Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > BRIAN GIVES A WHINGING FAN A PIECE OF HIS MIND

forum rss feed
Author

Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3184 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Aug 12, 23:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pwned.

I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 12, 00:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good on you, Brian.
I can understand why the guitar solo was an odd choice as far as the general public goes, but take it from someone who plays - it wasn't exactly same ol' same ol'. It was a little different, he mucked around with some dissonant stuff, and it took Godzilla sized balls for him to do that on live TV in front of billions of people.

I still reckon Jessie J was a bad move, and no brutal rebuke from Brian would change my mind on that one. I remain proud of the two fellas for getting up and doing what they do best, though.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 12, 04:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Regardless of the views expressed about music and costumes, Brian really has made an ass out of himself again here. He has chosen this letter to make a grand statement that he doesn't only respond to gushing praise on his Soapbox. So what does he then do? He belittles the fan and tells him - and presumably anyone else not totally 100% in agreement with Brian's views -- not to write to his Soapbox again! He is seriously deranged.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
tcc user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1581 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 12, 04:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian seems to be a scary person to meet.  I don't think I want to meet him in person in case I say the wrong thing and he will just let go his temper in public.

Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 30 Aug 12, 04:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Even though I wasn't the biggest fan of the performance (not because of Brian but because of Jessie J's terrible vocal performance), I wouldn't give it much thought, and move on. This Mark guy seems like an idiot: First he tries to sound all impressive (bragging about how big of a fan he was), then makes a wrong assumption that Brian only replies to "yes people" (then indirectly insults fans).

The guy clearly hasn't listened to the audio recordings of Brian's guitar solo, then makes stupid comments about clothes.

I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 12, 05:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Gregsynth wrote:
Even though I wasn't the biggest fan of the performance (not because of Brian but because of Jessie J's terrible vocal performance), I wouldn't give it much thought, and move on. This Mark guy seems like an idiot: First he tries to sound all impressive (bragging about how big of a fan he was), then makes a wrong assumption that Brian only replies to "yes people" (then indirectly insults fans).
The guy clearly hasn't listened to the audio recordings of Brian's guitar solo, then makes stupid comments about clothes.

So you want to discuss the substance of the guy's comments rather than Brian's idiotic response. Okay.

Gregsynth wrote: Even though I wasn't the biggest fan of the performance (not because of Brian but because of Jessie J's terrible vocal performance), I wouldn't give it much thought, and move on.

Brian is more than happy to discuss positive responses to his performance though ...

Gregsynth wrote:This Mark guy seems like an idiot: First he tries to sound all impressive (bragging about how big of a fan he was), then makes a wrong assumption that Brian only replies to "yes people"

Alternatively he might just be saying to Bran that he's not some random idiot, that he is an actual fan, and that DESPITE THAT, he thought Brian's performance was less than stellar. I'm not a big follower of Brian's Soapbox but it looks to me that Brian DOES surrond himself wth yes men and he DOES only respond to gushing praise. IF anything, his response just confirms that.

Gregsynth wrote:The guy clearly hasn't listened to the audio recordings of Brian's guitar solo

Well he's in good company then as 99.999999% of the world's population hasn't heard it either.

Gregsynth wrote: then makes stupid comments about clothes.

I agree, this is one comment that coud';ve been left out. But presumably positive comments about clothes are fine? Brian

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
tcc user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1581 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 12, 08:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

qz08927 wrote:
tcc wrote:
Brian seems to be a scary person to meet.  I don't think I want to meet him in person in case I say the wrong thing and he will just let go his temper in public.

Rubbish

I don't think you are the type of person I want to meet in person either   :-)

Mr.QueenFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.QueenFan
Royalty: 1412 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 12, 08:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian was too soft on this guy!
First of all, he shouldn´t even waste is time or site space with idiots like that. There´s plenty of room for that here in Queenzone.
Brian has to learn not to take idiots seriously. They´re idiots for a reason. He wasn´t even trying to express an opinion, he was just trying to make Brian feels like shit and bring him down to his level of misery. To say that Roger was dressed like Jessie J´s pimp was just another way of calling Jessie J a slut. A sneaky way of doing it so, using language that only mediocre people use.

Brian played beautifully on the Olympics, and Queen and Jesie J did a great job. I realy loved to see Roger Taylor looking so healthier as i stated before. I accept that it wasn´t everybody´s cup of tea, but they can´t please evrybody!
And i´m glad that Brian isn´t taking shit like this too seriously, and is continuing to get up and play the guitar.

winterspelt user not visiting Queenzone.com
I'll be Bach
winterspelt
Bohemian: 691 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 12, 10:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I usually dont care about this kind of stuff but I must admit that Brian did the right thing:
That letter was useless, rude and out of the place.

If that guy is a "fan since the 70s" or not, is not the point. Everybody can claim to be a Queen fan since 1972, who cares? That guy could be a liar...

Now, everybody is entitled to have an opinion: In my point of view, I felt a disappointed with the performance at the olympics, but there are ways to express an opinion and this guy was there, pretending to be "a long time fan" (Why did he wrote that? To "gain some respect"? To "show how much he knows about the band"?) There are different ways to show how much we dislike (or hate)a performance without being rude...

And, what about Brian's clothes? Does his (really ugly) clothes' designs affected his playing? No. As far as I remember, he didnt hit a bad note... Freddie used some really awful outfits too and his performances used to be amazing most of the times...

So yeah, that guy got what he deserved...
Brian did the right thing.

Queen: Roger Taylor, Mike Grose, Freddie Mercury, Brian May.
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 30 Aug 12, 13:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roger looked great at the olympics!

Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 30 Aug 12, 14:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Holly2003 wrote:
Gregsynth wrote:

So you want to discuss the substance of the guy's comments rather than Brian's idiotic response. Okay.

Gregsynth wrote: Even though I wasn't the biggest fan of the performance (not because of Brian but because of Jessie J's terrible vocal performance), I wouldn't give it much thought, and move on.

Brian is more than happy to discuss positive responses to his performance though ...

Gregsynth wrote:This Mark guy seems like an idiot: First he tries to sound all impressive (bragging about how big of a fan he was), then makes a wrong assumption that Brian only replies to "yes people"

Alternatively he might just be saying to Bran that he's not some random idiot, that he is an actual fan, and that DESPITE THAT, he thought Brian's performance was less than stellar. I'm not a big follower of Brian's Soapbox but it looks to me that Brian DOES surrond himself wth yes men and he DOES only respond to gushing praise. IF anything, his response just confirms that.

Gregsynth wrote:The guy clearly hasn't listened to the audio recordings of Brian's guitar solo

Well he's in good company then as 99.999999% of the world's population hasn't heard it either.

Gregsynth wrote: then makes stupid comments about clothes.

I agree, this is one comment that coud';ve been left out. But presumably positive comments about clothes are fine? Brian

Yes, I will discuss the guy's comments because his post was rude and uncalled for. There are other ways to write similar (but more polite) comments. Brian put the guy in his place. It's common sense to discuss only the positives about a performance on a public site, but I do remember seeing some less than enthusiastic posts concerning the Queen and Paul Rodgers collaboration from years back (Brian did reply to those).

The guy came off as a random idiot by using ad hominem attacks (the Roger Taylor comment), making a stupid comment about the clothes (he shouldn't have even mentioned it, since clothes have nothing to do with a music performance), and writing false information down (about the guitar solo). If he was as big as a fan that he claims (he writes that he collects stuff), he would know that Brian's guitar solo has been different throughout the years.

I'm sure if the guy worded his post different, Brian wouldn't have responded the way he did.

Donna13 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1683 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 12, 14:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It was nice of Brian to share such an interesting letter from a fan with the rest of us. It makes me feel closer to him.

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 12, 16:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yes. absolutely, the guy - a paying customer had no right whatsoever to voice his opinion

so either the guy's comments are wrong and Brian's are wrong too, or both comments are ok

go deo na hÉireann
brENsKi

Posted: 30 Aug 12, 16:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

tcc wrote:

if you go dressed as a fox or badger Brian will be really nice to you

go deo na hÉireann
Fireplace user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 889 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 12, 16:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yup, that's what you get for telling the truth these days. I agree with Mark on all counts, except the clothing which I find totally uninteresting. Freddie usually wore hardly anything at all and got away with it.

The Brighton Rock solo has become devoid of any subtlety throughout the years (compare to the Live Killers version, especially the clean part), and although many of the youngsters here may believe Jessie J. a much more reputable singer than Paul Rodgers, I beg to differ. That said, Mark was also right in concluding that Queen-something were still better than most acts on the day.

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 12, 19:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Holly2003 wrote:
Regardless of the views expressed about music and costumes, Brian really has made an ass out of himself again here. He has chosen this letter to make a grand statement that he doesn't only respond to gushing praise on his Soapbox. So what does he then do? He belittles the fan and tells him - and presumably anyone else not totally 100% in agreement with Brian's views -- not to write to his Soapbox again! He is seriously deranged.

Exactly.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Missreclusive user not visiting Queenzone.com
Missreclusive
Bohemian: 666 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 12, 20:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not deranged necessarily, insecure could be a word and in need of continual approval or validation.

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 12, 20:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I do understand how frustrating it must be for him to be a professional musician and carefully compose a great solo, just for some random bloke to tell him off for using (some of) it forty years later. I do, however, think Brian should've learnt how to cope with that a long time ago and, indeed, I think his response confirms he DOES have a lot of trouble when facing people other than stepfords.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts

Posted: 31 Aug 12, 04:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

...and the battle between stepfords and realists is raging again on QZ...

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

brENsKi

Posted: 31 Aug 12, 06:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

perhaps another reason why queen (these days) aren't taken seriously? brian's seems to want approval too much

his contemporaries, page, blackmore, gilmour, iommi, lifeson etc...just do their thing without having to rag someone who makes any kind of critical comment

go deo na hÉireann