Forums > Queen + Adam Lambert > Classic Rock: Why Adam is the perfect man for Queen

forum rss feed
Author

Brancelli user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 158 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Nov 18, 08:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it's great Adam got the opportunity to sing with Queen, but that's not the type of rock he sings. He just pales in comparison. This is where Adam excels in terms of a rock song (which I don't think he can sing anymore, the last 3 minutes or so, anyway).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmXbG9ezXS8

I apologize for posting links to Adam like Caroline, but I don't think one can come away with thinking Adam is a bad singer after listening to these (Caroline's included). Might not be for Queen, but a great singer.

Brancelli user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 158 posts

Posted: 22 Nov 18, 08:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rockchic65 user is on Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1745 posts

Posted: 22 Nov 18, 08:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brancelli wrote:

I think it's great Adam got the opportunity to sing with Queen, but that's not the type of rock he sings. He just pales in comparison. This is where Adam excels in terms of a rock song (which I don't think he can sing anymore, the last 3 minutes or so, anyway).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmXbG9ezXS8

I apologize for posting links to Adam like Caroline, but I don't think one can come away with thinking Adam is a bad singer after listening to these (Caroline's included). Might not be for Queen, but a great singer.

I don't think it's that he can't sing like that anymore it's just he's not done any solo shows for a long while and it's not the type of rock that suits Queen songs. He doesn't do Queen type rock, his voice is more hair metal style so IMO he changes Queen songs to fit his voice better. Also he's changed quite a bit from when he first started, he doesn't do the completely wild vocal runs etc he's a lot more controlled and uses them more sparingly, he said he's learned you don't always need to do that all the time.

oligneisti user not visiting Queenzone.com
oligneisti
Bohemian: 211 posts

Posted: 22 Nov 18, 11:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Iron Butterfly wrote:

SweetCaroline wrote:

Can you read? This thread is about Adam and Queen. Yes, I know about the sad day on November 24.

You have no shame. I was wonder if a Glambert would post about the anniversary of AL's first album and AL being perfect here on QZ, the best for Brian and Roger, but to do it so close to the 24th is shameful. Give your head a shake.

So, how many days are we supposed to observe silence about Adam Lambert around this time of year? Three days? A Week? Is it just before the anniversary or should we also pretend that he doesn't exist in the days following?

I know the 24th is a day many of us remember and have strong feelings associated with but trying to extend it as if it is a holy time that we should spend reflecting on Freddie is nonsense.

Like Adam or hate Adam, I just don't care. Just move on. Don't let it control your life.

Iron Butterfly user not visiting Queenzone.com
Iron Butterfly
Deity: 3597 posts

Posted: 22 Nov 18, 13:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

oligneisti wrote:

Iron Butterfly wrote:

SweetCaroline wrote:

Can you read? This thread is about Adam and Queen. Yes, I know about the sad day on November 24.

You have no shame. I was wonder if a Glambert would post about the anniversary of AL's first album and AL being perfect here on QZ, the best for Brian and Roger, but to do it so close to the 24th is shameful. Give your head a shake.

So, how many days are we supposed to observe silence about Adam Lambert around this time of year? Three days? A Week? Is it just before the anniversary or should we also pretend that he doesn't exist in the days following?

I know the 24th is a day many of us remember and have strong feelings associated with but trying to extend it as if it is a holy time that we should spend reflecting on Freddie is nonsense.

Like Adam or hate Adam, I just don't care. Just move on. Don't let it control your life.

A couple of days around this time of year would be nice without sweetcaroline bigging him up, promoting him. She does it almost every day without fail...and she's been doing it on Queen boards for years.
Freddie is beloved, respected and admired by many and rightly so. It's sad to me that so little is know about the man's music, by some all the while bigging up, promoting AL. Sorry, not sorry, it does leave a bad taste in my mouth especially around this time of year. Right now, my mind isn't on markng the anniversary of AL's first album, it's about the loss of a great man and what he left behind. No one can ( or should ) doubt it's a vast catalogue of music, so much guts and determination, a zest for life like no other that Freddie had. I've actually written a post along those lines, that I may or not share here on QZ. Freddie won't be forgotten any time soon and nor should he be forgotten.
I actually like AL and some of his solo music. I think he's a very good pop singer. I'm not letting him control my life by posting everything I can come across about him.

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 22 Nov 18, 14:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brancelli wrote:

Is touring with Queen a detriment to Adam’s voice, due to the difficulty of the catalog? I think Adam perhaps has lost a bit the last couple of years. I don’t think he can hit the notes he could 5 years ago. Still a very solid singer, but can he still sing something like Sleepwalker (Russia version) or A Change is Gonna Come (American Idol)? I don’t think he can. Hope I’m wrong. I do think he could still sing something like Soaked very well though.

There are times he hold back. I really think he did hold back with a recent version of WWTLF, then again, he wasn't singing in onstage with Brian and Roger.
He can still hit the notes, but I think he holds back every now and then as not to risk damaging his vocal cords.

anadamfan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 80 posts

Posted: 22 Nov 18, 14:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Iron Butterfly wrote:

Brancelli wrote:

Is touring with Queen a detriment to Adam’s voice, due to the difficulty of the catalog? I think Adam perhaps has lost a bit the last couple of years. I don’t think he can hit the notes he could 5 years ago. Still a very solid singer, but can he still sing something like Sleepwalker (Russia version) or A Change is Gonna Come (American Idol)? I don’t think he can. Hope I’m wrong. I do think he could still sing something like Soaked very well though.

There are times he hold back. I really think he did hold back with a recent version of WWTLF, then again, he wasn't singing in onstage with Brian and Roger.
He can still hit the notes, but I think he holds back every now and then as not to risk damaging his vocal cords.

Yes, there are times, he holds back.

His voice is also still changing/growing in a natural way. A man‘s voice still changes a lot after the vocal change in puberty.

Male voices are only completely developed and at their strongest between 35—45 years. That depends on the voice: the higher tenor voice is usually at its strongest between 35-40, while a very low bass needs longer to develop. Trained singers know, how to hold the level for a much longer time. Still, they can’t speed up the development.

That means, Adam’s voice should be at its absolute peak about this time now. It also means, that it is indeed possible, that through the sheer natural growth of his voice, he might not be able to sing the highest notes, that he did on idol any longer. Or not in a safe way, without damaging his voice.
I did notice, that his voice grew a bit lower through the years.

I can assure you, that it’s a completely natural process and has nothing to do with the demand of the Queen songs. Adam matured and also got a little wiser and calmer by doing so.

SweetCaroline user not visiting Queenzone.com
SweetCaroline
Deity: 3904 posts

Posted: 22 Nov 18, 15:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I posted that Australia interview — not to big him up — God, I am so sick of hearing that crap from icy and others — but for the exact opposite purpose to show how very admiring and respectful Adam is of Freddie.

Adam has never said anything offensive about Freddie on or off the stage. I can’t believe that after 6 years there are still people bitching about the collaboration. If B and R had wanted a Freddie sound alike to tour with, it probably would have been Marc. Maybe they will still do that, but they wanted Adam for his stage presence, versatility, dependability, congeniality and, yes, for his very special and amazing voice.

Liliane user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 32 posts

Posted: 22 Nov 18, 17:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don’t get the whole bigging up either? In case you might have missed it Icy, this is the QAL section so it is only natural to post positive articles, tweets, reviews...about QAL and Adam Lambert or to discuss QAL and Adam Lambert. You have plenty of sections on this board where you can talk and discuss Freddie. If you want to discuss Freddie here in relation to Adam or QAL, sure please go ahead. I don’t understand you getting mad about people posting about QAL and Adam on a QAL and Adam board. If anything, you are being off-topic, not Sweetcaroline. It just defies common sense to me. I get that Freddie is very important to you. And that to you, he is a legend, inspiring, talented...And I do agree with you about it. Freddie was really special. But it does not mean that the whole world has to agree with you, feel the way you do or act the way you want. Just so you understand, Adam is as inspiring, talented and special to us his fans as Freddie is to you. And if you don’t feel the same way about Adam, so be it. We’ll just have to agree to disagree. Please stop chastising or impose on SweetCaroline what she can or cannot post. It is frankly getting ridiculous.

Posted: 22 Nov 18, 17:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And just to be clear, if SweetCaroline had gone into a general Queen board or a Freddie centric discussion board and post this article on November 24th, then I would have understood your feelings. But that is not what she did.

Posted: 22 Nov 18, 17:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for your post oligneisti, agree 100%.

master marathon runner user not visiting Queenzone.com
master marathon runner
Royalty: 1480 posts

Posted: 22 Nov 18, 17:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh for the day when the collaboration finishes and I can wash this Adam feller outta my Queen hair.
Seriously nothing personal, it's just that, with me, some things are sacred.

Master Marathon Runner

Posted: 22 Nov 18, 17:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry for all these posts, I can’t seem to figure out how to quote posts. Interesting discussion between anadamfan and Brancelli, unfortunately I cannot click on the links since I am at work but will check out later. I actually prefer Adam’s voice now than during his pre-idol, idol and FYE (first album) phase. I prefer how it sounds lower and richer. He is also more nuanced and subtle in his interpretation. I am not sure if he just chooses to no longer to sing as high with as many vocal runs or that he is no longer able to...it would be interesting to see once he has a new album out. I thought he sounded totally different on his latest solo album (the original high) versus his first two albums. Adam is like a chamaleon and I really like that in an artist. You are never sure what you are going to get until you listen to his new album.

Posted: 22 Nov 18, 17:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Master marathon runner: just out of curiosity, did you also feel the same about Paul Rodgers or it is just Adam. And have you gone to a QAL show and not enjoy it? I am just curious to hear from a Queen fan’s perspective. Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion whether one likes QAL or goes to a show or not...

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 22 Nov 18, 18:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SweetCaroline wrote:

I posted that Australia interview — not to big him up — God, I am so sick of hearing that crap from icy and others — but for the exact opposite purpose to show how very admiring and respectful Adam is of Freddie.

Adam has never said anything offensive about Freddie on or off the stage. I can’t believe that after 6 years there are still people bitching about the collaboration. If B and R had wanted a Freddie sound alike to tour with, it probably would have been Marc. Maybe they will still do that, but they wanted Adam for his stage presence, versatility, dependability, congeniality and, yes, for his very special and amazing voice.

Shame you aren't so respectful about Freddie then. Want me to find your post that Freddie had sex with every gay man on the planet? See, how thoughtless you can be about Freddie?
Yes, AL has been respectful most of the time. I still don't think it was AL's place to bring up Freddie's sexuality for example. If AL wants to discuss his own sexuality, go for it, I do wish he would leave Freddie's out of it.
See, you are bigging up AL in your post here again. And you seem to think you are speaking for Brian and Roger. Hardly a day goes by you don't manage to big AL up. Your post here is exactly how you do it.

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 22 Nov 18, 18:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Liliane wrote:

I don’t get the whole bigging up either? In case you might have missed it Icy, this is the QAL section so it is only natural to post positive articles, tweets, reviews...about QAL and Adam Lambert or to discuss QAL and Adam Lambert. You have plenty of sections on this board where you can talk and discuss Freddie. If you want to discuss Freddie here in relation to Adam or QAL, sure please go ahead. I don’t understand you getting mad about people posting about QAL and Adam on a QAL and Adam board. If anything, you are being off-topic, not Sweetcaroline. It just defies common sense to me. I get that Freddie is very important to you. And that to you, he is a legend, inspiring, talented...And I do agree with you about it. Freddie was really special. But it does not mean that the whole world has to agree with you, feel the way you do or act the way you want. Just so you understand, Adam is as inspiring, talented and special to us his fans as Freddie is to you. And if you don’t feel the same way about Adam, so be it. We’ll just have to agree to disagree. Please stop chastising or impose on SweetCaroline what she can or cannot post. It is frankly getting ridiculous.

Thanks for your permission *sarcasm*. Glamberts who come here mainly to discuss AL and try to ream me out, time and time again, usually not even bothering to discuss Freddie or Queen unless the stupid comparsions.
Where did I say everyone has to agree with me? Obviously no one here agrees with me, but I stand by my thoughts. A day or two without bigging AL up would be nice anytime, but especially at this time of year even for a day or two. It would be nice if Glamberts gave their views on Freddie as well. Freddie's and Queens legacy is in no danger of disappearing, this year in huge part due to the biopic.

Posted: 22 Nov 18, 18:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Liliane wrote:

Sorry for all these posts, I can’t seem to figure out how to quote posts. Interesting discussion between anadamfan and Brancelli, unfortunately I cannot click on the links since I am at work but will check out later. I actually prefer Adam’s voice now than during his pre-idol, idol and FYE (first album) phase. I prefer how it sounds lower and richer. He is also more nuanced and subtle in his interpretation. I am not sure if he just chooses to no longer to sing as high with as many vocal runs or that he is no longer able to...it would be interesting to see once he has a new album out. I thought he sounded totally different on his latest solo album (the original high) versus his first two albums. Adam is like a chamaleon and I really like that in an artist. You are never sure what you are going to get until you listen to his new album.

I'm pretty sure it's a choice he still does throw the odd silly high note in every now and then just not all the time like he used to. His lower register has developed and he does use it more than previously. The Original High was definitely a stylistic choice and he's said his new music won't be anything like that. I suspect it was to sound more current, the kind of breathy falsetto type singing everyone seems to be doing lately.

To use the quote function just move along to the right from the date/time stamp and hover the cursor, you should see little lines appear, the first is edit, second one is to reply and the third is to reply with original quote.

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 22 Nov 18, 18:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rockchic65 wrote:

Liliane wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's a choice he still does throw the odd silly high note in every now and then just not all the time like he used to. His lower register has developed and he does use it more than previously. The Original High was definitely a stylistic choice and he's said his new music won't be anything like that. I suspect it was to sound more current, the kind of breathy falsetto type singing everyone seems to be doing lately.

To use the quote function just move along to the right from the date/time stamp and hover the cursor, you should see little lines appear, the first is edit, second one is to reply and the third is to reply with original quote.

I'm relieved AL doesn't overdo it as much as he once did. Because sometimes it was...painful ;-).
He's learned to hold back, and from where and how I look at it, that's the biggest improvement of all.

Posted: 22 Nov 18, 18:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Iron Butterfly wrote:

I'm relieved AL doesn't overdo it as much as he once did. Because sometimes it was...painful ;-).
He's learned to hold back, and from where and how I look at it, that's the biggest improvement of all.

Yeah I actually really like how he sings now, I wouldn't mind the odd insane vocal run on his solo tour just for fun but not all the time on nearly every song, it loses it's wow factor if you do it all the time, maybe that's why he's toned it down a lot. Plus it can't be great for your voice to do that as much as he used to.

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 22 Nov 18, 18:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rockchic65 wrote:

Iron Butterfly wrote:

Yeah I actually really like how he sings now, I wouldn't mind the odd insane vocal run on his solo tour just for fun but not all the time on nearly every song, it loses it's wow factor if you do it all the time, maybe that's why he's toned it down a lot. Plus it can't be great for your voice to do that as much as he used to.

Exactly this.