Forums > Sharing The Music - Announce > 1977-11-18 - Detroit - Uncirculated master transfer on DIME

forum rss feed
Author

gbmaster user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 25 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Mar 17, 01:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A previously-uncirculated master tranfser now available on Dimeadozen. This is pure gold, guys... pure gold... Here's the original torrent description:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Queen
Cobo Arena (aka Hall)
Detroit, Michigan
November 19, 1977

Master cassette Tape>Magix Cleaning Lab>CD>Traders Little Helper
Unknown recording equipment.

Disc 1
We Will Rock You (intro-slow)
We Will Rock You (fast)
Brighton Rock
Somebody to Love
It's Late
Death on Two Legs (Dedicated to…)
Killer Queen
Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy/I'm in Love with My Car
Get Down, Make Love
The Millionaire Waltz
You're My Best Friend
Spread Your Wings
Liar
Love of My Life
'39

Disc 2
My Melancholy Blues
White Man
The Prophet's Song
Keep Yourself Alive
Bohemian Rhapsody
Tie Your Mother Down
We Will Rock You (slow)
We Are the Champions

Taper-Gary M. (R.I.P.)
Obtained and transferred by Heavy Metal Al
Uploaded by damageinc777

My friend Al asked me to post this in the hopes it will trigger others to dig up some rare gems.

Okay the story on this goes something like....Al collects mostly shows done in Michigan. You could say he specializes in it. And he used to be pretty persistent in tracking down Michigan tapers. That's how we met and are now pretty good friends. Through another friend he got ahold of Gary who recorded this back in the day. He asked Gary if he could digitize some of his audio masters and Gary said go for it.

Gary had boxes and boxes of stuff all over. Thousands of recordings and no organization to any of it. This show according to other setlists from around the same time is missing the last couple songs. They may have been on another cassette in another of Garys boxes. Or he may have not recorded it period. We'll most likely never know. But I think Stone Cold Crazy was cut from the recording (not recorded) possibly because of tape space or battery issues.

The other thing is Gary only marked the master Queen Cobo '77. So we are hoping some Queen nut will be able to figure out if this was November 18th or 19th of 1977.

UPDATE #2- The show was the first night thanks to tsskiller's catch. Freddie gets confused about the tour dates before Death On Two Legs. "The second show's tomorrow, sorry folks".

Since Al obtained this Gary has passed away. Supposedly Gary's wife had no love for his collection and most likely it was thrown out. Although I hope I am wrong.

Al and I are not Queen experts so if someone would like to properly track/edit/remaster feel free. We did the best we could. This is my first audio torrent so hopefully it all goes well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to the Sir description on his website, the quality goes between B+ and A- (I just downloaded this and I haven't had the time to give it a listen).

For the interested ones, here's the link to the post

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=585781

brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2578 posts

Posted: 03 Mar 17, 04:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fantastic find!.

alberbal12 user not visiting Queenzone.com
alberbal12
Bohemian: 373 posts

Posted: 03 Mar 17, 06:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Would be amazing if anybody can put here the full concert.

That time will come, one day you'll see, when we can all be friends... ("The Miracle", Queen, 1989)
Chinwonder2 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Chinwonder2
Royalty: 1535 posts

Posted: 03 Mar 17, 11:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Since the torrent seems to be dead, here's a WeTransfer link: https://we.tl/nMNmJhOcSR 

Enjoy!! :)  

-Chin 

Check out my channel for various goodies! :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/Chinwonder2
alberbal12 user not visiting Queenzone.com
alberbal12
Bohemian: 373 posts

Posted: 03 Mar 17, 11:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks, Chin.

That time will come, one day you'll see, when we can all be friends... ("The Miracle", Queen, 1989)
Yuri Queen user not visiting Queenzone.com
Yuri Queen
Bohemian: 184 posts

Posted: 03 Mar 17, 12:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

some time ago I had already heard of this show...
It turned a fake,various songs from the 70 tour

I hope this is genuine :)

Chinwonder2

Posted: 03 Mar 17, 12:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

dysan user not visiting Queenzone.com
dysan
Deity: 4851 posts

Posted: 03 Mar 17, 12:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This sounds great so far. Thanks for the link :)

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 20784 posts

Posted: 03 Mar 17, 13:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yuri Queen wrote:

some time ago I had already heard of this show...
It turned a fake,various songs from the 70 tour

I hope this is genuine :)

Did you even read the description before you posted that?

Artists must pass on, but sometimes a mix of passion, good fortune, diligence, expertise, and meticulous labor can capture and restore some of the beauty they left behind.

http://www.queenlive.ca
The Real Wizard

Posted: 03 Mar 17, 13:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Chinwonder2 wrote:

Ive uploaded the show to my channel here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXEssKjV-us

Enjoy!! :)

-Chin

My two cents, and this likely won't have me being Mr popular today - but you should probably never upload a newly circulated tape to youtube.

Even though the taper is now deceased, the people who may have gone through great trouble to obtain and transfer the tapes may be upset that the quality has been decreased greatly on youtube so soon after it came out.

In this case there is no "don't mp3 this" clause, but there should at least be a grace period while the original seed is still hot. It took nearly 40 years for it to get out, and it's not unlikely that someone would be pissed off that it took 40 minutes for it to lose half its quality.

I'm not here to tell anyone what to do, but I just have an extreme respect for 70s tapers, and would like to think they'd want their tapes to have their quality maintained as best as possible.

Youtube is basically the new mp3. If the show didn't come out on youtube, then it probably means the people involved wanted something better for it.

Artists must pass on, but sometimes a mix of passion, good fortune, diligence, expertise, and meticulous labor can capture and restore some of the beauty they left behind.

Chinwonder2

Posted: 03 Mar 17, 13:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ok, sorry Bob, I'll private it for another week or more, would that be ok?

-Chin

The Real Wizard

Posted: 03 Mar 17, 13:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Chinwonder2 wrote:

Ok, sorry Bob, I'll private it for another week or more, would that be ok?

-Chin

Like I said, I'm not the police here. I'm more the guy in the corner with the clipboard making suggestions.

My personal wishes are irrelevant. I'm just thinking about the taper, the transferrer, and the seeder.

A few of us are trying to obtain a raw transfer of the master, since this one was hiss reduced. The owner of the tape might say no because "why does the Queen community care about a raw transfer if they've already put it on youtube?"

Nobody's stopping anyone from making an mp3 copy and posting it anywhere they want. But it's just maybe not the best course of action at this point.

You can go up to a veteran on veteran's day, give them a quarter, and take all the poppies. It's legal, but it doesn't make it right.

Up to you, man.

I'm just here to provide a point of view that some people may not have thought of.

Nitroboy user not visiting Queenzone.com
Nitroboy
Royalty: 1568 posts

Posted: 03 Mar 17, 13:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I uploaded the Landover '78 show a day or two after you shared it Bob.
I suppose it draws attention to the show, and a lot of people ask where it can be obtained, at which point we (the uploaders on YouTube) can direct people to sites like DIME etc., so they can get the lossless recordings. I suppose that's sort of a win/win? :o

Chinwonder2

Posted: 03 Mar 17, 13:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't mind waiting a couple days or week, I'm currently thinking about working on a Montreal '81 full uncut show, trying to figure out which night the video is from will be a pain if even possible but I can try it audio wise! :)

Again, my apologies.

-Chin

The Real Wizard

Posted: 03 Mar 17, 13:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nitroboy wrote:

I uploaded the Landover '78 show a day or two after you shared it Bob.
I suppose it draws attention to the show, and a lot of people ask where it can be obtained, at which point we (the uploaders on YouTube) can direct people to sites like DIME etc., so they can get the lossless recordings. I suppose that's sort of a win/win? :o

Well, that's me - I personally didn't mind. And I agree with that method of spreading awareness.

But I have also seen my fair share of old curmudgeon tapers who literally would have burned the rest of their Queen masters to teach people a lesson.

It's a whole side of things that people don't see if their activity is limited to places like Queenzone and youtube. Ever read the Freezer's Revenge thread on The Traders' Den? These things usually happen in private, but we're lucky enough to have this up for posterity. Skimming any random few pages of that 500 page thread is essential for any music collector, and should have any sane minded individual thinking twice before potentially pissing off a taper.

Hell, I've seen tapers punish collecting communities because their tapes got bootlegged - at no fault of the community, yet the community gets punished. So you'd better believe that actions of the community can have consequences. I can name at least three Queen tapes that will forever remain uncirculated for these reasons.

But you don't have to take my word for it. I've only been doing this for about 20 years ;)

The Kurgan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2237 posts

Posted: 03 Mar 17, 14:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Go on, name the three tapes ;)

The Real Wizard

Posted: 03 Mar 17, 14:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Kurgan wrote:

Go on, name the three tapes ;)

I knew that was coming !

New Orleans 3-18-75
New York 12-1-77 source 3
Zurich 4-16-82 source 2

Next question? ;)

gambri user not visiting Queenzone.com
gambri
Bohemian: 189 posts

Posted: 03 Mar 17, 14:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

gambri
Bohemian: 189 posts

Posted: 03 Mar 17, 14:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote