Author

DJGreg user not visiting Queenzone.com
DJGreg
Bohemian: 121 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Sep 12, 12:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ian Trenfield wrote:

Hi Brian,

I just wanted to ask you a quick question - the track "Fork In The Road" by Jonathan Kelly, which features you on guitar, is currently unreleased. Many different sources (including the Queen Fan Club's own biography) list the track as originated from around 1989. However, somebody emailed me through my website about an email they had received from Jonathan's website, as follows:

"Fork In The Road" hasn't been released because I think that the tapes have been lost, what I can tell you is that it was recorded with Jonathan when Brian May was in Smile, Jonathan knew Tim Staffell who was in Smile and later joined Jonathan in his band, I'm sure he would have made more money had he stayed with Brian May. Jonathan used to buy clothes from Freddies market stall and met Brian and the other members of Smile, he suggested they join him in the studio to try out a few songs. Jonathan has told me that they did not just record the song "Fork In The Road" but that they recorded three(3) songs, he isn't sure what the other titles are called. I would love to hear this song myself. It is often quoted on Websites that this song was recorded around the 1990's this isn't true it was recorded around 1970

So my question to you is, do you have any recollections of the recording of this track, how it came about, and the appoximate year of recording? And also, do you have a copy in your own personal archive?

Many thanks in advance if you choose to reply,``
Ian

---

Brian replied:

Ah ! Yes, I do have a copy of "Fork in the Road " ...

I did a few other things with them too ...

but I think this was the one that really got finished ...

Unreleased, is it ?

Hmm ..

I wonder what Jon himself thinks about it ... I would be the last person to leak someone else's stuff to get ripped off on the Net !!! I have sat on my work with Axl for .... well, some years now ! That burns !!

But a trust is a trust ... same with Jon .. I actually haven't heard from him for ages ...

Love

b

© brianmay.com

dysan user not visiting Queenzone.com
dysan
Royalty: 1588 posts

Posted: 08 Sep 12, 13:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"the popular misconception of counting The Man From Manhattan as a Smile track"

!

cmsdrums user is on Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3035 posts

Posted: 08 Sep 12, 15:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That's quite an interesting question and reply - cheers

Dane user not visiting Queenzone.com
No strings attached!
Dane
Bohemian: 691 posts

Posted: 12 Sep 12, 03:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Interesting reply?? What I read is:

"I have the song somewhere..
..did some other stuff with the bloke as well...
..no idea what happened with it...
..music on the interwebs is bad mkay...
..cheers"

boils down to:

"A recording of the song exists"

well.. ok.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Queen Visual Library (www.qvl.nl)
1sharppencil user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 129 posts

Posted: 12 Sep 12, 12:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

sth else for Queen archivists to consider for the "anthologies"...smiles/chuckles