Forums > Queen - General Discussion > clarification of Thor Arnold's role in Freddie's life

forum rss feed
Author

Villiers user not visiting Queenzone.com
Villiers
Bohemian: 238 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Aug 17, 21:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am glad Freddie had a group of fellow gay friends like you Thor - he is often portrayed as having no genuine friends at all (people taking his somewhat melodramatic statements of only having one friend [Mary] literally!) It's good to know he had people in his life with whom he could just let loose and have a laugh with. I love hearing his friends repeat all his one-liners. I always got the impression from photos and other footage that he looked really happy with the 'New York Daughters' and that he was all different personalities rolled into one, sophisticated and occasionally wild.

I feel people should give Freddie a break - he was only doing what other gay men of the time were doing. After repressing it for so long; it must have felt somewhat close to freedom; finally getting to explore that aspect of himself, especially as he slipped under the radar of the press by blending in. I think it makes it all the more tragic what happened to him in the end.

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1698 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 17, 01:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Villiers,
I appreciate your response and couldn't agree with you more! Some people think Freddie belongs in a single box, unaware of the multiple aspects of his personality and lifestyle.

Here is a Freddie quote just for you. Freddie loved his new short haired, moustached look in the early eighties. He even told us,"Ooooh dear, during that whole long hair and outrageous clothes thing, I knew I looked ridiculous... BUT IT WORKED!."

Sheer Brass Neck user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 801 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 17, 03:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Your reply to Sheldon was infinitely more gracious than mine would have been :)

thundergod

Posted: 03 Aug 17, 04:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you for your comment Sheer Brass Neck. I am just a visitor here and all comments and questions are considered. If I can answer a question, I will. I've never claimed to be an expert on Freddie and I realize there are large gaps in my knowledge of "all things Freddie." But I am glad to answer what I can. About 90-95% of responses have been very kind and thoughtful. Thank you all.

matt z user not visiting Queenzone.com
this is not my display message
matt z
Deity: 4253 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 17, 05:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

^Ditto that sentiment. The whole question came off as disparaging. Anyways. Thanks for the replies.

Being that you've brought up the Delilah feature once again, I figure I could ask something relevant.

For some time (late 90's- 00's) I'd heard from different Queen fan sites (*fan pages) that "there likely was no Delilah; cause we've never seen photos of her"... and Delilah was somewhat relegated to mythic status (*these are super fans of course. ...cause who rightfully gives 2.....someone else's pet etc etc)

Point is...Delilah....was she truly Freddie's favorite cat? ...or was she simply "Queen Bitch the Majestic" who did whatever she wanted, and this oddly delighted Fred?

Maybe both?

What become of Delilah anyways? Was she the one that defected to the neighbors lawn?

Btw: It IS odd even talking about someone else's pet.

Also. ..did Freddie ever meet Prince Rogers Nelson? ....attend any of his shows? The time frame is right for early 80's NY/LA shows and 85-87 European tours.

I've wondered what's driven me to "majestic" bands after all. ...QUEEN, a KING OF POP, a PRINCE, ....guess the rock world is kinda short on the princesses

"Come tonight! Come see the Overbite! Come to Ogre Battle, FIGHTt!"
Chopin1995 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Chopin1995
Bohemian: 905 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 17, 11:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you Thor! Nice to hear from you. I don't have any questions but reading your memories is interesting enough. I wish you all the best!

thundergod

Posted: 03 Aug 17, 13:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi matt z,
Delilah was very real and I saw her two or three times. She was very shy and often hid from strangers at the Garden Lodge. I do not know what became of her after Freddie's passing but I am sure that plans for her were made and carried out. Also, I don't believe that I ever heard the name Prince Rogers Nelson. Who is/was he anyway?

Hello Chopin 1995,
Thank you for your pleasant comments.

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 7131 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 17, 15:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wikipedia wrote:

Prince Rogers Nelson (June 7, 1958 – April 21, 2016) was an American singer-songwriter, actor, multi-instrumentalist, philanthropist, dancer and record producer. He was a musical innovator who was known for his eclectic work, flamboyant stage presence, extravagant dress and makeup, and wide vocal range. His music integrates a wide variety of styles, including funk, rock, R&B, new wave, soul, psychedelia, and pop. He has sold over 100 million records worldwide, making him one of the best-selling artists of all time. He won seven Grammy Awards, an American Music Award, a Golden Globe Award, and an Academy Award for the film Purple Rain. He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2004, his first year of eligibility.

John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Rog didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Wales is not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 vox.
matt z

Posted: 03 Aug 17, 16:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thundergod wrote:

Hi matt z,
Delilah was very real and I saw her two or three times. She was very shy and often hid from strangers at the Garden Lodge. I do not know what became of her after Freddie's passing but I am sure that plans for her were made and carried out. Also, I don't believe that I ever heard the name Prince Rogers Nelson. Who is/was he anyway?

Hello Chopin 1995,
Thank you for your pleasant comments.

Oh... some little guy known as PRINCE. I've used his full name just to jar people for years. Now that he's "passed on" it's become more common to use his full name.

Briefly he was "The Artist Formerly Known As Prince" or O(+> , supremely talented and dedicated individual from Minneapolis, Minnesota. .... also known as The Purple Yoda

matt z

Posted: 03 Aug 17, 16:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd have said "Prince", only. .. he was a composer among other things and composers tend to be known by their full names. .

After all...who could forget Yohann Gambolputty de Von Ausfern -Schplenden schlitter crasscrenbon-fried-digger-dingle-dangel-dongel-dungel-burstein-von knacker thrasher apple banger. ..err..umm..

Little help?

Invisible Woman user not visiting Queenzone.com
Invisible Woman
Bohemian: 558 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 17, 16:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello again,Thor

Here are some of my questions
-Did Freddie ever have some kind of fear that his voice would not be good for some live performance?
-When you went to visit Freddie in his house Garden Lodge did you ever hear him that called Jim "my husband"?(That's Jim said in his book,that Freddie called him "my husband).

Thanks in advance.

smilefairyqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 31 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 17, 18:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Thor!

Thanks for answering these questions. It's very cool to be able to talk to you. I have a few questions. You don't have to answer all of them if you don't want to.
1.) Is it true that Freddie was moody/ had a temper?
2.) I heard some of his gay friends in London could be bitchy and fight for Freddie's attention, was this true for the New York daughters? Or was he treated like everybody else in the friend group?
3.) Did anybody ever tell him no? Or was he pretty much indulged/ everybody kissed his ass?
4.) Could you tell more funny anecdotes about Freddie? They are hilarious! I love hearing about him from people who knew him personally.

Thank you SO much for answering these questions. You seem like a great guy! I always thought Phoebe was great too.

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11217 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 17, 19:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

matt z wrote:

After all...who could forget Yohann Gambolputty de Von Ausfern -Schplenden schlitter crasscrenbon-fried-digger-dingle-dangel-dongel-dungel-burstein-von knacker thrasher apple banger. ..err..umm..

Little help?

He was from Ulm

Sheldon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 142 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 17, 20:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor, thank you very much, that was a great reply! I'm happy to hear that you guys had more in common than what has been told previously in this thread.

Just to be absolutely clear, it is the whole hedonistic lifestyle that that I'm not a huge fan of, no matter what sexual preferences anyone has. It just seems that with the exception of Peter Straker (if I remember correctly), Freddie's gay friends never talk about anything else than excessive partying in documentaries. Perhaps this even is because of personal biases of documentary makers who might want to show the gay community in a bad and decadent way, who knows.

Also, I have a feeling that Freddie wanted to keep his personal life and activities private and when very exact details are told to the world by his friends, it just feels wrong somehow.

You, of course, knew the guy personally, so you know the truth while I only make assumptions. I must say that I have enjoyed this thread a lot, like everyone else here too. I just would love to hear more stories about Freddie the human being and not Freddie the sex and drug addict (deliberate exagerration).

If my first post offended you, I apologize and I wish you all the best. Thank you for joining us here!

Arnaldo "Ogre-" Silveira user not visiting Queenzone.com
Arnaldo
Deity: 2518 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 17, 21:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thundergod wrote:

Thank you noorie. A book? Well I think that every memory I have will probably be laid out right here! I hope I have enough to last a few weeks here, the responses have been unbelievable.

It is great that you found Queenzone and decided to chat with us here, Thor. Thank you very much for your time and willingness to share.

Cheers,

Ogre-

Keep Passing the Open Windows
thundergod

Posted: 03 Aug 17, 21:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh matt z,
Aren't you just the riddler! I did not know Prince's real name, but I sure enjoyed his talent and his music. Now, had you said "Prince Michael Jackson" I would have known immediately who it was. Or even "Blanket"...LOL. I certainly did know Yohann though, and I never forgot him. I just used to spell it wrong - Johann!

thundergod

Posted: 03 Aug 17, 22:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Sebastion,
Thanks for helping me out with the Prince thing.

Hello again Invisible Woman,
I know during my time with him that he never mentioned loosing his voice. He had a Laryngologist in New York who saw him for sore throats or strained throat. This is probably know to all
but he could never have his teeth fixed due to possible changes to his voice. He was always very self-conscious of his teeth and tried to hide them when possible. Few pictures of Freddie smiling.
Also, "my husband" was not a popular phrase back then...he would call Jim his lover. But things may have changed a few years later when we were more like casual friends with only limited visits.

Hi smilefairyqueen,
1) Freddie is somewhat notorious for his occasional blow-ups, but his mood never changed when dealing with me or my friends.
2) As one might expect, Freddie's older group of friends was a little jealous of his new friends. They tried to be catty sometimes but Freddie would have no tolerance for that. In New York, we were
just a close-knit group of everyday friends. In the later visits to London, there was an unintentional competition of which group was the most clever and who could keep Freddie's attention the longest.
I could hold my own but it was Lee Nolan (Kathleen) who was skilled at making people laugh hysterically and feel good. I must say, Lee won every time.
3) The new friends, as I have said were never indulgent out of his "stardom" but were occasionally out of his "character." as a person.
4) Here's probably a new Freddie story for you: While either in London or New York, I forget which one, Freddie attended David Bowie's version of "The Elephant Man." After the show they met back stage
and Freddie offered him some lines of coca-cola for him and the people back stage. Freddie said that there was little left to share because "Miss Bowie went ACROSS the lines."

thundergod

Posted: 03 Aug 17, 22:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi again Sheldon,
Thank you for the explanation of your first comment. Hedonism is and should not be a permanent character trait. As I've said, I managed mine. Back then, growing up gay was horribly
damaging to one's sense of self. It was wrong, sinful and it was our own fault for "choosing" to be that way. Because of that, we were all a little socially awkward throughout school, even college,
so making up for lost time during young adulthood could definitely make hedonism last into your thirties. And, the fact substances were quite popular during the Studio 54 disco era dwarfs in comparison to the heroine, bath salts and fentanyl problems we face today...at least in the US.

A big Thank You for the kind words of Arnaldo "Ogre-" Silviera

smilefairyqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 31 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 17, 22:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you for answering Thor!
Did Freddie ever talk about his childhood and going to boarding school in India? He never really talked about his childhood in interviews or to people, so I wonder if he ever told his close friends anything. It must have been interesting to have him as a friend and to get to know him on a personal level.

thundergod

Posted: 03 Aug 17, 22:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello again smilefairyqueen,
Freddie rarely discussed his up-bringing, his family or his ancestry except when we once asked him his real name and he told us only a little about Zanzibar; never about India. I learned more in subsequent books about his life than from him directly. He very much loved being English and he "seemed" to have more pride in that than in his actual heritage.