Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > OIQFC - News

forum rss feed
Author

dudeofqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 397 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Oct 17, 13:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Any contributors here with anything interesting in terms of Queen news from the Convention last weekend?

brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2425 posts

Posted: 10 Oct 17, 14:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Only that Greg played some of the raw sessions tracks.
Don't want to spoil anthing, but WWRY and WATC are pants in comparison to what's due!
SHA is instrumantal with backing vocs only.
FFTI sounds like the finished instrumetal take but with Roger's demo vocs added.
SOTS is an amazing live recording that seems to go on forever, with Fred on lead vocals. Don't expect to discover where it was recorded from though. They're not officially saying, though America in 77 is as close as we'll get (and that wasn't announced by Greg...)
All Dead, All Dead. Just WOW. The best track by far (and yes, Greg played "It's Late" as well.)
I'm saying very little other than expect different vocals, emotionally delivered in places you'd never expect.
Yes. It's ALL Freddie :)

There are still 3 songs missing their multitracks thus one of the reasons there isn't a surround mix (shouldn't have stopped them fromdoing the others though), but most frustratingly there is no acceptable reason why there isn't a studio demo of "Sleeping".
QPL simply decided to include a live version on the disc. Quite frankly, that should have been on D3 with the other live material.

I shan't tell you how many tracks were presented to those in charge before they were whittled down to what they're offering us as it will only make you cry.

Posted: 10 Oct 17, 14:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

brians wig, re:

>Don't want to spoil anthing, but WWRY and WATC are pants in comparison to what's due!

Stands to reason that these would be aired first then - good start. But I still reckon that WATC vocal from Freddie is absolutely stellar!

Excellent news. All laying to waste Greg's claim that very little of substance remains in the vault.

RS_Protos user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 134 posts

Posted: 10 Oct 17, 15:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"I shan't tell you how many tracks were presented to those in charge before they were whittled down to what they're offering us as it will only make you cry. "

Maximum profit with minimum material...........

Very sad

Riku M user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 45 posts

Posted: 10 Oct 17, 15:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

RS_Protos wrote:

"I shan't tell you how many tracks were presented to those in charge before they were whittled down to what they're offering us as it will only make you cry. "

Maximum profit with minimum material...........

Very sad

I agree. The extra cost for an additional cd would have been non existant. When you are at the end of your career, why not be a little generous with the music? I wonder who it was that put the thumb down. Very sad indeed!

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 19429 posts

Posted: 10 Oct 17, 15:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

brians wig wrote:

I shan't tell you how many tracks were presented to those in charge before they were whittled down to what they're offering us as it will only make you cry.

The LA live version of White Christmas was on the list.

And you're right, I don't want to know any more.

But - Queen are a hits band, so the business plan always goes into that direction. It's not like 80% of their fans are hardcore, like King Crimson fans. It's far less than 1%.

We really should be amazed we're getting things like this and the Rainbow box set at all.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
rhapsody8 user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhapsody8
Bohemian: 750 posts

Posted: 10 Oct 17, 15:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

brians wig wrote:

All Dead, All Dead. Just WOW. The best track by far (and yes, Greg played "It's Late" as well.)

Was All Dead All Dead full Freddie vocal version or only some vocal bits from him?

Thanks for informations...

Get your head down baby - we're gonna ride tonight...

Posted: 10 Oct 17, 15:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

brians wig, re:

>I shan't tell you how many tracks were presented to those in charge before they were whittled down to what they're offering us as it will only make you cry.

I'm more prepared to cough up for the Kleenex than the box set......... Please expand if you can.

Posted: 10 Oct 17, 16:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

dudeofqueen wrote:

brians wig, re:

>I shan't tell you how many tracks were presented to those in charge before they were whittled down to what they're offering us as it will only make you cry.

I'm more prepared to cough up for the Kleenex than the box set......... Please expand if you can.

OK.
Direct quote "Justin, Kris and I, we put together probably about 16 versions of tracks and then we waited with some trepidation....
...In my case I thought they'd all get thrown out and we'd have about two left..."

Make of that what you will.
At the time I thought it meant 16 verisons of each track. Maybe it just means 16 tracks?

MercurialFreddie user not visiting Queenzone.com
old fashioned dandy
MercurialFreddie
Bohemian: 892 posts

Posted: 10 Oct 17, 17:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow! Bloody hell! 16 versions of tracks..... So Brian, Roger and Jim rejected about 150 versions.... It's depressing how these guys work so hard, present their ideas and versions on the table and then the end product is only a tiny bit of what was presented.

Posted: 10 Oct 17, 18:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MercurialFreddie wrote:

Wow! Bloody hell! 16 versions of tracks..... So Brian, Roger and Jim rejected about 150 versions.... It's depressing how these guys work so hard, present their ideas and versions on the table and then the end product is only a tiny bit of what was presented.

Assuming they even did 16 takes of each track that was different enough from the final version to be considered for release.

It's difficult to be precise about what he actually meant as I'm sure he's purposely vague about things.

inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13107 posts

Posted: 10 Oct 17, 19:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

brians wig wrote:
SOTS is an amazing live recording that seems to go on forever. Don't expect to discover where it was recorded from though. They're not officially saying, though America in 77 is as close as we'll get (and that wasn't announced by Greg...)

So was it Freddie on lead vocal then?

Posted: 10 Oct 17, 19:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

inu-liger wrote:

brians wig wrote:
SOTS is an amazing live recording that seems to go on forever. Don't expect to discover where it was recorded from though. They're not officially saying, though America in 77 is as close as we'll get (and that wasn't announced by Greg...)

So was it Freddie on lead vocal then?

Yes.

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11072 posts

Posted: 10 Oct 17, 19:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MercurialFreddie wrote:

They may have composited some in order to give us as much variation as possible

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 19429 posts

Posted: 11 Oct 17, 00:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

brians wig wrote:

SOTS is an amazing live recording that seems to go on forever, with Fred on lead vocals. Don't expect to discover where it was recorded from though. They're not officially saying, though America in 77 is as close as we'll get (and that wasn't announced by Greg...)

...which means they're sitting on at least two complete US 77 soundboards.

How unbelievably frustrating and sad.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
soxtalon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 427 posts

Posted: 11 Oct 17, 03:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for the info - just from that quote - I'd imagine that it meant 16 versions of tracks - meant 16 total tracks...not 150 or whatever

But still - some frustrating tidbits there - all could have been included with one extra CD - or they could have thrown in one of the 77 soundboards...

MrFunster user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 499 posts

Posted: 11 Oct 17, 07:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Posted: 11 Oct 17, 09:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Real Wizard wrote:

brians wig wrote:

...which means they're sitting on at least two complete US 77 soundboards.

How unbelievably frustrating and sad.

I'll go with that.
I see no reason why they won't tell us the date unless the presented song is an amalgamation of two or more recordings.
The silly thing is, we all know that Queen do overdubs and that the Rainbow DVD was an amalgamation of both nights, yet they werer transparant with that....

Dr Magus user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 83 posts

Posted: 11 Oct 17, 10:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To be honest i find all the cloak and dagger secrecy surrounding their archive info to be incredibly tiresome. Comparisons with other bands are inevitable.

MrFunster user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 499 posts

Posted: 11 Oct 17, 10:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

brians wig wrote:

Only that Greg played some of the raw sessions tracks.
Don't want to spoil anthing, but WWRY and WATC are pants in comparison to what's due!
SHA is instrumantal with backing vocs only.
FFTI sounds like the finished instrumetal take but with Roger's demo vocs added.
I'm saying very little other than expect different vocals, emotionally delivered in places you'd never expect.
Yes. It's ALL Freddie :)

There are still 3 songs missing their multitracks thus one of the reasons there isn't a surround mix (shouldn't have stopped them fromdoing the others though), but most frustratingly there is no acceptable reason why there isn't a studio demo of "Sleeping".
QPL simply decided to include a live version on the disc. Quite frankly, that should have been on D3 with the other live material.

Can you tell me something about its late track. Is this different to the original release. So different vocals and guitar riffs....
Concerning sheer heart attack, is it roger who sings the backing vocals?

Really looking forward all dead all dead and sleeping !