Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Queen and synthesizers

forum rss feed
Author

The King Of Rhye user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2272 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Jan 15, 18:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

We all know Queen famously had the 'no synthesizers' disclaimer throughout the seventies.....and I remember Brian said a few times something to the effect of that they started using them in 80s because the ones that were out there at the start of Queen's career were relatively primitive and they could now do things on them they couldnt before.

I always kinda wondered about that, though.........

I'm sure it's true to some extent, but then what about bands like ELP and King Crimson that were doing crazy stuff with synthesizers even before then? Maybe Queen was just behind the technological curve on that one? lol

I'll take you to the Seven Seas of Rhye
luthorn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 622 posts

Posted: 19 Jan 15, 21:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's like George Lucas and special effects. Certain things should be kept away from certain people. Everything in moderation.

winterspelt user not visiting Queenzone.com
I'll be Bach
winterspelt
Bohemian: 691 posts

Posted: 19 Jan 15, 23:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Some synths like the mellotron were really tricky and limited, you can hear how the tapes went out of tune (because of the heat produced by the lightning, I think) in the old Zeppelin bootlegs.
According to Rick Wakeman, a non working moog would take hours to repair, even for their inventors. Also, I think it was just a way to be creative, using all those layers of sounds and studio tricks.

Perhaps it was just a matter of ego: To show that they could do things nobody could achieve before...

Queen: Roger Taylor, Mike Grose, Freddie Mercury, Brian May.
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 7048 posts

Posted: 20 Jan 15, 05:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The King Of Rhye wrote:

We all know Queen famously had the 'no synthesizers' disclaimer throughout the seventies....

To be fair, they only had the disclaimer in 1973, 1974, 1975 and 1976. That's 40% of the seventies.

The King Of Rhye wrote:

I remember Brian said a few times something to the effect of that they started using them in 80s

To be fair, they started in the seventies. Even ignoring the stylophone at the end of the second album (reportedly recorded in August 1973), there's the OB-X on 'Coming Soon' and 'Sail Away Sweet Sister', both of which were recorded in 1979.

John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Rog didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Wales is not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 vox.
Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2681 posts

Posted: 20 Jan 15, 08:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think unless you were an out and out keyboard player the early synths were very difficult to use and get a 'human' feel, they were fine if you wanted to spend month programming like Pete Townsend, but trying to play them in the way Brian likes to play was nearly impossible at first, pitch bending came in later and then things got more easy to produce notes the 'sing' To be honest I always really classed the electronic piano in You're My Best Friend as a type of synth... even though I guess it's not officially one.

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

Posted: 20 Jan 15, 11:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Interesting input here........guess I dont really know that much about synthesizers after all.........lol

mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 4381 posts

Posted: 20 Jan 15, 12:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"a non working moog would take hours to repair"

Tis true :-(

Sebastian

Posted: 20 Jan 15, 13:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Togg wrote:

To be honest I always really classed the electronic piano in You're My Best Friend as a type of synth... even though I guess it's not officially one.

Not just officially, but in terms of its mechanics. It's like categorising Brian's guitar as a balalaika.

John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Rog didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Wales is not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 vox.
cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3537 posts

Posted: 20 Jan 15, 15:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't believe they didn't use synthesisers early on as any kind of artistic snobbery, but simply didn't deem them necessary; they put the disclaimer purely because they didn't want people to hear some of the sounds Brian's was able to produce on his guitar and assume they were synths.

Posted: 20 Jan 15, 16:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

cmsdrums wrote:

I don't believe they didn't use synthesisers early on as any kind of artistic snobbery, but simply didn't deem them necessary; they put the disclaimer purely because they didn't want people to hear some of the sounds Brian's was able to produce on his guitar and assume they were synths.

That's it...I think Brian said that they put the disclaimer there because people were saying KYA had 'nice synthesizer work'...

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 20652 posts

Posted: 20 Jan 15, 18:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

winterspelt wrote:

Perhaps it was just a matter of ego: To show that they could do things nobody could achieve before...

Innovation = ego... ?

Really ?

Artists must pass on, but sometimes a mix of passion, good fortune, diligence, expertise, and meticulous labor can capture and restore some of the beauty they left behind.

http://www.queenlive.ca
winterspelt user not visiting Queenzone.com
I'll be Bach
winterspelt
Bohemian: 691 posts

Posted: 20 Jan 15, 22:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Real Wizard wrote:

winterspelt wrote:

Innovation = ego... ?

Really ?

Innovation =/= ego but it is clear that the band's innovation was partially driven by their egos. Nothing wrong with that, cause their ego was the reason why they wanted to be the best.

There are different kinds of ego, of course! Its clear that their ego was not the kind of ego who drives Malmsteen's behavior!

Queen: Roger Taylor, Mike Grose, Freddie Mercury, Brian May.
*goodco* user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1330 posts

Posted: 20 Jan 15, 22:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A few more recent comments on the 'no synth' bit contained in this recent thread

http://www.queenzone.com/forums/1410352/was-flash-bit-of-a-tease-album-.aspx?page=2

Had a friend way back who was a pretty good guitar player. He became hooked on the band after listening to ADATR because he could not fathom how a guitar could sound that way. So the 'no synths' statement garnered at least one appreciative fan to the band.

"Discretionary posting is the better part of valor." Falstaff
BETA215 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr. BETA will take care of you
BETA215
Deity: 2689 posts

Posted: 20 Jan 15, 22:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

winterspelt wrote:
The Real Wizard wrote:

winterspelt wrote:

Innovation = ego... ?

Really ?

Innovation =/= ego but it is clear that the band's innovation was partially driven by their egos. Nothing wrong with that, cause their ego was the reason why they wanted to be the best.

There are different kinds of ego, of course! Its clear that their ego was not the kind of ego who drives Malmsteen's behavior!

Too many egos for today... ;)

Don't forget my collection of demos and outtakes: http://goo.gl/uQARhn

PM me if you want any [leaked] multitrack.

Ya se ven los tigres en la lluvia.
The Real Wizard

Posted: 21 Jan 15, 00:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

winterspelt wrote:

The Real Wizard wrote:

winterspelt wrote:

Innovation = ego... ?

Really ?

Ha, yes ! Fair play.

Artists must pass on, but sometimes a mix of passion, good fortune, diligence, expertise, and meticulous labor can capture and restore some of the beauty they left behind.

Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2681 posts

Posted: 21 Jan 15, 02:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

Togg wrote:

To be honest I always really classed the electronic piano in You're My Best Friend as a type of synth... even though I guess it's not officially one.

Not just officially, but in terms of its mechanics. It's like categorising Brian's guitar as a balalaika.

Probably true... ha
Didn't I read somewhere Freddie refused to play the electronic piano Deacon used because he hated the sound? or was that Brian? Either way I think they all felt the sounds generated at the time by electronic keyboards were pretty poor

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
Sebastian

Posted: 21 Jan 15, 04:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That point's been taken out of proportion to say the least. What Fred said was that he wouldn't like to play that when he had access to 'a superb grand piano' (he probably meant the white Bechstein he played on 'Bo Rhap').

Still, Fred had no problem in playing a Wurly on stage when he was given one (http://queenlive.ca/queen/live%20pics/74-03-22_Canvey%20Island_13.jpg) and, of course, recorded loads and loads of synthesisers from 1979 onwards.

Brian had no problem with playing e-pianos as he played one on 'Teo Torriatte,' as well as harmonium... and other types of keyboards elsewhere (e.g., organ on 'Now I'm Here' and 'Marriage of Dale and Ming,' synths and digital pianos here and there).

Oscar J user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1455 posts

Posted: 21 Jan 15, 07:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There's an organ on Now I'm Here? Is that the high pitched sound in the "explosive" parts of the song?

ludwigs user not visiting Queenzone.com
ludwigs
Bohemian: 466 posts

Posted: 21 Jan 15, 09:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oscar J wrote:

There's an organ on Now I'm Here? Is that the high pitched sound in the "explosive" parts of the song?

No, that's sped-up slide guitars.

The organ enters just at the, "whatever comes of you and me" after the guitar solos and continues holding the D chord under the guitar intro 'theme' reprise.

The Real Wizard

Posted: 21 Jan 15, 11:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ludwigs wrote:

Oscar J wrote:

No, that's sped-up slide guitars.

The organ enters just at the, "whatever comes of you and me" after the guitar solos and continues holding the D chord under the guitar intro 'theme' reprise.

Pertinent audio is attached :)

Attachment: 2015121962157506.mp3 315 KB
This has been downloaded 21 time(s).