Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Roger Taylor hated YMBF

forum rss feed
Author

adamatt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 2 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Jun 18, 15:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Once heard an audio of Roger screaming 'I'm happy at home are not fucking rock and roll lyrics" while, it seems, producing the You're My Best Friend track. Any ideas where this audio can be found? Thank you.

Golden Salmon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 227 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 18, 16:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"From Rags To Rhapsody" documentary:

That line, "happy at home"... I can remember Roger going: "I don't want that fucking line on here! We're not singing 'happy at home', for fuck's sake! It's rock and roll! What is this? The Women's Institute?"

people on streets user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1532 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 18, 17:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

adamatt wrote:

Once heard an audio of Roger screaming 'I'm happy at home are not fucking rock and roll lyrics" while, it seems, producing the You're My Best Friend track. Any ideas where this audio can be found? Thank you.

And he's damn right. I never liked it either.

But that's the beauty of Queen. Four individual song writers that all had their say in how a song came about.

I suppose Queen woud've been far less interesting if they haven't been as democratic as they were.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 19947 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 18, 19:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

people on streets wrote:

But that's the beauty of Queen. Four individual song writers that all had their say in how a song came about.

I suppose Queen woud've been far less interesting if they haven't been as democratic as they were.

Bingo.

Mercury hated Gimme The Prize
May hated Don't Stop Me Now
May, Deacon, and Taylor hated most of Hot Space

And who knows what else.

They all had songs they didn't like. That's what happens when there are four strong personalities in the band and no pushovers. The result is a ton of compromise. No doubt theirs was a complex dynamic throughout the years.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3305 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 18, 23:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Funny I think Best Friend has simple and beautiful lryics, While I'm In Love With My Car is much weaker....Best Friend is a classic, especially In the US. Just four wheeled friends now.....brilliant!

Jimmy Dean user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 637 posts

Posted: 14 Jun 18, 02:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pretty sure roger wouldn't say he hates it now - lots of his latest stuff wasn't "rock n roll"...in fact happy at home is quite the statement compared to plenty of lines from fun on earth. 1975 Roger would kick the shit our of 2013 Roger.

I just wanna be with you
I just wanna have you here
Be with you

Where you are in the world (it's a sunny day)
It's a sunny day (it's a beautiful, wonderful day) yeah
Oh yeah

Be my partner
Be my pal
Be my gal

In comes the sun
And light will shine
In every place
Because you smile

Jimmy Dean user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 637 posts

Posted: 14 Jun 18, 02:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Real Wizard wrote:

people on streets wrote:

Bingo.

And who knows what else.

They all had songs they didn't like. That's what happens when there are four strong personalities in the band and no pushovers. The result is a ton of compromise. No doubt theirs was a complex dynamic throughout the years.

great point... also would help explain how some of the spottier album's got their tracks chosen. particularly on Jazz and Hot Space. or even Coming Soon on The Game.

fras444 user is on Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 226 posts

Posted: 14 Jun 18, 03:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I remember reading that John also hated Gimmy the prize

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3305 posts

Posted: 14 Jun 18, 04:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like Gimme The Prize

runner_70 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 325 posts

Posted: 14 Jun 18, 05:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Deacon hated Hot SPace? Guess not as he was a fan of the black/funky stuff. Brian and ROger did hate it I guess

The Real Wizard

Posted: 14 Jun 18, 06:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

runner_70 wrote:

Deacon hated Hot SPace? Guess not as he was a fan of the black/funky stuff.

He was. He just didn't like Queen's version of it.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

Golden Salmon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 14 Jun 18, 07:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roger also really despised "Delilah", right? He probably didn't have any input in it.

And what about the guys criticizing their own songs? I read something about Roger disliking "A Human Body". Brian probably never said anything like this though, since he's mentioned that all his songs are like his children.

Dr Magus user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 14 Jun 18, 09:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie also hated The Call. Whe Brian first played the demo Freddie's response was "I'm glad I won't be around when you're playing THIS fucking shit."

Chopin1995 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Chopin1995
Bohemian: 467 posts

Posted: 14 Jun 18, 10:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

runner_70 wrote:

Deacon hated Hot SPace? Guess not as he was a fan of the black/funky stuff. Brian and ROger did hate it I guess

Here you go (listen from 8:11):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzOt2VGUAlk

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6817 posts

Posted: 14 Jun 18, 12:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Real Wizard wrote:

And who knows what else.

Mercury, Deacon and Taylor hated 'I Go Crazy', though that may have been because of its context rather than its contents.

Taylor hated 'Delilah', as others have mentioned. Interestingly enough, he seemed to like 'Body Language' - he just thought that wasn't really Queen (and it wasn't).

May has claimed to quite like 'Don't Stop Me Now', but not to be fond of what it represented in the sense of Mercury's separatism and hedonistic lifestyle at the time. Perhaps he was just being polite and he does/did hate it n_n I'd happily take your word over mine for this particular one.

Lennon hated 'Run for Your Life' and I think it was quite a nice song. Of course, the lyrics are really non-politically-correct at all, but they work for the character - they're, alas, realistic. And the music's simple but effective.

runner_70 wrote:

Deacon hated Hot SPace? Guess not as he was a fan of the black/funky stuff.

I love Queen, but that doesn't mean I automatically love everything they did or everything a tribute act does. Same for Beatles, Bee Gees, One Direction, Lang Lang, Spice Girls, Pink Floyd, Kurt Moll, Pentatonix, Home Free, Daniel Barenboim or any other act I'm fond of.

As a matter of fact, my love for opera (for instance) makes me more nitpicky about it, and makes me cringe when somebody doesn't do it justice (including myself, of course - especially myself). Deacy's case could've been similar: as a fan of those styles, he may have felt 'Hot Space' was a lacklustre half-arsed attempt at it, and hated it even more for it than if it'd been a metal album or a prog-rock album.

John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Rog didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Wales is not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 vox.
The Real Wizard

Posted: 14 Jun 18, 17:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

May has claimed to quite like 'Don't Stop Me Now', but not to be fond of what it represented in the sense of Mercury's separatism and hedonistic lifestyle at the time. Perhaps he was just being polite and he does/did hate it n_n I'd happily take your word over mine for this particular one.

In the last decade or so, it has become one of their most popular songs, so maybe Brian decided to tone it down and let people embrace the surface positivity of it.

But at the time it came out, he saw the implications of what it represented. I recall numerous interviews where he's pretty hesitant about it.

Apocalipsis_Darko user not visiting Queenzone.com
Apocalipsis_Darko
Bohemian: 566 posts

Posted: 14 Jun 18, 23:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think, talking with Reinhold Mack about that, John liked the album, but not liked the reception....like a failed goal.
Mack told me John and Freddie were the most members who wanted to do an album like that....perhaps at the end, John didn't like the result.
Is only a theory, in my humble opinion.
And everybody knows Mack said to Freddie....if you finish the album before I have my next son, you and John will be the godfathers...finally they did the album before, and Freddie and John were the godfathers of John Frederick Mack.
And we can't forget there are demos with more guitars and less electronic, funk elements.
Taylor Hawkings told me it was the album Freddie wanted. I think is the album John and Freddie wanted, but it was a failure in the charts, and they didn't like it at the end. As I said before, is only my theory. Peter Freestone told me something similar about Mr. Bad Guy. Freddie liked until he knew it was a failure in charts.
About Don't Stop Me Now Brian hated what represents the song. About the music, I don't know.
Another thing, last week a friend gave me an interview he did with Malcolm Young (R.I.P.), and Malcolm said Brian always said to them Queen would be a rock band always, being like in the 70's, he didn't like it the change in the 80's into more pop and disco music.

Sebastian

Posted: 15 Jun 18, 01:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

When it comes to what John liked, John's a far more reliable source than you or me or Mack or anybody else. If John said John didn't like it, John didn't like it.

John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Rog didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Wales is not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 vox.
Apocalipsis_Darko user not visiting Queenzone.com
Apocalipsis_Darko
Bohemian: 566 posts

Posted: 15 Jun 18, 01:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.queenarchives.com/index.php?title=John_Deacon_-_XX-XX-1985_-_The_Hit
Here's the quote when John said he didn't like Hot Space? Only want the info Sebastian. You must be true. I was only saying theories...nothing more, nothing less.
You know, there is a lot of things....I mean, reading the book by Brian May, 3d, he said again Hot Space was an influence in Thriller...and I never found a quote by Michael Jackson said Hot Space was an influence.

Sebastian

Posted: 15 Jun 18, 03:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've given you the links before, there's no need to go through it all over again. But, anyway, the best one is the one where you can actually *hear* him saying so: https://youtu.be/gzOt2VGUAlk?t=8m11s