Forums > Queen + Adam Lambert > Advice?

forum rss feed
Author

liveistheshow user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 6 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Jun 18, 10:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey there,

I am a Queen-Fan since 1991...a friend of mine copied me all the albums on tapes, my first CD ever was the "Greatest Hits 2" = )

So far I always thought it would be better not to see Queen+Lambert live, since it could spoil my idea of Queen - being just 50 % of the Band.

This changed at a Foo Fighters concert, where they played "Under Pressure". I was captured, though the singing of the drummer seemed awkward sometimes. Now on instinct I ordered tickets for the show in Hamburg..thinking if Foo Fighters could rock a Queen-Song, maybe 50 % of orginal-Queen surely couldnt do worse.

Any advice for the concert ahead? Should I be prepared in any way? Havent listened to any Concert-Clips or songs so far..

all the best.

rockchic65 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 843 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 18, 10:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

liveistheshow wrote:

Hey there,

I am a Queen-Fan since 1991...a friend of mine copied me all the albums on tapes, my first CD ever was the "Greatest Hits 2" = )

So far I always thought it would be better not to see Queen+Lambert live, since it could spoil my idea of Queen - being just 50 % of the Band.

This changed at a Foo Fighters concert, where they played "Under Pressure". I was captured, though the singing of the drummer seemed awkward sometimes. Now on instinct I ordered tickets for the show in Hamburg..thinking if Foo Fighters could rock a Queen-Song, maybe 50 % of orginal-Queen surely couldnt do worse.

Any advice for the concert ahead? Should I be prepared in any way? Havent listened to any Concert-Clips or songs so far..

all the best.

Since you've already bought tickets I would just do what you've already done and avoid watching any clips so that you don't go with any preconceived ideas about the show. I saw them last November and it was an amazing show, the staging, lights, the way they've arranged the show is brilliant. The other main thing is to just think of it as a celebration of Queen's music with a brilliant singer who does it his own way and doesn't try to sound like or imitate Freddie.

cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3415 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 18, 11:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rockchic65 wrote:

liveistheshow wrote:

Hey there,

all the best.

Since you've already bought tickets I would just do what you've already done and avoid watching any clips so that you don't go with any preconceived ideas about the show. I saw them last November and it was an amazing show, the staging, lights, the way they've arranged the show is brilliant. The other main thing is to just think of it as a celebration of Queen's music with a brilliant singer who does it his own way and doesn't try to sound like or imitate Freddie.

Exactly this - if you love Queen's music, are invested emotionally to some degree with what the band members and their music mean to you, and want to hear Brian's glorious and iconic guitar singing sweetly in your ears then you're onto a winner!

stevelondon20 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 445 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 18, 11:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Couldn't agree more with the 2 comments above.

SweetCaroline user is on Queenzone.com
SweetCaroline
Deity: 2239 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 18, 13:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I get criticized for saying this but I have seen them LIVE 3 times and they are spectacular!

Vocal harmony user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vocal harmony
Deity: 2040 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 18, 16:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with all the above.

You've got the tickets so go. It's a phenomenal production and it's a version of Queen that works for the present. Great that you haven't youtubed anything, you'll get the full impact and surprise of it all.

You said you had the albums taped and the first CD out had was greatest hits. Do You Have News Of The World, it's worth checking the cover art art work if you haven't got II, it's a great cover.

snifflese user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 403 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 18, 18:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I hope you go and have a ball. As long as it is Roger and Brian, you will get a good taste of Queen. For me it is Brian's iconic guitar playing and I get a kick out of the two old rockers just kicking butt. The show is phenomenal with all the lights and the stage production in general. Adam does a wonderful job interpreting the music. I would be surprised if you were disappointed, but let us know your reaction. I am looking forward to hearing your critique

Wish I were going with you! We were stationed in a tiny dorf near the Danish border in the late 1970's. My husband flew with a German fighter squadron. It was one of our best tours! I speak pretty fluent German, so it was wonderful for me. We have managed to get back twice to Germany in the last 7 years and were there with our son and his wife this past summer. That son was born in a German hospital in Flensburg so he wanted to see where he was "geboren". He always says that and we have to chuckle. I am a huge fan of Germany and hope to go again in the future!

Really hope you have lots of fun at the concert!!

Posted: 13 Jun 18, 18:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

happystar wrote:

Liveistheshow : Expect the worst mate and yes Queen is watered down like orange juice and Adam Lambert will make the show sound like some sort of panto but its your opinion
when you see this pathetic cheesy show, personally i would just stick to your Cds and savour the memories because lets face it Queen have lost the magic a long time ago when Fred & John vanished.

Just wondering when you saw them live, didn't realize you'd actually been to a show?

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 20075 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 18, 18:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's a cross between rock and musical theatre. The production, pacing, and choreography of the show are top notch. Old songs presented in a very contemporary way.

Unless you're an absolute curmudgeon or hoping for someone to pull off a resurrection, you're bound to have a great time.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca

Posted: 13 Jun 18, 19:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Real Wizard wrote:

It's a cross between rock and musical theatre. The production, pacing, and choreography of the show are top notch. Old songs presented in a very contemporary way.

Unless you're an absolute curmudgeon or hoping for someone to pull off a resurrection, you're bound to have a great time.

That's exactly how I'd describe it, part rock gig, part theater show, I absolutely loved it and like you say the production is incredible, they really have gone all out on that.

runner_70 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 716 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 18, 19:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If you're a real Queen fan you should stay as far away as you possibly can from this tragedy. If you like Queen songs being destroyed, the might Freddie being mocked with a singing goat looking like a fat clown with a coronet singing
Queen songs with Celien Dion Vibrato then you have to give it a go. It's up to you. Don't say we did not warn you. QAL has nothing to do with Queen. It is not even a bad parody.

Iron Butterfly user not visiting Queenzone.com
Iron Butterfly
Royalty: 1936 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 18, 20:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If it were me, I'd think I'd want to watch some videos of past shows before going.

Posted: 13 Jun 18, 20:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

runner_70 wrote:

If you're a real Queen fan you should stay as far away as you possibly can from this tragedy. If you like Queen songs being destroyed, the might Freddie being mocked with a singing goat looking like a fat clown with a coronet singing
Queen songs with Celien Dion Vibrato then you have to give it a go. It's up to you. Don't say we did not warn you. QAL has nothing to do with Queen. It is not even a bad parody.

Oh do stop spouting your nonsense, various people who've been to a show have just said what it's like but you, who haven't been to a live show, apparently know better. The best thing he can do is ignore you and happystar since you are both determined to contradict anyone who enjoys these shows and just see for himself. It's not Queen, we all know that but it doesn't make it bad, just different, and as you well know loads of "real Queen fans" are loving it.

Posted: 13 Jun 18, 20:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Iron Butterfly wrote:

If it were me, I'd think I'd want to watch some videos of past shows before going.

I'd say that's a bad idea for anyone who hasn't seen the vids already. The vids are done mostly by Adam's fans, they focus very close up on everything he does at every minute. Brian does a guitar solo in a song but unless he's stood next to Adam you will very rarely see it. They zoom right up to the stage, every expression and everything Adam does is up front and center, that's a million miles away from the experience of actually being at the show. I was already a fan of Adam but if I hadn't been I could have been put off by that, and it was so totally different actually being there.

SweetCaroline

Posted: 13 Jun 18, 20:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Don’t listen to the naysayers! It is amazing, fantastic, spectacular!

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 13 Jun 18, 20:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rockchic65 wrote:

Iron Butterfly wrote:

I'd say that's a bad idea for anyone who hasn't seen the vids already. The vids are done mostly by Adam's fans, they focus very close up on everything he does at every minute. Brian does a guitar solo in a song but unless he's stood next to Adam you will very rarely see it. They zoom right up to the stage, every expression and everything Adam does is up front and center, that's a million miles away from the experience of actually being at the show. I was already a fan of Adam but if I hadn't been I could have been put off by that, and it was so totally different actually being there.

Oh, I know what some of those videos are like.
I do watch the shows for Brian and Roger...and yes, sometimes they are rarely seen. And that's awful, IMO.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 20075 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 18, 20:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Iron Butterfly wrote:

rockchic65 wrote:

Iron Butterfly wrote:

I do watch the shows for Brian and Roger...and yes, sometimes they are rarely seen. And that's awful, IMO.

That won't be the case in Europe.

Brian and Roger could tour with a cardboard cutout of Justin Bieber, and they would still sell out stadiums.

Adam Lambert may matter in North America, but elsewhere he's just the condiment to the main dish.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca

Posted: 13 Jun 18, 20:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Iron Butterfly wrote:

rockchic65 wrote:

Iron Butterfly wrote:

I never video shows, I'd much rather just be in the moment so I can't really complain about how they do them but it doesn't really show what it's actually like to be there.

SweetCaroline

Posted: 13 Jun 18, 20:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They were seen today, beautifully, on the live closeup feed of the whole show! Did you watch?

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 13 Jun 18, 22:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Real Wizard wrote:

Iron Butterfly wrote:

rockchic65 wrote:

Iron Butterfly wrote:

That won't be the case in Europe.

Brian and Roger could tour with a cardboard cutout of Justin Bieber, and they would still sell out stadiums.

Adam Lambert may matter in North America, but elsewhere he's just the condiment to the main dish.

I don't think he matters as much in North America as some people think. He will be known as the American Idol runner up and for so so so albums. Mind you, I like the two those albums.