Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Roger Taylor - The Lot

forum rss feed
Author

splicksplack user not visiting Queenzone.com
splicksplack
Bohemian: 394 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Aug 13, 09:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think you should all calm down. Roger does not have the selling potential that Queen has.

Mr and Mrs 'I quite like Queen' will not be splashing out on this.

Talk of a FM type box set is ludicrous.

No Freddie, No John.....No Queen
last-horizon 42265 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 240 posts

Posted: 13 Aug 13, 10:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

splicksplack wrote:

I think you should all calm down. Roger does not have the selling potential that Queen has.

I couldn't agree more. However, after the FM box was released, back in 2000, GB confirmed that he would next dig into Brian and Roger's solo archives with the purpose of releasing something similar.

Brian is no longer a solo artist since 2001 (his last solo recording was "Teasin'", and it was a cover). After that, he has been only collaborating, performing with Kerry and the Q+ projects. And as a matter of fact, apart from a brief version of "Driven By You", he has never performed any of his solo songs again after 1998 (not counting "Last Horizon" or "TMLWKY" with Pavarotti + in early 2005 but not sang by him). So he clearly has no interest in his solo career anymore. I think that it has a lot to do with Cozy's passing. I am sure that if that unfortunate event didn't happen, the story would have been different. The AW tour was no way as good as the BTTL one, and that has solely to do with Cozy's absence.

However Roger, every now and then kisses his solo projects (aRTy 2006 -that IMO is a solo project and not a collaboration-, Unblinking Eye, The Cross reunion plus lots of live appearences as a solo artist billing). He's obviously into it, so even if a FM alike box set is pretty unlikely because of the potential low demand, a nice 3CD+1DVD+nice booklet set spanning his solo career, including single and unreleased versions as well as some stuff from the archives, is not a very crazy idea, specially considering that with Fun On Earth, Q+AL and FM/MJ tracks (and TC 2013 if you want to, as well), he will be getting a lot of attention from fans.

rocknrolllover user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hangman
rocknrolllover
Deity: 2140 posts

Posted: 13 Aug 13, 10:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

brians wig wrote:

GT wrote:

I don't think anyone will be disappointed with this set.

Does that imply a proper physical release then Gary?
I hope so, because I won't be spending any money on it if it's crappy digital downloads only.

For "The Lot", I'd expect all albums remastered, an additional disc of demos and unreleased STUDIO stuff for each album and WITH each album (and I mean a disc FULL not five bloody tracks like the Queen Deluxe albums, half of which were live), and a couple of discs containing ALL previously released extended mixes and remixes and single edits.
That's one hell of a boxset and if it costs me £150 then so be it.
Nice if it had a DVD of the promos in there as well and at least one pro shot live concert from The Cross & RT.

Still think I won't be disappointed?

I don't understand your frustration concerning studio reissue 2011 with additional CD . No one promised that they will release archive songs or at least a part of this. This is a common situation when the band signed a deal with another label, also was with Hollywood Records 1991

I've got the power to love to live

I can't say it ain't right
cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 2345 posts

Posted: 13 Aug 13, 10:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

last-horizon 42265 wrote:

splicksplack wrote:

So he clearly has no interest in his solo career anymore. I think that it has a lot to do with Cozy's passing. I am sure that if that unfortunate event didn't happen, the story would have been different. .

You're spot on there - if Cozy hadn't died, I am pretty doubtful that Brian would have moved back to working with Roger (certainly other than one offs), and to the world of Queen in general. He always spoke of how musically and socially he and Cozy 'clicked', and whilst they both would have done other things, I'm sure they would have continue to collaborate extensively in the studio and on the road.

MackMantilla user not visiting Queenzone.com
MackMantilla
Bohemian: 318 posts

Posted: 13 Aug 13, 12:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it would be a good opportunity to release The Cross Live in Genove '90 video.
But I think this is too much asking for..

At least, I hope we can get a dvd with RT/TC promo videos ;)

rocknrolllover user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hangman
rocknrolllover
Deity: 2140 posts

Posted: 13 Aug 13, 12:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MackMantilla wrote:

I think it would be a good opportunity to release The Cross Live in Genove '90 video.
But I think this is too much asking for..

At least, I hope we can get a dvd with RT/TC promo videos ;)

Or one clip on heaven for everyone in DVD space :-D

I've got the power to love to live

I can't say it ain't right
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 7428 posts

Posted: 13 Aug 13, 16:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

please...for the love of Christ ^^^ try and at least get into the same post code as "English"...give us a f**king chance to understand you

go deo na hÉireann
DLCVinnuendo user not visiting Queenzone.com
DLCVinnuendo
Bohemian: 350 posts

Posted: 13 Aug 13, 21:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

very excellent news!!!!

dudeofqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 177 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 13, 01:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I would imagine it'll be lavish in its own way - sure, Roger isn't / wasn't as high profile or as broad appeal as Freddie was, but he had a decent following within the band's fan base. I reckon the set will be PACKED out with material and little will be left out - Roger is (rightly) proud of his solo material and I reckon he'll give it the best chance possible in terms of presentation.

Not too sure he's all that bothered about the sales figures, given that the FM + Queen + Wacko Jacko tracks, whatever they are, will sell in their millions - he'll be OK paying the heating bill this winter.........

cmsdrums

Posted: 14 Aug 13, 06:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

dudeofqueen wrote:

I would imagine it'll be lavish in its own way - sure, Roger isn't / wasn't as high profile or as broad appeal as Freddie was, but he had a decent following within the band's fan base. .........

Indeed - not as high profile but certainly the most prolific and interesting (for me) solo career; including The Cross, he's about to release his 8th solo album, and there's a lot of artists considered solo acts who haven't released nearly as many (and that's whilst churning out the Queen body of work too!)

And he's not done badly for 'just a drummer' when compared to high profile band vocalists; Jagger has only 3 solo albums, Daltrey 8, Plant 9 or 10.......

cmsdrums

Posted: 14 Aug 13, 06:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

cmsdrums wrote:

dudeofqueen wrote:

I would imagine it'll be lavish in its own way - sure, Roger isn't / wasn't as high profile or as broad appeal as Freddie was, but he had a decent following within the band's fan base. .........

Indeed - not as high profile but certainly the most prolific and interesting (for me) solo career; including The Cross, he's about to release his 8th solo album, and there's a lot of artists considered solo acts who haven't released nearly as many (and that's whilst churning out the Queen body of work too!)

And he's not done badly for 'just a drummer' when compared to high profile band vocalists; Jagger has only 4 solo albums, Daltrey 8, Plant 9 or 10.......

Pingfah user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 428 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 13, 06:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roger's solo career puts the rest of the band to shame. Freddie hardly did anything, and only half of that was good, Brian's stuff just sounds like Queen songs looking for a good frontman, and John, well, never mind about John.

Roger has put out consistently high quality solo albums and has developed a sound of his own.

Posted: 14 Aug 13, 08:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

cmsdrums, re:

>And he's not done badly for 'just a drummer' when compared to high profile band vocalists; Jagger has only 4 solo albums, Daltrey 8, Plant 9 or 10.......

Absolutely - apart from McVicar all of Daltrey's solo material lacks the genius of Townshend. Roger T has a huge amount of balls to out out the material he does - some of it is WAY too political for my liking, but its ALWAYS backed by great music and great production. Roger and Josh work really well together.

Don't get me started on The Cross - W A Y better than most of what Queen put out from 1986 onwards....... Can't wait for the retrospective too!

Posted: 14 Aug 13, 09:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

dudeofqueen wrote:

cmsdrums, re:

>And he's not done badly for 'just a drummer' when compared to high profile band vocalists; Jagger has only 4 solo albums, Daltrey 8, Plant 9 or 10.......

Absolutely - apart from McVicar all of Daltrey's solo material lacks the genius of Townshend. Roger T has a huge amount of balls to out out the material he does - some of it is WAY too political for my liking, but its ALWAYS backed by great music and great production. Roger and Josh work really well together.

Don't get me started on The Cross - W A Y better than most of what Queen put out from 1986 onwards....... Can't wait for the retrospective too!

I agree. IMO "Blue Rock" is one of the finest Queen related albums ever, specially considering that its recording process spanned a months-only period only. "Back To The Light" is up to Queen standards too, but it took many years to complete.

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 7428 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 13, 10:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pingfah wrote:
Roger's solo career puts the rest of the band to shame. Freddie hardly did anything, and only half of that was good, Brian's stuff just sounds like Queen songs looking for a good frontman, and John, well, never mind about John.

i think it's a little unfair to use freddie in that argument...he had the distinct disadvantage of being dead or in the process of dying when TWO of Roger's Cross albums were being produced/released.
up until the point of 1990 Freddie's solo output compared more favourably:
RT - 3 (incl the cross)
FM - 2
BM - 1 (mini lp)
JD - 0

go deo na hÉireann
Pingfah user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 428 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 13, 10:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Strange Frontier & Fun in Space are far superior albums to Mr Bad Guy though, in my opinion. Mr Bad Guy had good songs, but horrible arrangements. Barcelona was very good however. Probably Freddie would have produced a lot more really good solo stuff had he had the time, no argument there.

I forgot about Starfleet actually, I love that record. Back to the Light was weak IMO, Another World even weaker, Furia was as bad as the film, which was BAD.

Posted: 14 Aug 13, 10:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pingfah wrote:
Mr Bad Guy had good songs, but horrible arrangements

Well, within a few months, after TTMBTLTT is released, you'll can re-make your own MBG album with different arrangements, using your favourite versions. You'll still have to get along with the album version of "Man Made Paradise", though. ;-)

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 16729 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 13, 11:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wait, people are actually arguing that the Cross made a better album than Innuendo? Really? Are we losing our minds? The entire Cross catalog combined cannot match up to the title track or The Show Must Go On.

There are a half dozen great Cross tracks, but the musicians and execution were average at best. The music is mostly derivative and the production is very dated.

The best thing Roger has done outside of Queen is Electric Fire. I'd say it's the best of all the Queen members' solo albums. I'll definitely agree that Roger has done the best job in carving out his own musical identity outside of Queen. But ... The Cross being better than latter day Queen? Ludicrous.

Big fans of bands over-listen to the well-known music and delusions begin to form, such as the obscure b-sides, outtakes and side projects being better than the released work that sold millions of copies and is still loved to this day.

So let's get back to planet earth. Innuendo will be heard 50 years from now, and The Cross will fade away (if they already haven't) without any fanfare because it was a fun side project for a member of Queen. Had a member of Queen not been in the band it's unlikely they would've progressed beyond the pub scene.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca

Posted: 14 Aug 13, 11:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Real Wizard, re:

>Big fans of bands over-listen to the well-known music and delusions begin to form,

Yeah, you're right......you're deluded in thinking that Innuendo is a timeless classic..... ;-)

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 16729 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 13, 12:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Haha, did I imply that ?

Indeed, it may not be a timeless classic like SHA or ANATO, but it's still a far better record than anything The Cross churned out.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca