forum rss feed
Author

cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3234 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Aug 13, 06:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

dudeofqueen wrote:

I would imagine it'll be lavish in its own way - sure, Roger isn't / wasn't as high profile or as broad appeal as Freddie was, but he had a decent following within the band's fan base. .........

Indeed - not as high profile but certainly the most prolific and interesting (for me) solo career; including The Cross, he's about to release his 8th solo album, and there's a lot of artists considered solo acts who haven't released nearly as many (and that's whilst churning out the Queen body of work too!)

And he's not done badly for 'just a drummer' when compared to high profile band vocalists; Jagger has only 3 solo albums, Daltrey 8, Plant 9 or 10.......

cmsdrums

Posted: 14 Aug 13, 06:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

cmsdrums wrote:

dudeofqueen wrote:

I would imagine it'll be lavish in its own way - sure, Roger isn't / wasn't as high profile or as broad appeal as Freddie was, but he had a decent following within the band's fan base. .........

Indeed - not as high profile but certainly the most prolific and interesting (for me) solo career; including The Cross, he's about to release his 8th solo album, and there's a lot of artists considered solo acts who haven't released nearly as many (and that's whilst churning out the Queen body of work too!)

And he's not done badly for 'just a drummer' when compared to high profile band vocalists; Jagger has only 4 solo albums, Daltrey 8, Plant 9 or 10.......

Pingfah user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 515 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 13, 06:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roger's solo career puts the rest of the band to shame. Freddie hardly did anything, and only half of that was good, Brian's stuff just sounds like Queen songs looking for a good frontman, and John, well, never mind about John.

Roger has put out consistently high quality solo albums and has developed a sound of his own.

dudeofqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 396 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 13, 08:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

cmsdrums, re:

>And he's not done badly for 'just a drummer' when compared to high profile band vocalists; Jagger has only 4 solo albums, Daltrey 8, Plant 9 or 10.......

Absolutely - apart from McVicar all of Daltrey's solo material lacks the genius of Townshend. Roger T has a huge amount of balls to out out the material he does - some of it is WAY too political for my liking, but its ALWAYS backed by great music and great production. Roger and Josh work really well together.

Don't get me started on The Cross - W A Y better than most of what Queen put out from 1986 onwards....... Can't wait for the retrospective too!

last-horizon 42265 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 259 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 13, 09:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

dudeofqueen wrote:

cmsdrums, re:

>And he's not done badly for 'just a drummer' when compared to high profile band vocalists; Jagger has only 4 solo albums, Daltrey 8, Plant 9 or 10.......

Absolutely - apart from McVicar all of Daltrey's solo material lacks the genius of Townshend. Roger T has a huge amount of balls to out out the material he does - some of it is WAY too political for my liking, but its ALWAYS backed by great music and great production. Roger and Josh work really well together.

Don't get me started on The Cross - W A Y better than most of what Queen put out from 1986 onwards....... Can't wait for the retrospective too!

I agree. IMO "Blue Rock" is one of the finest Queen related albums ever, specially considering that its recording process spanned a months-only period only. "Back To The Light" is up to Queen standards too, but it took many years to complete.

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 13, 10:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pingfah wrote:
Roger's solo career puts the rest of the band to shame. Freddie hardly did anything, and only half of that was good, Brian's stuff just sounds like Queen songs looking for a good frontman, and John, well, never mind about John.

i think it's a little unfair to use freddie in that argument...he had the distinct disadvantage of being dead or in the process of dying when TWO of Roger's Cross albums were being produced/released.
up until the point of 1990 Freddie's solo output compared more favourably:
RT - 3 (incl the cross)
FM - 2
BM - 1 (mini lp)
JD - 0

go deo na h√Čireann
Pingfah user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 515 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 13, 10:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Strange Frontier & Fun in Space are far superior albums to Mr Bad Guy though, in my opinion. Mr Bad Guy had good songs, but horrible arrangements. Barcelona was very good however. Probably Freddie would have produced a lot more really good solo stuff had he had the time, no argument there.

I forgot about Starfleet actually, I love that record. Back to the Light was weak IMO, Another World even weaker, Furia was as bad as the film, which was BAD.

Posted: 14 Aug 13, 10:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pingfah wrote:
Mr Bad Guy had good songs, but horrible arrangements

Well, within a few months, after TTMBTLTT is released, you'll can re-make your own MBG album with different arrangements, using your favourite versions. You'll still have to get along with the album version of "Man Made Paradise", though. ;-)

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 19426 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 13, 11:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wait, people are actually arguing that the Cross made a better album than Innuendo? Really? Are we losing our minds? The entire Cross catalog combined cannot match up to the title track or The Show Must Go On.

There are a half dozen great Cross tracks, but the musicians and execution were average at best. The music is mostly derivative and the production is very dated.

The best thing Roger has done outside of Queen is Electric Fire. I'd say it's the best of all the Queen members' solo albums. I'll definitely agree that Roger has done the best job in carving out his own musical identity outside of Queen. But ... The Cross being better than latter day Queen? Ludicrous.

Big fans of bands over-listen to the well-known music and delusions begin to form, such as the obscure b-sides, outtakes and side projects being better than the released work that sold millions of copies and is still loved to this day.

So let's get back to planet earth. Innuendo will be heard 50 years from now, and The Cross will fade away (if they already haven't) without any fanfare because it was a fun side project for a member of Queen. Had a member of Queen not been in the band it's unlikely they would've progressed beyond the pub scene.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
dudeofqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 396 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 13, 11:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Real Wizard, re:

>Big fans of bands over-listen to the well-known music and delusions begin to form,

Yeah, you're right......you're deluded in thinking that Innuendo is a timeless classic..... ;-)

The Real Wizard

Posted: 14 Aug 13, 12:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Haha, did I imply that ?

Indeed, it may not be a timeless classic like SHA or ANATO, but it's still a far better record than anything The Cross churned out.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6567 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 13, 16:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

TBF, things like Macarena, Gagnam Style and Harlem Shake will probably still be recognised twenty years from now by dozens of thousands, while The Prophet's Song will not. Does it make Macarena, Gagnam Style and Harlem Shake better songs?

John hated Hot Space. Fred's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Wales is not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
The Real Wizard

Posted: 14 Aug 13, 19:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ha ! Of course not. Not everything that floats around in pop culture is great art, but fortunately most of the Queen songs in public consciousness really are their best work.

soxtalon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 427 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 13, 21:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Classic Rock Interview Soundbites!

CR: You also have a new solo album out soon
RT: It's been written over a five year period so it's very eclectic. Some gentle stuff, some rockier stuff, and some fairly political stuff.

CR: What's the title of your new album
RT: My first solo effort (in 1981) was called Fun In Space. I was reading a lot of science fiction at the time. So I've called this one Fun On Earth. I've come down to earth a bit, but there's still a bit of fun in there - some smiley tracks.

CR: Is it influenced by any modern music?
RT: The best band I've seen in a long time is Sigur Ros. I love that atmospheric, semi-ambient thing they have. They're magnificent melodically. And their show is magnificent too. I Saw them at the Academy in Brixtno.

CR: Also released in September is a collection of all the music you'e made outside of Queen - including your solo albums and your 80s side project band The Cross
RT: Yes. It's called The Lot. I said 'Let's have the lot in there', so I thought let's call it that.

CR: Is it all good stuff, or is there some rubbish in there too?
RT: Like anything there are some things you regret. But my last solo album, Electric Fire (1988 (sic)), still sounds great.

CR: What's the best song you wrote for Queen?
RT: Hard to say. I like Radio Ga Ga. It was a nice fusion of synthesizers and...what can I call it...epic pop.

CR: And the worst?
RT: There's a few. I hate Delilah (on Innuendo). That's just not me.

CR: What's next for Roger Taylor? A solo tour for your new album?
RT: I'm thinking about getting together some mates in a really hot band and getting out on the road. And if I did, I'd have my son Rufus Tiger Taylor playing drums. He plays with Queen when we tour. He plays percussion most of the time, and when I do anything out front he plays drums. He's Brian's favorite drummer I think!

----

I think Rog must have gotten off the track of actually songs written by him...or is he actually suggesting he wrote Delilah? :P

BUT...that's great news. So it will be The Cross stuff included in the box set! AND he may tour...Hopefully that comes together!

Agr12345 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 99 posts

Posted: 15 Aug 13, 02:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Also released in September is a collection of all the music you'e made outside of Queen - including your solo albums and your 80s side project band The Cross
RT: Yes. It's called The Lot. I said 'Let's have the lot in there', so I thought let's call it that. "

What? Will be released in September? Really?? THat would be great!

cmsdrums

Posted: 15 Aug 13, 03:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Excellent - I was expecting 'The Lot' to follow a whole after the new album, but if that's out at eh samne time that's great! I wonder if 'The lot' will be available in a limited edition INCLUDING the new album, and also a standard edition with just the past stuff. Great to have confirmation of The Cross stuff in there too.

Finally, when talking about putting a band of 'some mates' together, I wonder if that will be 'famous' mates and it be an RT led 'supergroup' of sorts for fun, or if by mates he means Spike, Jason Falloon etc.. I'm not fussed which to be honest but I guess the latter.

Posted: 15 Aug 13, 06:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dare I say..Jeff Beck? He's been working a few times with him recently. It would be a cool pairing!

AlexRocks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1384 posts

Posted: 24 Aug 13, 16:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Isn't just about always a win situation once you have Jeff Beck?! Ow!

Posted: 24 Aug 13, 18:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If my memory serves me, excluding Queen members and Queen family members like Spike or Neil Murray, Jeff Beck will become the only musician that will have collaborated on Brian's and Roger's solo albums.

Btw, it would be interesting to confirm if "Up" is really "When We Were Young" or if the latter will remain unreleased or included as a Lot-only track.

Posted: 25 Aug 13, 02:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rick Parfitt was on Roger's It's An Illusion and then on Brian's "FBI" cover.