Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Freddie Mercury - The Great Pretender

forum rss feed
Author

Jamie1977 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 17 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Sep 12, 19:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just received and watched the documentary.....and it was absolutely fabulous!!! A lot of new footage, and this time for real! They did put their money where there mouth is. It's even on tv in Holland on Saturday night!
Cheers

Dane user not visiting Queenzone.com
No strings attached!
Dane
Bohemian: 691 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 12, 07:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Indeed great stuff! I will be watching tonight!
On Nederland 3 at 21.00!

cheers!

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Queen Visual Library (www.qvl.nl)
zippo112 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 239 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 12, 10:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

any extras?can you tell me what?

dave76 user not visiting Queenzone.com
dave76
Bohemian: 573 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 12, 11:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

zippo112 wrote:
any extras?can you tell me what?

http://www.queenzone.com/forums/1326642/review-blu-ray-the-great-pretender.aspx

MrFunster user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 442 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 12, 16:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It was a great documentary.
5 seconds of the demo of rod stewart en fred mercury
15 seconds of the fm + mj, little disappointing.
Lots of fragmets which I have never seen before.
It's worth to view and to buy it.

madmetaltom user not visiting Queenzone.com
madmetaltom
Bohemian: 239 posts

Posted: 23 Sep 12, 16:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

How long is it?

ParisNair user not visiting Queenzone.com
See right through you!!
ParisNair
Bohemian: 873 posts

Posted: 25 Sep 12, 15:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Any comments/opinions from the original singer of The Great Pretender?

e-man user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 697 posts

Posted: 25 Sep 12, 16:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Freddie-Mercury-The-Great-Pretender-Blu-ray/50063/#Review

this review offers some interesting thoughts.
a refreshing read imo.

the reviewer is probably not a huge fan, so it's neither "this is the best release ever and freddie rocks", nor is it "could have been good, but where are the extras?"

Fireplace user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 889 posts

Posted: 26 Sep 12, 16:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ParisNair wrote:
Any comments/opinions from the original singer of The Great Pretender?

Nope, most of them (they were a group) are on a cloud comparing notes on the tune with Freddie.

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts

Posted: 26 Sep 12, 17:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

e-man wrote:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Freddie-Mercury-The-Great-Pretender-Blu-ray/50063/#Review
this review offers some interesting thoughts.
a refreshing read imo.
the reviewer is probably not a huge fan, so it's neither "this is the best release ever and freddie rocks", nor is it "could have been good, but where are the extras?"

That is a really good piece of musical journalism right there, although maybe he overstates the friction between Fred and the rest of the band. Can't wait to see this now.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
The Real Wizard user is on Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18628 posts

Posted: 27 Sep 12, 20:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Holly2003 wrote:
That is a really good piece of musical journalism right there

Indeed. It's definitely one of the best pieces I've ever seen written on Freddie. There is no fandom bias - just an excellent linguist calling it like it is based on what seems to be the most revealing documentary on Freddie to date.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
The Nosuch Disco user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 70 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 12, 08:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was going to talk about how I felt a little let down by the Documentary.

But I think e-man has referred to a great article that has been echoed by Holly2003 and The Real Wizard.

The reason I felt let down was because I had seen a lot of it before (of course there can only be a finite supply of unseen Freddie stuff) but some of the interviews with Brian and Roger were lifted directly from the extras on the Queen Blu Ray...

Also I've seen/heard bits and bobs over the years from youtube/other dvd's and the solo box and remembered the clips when they popped up on the documentary.

The bits that i'd not heard were very short, specifically Rod Stewart/Michael Jackson bits.

But going back to the review, it is indeed a revealing documentary, but perhaps only if you're not a super fan. It is put together very well and is a far more enjoyable watch than say, The Untold Story or any of the DoRo Documentaries.

The Real Wizard user is on Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18628 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 12, 10:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

But surely we can't expect a documentary containing entirely new footage, can we?

99% of the people watching it won't know the difference between which footage has been seen before and what has been recently unearthed.

The only footage that would have the man on the street gasping for air is say, Mercury recording the vocal in the rock section of Bohemian Rhapsody. Interesting as new bits may be for us, it's just archival footage to pretty much everyone else.

Perspective is key.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
The Nosuch Disco user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 70 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 12, 16:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

too true, Wizard!

Love your site by the way :)

Dave.

rocknrolllover user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hangman
rocknrolllover
Deity: 2576 posts

Posted: 01 Oct 12, 14:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

did anybody record airing of documentary on TV?

I've got the power to love to live

I can't say it ain't right
pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10070 posts

Posted: 02 Oct 12, 13:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't remember when I was the last time bored watching a Queen-related documentary. The only interesting bits were from the "Made In Heaven" interview. The rest ? I got the feeling that I'm reading wikipedia, and not WATCHING a documentary.

The strangest thing is that despite its name it's not a documentary about "The Great Pretender" nor about Freddie Mercury. It's a "making of Mr. Bad Guy and Barcelona" type of documentary. After watching the documentary I have the feeling that Freddie was in some band, I think it was called Queen or something, then he suddenly realized he's gay and started to fuck guys, made a crap album which he knew was crap, fell in love with Montserrat Caballe and wanted to do an album with her, he hated Queen members and especially Brian, made the Barcelona album and then he probably died or something.

I don't know why, but I start to have "negative thoughts" about Paul "everybody is my best friend" Gambaccini and Jim "I can do anything with Freddie's music" Beach.

The biggest part of this documentary is about the Barcelona album, why wasn't this documentary released as a bonus disc on the "deluxe" release of Barcelona ? If this documentary was done for the fans, why did they left out all interesting, or used just a few seconds of it ? (Like the audience footage from Queen from 1979, the David Wigg interview, the 1976 interviews, the Rod Stewart/MJ demos ...) If this documentary was made for the "average Joe", why didn't they at least mention WHO Freddie was or at least the fact that he died because of AIDS ?

After watching the "Days of our lives" documentary I downloaded it as DVD (from BBC broadcast) and watched it again. Then I downloaded a HD capture of the BBC broadcast and watched it again. And later again and again and again. And then I bought the BluRay and watched it again, again and again and ....

After downloading the leaked copy of The Great Pretender I watched it once and deleted it. I didn't like it but I thought it's because I got it as crappy low-res flv files and that I'm definitely going to like it on BD. Now I bought the BD. It took me 3 days (!) to watch it till the end and I really don't believe I will watch it again.

I'm sorry to be so negative, but I am seriously disappointed with this release

bootLuca user not visiting Queenzone.com
bootLuca
Royalty: 1184 posts

Posted: 02 Oct 12, 16:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote:

I'm sorry to be so negative, but I am seriously disappointed with this release

I totally agree with you Peter, this is a movie that the only goal is to promote the new Barcelona album.

Another thing, where is the promised full Royal Ballet?

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 02 Oct 12, 16:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Interesting that someone mentions that it's like a barcelona docu. Interesting, because, didn't Rhys say it started out as just that, but, was expanded into a Freddie docu?

Anyway, little hesitant on buying it now. Hmm...

Adam.

tomchristie22 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Because the wind is high
tomchristie22
Deity: 2149 posts

Posted: 02 Oct 12, 20:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It definitely is focused primarily on his two solo albums. I suppose it's good in the sense that earlier things have usually skimmed over that. His solo works don't really interest me, what I've heard of Mr. Bad Guy I didn't like, and the opera thing seems a little inaccessible, even though it's probably not. It'd be interesting to see what a solo product from the 70's would've sounded like, before his musical interests went downhill.

Ozz user not visiting Queenzone.com
Chileno de Corazon
Ozz
Bohemian: 401 posts

Posted: 02 Oct 12, 21:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh the fans...

> The rest ? I got the feeling that I'm reading wikipedia, and not WATCHING a documentary.

You are asking a hight grade history documentary, when as hardly as it is for us to understand, fans, that Queen is just a pop/rock band
and don't have a beatlesque recognition yet in the popular culture.

However theres many new bits in this documentary that hardly could be called "Boring".

> It's a "making of Mr. Bad Guy and Barcelona" type of documentary.

what's the problem with that ? really..?

Do you really wanted another "untold story" with long boring segments about Freddie's childhood, the same myths retold again
and a revisionist approach to the mary austin affair, to make freddie more straight than gay ?

Sometimes it seems that fans want to see only what they believe was Queen and Freddie.

>"After watching the documentary I have the feeling that Freddie was in some band, I think it was called Queen or something, then he suddenly realized he's gay and started to fuck guys, made a crap album which he knew was crap, fell in love with Montserrat Caballe and wanted to do an album with her, he hated Queen members and especially Brian, made the Barcelona album and then he probably died or something."

Well, most of that is true.

> Jim "I can do anything with Freddie's music" Beach.

Whether you like it or not, Freddie gave him the control.

>The biggest part of this documentary is about the Barcelona album, why wasn't this documentary released as a bonus disc on the "deluxe" release of Barcelona ?

That whole part was indeed released in the "deluxe" release of Barcelona

>If this documentary was done for the fans, why did they left out all interesting, or used just a few seconds of it ? (Like the audience footage from Queen from 1979, the David Wigg interview, the 1976 interviews, the Rod Stewart/MJ demos ...)

From a director's perspective, why release unedited complete footage in the first place ? you are telling a history, so you edit the footage to make a whole new creation.

I Have the impression that The Rod Stewart demo is a poor snippet anyway so they did a quick mix to put it in the documentary. I doubt there's a whole thing waiting to see the light. The MJ demos are being worked with the MJ estate, so why this release should spoil the proper release of the songs?

I think some fans would be happy only if they manage to travel in time to re-live all those years and they will never be happy with any Queen release.

There's been a decade of crappy Queen related releases, and finally we are getting something fresh, without the whole brian approach of we will rock you musical/badger/stereo/orbs/all song are in my credit thing, and we complain...

People!

I reign with my left hand I rule with my right