Forums > Sharing The Music - Announce > Live in Houston 1977 - 2015 edition

forum rss feed
Author

DJGreg user not visiting Queenzone.com
DJGreg
Bohemian: 130 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Dec 15, 11:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is my revision of the famous Houston concert.

The first idea was to re-edit the original mono sound for myself so I could listen my favourite songs without blood in my ears, but later all the process transformed into mania of restoring the whole video+audio concert thoroughly.
I'm not claiming that my work is brilliant, but I like the result. There're many people who didn't like the manipulation of the dark contrast with the video, but I thought it was necessary because of fickle brightness level throughout the whole video.

Anyway - here it is, both audio (FLAC+CUE) and video (MKV). Your comments are desirable c:

DJGreg

Posted: 25 Dec 15, 11:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Source: VHS shared here a couple of years ago (the whole show)

Lineage (Video): VOB >Avisynth (degrain filter)>Lossless AVI File>Adobe Premiere Pro (Contrast editing + sharpening) > MKV

Lineage (Audio): Mono PCM (from the VOB) >Adobe Audition (declicking where it was needed, mixing to a stereo pan, mastering)> FLAC

Audio Quality: Your subjective opinion

Video Quality: Just the same as above

DepeX user not visiting Queenzone.com
DepeX
Royalty: 1049 posts

Posted: 25 Dec 15, 14:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Audio seems very good to me, the video still hasn't finished. Anyway, thanks for your efforts!

Just a question: why have you used another program for sharpening and adjusting the contrast? I would have done it in Avisynth too. Anyway, I haven't seen the video yet.

"I won't be a rock star. I will be a legend"
Bob Harley user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bob Harley
Bohemian: 187 posts

Posted: 25 Dec 15, 14:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Making video dark is nice when you're sure you won't burry too much informations.
There's also a nice trick, you can correct the contrast level, then make it more bright. I noticed changing white balance of whatever it is too. We would need every single camera shot to fix it correctly.
I'll download it in 1h20m.
I just downloaded the audio. The echo helped A LOT!
Ok, now I downloaded the video. It's very good, but the audio is the best part. It sounds more like an official release.

I like to collect video recordings and spend hours on trying to restore them (recordings, not hours)

https://www.youtube.com/user/Bob8Harley
BETA215 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr. BETA will take care of you
BETA215
Deity: 2695 posts

Posted: 25 Dec 15, 15:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bob Harley wrote: Making video dark is nice when you're sure you won't burry too much informations.
There's also a nice trick, you can correct the contrast level, then make it more bright. I noticed changing white balance of whatever it is too. We would need every single camera shot to fix it correctly.

Do you mean correcting the contrast (as the guide contrast) and adding brightness?

Don't forget my collection of demos and outtakes: http://goo.gl/uQARhn

PM me if you want any [leaked] multitrack.

Ya se ven los tigres en la lluvia.
Bob Harley user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bob Harley
Bohemian: 187 posts

Posted: 25 Dec 15, 17:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

BETA215 wrote:

Bob Harley wrote: Making video dark is nice when you're sure you won't burry too much informations.

Do you mean correcting the contrast (as the guide contrast) and adding brightness?

I don't know, how to call it. Hmm, it's not like typical adding brightness. It's like correcting contrast and then making it less deep. It's like this:
http://imgur.com/a/KJzuf
There are still the same informations, but it's slighty better to watch.
And it's important to DON'T just correct contrast level, but correct every color - red, green and blue. In these videos it's mostly important to reduce green color. You can notice on Snow's version of Buenos Aires 1981 that the contrast is fixed, but he didn't reduce green color so the background is black, but everything other has a little too much green tint.

I like to collect video recordings and spend hours on trying to restore them (recordings, not hours)

https://www.youtube.com/user/Bob8Harley
Oscar J user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1455 posts

Posted: 25 Dec 15, 17:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, this is great! Have been thinking about doing something like this to the audio myself.

MERQRY user not visiting Queenzone.com
MERQRY
Bohemian: 746 posts

Posted: 26 Dec 15, 00:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh, it sounds so so so nice! A great gift!!
Thank you!

"I will destroy any man who dares abuse my trust" Freddie Mercury
pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10670 posts

Posted: 26 Dec 15, 04:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Is there a chance to upload some before / after video which would show us exactly what have you done to the video and the audio ? Thanks a lot

brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2578 posts

Posted: 26 Dec 15, 07:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Looks great, sounds great, but is there any chance you still have the session on your computer so you could produce an interlaced mpeg2 file please for those of us who would like to keep the original video look please?
For me it's a shame that you've improved it no end but made it look like it was shot on film.

Posted: 26 Dec 15, 07:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

DJGreg

Posted: 26 Dec 15, 07:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

brians wig wrote:
brians wig wrote:

Looks great, sounds great, but is there any chance you still have the session on your computer so you could produce an interlaced mpeg2 file please for those of us who would like to keep the original video look?
For me it's a shame that you've improved it no end but made it look like it was shot on film.

Yeap, I'll try to redo it in January. There's a problem with one of my avisynth filters, that kills the original FPS motion look, I'll try to compensate it with the new one, just need to dig into the settings.

Posted: 26 Dec 15, 08:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That's brill, thanks.
If you're able to create an mpeg4 but put that interlaced look back into it, that'd be fine and a lesser file size for you than an mpeg2.
Whichever works best for you! :)

Mr.QueenFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.QueenFan
Royalty: 1413 posts

Posted: 11 Feb 16, 16:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you for sharing your work. It looks and sounds amazing!

Harry_queenrecordings user not visiting Queenzone.com
Harry_queenrecordings
Bohemian: 645 posts

Posted: 14 Feb 16, 10:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What a great sound! Loving it! Huge thanks for this.

It's A Beautiful Day...

http://www.queenrecordings.com
Sue Dounim user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sue Dounim
Bohemian: 398 posts

Posted: 14 Feb 16, 22:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The audio: A++

I honestly was working on something that sounded very similar to what you've done but yours is a but tighter sounding.I would have liked it if the audience noise had been raised a bit more, other than that it's the best I've ever heard.

The video: A

I'm enjoying the true blacks and its nice to have the video without those skips every 5 minutes, but the graininess is honestly distracting and makes fine details look blockey.

ARISTIDE1 FUCK OFF :^)
99jaystang user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 169 posts

Posted: 14 Feb 16, 23:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Great sound but I added a boost on the 30hz, and 60 hz level just a tick more on my file, just wasn't getting any kick or thump in that range in my earphones. But great overall sound good job!

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 20784 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 16, 11:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sue Dounim wrote:

I honestly was working on something that sounded very similar to what you've done but yours is a but tighter sounding.I would have liked it if the audience noise had been raised a bit more, other than that it's the best I've ever heard.

Well, that part isn't really possible since we just have a mono soundtrack that we're working with, and there weren't any mics on the audience since this wasn't intended to be a live album. It's just the drum/guitar/vocal mics picking up the audience.

To DJGreg - mighty well done !! This post should've come out with much larger fanfare, as it's a huge improvement. To me it sounds like you've added some compression and reverb, widened the stereo, and possibly EQ'd it a bit.

I'm going to post this on Dime, if that's alright. People will love it there. Can you tell us exactly what you did? The audiophiles there are definitely keen on this stuff.

I also notice you've done some hiss reduction, and there are some noticeable digital artifacts in the quieter moments like My Melancholy Blues and Freddie's vocal solo after White Man. Curious to hear what it'd sound like without this done to it. I didn't think the tape hiss was overly bad.

Artists must pass on, but sometimes a mix of passion, good fortune, diligence, expertise, and meticulous labor can capture and restore some of the beauty they left behind.

http://www.queenlive.ca
Sue Dounim user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sue Dounim
Bohemian: 398 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 16, 16:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Real Wizard wrote:
Sue Dounim wrote:

Well, that part isn't really possible since we just have a mono soundtrack that we're working with, and there weren't any mics on the audience since this wasn't intended to be a live album. It's just the drum/guitar/vocal mics picking up the audience.

Well the version I had made, I had used a compression setting that raised background noise, primarily the audience noise. It also raised the hiss but it wasn't so bad. I honestly would be fine with fake crowd noise if it was mixed very low.

ARISTIDE1 FUCK OFF :^)
ColMan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 34 posts

Posted: 16 Feb 16, 09:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for this!
Very nice sound quailty. I like that I almost don't hear the audience. Is the echo added? Or how it was recorded?