Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Time For Marc Martel To Move 0n 2.0 (Revised)

forum rss feed
Author

YAFF user not visiting Queenzone.com
YAFF
Bohemian: 330 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Sep 12, 00:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I find it disgusting and utterly daft at the number of numbskulls who are crying out for Brian & Roger to perform with Marc Martel. Why on earth would they do that? Martel is close but he isn't Freddie. Freddie Mercury wasn't just a voice. ZeBONKER's says "the kid deserves a s shot." Why? Huh? Let's see.... has he written a song anywhere near as good as Freddie Mercury? Has he exhibited the uncanny ability to captivate a crowd of 300,000 people? What has he done to "earn a shot"?
So what he can do a great Freddie impression. So does Gary Mullen. So do others. How has he "earned" it? He's become famous for imitating someone musically superior to himself. He's gained a lot from all this exposure but he hasn't "earned" the right to record with Brian & Roger "in the style of" Freddie Mercury. He isn't as good as Freddie. If you can't hear the difference then you never really listened to Freddie.
I'm not a fan of Queen + PR or Queen + AL or even them going out as Queen + but at least they didn't go the Journey route and find a near replica of their lead singer. That is the epitome of phoniness and would be extremely disrespectful to the memory of Freddie Mercury. You "fans" who want them to play and record with Martel are simply mad.
It's NOT GONNA HAPPEN. (I hope). Once QE is done I believe that will be the end of Marc Martel's direct involvement with the Queen organization. At least it should be. He sounds "too much like Freddie" but HE AIN'T FREDDIE. It's one thing to sanction and give support to a tribute band but to reduce yourself to one is just the bottom.
This is not a slam against Martel. He has a great voice and seems like a great guy. He can now take his new fame and carve out his own niche' instead of leeching off of Freddie's....or he can spend the rest of his life exploiting his resemblance to a musical genius....but never being one.

Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3169 posts

Posted: 10 Sep 12, 00:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Marc Martel isn't a Freddie impersonator--his voice happens to "fit" with Queen songs very well. I'd much rather have Marc sing Queen songs than Adam Lambert (he can actually sing the songs).

I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12697 posts

Posted: 10 Sep 12, 00:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Great post. It's just the meth talking, I'm sure.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 2945 posts

Posted: 10 Sep 12, 07:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's not a case of always doing justice or not insulting to Freddie, it's actually the music that is the star of the show, and Martel just happens to be the person that can do justice in a good way to the songs - far more than Rodgers or Lambert, regardless of any positive elements they may have brought in certain ways.

tomchristie22 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Because the wind is high
tomchristie22
Deity: 2142 posts

Posted: 10 Sep 12, 07:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The post might hold more weight if Martel looked or sounded at all like a Freddie impersonator.

AdamMethos user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 421 posts

Posted: 10 Sep 12, 08:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Don't worry. YAFF secretly LOVES Marc but is just in major denial. Just look at the Freudian slip in the title of this post -- "Time For Marc Martel To Move In" instead of "Time For Marc Martel To Move On"! ;-)

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 10 Sep 12, 09:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Birth name Brian Harold May
Born (1947-07-19) 19 July 1947 (age 65)

Birth name Roger Meddows Taylor
Born (1949-07-26) 26 July 1949 (age 63)

Quit picking on the elderly.

Posted: 10 Sep 12, 09:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

But seriously...

YAFF wrote:
Once QE is done I believe that will be the end of Marc Martel's direct involvement with the Queen organization. At least it should be. He sounds too much like Freddie but HE AIN'T FREDDIE. It's one thing to sanction and give support to a tribute band but to reduce yourself to one is just the bottom.

This is not a slam against Martel. He has a great voice and seems like a great guy. He can now take his new fame and carve out his own niche' instead of leeching off of Freddie's.

IMO any band that is not putting out new music is already a tribute band of themselves...

I don't think MM was ever in this to leech off Freddie's fame to get more of his own because:

- "Tribute band singer" was never his career goal. He loves to write and perform his own music.
- Since the audition video went viral he's said things like he never thought his sounding like Freddie is remarkable because there are other guys out there that sound like Freddie too; and if the Queen thing ends tomorrow, he'll still be a happy guy.
- He believes that God has led him down this path by giving him a voice like Freddie's, by the QE contest happening at a time when his band was taking time off, etc.

Anyway MM's contract with QE is up at the end of the year. I think he loves performing with QE and, since he doesn't seem to have any concrete plans for next year, he's open to continuing some more. But I don't think he'll have a problem moving on when it's over.

That said, I've noticed that once people become part of the Queen "family", their association with Queen tends to last beyond the initial job, e.g. JSS, many SAS band members. So I suspect that even after QE is over, they might still ask MM to do one-offs like the Freddie for a Day.

YAFF

Posted: 10 Sep 12, 09:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

AdamMethos wrote:
Don't worry. YAFF secretly LOVES Marc but is just in major denial. Just look at the Freudian slip in the title of this post -- "Time For Marc Martel To Move In" instead of "Time For Marc Martel To Move On"! ;-)

LOL. It sure was a gaffe from YAFF but not a Freudian slip. I changed it.

Missreclusive user not visiting Queenzone.com
Missreclusive
Bohemian: 666 posts

Posted: 10 Sep 12, 10:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

lol...is right! I agree with all except of course YAFF. Why cant we enjoy Queen legacy the way it should sound? QE is great but MM with Rog and Bri is really sweet, if ever it could happen. I doubt it will. Disrespect for Freddie??? HARDLY. It keeps Freddies memory alive and well and growing to new fans. Marc has the talent to preserve that sound we all love. QE is wonderful, but Rog and Bri with MM would be awesome. MM has the personality to do it without trampling all over Rog and Bri. mho. It's really a stupid argument. Yaff, how do you know he cant write songs that are worthy? I wouldn't be bold enough to say that, he may "grow" into it and do some great music.

Missreclusive

Posted: 10 Sep 12, 10:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YAFF wrote:
AdamMethos wrote:

And on that note, thanks YAFF for bringing MM back into the threads!

Missreclusive

Posted: 10 Sep 12, 10:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

double

YAFF

Posted: 10 Sep 12, 10:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

tomchristie22 wrote:
The post might hold more weight if Martel looked or sounded at all like a Freddie impersonator.

whaaaaaaaaat?

YAFF

Posted: 10 Sep 12, 10:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:
Great post. It's just the meth talking, I'm sure.

naw I'm more a whiskey man

YAFF

Posted: 10 Sep 12, 10:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Missreclusive wrote:
YAFF wrote:
AdamMethos wrote:

And on that note, thanks YAFF for bringing MM back into the threads!

Didn't seem like he'd left. There's actual QE fans on here. I've heard some nitwits say they are better than Queen

GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts

Posted: 10 Sep 12, 11:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I definitely have some curiosity about what a Queen + MM set would sound, look and, perhaps most importantly, feel like. But those whose arguments include the assertion that Martel is not an 'impersonator' are on shaky ground. He clearly deliberately took on parts of Freddie's tone and delivery at times and is on record claiming mimicry as one of his talents. It's certainly not a criticism - as a talented musician and highly skilled vocalist he made perfect artistic choices for the gig he had as a tribute artist. So it's worth I think a bit more contemplation about the optics and feel of it all through the eyes of Brian and Roger, right or wrong. The whole thing is clouded by the association in time with the Adam Lambert collaboration which generally ranged from ill advised to ridiculous. One considers Martel and sees in him so much more fundamentally important to the experience of live music than Lambert and his vocal histrionics, tubs of eyeliner and muppetskin jackets. It's easy to forget that there really is a dilemma of sorts in playing with your own tribute act.

Posted: 10 Sep 12, 12:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YAFF wrote:
I've heard some nitwits say they are better than Queen

I only saw one way over-enthusiastic person claim that. In context, I think they meant that QE PERFORMS Queen music better than the CURRENT incarnation of Queen+. If they actually did mean QE is a better band that Queen overall, then yeah, that's crayzeee.

GratefulFan wrote:
But those whose arguments include the assertion that Martel is not an 'impersonator' are on shaky ground. He clearly deliberately took on parts of Freddie's tone and delivery at times and is on record claiming mimicry as one of his talents. It's certainly not a criticism - as a talented musician and highly skilled vocalist he made perfect artistic choices for the gig he had as a tribute artist.

He doesn't have to mimic Freddie though. There are some songs (Love of My Life, Somebody to Love) that he more or less does with his own voice and style, and his performance doesn't suffer for it -- the songs still sound "right." If he was doing a Queen+ gig, I imagine they'd want him to do the songs his own way rather than doing the exact mimicry that he does in QE.

GratefulFan wrote:
The whole thing is clouded by the association in time with the Adam Lambert collaboration which generally ranged from ill advised to ridiculous. One considers Martel and sees in him so much more fundamentally important to the experience of live music than Lambert and his vocal histrionics, tubs of eyeliner and muppetskin jackets.

To be fair, the vast majority who saw Q+AL live loved the shows, and if they didn't love AL going in, they loved him afterwards. Most of the people still complaining about Q+AL are those who have only seen the YouTube vids.

Montreux user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 82 posts

Posted: 10 Sep 12, 15:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No Martel, no Lambert - bring back Mr. Paul Rodgers!!!!!

waunakonor user not visiting Queenzone.com
Let's fucking do it, darling!
waunakonor
Royalty: 1259 posts

Posted: 10 Sep 12, 15:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I couldn't help but notice that there are a few things Marc didn't do that would make him seem even more like a Freddie impersonator. For example, I couldn't help but notice that, at least in the show I was at, he didn't say "I still love you" at the end of LoML in the way that Freddie did. That struck me a bit, as it really seemed to show that he was respecting Freddie by not using one of his little trademarks. Also, nobody did a Freddie-esque vocal impromptu or call and response with the audience, again Freddie trademarks that they pretty much just left alone.

These are the days of our lives

They've flown in the swiftness of time.
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 10 Sep 12, 16:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YAFF wrote:
I find it disgusting and utterly daft at the number of numbskulls who are crying out for Brian & Roger to perform with Marc Martel. Why on earth would they do that? Martel is close but he isn't Freddie. Freddie Mercury wasn't just a voice. ZeBONKER's says "the kid deserves a s shot." Why? Huh? Let's see.... has he written a song anywhere near as good as Freddie Mercury? Has he exhibited the uncanny ability to captivate a crowd of 300,000 people? What has he done to "earn a shot"?

my own opinions on the many queen+ collaborations are well-known around here, so i won't regurgitate my distaste.

hwoever, i will spew my distaste for your utterly banal and vacuous statement. let's examine your rather stupid comments:

1. he's close but not freddie? well that's a darn sight better than any other collaboration (so far) none of which have ever been "close"
2. what the fuck had freddie written when he started out with queen in 1971? nada that's what
3. freddie was pretty audience shy in the early days, and from what i recall, the old "marquee, wardour street" never held 300,000...maybe about 700 people...everyone has to start somewhere, otherwise in your benevolent world Freddie would never have been given that chance either...idiot

now perhaps you can start a thread in future that actually makes an accurate point?

go deo na hÉireann