Forums > Sharing The Music - Announce > A Night of Summer Magic - Knebworth Park 1986

forum rss feed
Author

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 11063 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Aug 15, 14:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A Night Of Summer Magic

Queen & support
Knebworth Park, Stevenage, UK
August 9, 1986

This is the FINAL concert of Queen with Freddie Mercury on vocals and John Deacon on bass guitar.
It's also the last concet of their biggest tour ever - the Magic Tour. After they sold out 2 nights at Wembley and they couldn't get a third one, their promoter Harvey Goldsmith booked a couple of extra nights for the UK part of the tour, the last one being the park (about 30 miles North-West of London).

The concert was opened by a new wave artist Belouis Some at approximately 2PM. Everybody who was there
claims he sucked, so it's hard to imagine why he got the job - there are some rumours that Freddie was "interested" in him. After the first three songs the audience members started to throw bottles and tried to hit him on stage. Of course, none of these bottles ever got as far as the stage, but one of the backing singers held what looked like a washing bowl over her head for protection. The bottles were landing on the crowd in front, who were picking them up and throwing them back from where they came from. Then he
announced that the next song will be called "Target Practice", and the whole stage was then swamped for
about 2 minutes non-stop. When people were running out of bottles, huge chunks of turf were then sent inbound.

Does anybody know if an audio recording exists? Or a video would be probably even better :) Unfortunately I
wasn't able to get one but I do have a very good reason to believe that the audio recording exists.

Approximately 1 hour later Status Quo started their set. They had 3 concerts that day and went directly to
Germany (?) after finishing Knebworth. During their set, one of their roadies climbed to the top of the giant Starvision screen with a big cardboard guitar. The crowd went of course wild, unfortunately the band thought the audience reaction means they love THEM. After they found out they fired him immediately. During Quo's rocking set Queen arrived to the park in a helicopter, which can be seen in the DoRo footage.

An hour after Quo finished Big Country took the stage and delivered a surprisingly good show. A personal note
- I never heard of them before, but after hearing an audience recording of their gig I fell in love with them.

And then Queen finally arrived on stage and delivered a perfect performance, not knowing that between the acts a 21 year old Qeeun fan Thomas McGuigan was repeatedly stabbed in the chest during a fight in front of the stage. When St. John Ambulance crew members finally got to him, he was unfortunately dead. Goldsmith knew about this incident, but he has decided not to tell the band, they were informed later that evening and Freddie was recorded saying "If people have to die because they wanna see us, I'll never perform live again."

The sources :

BELOUIS SOME - I've been told that an audio recording exists, but I wasn't able to obtain a copy. Does anybody have one ?

STATUS QUO - there are 3 known recordings available. The main source used for this merge has the best sound quality, overall I'd rate it "EX" or "EX-". The recording seems to be recorded from the same spot and with the same gear as the best Queen source, so I assume it's from the same taper (Crazy S) but it's just a guess. This recording has been released on the "Big Day Hero" bootleg, which was added to later re-releases of the "Thank You All " Queen bootleg (see below). Unfortunately something very, very bad happened during the production of this CD. Last 4 songs suffer from some very bad digital noise and it gets worse with every minute. It gets again better during the last song, Caroline. I have done every filter I could to make the last song sound at least tolerable, but there's absolutely nothing which could be done to the last part of Roadhouse Blues and the first part of Caroline, I had to replace these parts with an alternate source. If somebody wants the original files let me know and I'll upload them, maybe somebody else will be able to clean them up more, I have simply given up. From now on I will reference this source as SQA1 (Status Quo audience recording 1).

There is an alternate source. It sounds much worse that the "SQA1" source, but still it sounds better than the last
songs on SQA1. This source was released on LP, but unfortunately I couldn't find any lossless transfer, so I had to rip it from youtube. So in other words this source is lossy and in pretty bad quality. That's the reason why I used this source only to fill the gaps in the first source. I'll call this source SQA2.

The third source is a recently discovered TV report, which features some backstage footage before the concert and approximately a half of the first song (Whatever You Want) and the final seconds of their gig. I'll call this source SQV.

BIG COUNTRY

The Big Country gig was recorded and released also on the same bootleg as the Status Quo gig ("Big Day Hero"). Again
it has basically the same sound quality as the best Queen tape and seems to be taped from the same position so I again assume it was recorded by Crazy S. I'll call this source BCA.

I have also a second source, but because the first source is complete and in much better quality, I didn't use it for the merge.

QUEEN

Multiple people have recorded Queen. The best, most complete and most known is the recording done by Mr. Crazy S. The sound quality is excellent, the sound is very clear. There were a few short gaps, so the people behind the bootleg label Wardour have filled these gaps with the audio from the bootleg video. Their recording was released on the bootleg "Thank You All". I'll refer to this recording as QA1.

I used a few seconds from a different, inferior source, I used it only for the closing speech by Harvey Goldsmith. This source will be referred as QA2.

The whole concert was recorded professionally, part of it was released on the 1986 album Live Magic. Unfortunately it runs slightly faster than the QA1 source, so I had to slow it down slightly so that both recordings run at the same speed. The 2001 Japanese release was used for this merge and will be referred as QS1.

A part of Freddie's improvisation and Under Pressure were remixed in 1999 and released on single. I'll call this source QS2.

Parts of this concert (at least the second half) were filmed by DoRo, who were documenting the European tour for a documentary. Various songs have appeared in various documentaries, but for my merge I used the song Is This The World We Created, which was released on their documentary Magic Years, vol. 2. This source will be called QV.

The merge

4 CDS featuring the performances of Status Quo, Big Country and Queen. Every concert is as complete as possible and every song is in the best quality I was able to get, even when it means that during some songs the sound will "jump" from one source to another. Take it as a warning, if you don't like when sources change during a song,
this is not for you.

CD 1 - Status Quo (01:09:13)

SQA1 : AUD master (possibly "Crazy S") > ? > "Big Day Hero" bootleg > EAC > WAV > Cool Edit Pro > clip restoration, click reduction on last 3 songs > WAV
SQA2 : AUD master > LP bootleg > ? > Youtube video > mp4 > wav (lossy) > Cool Edit Pro (hiss reduction) > wav
SQV : PRO master > Dutch TV report > VHS (x) > ? > Youtube video > mp4 > wav (lossy) > Cool Edit Pro (hiss reduction) > wav

01. Concert Intro (including backstage banter) (SQV / SQA1) (03:41)
02. Whatever You Want (SQV / SQA1 / SQV / SQA1) (04:01)
03. Paper Plane (SQA1) (03:20)
04. Roll Over Lay Down (SQA1) (06:21)
05. Little Lady (SQA1) (03:43)
06. Mystery Song (SQA1) (02:29)
07. Railroads (SQA1) (01:37)
08. Most of the Time (SQA1) (01:06)
09. Wild Side of Life (SQA1) (01:59)
10. Slow Train (SQA1) (01:04)
11. Hold You Back (SQA1

pittrek

11. Hold You Back (SQA1) (04:29)
12. Dirty Water (SQA1 / SQA2 - filling the gap between songs) (05:36)
13. Rockin' All Over The World (SQA2 / SQA1 / SQA2 - gaps between songs)(03:35)
14. Big Fat Mama (SQA2 / SQA1) (04:38)
15. Don't Waste My Time (SQA1) (04:00)
16. Roadhouse Blues (incl. Price of Love) (SQA1 / SQA2) (10:08)
17. Waiting for Encore (SQA2 / SQA1 / SQA2) (01:44)
18. Caroline (SQA2 / SQA1 / SQV) (04:12)
19. Concert Ending (SQV / SQA1) (01:30)

CD 2 - Big Country (01:09:59)

BCA : AUD master (possibly "Crazy S"?) > ? > "Big Day Hero" bootleg > EAC > WAV > different track splitting in some cases > FLAC
all tracks are from the same source

01. Stage Introduction (00:24)
02. Wonderland (04:29)
03. Fields of Fire (05:08)
04. Where The Rose is Sown (05:08)
05. Remembrance Day (04:59)
06. I Walk The Hill (03:41)
07. Just a Shadow (05:22)
08. Look Away (04:28)
09. Chance (07:06)
10. In A Big Country (05:26)
11. Harvest Home (04:34)
12. Stuart Adamson - Everybody Say "Cheese" (01:25)
13. Lost Patrol (06:24)
14. Honky Tonk Woman (04:07)
15. Fields of Fire (07:18)

CD 3 - Queen (part 1) (00:59:59)

QA1 : AUD master (Crazy S) > ? > "Thank You All " (Wardour) bootleg > EAC > WAV
QA2 : AUD > ? > WAV
QS1 : SBD master > ? > "Live Magic" 2001 release > EAC > WAV > Cool Edit Pro (speed correction etc.) > WAV
QS2 : SBD master > ? > "Under Pressure" 1999 single > EAC > WAV
QV : PRO master > ? > "Magic Years" laserdisc > DVD > WAV

01. Bryan Adams - Run To You (cut) (QA1) (00:24)
02. One Vision (QA1 / QS1 / QA1) (05:52)
03. Tie Your Mother Down (QS1 / QA1 / QS1) (03:43)
04. In The Lap Of The Gods ...revisited (QS1 / QA1) [02:27]
05. Seven Seas of Rhye (QS1 / QA1) (01:18)
06. Liar (intro) (QA1) (00:21)
07. Tear It Up (QA1) (01:53)
08. A Kind Of Magic (QA1) (06:22)
09. Vocal solo (QS1 / QA1 / QS2) (02:04)
10. Under Pressure (QS2 / QA1) (03:46)
11. Another One Bites The Dust (QA1 / QS1) (05:48)
12. Who Wants To Live Forever (QA1) (03:57)
13. I Want To Break Free (QA1 / QS1 / QA1) (03:33)
14. Impromptu (QA1) (03:14)
15. Guitar Solo (QA1) (09:14)
16. Now I'm Here (QA1) (06:03)

CD 4 - Queen (part 2) (00:54:45)

01. Love of My Life (QA1) (05:17)
02. Is This The World We Created ? (QA1 / QV / QA1) (03:03)
03. (You're So Square) Baby I Don't Care (QA1) (01:31)
04. Hello Mary Lou (Goodbye Heart) (QA1) (01:29)
05. Tutti Frutti (QA1) (03:43)
06. Bohemian Rhapsody (QA1 / QS1 / QA 1 / QS1 / QA1) (05:30)
07. Hammer To Fall (QA1) (05:32)
08. Crazy Little Thing Called Love (QA1) (05:17)
09. Waiting for Encore (QA1) (02:47)
10. Radio Ga Ga (QA1 / QS1 / QA1) (06:14)
11. Waiting for Encore (QA1) (03:28)
12. We Will Rock You (QA1 / QS1 / QA1) (02:43)
13. Friends Will Be Friends (QA1 / QS1 / QA1) (02:06)
14. We Are The Champions (QA1 / QS1 / QA1) (03:45)
15. God Save The Queen (QA1 / QS1 / QA1) (01:19)
16. End of Concert (QA1 / QA2) (01:01)

pittrek

A couple of notes :

- officially released sources have been used for this merge. But still, is here anybody who doesn't own a legal copy of Magic Years or Live Magic? If yes (which I doubt) please buy it

- some songs use multiple sources. In some cases the change of the sources is (almost) seamless, however in some cases (e.g. One Vision, Radio Ga Ga or We Will Rock You) you WILL notice the quality change, mainly because it's a completely different mix. Be warned.

- bootleggers - I know some bootleggers visit this forum. If you want to "release" this, at least try to make it better ! All the source materials for this are publicly available

- if somebody wants to fix some of the problems in this merge, mainly in the last songs of Status Quo, and / or do have an alternate / better / more complete source for any of the artists please share it, thanks a lot

- if you decide to share it elsewhere, please label it properly and, distribute it only in lossless form and complete.

Thank you very much

pittrek

And because I reserved more posts than I needed, the links are in a separate post :)

CD 1 : https://mega.nz/#!XwcmQawZ!Ek0f96BJ75HwLmzziG7xScKCXf76XkpYVg68U4XzT-4

CD 2 : https://mega.nz/#!zw0XFLAA!_tjTZXeDGJ5IQVoX-5EWZS5a17Q58dN3YJGOoLq7LCw

CD 3 : https://mega.nz/#!GpF0kQBI!kUkoiMbaDF9MCqEhE-KPUkHC-QKzSxbiGvPxkQb4RvM

CD 4 : https://mega.nz/#!3ssh2BpT!IWryBxC70RrtFs_42k3YyJvIl6EDYfA1SBMNmjVg74Q

readme : https://mega.nz/#!W0sGES7I!LzyeAFuugz_0EPHySaw6Mh1PU_oaKyB1N5qUDHKbVIY

fr1986 user not visiting Queenzone.com
fr1986
Bohemian: 218 posts

Posted: 08 Aug 15, 14:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

and the links??

pittrek

Posted: 08 Aug 15, 14:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

fr1986 wrote:

and the links??

You were faster than me :)

Nitroboy user not visiting Queenzone.com
Nitroboy
Royalty: 1609 posts

Posted: 08 Aug 15, 14:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sounds awesome, thanks for the work Pittrek :)

Marknow user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hello
Marknow
Deity: 2898 posts

Posted: 08 Aug 15, 14:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A mighty share, thanks a bunch.

Arse.

Chief Mouse user not visiting Queenzone.com
Video Man
Chief Mouse
Deity: 2208 posts

Posted: 08 Aug 15, 14:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Cheers!

hobbit in Rhye user not visiting Queenzone.com
hobbit in Rhye
Bohemian: 354 posts

Posted: 08 Aug 15, 17:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you pittrek for the complete form of this important concert and for carefully merging these complicated sources :)

Nitroboy user not visiting Queenzone.com
Nitroboy
Royalty: 1609 posts

Posted: 08 Aug 15, 17:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hopefully Queen will seize the opportunity to release something fantastic next year around this time... But we can only hope.

Mr.QueenFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.QueenFan
Royalty: 1413 posts

Posted: 08 Aug 15, 17:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is a monumental share Pittrek! Thank you very much!
What a magical day! I´m very interested in hearing Big Country because i´ve been reading great reviews about this band on Knebworth.

vivaqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
vivaqueen
Bohemian: 910 posts

Posted: 08 Aug 15, 19:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

what a joB!!!! MERCI BEAUCOUP

IT'S FABULOUS

Harry_queenrecordings user not visiting Queenzone.com
Harry_queenrecordings
Bohemian: 654 posts

Posted: 09 Aug 15, 02:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Awesome Pittrek!

It's A Beautiful Day...

http://www.queenrecordings.com
MarkRW user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 331 posts

Posted: 09 Aug 15, 03:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Very nice! - thank you.

una999 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 598 posts

Posted: 09 Aug 15, 03:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rami user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1023 posts

Posted: 09 Aug 15, 03:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you very much for your effort!

on my way up user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2465 posts

Posted: 09 Aug 15, 03:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks a lot.

It's so obvious what they have to do in terms of releases: now that Hammy75 set, then in 2016 a new issue of the extensive Freddie boxset (to celebrate his 70th birthday) with new finds since 2000 included and also the 1988 Time live performance and The Great Pretender documentary.
And also in 2016: an extensive Knebworth release with all audio and all available footage...(be it on or off stage footage).

on my way up
alberbal12 user not visiting Queenzone.com
alberbal12
Bohemian: 374 posts

Posted: 09 Aug 15, 06:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Can somebody do a torrent for this amazing stuff?

That time will come, one day you'll see, when we can all be friends... ("The Miracle", Queen, 1989)
Raffy user not visiting Queenzone.com
Raffy
Bohemian: 461 posts

Posted: 09 Aug 15, 08:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you so much Pittrek! ;)