Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Marc Martel performing with Brian & Roger at the Freddie for a Day benefit

forum rss feed
Author

AdamMethos user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 421 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Aug 12, 15:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Marc's latest tweet!

Marc Martel @marcmartel
I'll be performing with Roger Taylor and Brian May on Monday at the Savoy in London for the "Freddie For A Day" benefit. #FreddieForADay

Anyone from here going?

kosimodo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 554 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 12, 15:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i bet the crowd goes nuts.. and Brian and Roger do get it afterwards... I see a tour coming;)

99jaystang user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 154 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 12, 16:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I did hear his band is breaking up at the end of the year.... Should I go buy a lottery ticket?

pipijolk user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 30 Aug 12, 16:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This HAD to happen, even if it is just this once, (which I hope it isn't) they had to brave the waters and embrace the potential of the gift of music they can still perform.

Can't wait to see this. Can't wait

cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3040 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 12, 17:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Can't wait to see if they suddenly realise what they have with him out front.

I may be putting 2 + 2 together and making 347, but with them playing together 'on the sly' (maybe as a trial), Martel's band of many years splitting, and Spike saying he's hoping for a big (as yet unnamed) world tour next year, I'm really hoping for something is planned out of this!

Missreclusive user not visiting Queenzone.com
Missreclusive
Bohemian: 666 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 12, 17:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ohhhh! I wish I could be there, I so wish!!! Someone pleeeeeeeeease record this! I'm begging. If they never do it again I want to enjoy it.

Missreclusive

Posted: 30 Aug 12, 17:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wish I had the money, I would fly there to see that show. I am so jealous of you who get to go! Dont miss that one!

Posted: 30 Aug 12, 17:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And, really, this is the perfect event, venue, to get up on stage and deliver some tunes. It is an event where you're likely to get a fair and honest reaction from those in attendance. It is a light-hearted event (despite the absence of Freddie, it goes without saying) with comedy and amusement, and then cap it off with some brilliant performances and you could sweep everyone off their feet in amazement. It has that kind of potential.

Mr.QueenFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.QueenFan
Royalty: 1412 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 12, 18:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Things are going good for Marc Martel and I wish him all the success he deserves.

Derk user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 1 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 12, 18:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

99jaystang wrote: I did hear his band is breaking up at the end of the year.... Should I go buy a lottery ticket?

His band, downhere, is not breaking up.  They are putting their touring ministry on a hiatus for a while.

winterspelt user not visiting Queenzone.com
I'll be Bach
winterspelt
Bohemian: 691 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 12, 19:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Im usually happy when the Brian and Roger play with another people, but I kind of feel very wrong that they will play with a Freddie imitator...

While I do accept the fact that Martel can sing (I saw QE live) I hope that Martel stop pretending to be Freddie Mercury and act like Marc Martel.

Queen: Roger Taylor, Mike Grose, Freddie Mercury, Brian May.
BelfastQueenFan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 30 Aug 12, 19:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

WHy would he stop acting like Freddie Mercury when he was in a Queen TRIBUTE band? That makes, like no sense. Secondly, he naturally sounds like Freddie that's the point. He cant alter his vocal chords.

Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3184 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 12, 19:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Marc Martel isn't a Freddie imitator.

I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
Missreclusive

Posted: 30 Aug 12, 19:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So true, he isn't a Freddie imitator at all.

Who of you will attend? I need to know so I can direct my jealousy where it needs to go. lol

Posted: 30 Aug 12, 19:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

BelfastQueenFan wrote:
WHy would he stop acting like Freddie Mercury when he was in a Queen TRIBUTE band? That makes, like no sense. Secondly, he naturally sounds like Freddie that's the point. He cant alter his vocal chords.

Yes, agree. His cheek-bones and jaw structure are very similar to Freddie, so it isn't far-fetched to think they might have 'similar' qualities to their vocals. That is the appeal for me, the similar tonality, as Roger stated.

And as far as how he acts, it is a difficult spot for him, and I think he has been better off handling his stage presence the way he has been doing on tour.

I think he's trying to maintain a proper balance that is difficult to narrow down. He doesn't want to be TOO much like Freddie, as some tribute bands play up, and he doesn't want to be too aloof to the whole Queen vibe to the point where he might be criticized for being too much like he doesn't care. He doesn't have the clout a Paul Rodgers has where "Paul Rodgers can be Paul Rodgers".

If he doesn't fit the bill in the exact right way, there will be criticism from both sides. Either too much like Freddie, or too aloof to the Queen legacy. That is criticism reserved for the harsher critics, as the middle ground probably would be more forgiving if Marc isn't PERFECT in every way conceivable.

Missreclusive

Posted: 30 Aug 12, 20:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You guys have to forgive me (or not!) for the many posts in this thread. I am like a stupid teenager over this one and will be anxious to see how it plays out.

I agree pipijolk, but then there will certainly be criticism no matter what. I do think Marc will rise to it and be great no matter what. Like you stated, it's the tonality, along with range that he brings to Queen legacy. If he relaxes and has a ton of fun with it, it will be infectious and the crowd will go nuts! He certainly has the talent.

winterspelt user not visiting Queenzone.com
I'll be Bach
winterspelt
Bohemian: 691 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 12, 22:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

BelfastQueenFan wrote:

I was talking about Marc acting like Freddie while singing with Roger and Brian, perhaps I should have written my prev post in a better way, sorry!

Let me try again:

I know QE is basically a tribute band, and I know Marc "have" to sing like Freddie, but I also know that the guy have his own style and while his voice may sound like Freddie's, he (Marc) have his own personality... His voice may sound like Freddie's but his style is different and that style does change the whole picture.
The fact that his voice is similar to Freddie doesnt means that he have to sing like Freddie. In the same way, somebody using Brian's gear will never sound like Brian unless you are an imitator.

With that in mind, I hope that if the Queen gig becomes reality, it could be "Queen + Marc Martel" (or whetever they call it) instead of "Queen + Marc Martel, the guy from QE who basically imitates Freddie"

Queen: Roger Taylor, Mike Grose, Freddie Mercury, Brian May.
the dude 1366 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 208 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 12, 22:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I saw Marc Martel on the Extravaganza tour. There are some natural similarities, but Marc is NOT an imitator. Also, the crowd loved him. He is even better live than you would expect.

the dude 1366 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 208 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 12, 23:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just to add to my last thingy..
This would be the best way to finish off a career. We know it can't be much longer than a few more years

Posted: 30 Aug 12, 23:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the dude 1366 wrote:
Just to add to my last thingy..
This would be the best way to finish off a career. We know it can't be much longer than a few more years

True, if they have any unfinished business with regard to the "sound" of music (of Freddie) they have gathered over the years this might be the opportunity to explore by sitting down in a recording studio for a week or two to see what transpires, if anything.