forum rss feed
Author

Chief Mouse user not visiting Queenzone.com
Video Man
Chief Mouse
Deity: 2208 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Mar 18, 19:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So first of all, I have to say I'm sorry. Last year in October I was in the middle of working on this concert when my monitor died and since I was largely out of money at that time our friend Brianswig suggested a crowd funding. I can't thank this community enough for the generosity! :) Anyway, I promised Earls Court as a reward. Unfortunately it has taken *way* longer than I originally intended due to some mishaps with the audio (let's just say I am not an audio guy, if I was this wouldn't have taken nearly as long) but I won't get into that so to not waste the precious white space on this thread. After many tests, re-renders, more tests and more re-renders, here it finally is!

Things to note.

This perhaps may be an upgrade *but* it is by no means perfect. It feels more like a compromise since nothing will come close to the official material. Why compromise? Well. This was a new tape transfer done specially for improvement purposes. Thanks to these certain people. They wanted to remain anonymous for their own reasons so I'll respect that and won't reveal any details. The transfer was made by Brianswig and here's his comment on the lineage - "SVHS source, played back from a Phillips VR1000 via an external TBC and captured digitally on a matrox RT2500 as DV AVI."
So the tape, it is the best one we've had yet but it had big problems. Firstly, a huge ass timecode, very similar to that of Antiden's version if anyone remembers it. Secondly, two horizontal lines of shifted pixels that randomly appear and disappear throughout the concert. Once you see them you can't unsee them. Just shifting the pixels won't work because as I said it appears randomly, but thankfully in the same place.

For the timecode the raw VHS transfer shared by CMI a few years ago due to my request was very fitting. Back then I didn't find it just good enough but for a patch job it's perfect. It was shared here - http://www.queenzone.com/forums/1390695/queen-1977-06-06-london-earls-court.aspx . It had some dropped frames throughout the concert so every now and then the sync needed to be adjusted so that the masked timecode part of the image doesn't drift out of sync with the rest of the image.
For those who don't know, this was the original that was remastered by Sniville and then improved and packaged further by Pittrek thus making what we considered the definitive version for years. My goal was to top that at least as far as image quality. The problem with this source was that it cut off for a few seconds at a few points during the concert, which means that the timecode would be left visible for a few seconds about 3 or so times at certain parts of the show. I dug out some extremely old, crappy and dark looking NTSC version that I had lying around for some reason and used it to patch up these bits of timecode. It was a nightmare making it blend so that it's not very noticeable. I won't tell exactly where this was cos it wouldn't be fun huh? Feel free to notice if you can! :-)

Another problem with the raw VHS version I used for main timecode masking was that the frame position would ever so slightly change angle by angle. Meaning if I aligned it perfectly to a certain shot, it might be a bit off in the next shot. I didn't go through this shot by shot because it would be a nightmare. So if you notice that John has a hint of double legs in a wide shot or whatever - that's just how it is.

Now, about those shifted pixels. TBC was performed so they must have been burned in the tape. Those lines can't be masked with the other source because it would be very noticeable since the area is small. I wasn't quite sure how to tackle that. I'm not that smart in Avisynth as some of you may think. Luckily I have a certain genius friend from another community who kindly helped me out with a solution to this! For the most part the fix works really damn well. You can notice some faint lines if diagonal looking objects in the frame are beneath these masks. So again, not perfect but as good as it gets. Way better than shifted pixels anyway.

The main image was cleaned up as per my usual process, nothing much to say.

The audio was sent to me by our friend Real Wizard. It comes from the Miracle Express VHS. Nitroboy helped out at the end big time when he took it upon himself to EQ, sync and prepare the audio for muxing to the video. He also made the chapters. So special thanks to my friend Nitroboy (Simon Christensen)! Thanks to Chinwonder for ever being willing to help and proof-watching the work in progress video and the final video for me. As some of you may know, I have previously shared some buggy versions which I later on had to figure out how to fix and reupload and rename the thread title and all that awful hassle! The videos would just stop playing at a certain point unless you skip past it. Still not quite sure why that happened. Anyway, this one should have no playback problems.

Simple, Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire

And here's a comparison of Pittrek's version vs this one -

P.S. we finally see texture of Freddie's face & skin :D

https://mega.nz/#!9Ooj1SxD!ORqTu3u_rkw4VrsY2FkIOWsFrYlJxsBEBbRsTaQQqAs .

Chinwonder2 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Chinwonder2
Royalty: 1897 posts

Posted: 22 Mar 18, 20:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Awesome work as always! :D

-Chin

Check out my channel for various goodies! :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/Chinwonder2

Join us on the new forum here:

http://queenforum.net/
NickESB user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 196 posts

Posted: 22 Mar 18, 20:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow, this looks great! Thanks to everybody for their efforts.

Cruella de Vil user not visiting Queenzone.com
Cruella de Vil
Bohemian: 460 posts

Posted: 22 Mar 18, 20:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you! Sorry to hear about your mum, maybe she's up there with the best "having champagne for breakfast".

cmi user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmi
Royalty: 1248 posts

Posted: 22 Mar 18, 20:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

GREAT!!! I know what I will watch tomorrow evening :) Thanks a lot to all participants.

The image is much more natural and crisper than Sniville's version (respect to him for all these years).

Chief, was there a decision not to use official snippets from this show?

The saddest thing that we all know that both these shows' masters gather dust on the shelves and no one knows when they finally be officially released...

onedunpark user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 403 posts

Posted: 22 Mar 18, 20:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Huge, huge thanks to all involved in bringing this new definitive version to us.

Golden Salmon user is on Queenzone.com
OwO

Bohemian: 646 posts

Posted: 22 Mar 18, 20:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Great work! Your dedication is priceless. Thank you kindly!

Video Man
Chief Mouse

Posted: 22 Mar 18, 20:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Cruella de Vil wrote:

Thank you! Sorry to hear about your mum, maybe she's up there with the best "having champagne for breakfast".

No probs, it was my monitor that broke (died) though.

Video Man
Chief Mouse

Posted: 22 Mar 18, 20:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

cmi wrote:

Chief, was there a decision not to use official snippets from this show?

The saddest thing that we all know that both these shows' masters gather dust on the shelves and no one knows when they finally be officially released...

Well, I rather get accustomed to a certain image and go through with. Jumping to snippets every now and then would be a bit distracting for me personally.

Thistle user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4071 posts

Posted: 22 Mar 18, 20:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I cannot wait to see this. A big thanks to everyone involved.

CM - you are fucking awesome!!

DepeX user not visiting Queenzone.com
DepeX
Royalty: 1053 posts

Posted: 22 Mar 18, 20:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

All right, I almost read in your mind in my last youtube post :-)
Thank you very much!

"I won't be a rock star. I will be a legend"
pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 11061 posts

Posted: 22 Mar 18, 20:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It wants to download for 6 hours, so I'll leave it till tomorrow, but I still want to say my huge thanks to everybody involved!

Harry_queenrecordings user not visiting Queenzone.com
Harry_queenrecordings
Bohemian: 654 posts

Posted: 22 Mar 18, 22:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This looks very awesome. Many thanks for everyone involved!

It's A Beautiful Day...

http://www.queenrecordings.com
Thistle user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4071 posts

Posted: 22 Mar 18, 22:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thankfully, didn't need to wait 6 hours! Within an hour or so, I was watching this in glorious quality. Thanks again, it really is an amazing share :)

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 11061 posts

Posted: 22 Mar 18, 22:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thistleboy1980 wrote:

Thankfully, didn't need to wait 6 hours! Within an hour or so, I was watching this in glorious quality. Thanks again, it really is an amazing share :)

Lucky you, after 3 hours of downloading the remaining estimated time for me is 7 hours 55 minutes.

brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2618 posts

Posted: 22 Mar 18, 22:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So glad to see SO many of us getting involved in this project.
THIS is what QZ should be all about - getting the best talent and the best sources together to produce the best product possible.

What do you want from me next Chief Mouse! LOL

dave76 user not visiting Queenzone.com
dave76
Bohemian: 868 posts

Posted: 22 Mar 18, 23:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is what you get when Brian, Roger and Jim refuses... Good work to everyone involved.

matt z user not visiting Queenzone.com
this message is...
matt z
Deity: 4836 posts

Posted: 23 Mar 18, 00:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Looks friggin glorious! I've gotta find a way to view this while my laptop is dead. There is no question that one CHIEF Mouse.

"Come tonight! Come see the Overbite! Come to Ogre Battle, FIGHT!"

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 21555 posts

Posted: 23 Mar 18, 00:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As a guy who has been collecting this stuff for 20 years, it's rare that a video you've watched countless times feels new again. My first copy of this was mostly black and white, and the audio was awful beyond belief. Version after version came and went, and now all these years later we've got this wonderful colour version with all the details I could only imagine once upon a time.

It's unfathomable, the hours you put into this - it sounds like a nightmare, but it was a labour of love. Brilliant job, and dare I say keep them coming ! Your work is unparalleled.

Needless to say - until this show is officially released, this will be the definitive version.

Queenzone is overrun with trolls and circling the drain - join us here instead:

http://queenforum.net
Cruella de Vil user not visiting Queenzone.com
Cruella de Vil
Bohemian: 460 posts

Posted: 23 Mar 18, 01:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dear chief mouse, that's what you get by typing something between coffee, kids and feeding the dog before going to work! Just another in a chain of Senior Moments!