Forums > Queen - General Discussion > SACHA Baron Cohen is having vocal coaching so he can sing like the late Fre

forum rss feed
Author

flash00. user not visiting Queenzone.com
flash00.
Royalty: 1422 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Sep 12, 13:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SACHA Baron Cohen is having vocal coaching so he can sing like the late Freddie Mercury..(more)
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/posts/view/269350/Sacha-Baron-Cohen-s-Kind-Of-Magic/

oo la la
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12697 posts

Posted: 01 Sep 12, 14:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Coaching would be a start. Next step would be to, I dunno ... change the shape of his skull, his nasal cavity, the dimensions of his entire throat, the vocal cords themselves ...

Really good impersonators are sort of clued-in to using the voice like a synthesiser - paying attention to the minute details of whoever it is they're aping, and then modulating the aspects of their voice to get as close as they can to it. I'm not knocking SBC, but I've never seen him do anything that'd suggest he's that good a vocalist or impersonator-person.

Dunno why they don't just dub the singing in. *shrug*

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
kosimodo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 550 posts

Posted: 01 Sep 12, 15:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Impossible to sing like Him...

He is gonna get an oscar for his role of Freddie though...

BelfastQueenFan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 01 Sep 12, 18:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:
Coaching would be a start. Next step would be to, I dunno ... change the shape of his skull, his nasal cavity, the dimensions of his entire throat, the vocal cords themselves ...
Really good impersonators are sort of clued-in to using the voice like a synthesiser - paying attention to the minute details of whoever it is they're aping, and then modulating the aspects of their voice to get as close as they can to it. I'm not knocking SBC, but I've never seen him do anything that'd suggest he's that good a vocalist or impersonator-person.
Dunno why they don't just dub the singing in. *shrug*

He was pretty good in his Sweeney Todd performance which he sung in.

ANAGRAMER user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 673 posts

Posted: 02 Sep 12, 00:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Difficult one to pull off
Another issue would be that Freddie's voice changed and he became a much more powerful live singer circa 1980
Then, of course, his voice did suffer a bit live from the American leg of HS tour only to be back bang on form at Live Aid

I

Man from Zanzibar user not visiting Queenzone.com
Man from Zanzibar
Champion: 65 posts

Posted: 02 Sep 12, 01:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh my precious baby Lord, can't wait for Sasha to start dancing around at the talk shows as Freddie. After all of his masterpieces as Borat, Bruno, the Dictator and others, it's inevitable, right? Right? *pissed off face*

jere1979 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 22 posts

Posted: 02 Sep 12, 09:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

with the right vocal coach. he could absolutely do it! cant wait!

jeremiah
AdamMethos user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 421 posts

Posted: 02 Sep 12, 16:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think SBC needs to sing just like Freddie, not to the extent that Gary Mullen or even Marc Martel does.

There are Queen tribute band singers with just a passing resemblance to Freddie's voice, and the resemblance is more in their pronunciation and diction when singing than vocal tone. But once they put on the costume and break out the Freddie moves, that's enough to sell the illusion to the audience. I think that's all SBC has to aim for.

I don't think scenes with Freddie singing are going to make up a major part of the movie timewise anyway since it's a drama and not a concert film or even a musical.

tomchristie22 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Because the wind is high
tomchristie22
Deity: 2143 posts

Posted: 03 Sep 12, 01:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He returns

tomchristie22 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Because the wind is high
tomchristie22
Deity: 2143 posts

Posted: 03 Sep 12, 06:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Stop embarrassing yourself for christ's sake!

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6246 posts

Posted: 03 Sep 12, 06:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It is worth pointing out here that qz08927 (a.k.a. Jeremy Kapone) is spamming this board because he honestly believes that Brian May and Roger Taylor would have chosen him, the whiny, talentless ego-maniac he accuses S.B.C. to be, over Cohen to play Freddie in the upcoming movie. He needs, in this particular order,
1) a ban from QZ
2) mental healthcare
3) a good talking-to from his mum and dad.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

uponthesands01 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 13 posts

Posted: 03 Sep 12, 09:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

NEWS JUST IN
SACHA Baron Cohen is having medical surgery to have his vocal cords tune into freddies

emrabt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1113 posts

Posted: 03 Sep 12, 09:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

WHO THE HELL DOES HE THINK HE IS?
=====================================

You've spent 200 and 6 posts telling us he thinks he's freddie mercury now you are asking who he thinks he is?

emrabt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1113 posts

Posted: 03 Sep 12, 09:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bob hoskins As freddy mercury

Jimmy o bowie as david bowie

Bon jovi and michael parkinson

AdamMethos user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 421 posts

Posted: 03 Sep 12, 11:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thomasquinn 32989 wrote:
It is worth pointing out here that qz08927 (a.k.a. Jeremy Kapone) is spamming this board

qz08927 isn't Jeremy Kapone, just some fan who seems obsessed with obscure French artists.

When the Queen Extravaganza contest was running last fall, he/she spammed several boards and YouTube promoting Raphael Donadieu, a Queen tribute band singer from France.

With all the "research" qz08927 has done for the biopic, I'm amazed that he/she hasn't realized that in the past, many comedians have turned out to be excellent dramatic actors. I remember reading an article about this that suggested the best comedians have a real understanding of human nature and the human condition. They usually use this understanding for comedic effect but it can be just as useful in drama.

TheVisibleMan user not visiting Queenzone.com
TheVisibleMan
Champion: 99 posts

Posted: 03 Sep 12, 12:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i think he is an better actor than he has shown yet. He is a smart guy and playing such dumb characters is still acting. I could imagine that he really will surprise some of us. And he guarantees, that the movie will be a Blockbuster. "Borat playing Freddie?" Many people will want to see it. And then i hope comes the big surprise, as he shows he really can do drama

my english is shit, but i don't care ;)