used as source in many documentaries ?
A: Basically all the filming had been completed but nothing assembled. So lots of footage of the band but it had no linking device. We found the whole thing which hadn't been touched for 30 years. We almost wet ourselves watching it through. There is still a lot more in glorious HD that one day we plan to finish of and release, perhaps to accompany some shows from that 77 US tour.
------

^I agree.
I almost wet myself when I read:
"perhaps to accompany some shows from that 77 US tour"

on my way up
tomchristie22 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Because the wind is high
tomchristie22
Deity: 2149 posts

Posted: 29 Aug 12, 02:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My goodness.. I was under the impression portions of it were lost!

cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3040 posts

Posted: 29 Aug 12, 05:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This should be getting more notice here - he also confirms that the forthcoming Freddie documentary will air snippets of There Must Be More to Life Than This with Michael Jackson, along with recording with Rod Stewart, which I assume is Let Me Live.

Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2393 posts

Posted: 29 Aug 12, 08:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Real Wizard wrote:
------

This is the best news in ages, I really really hope that happens...please someone at QP read this and work on it!!

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2393 posts

Posted: 29 Aug 12, 08:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For what it's worth I emailed this to Brian's site and said, if true it is something the fans would really want to see...

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
Mr.QueenFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.QueenFan
Royalty: 1412 posts

Posted: 29 Aug 12, 10:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Real Wizard wrote:
------

This is a treasure, and i´m glad Bob Harris did it!

And thanks to OZZ for bringing this up to my atention. Really apreciated the reading.

The Real Wizard

Posted: 29 Aug 12, 12:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A couple hours of this 1977 footage on DVD or blu-ray would be an absolute goldmine. 20 songs from various shows, interviews and backstage footage as extras.

Nothing could possibly top this.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

Ghostwithasmile is BACK! user not visiting Queenzone.com
Ghostwithasmile is BACK!
Bohemian: 940 posts

Posted: 29 Aug 12, 12:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Real Wizard wrote: Q: How long and extense was the Bob Harris 1977 bbc documentary about queen that's been used as source in many documentaries ?

------

He is talking about "some shows from that 77 tour"which mean more shows than 1... Which ones could these be  ? And are they 1 camera only like the HOuston footage filmed from the mixing desk as seen on tatDOOL docu ?

2nd. Question : is there any statement know WHEN EXACTLY Harris started and stopped shooting documentary footage ?

Keep your fingers crossed for the LA 77 show... slim chanche... at least they were with the band Noveber 12th... at Houston...

The Real Wizard

Posted: 29 Aug 12, 14:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dec 11 you mean .. !

Fort Worth and Vegas are likely candidates, as they have been mentioned in the past. I wonder how much of that alt angle of Houston exists .. ?

Ghostwithasmile is BACK! user not visiting Queenzone.com
Ghostwithasmile is BACK!
Bohemian: 940 posts

Posted: 29 Aug 12, 15:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Real Wizard wrote:
Dec 11 you mean .. !
Fort Worth and Vegas are likely candidates, as they have been mentioned in the past. I wonder how much of that alt angle of Houston exists .. ?

Ah yes december 11 , before my post i took a quick look at your website and forgot how we turn the month and day around.

But any idea when Harris started filming and
the day he stopped following the band?

Kevinrm15 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 273 posts

Posted: 29 Aug 12, 16:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I hope they can make this doc like The Who's The Kids Are Alright(Best rock film EVER!!), and show complete performance footage of songs over the years with NO VOICE OVERS!

djcamper user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 170 posts

Posted: 29 Aug 12, 17:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He's answering again currently, so you can test your luck.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Q:Can you tell what's the last date when Freddie recorded in studio? There is a lot of contradictory information about that. Some say it was in May, while others say it was in October-November during the last visit to Montreux.

A:I have asked the same question to Greg Brooks, you will have to ask him. I think October is right.

Posted: 29 Aug 12, 17:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow, October. Surprises me if true.

Wiley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts

Posted: 29 Aug 12, 18:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think this guy is the best thing to happen to the Queen camp in a lot of time, along with Gary Taylor.

I am very excited at the possibility of some of that 1977 footage being released in HD. Even if it's not a full show, it would be an awesome documentary. However, it doesn't sound to me like that's even in the works just something that he believes would be great to do.

Posted: 29 Aug 12, 18:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, seems like a genuine nerd like us :)

Interesting to think what the state of the Queen DVDs would be without him.

Ozz user not visiting Queenzone.com
Chileno de Corazon
Ozz
Bohemian: 401 posts

Posted: 29 Aug 12, 20:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So Rainbow is there... waiting to be released... wonderful.

And... there's time to show some love to tim staffel in that thread too.

Remember to Upvote the Thing...

and visit

reddit.com/r/queen

:D

I reign with my left hand I rule with my right