Forums > Sharing The Music - Request > Alan Freeman show versions of BBC Session 6

forum rss feed
Author

OwenSmith user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 522 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Jan 14, 17:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The BBC Session 6 tracks were remixed by Tony Wilson for the Alan Freeman show as part of the BBC's quadraphonic broadcasting experiments in the second half of 1977. These mixes were in quadraphonic sound, encoded into sterero using Matrix H (a bit like Dolby Surround or SQ quad). All existing releases of Session 6 have been checked and found to be the standard stereo mix so do not decode.

I have a contact that can decode Matrix H back to quadraphonic, but to do this we need the Tony Wilson / Alan Freeman mix. Does anyone have either an off air recording from the Alan Freeman show or a copy of these masters?

This is one of only two items of Queen in legacy 1970s quad formats so this stuff would be good to find.

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10712 posts

Posted: 07 Jan 14, 02:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That's interesting, I didn't know this.

Posted: 08 Jan 14, 11:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not many people do know this, which might explain why getting hold of a recording of the correct Matrix H encoded broadcast is proving so hard. My contact in the quadraphonic world has recently been put in touch with Tony Wilson the mixing engineer so we should be able to check the facts. But he hasn't said he has a copy, which is a shame.

brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2587 posts

Posted: 18 Jan 14, 16:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nice bit of detective work, Owen :)

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 20849 posts

Posted: 19 Jan 14, 01:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brilliant work, again !

There are so many copies of this floating around. I've come across no less than a dozen, and it's possible that one of them may be from the quad version. Is there any audible difference while just listening in stereo?

I recall the Golders Green, once decoded, brought out the lead vocal quite a bit more, as it's buried in its original state, as we all know now..

Artists must pass on, but sometimes a mix of passion, good fortune, diligence, expertise, and meticulous labor can capture and restore some of the beauty they left behind.

http://www.queenlive.ca

Posted: 22 Jan 14, 11:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I claim no credit for the research on this, all the information about the Alan Freeman Matrix H broadcasts came from a chap known as Oxford Dickie (OD for short) in quadraphonic audio circles on the net. He's the one who has developed computer processes to decode Matrix H (and many other matrix quadraphonic formats).

Unfortunately we have no information on any audible differences when listening in stereo. OD had to attempt a decode of the existing shares of this to find that they weren't Matrix H. That's the complete 4 track share from Jon Stuart a few years ago (mini disc copy of the masters), then the two tracks from the 2011 remasters CD disc 2, and finally We Will Rock You from the KBFH compilation CD someone shared recently (I bought the CD online to see if it mentioned Matrix H or quad but it didn't).

I guess the obvious way to tell would be if Alan Freeman is heard as the DJ on the recording.

The Real Wizard

Posted: 23 Jan 14, 01:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

OwenSmith wrote:

I guess the obvious way to tell would be if Alan Freeman is heard as the DJ on the recording.

Hmm, has anyone ever heard a copy of this ? I haven't.

Artists must pass on, but sometimes a mix of passion, good fortune, diligence, expertise, and meticulous labor can capture and restore some of the beauty they left behind.

Barry Durex user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2083 posts

Posted: 18 Aug 14, 04:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A CD you may want to seek out is Royal Rarities (CD 1) It mentions the ''Alan Freeman sessions'' in the track listings.

Posted: 18 Aug 14, 04:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You may also want to check the King Biscuit version of WWRY as I'm told it is the definitive version from session 6. This doesn't mean it's from the Alan Freeman broadcast of course, but you never know!

The Real Wizard

Posted: 18 Aug 14, 13:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

All these versions have the fake audience dubbed in.

Hard to know which broadcast is which, especially when they end up on bootlegs like this.

But thanks for the input, condom dude !

Posted: 19 Aug 14, 04:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Real Wizard wrote:

Are you saying the Alan Freeman broadcast could not have had the audience dubbing? Also, the King Biscuit version of WWRY I mentioned does not have any audience dubbed. Looking through some old posts it looks like owenSmith has this version, so has probably had his contact check it for quad already. Here's a link to that version if anyone wants it.http://www.mediafire.com/download/q09awgj1km1x5cq/We+Will+Rock+You+%28King+Biscuit+Flower+Hour+-+Best+of+The+Best%29.flac

The Real Wizard

Posted: 19 Aug 14, 14:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Barry Durex wrote:

The Real Wizard wrote:

Are you saying the Alan Freeman broadcast could not have had the audience dubbing?

No idea. But at least we're taking a stab at trying to figure out which version is which.

Thanks for posting that file. So now we know the KBFH version doesn't have the panned audience. When was that one broadcast?

And the next question is, who came up with the bright idea to add the noise - bootleggers or people in the radio world?

bootLuca user not visiting Queenzone.com
bootLuca
Royalty: 1360 posts

Posted: 19 Aug 14, 15:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Real Wizard wrote:

And the next question is, who came up with the bright idea to add the noise - bootleggers or people in the radio world?

I think radio world because there is a promotional CD of the 1988 (so before the cd bootleg market) called "King Biscuit Flower Hour Kansas\Queen" released for the DIR Radio Network that includes the BBC sessions with the audience overdubbed.

Attachment: 20148191306438464.jpg 214 KB
This has been downloaded 22 time(s).

Posted: 19 Aug 14, 17:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That`s right, strangely only WWRY from KBFH has surfaced without the audience dubbed. The other tracks have the dubbed audience on them. There is also some dodgy explanation on how the narrative during WWRY came about, but I suspect this was also dubbed. A radio station would be the prime suspect for all the dubbing in my opinion. It`s possible it started on BBC broadcast and perhaps that was the Alan Freeman one.

The Real Wizard

Posted: 19 Aug 14, 17:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

bootLuca wrote:

The Real Wizard wrote:

I think radio world because there is a promotional CD of the 1988 (so before the cd bootleg market) called "King Biscuit Flower Hour Kansas\Queen" released for the DIR Radio Network that includes the BBC sessions with the audience overdubbed.

Fascinating - thanks for that !

But this is from 1988. Already in 1978 there were LP bootlegs with the audience added in..

http://queenlive.ca/queen/77-03-13.htm

The Real Wizard

Posted: 19 Aug 14, 17:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Barry Durex wrote:

There is also some dodgy explanation on how the narrative during WWRY came about, but I suspect this was also dubbed.

The BBC regularly re-used tape back in the day, and Queen were recording on the same tape this narration of Hermann Hesse's novel Siddhartha. They simply chose to use a bit of it for their own amusement between the two versions of WWRY, and added the pitch-bending effect after the fact.

Posted: 19 Aug 14, 18:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

^ That was the explanation, yes. In other words the original recording on the tape was ''dubbed" back in, so why not add an audience why we are about it?

The Real Wizard

Posted: 20 Aug 14, 13:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ahh, good ol' speculation.

Is this our dead end, or can further investigation can be done?

Posted: 20 Aug 14, 13:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Real Wizard wrote:
Ahh, good ol' speculation.
Is this our dead end, or can further investigation can be done?

I still say it might be worth checking Royal Rarities for quad. Sounds like a decent transfer to me.

The Real Wizard

Posted: 20 Aug 14, 14:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have rips of literally almost every Queen bootleg ever produced, but not that one.

I'll do some digging.