Forums > Queen + Adam Lambert > Classic Rock: Why Adam is the perfect man for Queen

forum rss feed
Author

Sealion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 430 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Nov 18, 21:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rockchic65 wrote:

Iron Butterfly wrote:

Some say he can do whatever he wants during Q+AL concerts, if true, I don't think that would put pressure on him.
He's rigid at times. Almost of if he's acting.

He has a lot of freedom in how he chooses to sing and act on stage but due to the staging, lights and all the cued things that are happening he can't just wing it and play around at will he has to keep to the timing of how the show has been set out and rehearsed, i.e. they have to be stood in the right place for the lights and lasers etc and the cannons on the foot of the stage, Brian nearly ended up being blasted by one last year when he wasn't paying 100% attention. Also he has to keep to the timing and flow of the show or they wouldn't fit everything in.

In his own shows which don't have the same type of set up and where he has a backing band he can pretty much do what he wants, they will just wait while he talks to the audience, plays around or ad libs or whatever. I suppose they could do a Queen show that way if they wanted but they seem to like having it tightly rehearsed and more like a cross between a concert and a theater show.

Lambert comes from the theater world and you can see that in the shows and his performance style. I don’t think, it’s much different in his solo shows.

I only saw one of these. I would say, that QAL has in comparison at least twenty times the budget for a show. So no Laser-Show, robots, bicycles or glitter canons for Lambert. His stage his too small.
Similar was, that he also had video screens for a background.

In think QAL is actually more a mixture of songs, where the band is bound to a ‚script‘, and of songs, where they perform pretty free.

The band is made of excellent musicians. I saw on a few occasions , that they did a chorus again or left something out, when Lambert forgot to sing part of a song or Brian lost track in the middle of I want it all (as examples). They aren’t slaves of their show. That was only true for BoRhap, when Freddie was singing with Lambert. And to a lesser extent with the computer generated Laser Shows for Radio Gaga or songs with a video background.

That goes for Another One bites the Dust for instance. Still, they repeated the chorus and changed it up on the go, when the performance with Lady Gaga went out of the ordinary. They can change things up and do it. But everyone on stage is a real pro, that‘s why we usually don’t realize it.
The canons only ‚fire‘, when the technician push’s the right button by the way. I doubt, he would have blown up Brian. ;-)

To add: They don’t need to rehearse that much, because they are barely changing the setlist and play live without clicks. This way, the timing isn’t important, they do their things and the technicians push the right buttons, when the band is ready. Lambert or Brian can talk as long as they want.

Posted: 24 Nov 18, 21:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sealion wrote:

rockchic65 wrote:

Iron Butterfly wrote:

Some say he can do whatever he wants during Q+AL concerts, if true, I don't think that would put pressure on him.

He has a lot of freedom in how he chooses to sing and act on stage but due to the staging, lights and all the cued things that are happening he can't just wing it and play around at will he has to keep to the timing of how the show has been set out and rehearsed, i.e. they have to be stood in the right place for the lights and lasers etc and the cannons on the foot of the stage, Brian nearly ended up being blasted by one last year when he wasn't paying 100% attention. Also he has to keep to the timing and flow of the show or they wouldn't fit everything in.

In his own shows which don't have the same type of set up and where he has a backing band he can pretty much do what he wants, they will just wait while he talks to the audience, plays around or ad libs or whatever. I suppose they could do a Queen show that way if they wanted but they seem to like having it tightly rehearsed and more like a cross between a concert and a theater show.

Lambert comes from the theater world and you can see that in the shows and his performance style. I don’t think, it’s much different in his solo shows.

I only saw one of these. I would say, that QAL has in comparison at least twenty times the budget for a show. So no Laser-Show, robots, bicycles or glitter canons for Lambert. His stage his too small.

In think QAL is actually more a mixture of songs, where the band is bound to a ‚script‘, and of songs, where they perform free.

The band is made of excellent musicians. I saw on a few occasions , that they did a chorus again or left something out, when Lambert forgot to sing part of a song or Brian lost track in the middle of I want it all (as examples). They aren’t slaves of their show. That was only true for BoRhap, when Freddie was singing with Lambert. And to a lesser extent with the computer generated Laser Shows for Radio Gaga or songs with a video background.

That goes for Another One bites the Dust for instance. Still, they repeated the chorus and changed it up on the go, when the performance with Lady Gaga went out of the ordinary. They can change things up and do it. But everyone on stage is a real pro, that‘s why we usually don’t realize it.
The canons only ‚fire‘, when the technician push’s the right button by the way. I doubt, he would have blown up Brian. ;-)

To add: They don’t need to rehearse that much, because they are barely changing the setlist and play live without clicks. This way, the timing isn’t important, they do their things and the technicians push the right buttons, when the band is ready. Lambert or Brian can talk as long as they want.

rockchic65 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1735 posts

Posted: 24 Nov 18, 22:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sealion wrote:

In think QAL is actually more a mixture of songs, where the band is bound to a ‚script‘, and of songs, where they perform free.

They do a bit of playing around, talking before STL, things like that but during the songs they seem to pretty much stick to the timing for quite a few of them, at least from the vids I've seen, more on this last tour than previously I would say. I'm not sure if the guy operating the cannons can see the stage properly but the incident I was referring to was when Brian was doing a guitar solo part and was stood almost over a cannon when Adam suddenly moved in front of him and backed him up just before the cannon went off, not sure what happened they usually aren't near them at that point of the show.

I think on Adam's proper tours it's more structured but some of his live shows have been pretty free and easy especially when he did places like Del Mar County Fair and some other casual gigs where he just wore one set of clothes, usually casual and there was no staging or fancy lights etc.

Iron Butterfly user not visiting Queenzone.com
Iron Butterfly
Deity: 3597 posts

Posted: 24 Nov 18, 22:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sealion wrote:

rockchic65 wrote:

Iron Butterfly wrote:

In think QAL is actually more a mixture of songs, where the band is bound to a ‚script‘, and of songs, where they perform pretty free.

Gotta ask something to people who have seen AL solo concerts.
What is his banter like with the audience?
I do think Q+AL could be better if it was more about the music and less about the gimmicks. But honestly, if I can be, Brian and Roger are the reasons why I tune in.

Posted: 24 Nov 18, 22:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Iron Butterfly wrote:

I do think Q+AL could be better if it was more about the music and less about the gimmicks. But honestly, if I can be, Brian and Roger are the reasons why I tune in.

His banter is pretty much the same at each show, he does alter it a bit occasionally but for the most part it's pretty scripted. That's one part where I get the impression he's a bit less scripted in his own shows where he tends to chat to individual people in the audience and react to what they say more. There's only a couple of parts where he talks, his I'm no Freddie speech and the STL part with Brian from what I can recall. He throws an occasional comment in other parts but mostly the rest is music.

Just as an example I don't think this kind of banter would go down too well in a Queen show - http://youtu.be/D1vXsaz5KyI

Posted: 24 Nov 18, 22:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rockchic65 wrote:

They do a bit of playing around, talking before STL, things like that but during the songs they seem to pretty much stick to the timing for quite a few of them, at least from the vids I've seen, more on this last tour than previously I would say. I'm not sure if the guy operating the cannons can see the stage properly but the incident I was referring to was when Brian was doing a guitar solo part and was stood almost over a cannon when Adam suddenly moved in front of him and backed him up just before the cannon went off, not sure what happened they usually aren't near them at that point of the show.

Then the guy operating the cannons didn’t see or realize, that Brian was standing in the wrong place.

As for the songs: Yes, they CAN change them up. But it’s clear, they don’t WANT to.

And to be clear: Queen has always been that way. They structured a show, decided on how to present every song and stayed with it for the tour. The only difference was, that fans didn’t realize it, because there hadn’t been all these videos on YT and internet discussions. Even Freddies banter and jokes were the same every night. In this way, nothing has changed. Brian and Roger stayed true to the winning formula and didn’t change, how they approach a tour.

Posted: 24 Nov 18, 22:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sealion wrote:

rockchic65 wrote:

Then the guy operating the cannons didn’t see or realize, that Brian was standing in the wrong place.

As for the songs: Yes, they CAN change them up. But it’s clear, they don’t WANT to.

And to be clear: Queen has always been that way. They structured a show, decided on how to present every song and stayed with it for the tour. The only difference was, that fans didn’t realize it, because there hadn’t been all these videos on YT and internet discussions. Even Freddies banter and jokes were the same every night. In this way, nothing has changed. Brian and Roger stayed true to the winning formula and didn’t change, how they approach a tour.

Yeah I agree it's a choice, they like it to flow seamlessly as much as possible and before YT you would only know what went on at the shows you attended, now there's multiple video's of every single show. I don't really watch live streams and haven't seen that many vids just clips of my favourite songs, I'd rather be surprised when I see a live show.

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 24 Nov 18, 23:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rockchic65 wrote:

Iron Butterfly wrote:

His banter is pretty much the same at each show, he does alter it a bit occasionally but for the most part it's pretty scripted. That's one part where I get the impression he's a bit less scripted in his own shows where he tends to chat to individual people in the audience and react to what they say more. There's only a couple of parts where he talks, his I'm no Freddie speech and the STL part with Brian from what I can recall. He throws an occasional comment in other parts but mostly the rest is music.

Just as an example I don't think this kind of banter would go down too well in a Queen show - http://youtu.be/D1vXsaz5KyI

I know how he is during Q+AL shows. I wanted to know if he was more "free" to say and do things with his solo shows.
Yeah, I agree, that wouldn't go down well even at a Q+AL show XD

anadamfan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 80 posts

Posted: 24 Nov 18, 23:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Iron Butterfly wrote:

rockchic65 wrote:

I know how he is during Q+AL shows. I wanted to know if he was more "free" to say and do things with his solo shows.

It would! In Germany or Austria.
That was a play of words - and actually a really clever one.
For explanation: „Ich liebe dich“ means „I love you“. The problem is, that especially Americans have usually problems to pronounce the word „dich“. They simply can’t pronounce „ch“ and say instead „ck“. This way that sentence is very often pronounced exactly in the way Adam is saying it here. Without intention, of course.

Now, Adam had lived in Germany for 6 months a couple of years ago and his pronounciation of our language is really good. He had a teacher for that, when he played in the musical Hair and had to speak in German. This way, he knows of that joke.

Posted: 24 Nov 18, 23:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Iron Butterfly wrote:

In his solo shows he puts together the whole thing and hires the band and any dancer's etc himself so yeah he's free to do it whatever way he wants and the band just tend to follow his lead. He seems to do a mixture of properly choreographed shows as part of his main tour and then promo or smaller shows where he only has the band and not dancer's and all the fancy set up and they tend to be more free and easy from what I've seen on YouTube.

Posted: 24 Nov 18, 23:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

anadamfan wrote:

For explanation: „Ich liebe dich“ means „I love you“. The problem is, that especially Americans have usually problems to pronounce the word „dich“. They simply can’t pronounce „ch“ and say instead „ck“. This way that sentence is very often pronounced exactly in the way Adam is saying it here. Without intention, of course.

Now, Adam had lived in Germany for 6 months a couple of years ago and his pronounciation of our language is really good. He had a teacher for that, when he played in the musical Hair and had to speak in German. This way, he knows of that joke.

When I said it wouldn't go down well I was more meaning just stopping and messing around with the audience, chatting etc while the band wait around rather than what he actually said. I've seen him say "look at those tits you can sing good" during a Queen show so he has done that as part of the call and response part but they didn't have that on the last tour they had Freddie doing day o's instead.

Posted: 25 Nov 18, 00:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As some of you have already said, Adam tries to create a show. He is a perfectionist and uses everything from the music, stage, costumes, dancers, videos, lights ect to create the best possible entertainment.

He already did that as a teenager in Highschool. One of his teacher once said, that they did 3 musicals in the time he was there. Adam was very enthusiastic and took it in his hand: from singing to staging and more. He even created some probs like (false) flowers. And it were the most attractive shows, they had had at his former school: with all nights ending with standing ovations. According to that teacher, that barely ever happens at school plays.

Now about his own shows: Like with these musicals, they are Adam’s „babies“. And Adam goes by his script.he doesn’t talk much, compared to other artists. It’s usually a „Hello [city]! How are you? Welcome to the ... show!“ and somewhere in the middle a longer talk of 5-10 minutes. The content doesn’t really change from Show to show and he gives his fans a message and explains essentially, what the show is about. But while he’s doing so, he is interacting with the audience and you get different talks every show.

Here are two examples of shows, where Adam was interacting with a crowd in a not or less scripted way.

The Original High Tour (Munich 2016, Talk in the middle of the show)
http://youtu.be/qCwgfCRMSpY

Same show: Encore (that was different from all the other shows, because it was the last one. Note: usually he didn’t get that nuts and only played these 2 songs Trespassing and Another One bites the dust and introduced his band. Usual time about 10 minutes. ;) )
http://youtu.be/XgeZI4CdD4U

Queen & Adam (Hamburg 2015, All your love
http://youtu.be/a22ToA4-HPw

Posted: 25 Nov 18, 00:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rockchic65 wrote:

anadamfan wrote:

When I said it wouldn't go down well I was more meaning just stopping and messing around with the audience, chatting etc while the band wait around rather than what he actually said. I've seen him say "look at those tits you can sing good" during a Queen show so he has done that as part of the call and response part but they didn't have that on the last tour they had Freddie doing day o's instead.

Yes, I just posted one of the call and responses Adam did on the earlier QAL tour.
That pause in the show gives Adam’s band the chance to get a little rest. They can even leave the stage for a few minutes, if necessary. Adam does so, when they play an interlude or a longer guitar solo. Other than that, there is no intermission.

It’s clear, that this talk makes no sense in a Queen show.

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 25 Nov 18, 01:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rockchic65 wrote:

anadamfan wrote:

I see, I misunderstood a bit. Apologies.

SweetCaroline user not visiting Queenzone.com
SweetCaroline
Deity: 3903 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 18, 03:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nice tribute to Freddie on my Facebook tonight:

http://vimeo.com/298846155?ref=fb-share&1

Iron Butterfly

SweetCaroline

Posted: 25 Nov 18, 15:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The video was posted on Facebook because of the date. Both Roger and Brian talk about Freddie’s passing and Adam talks about keeping the torch burning for his music.

Good God, Icy, what will ever satisfy you. I’m sorry but no one is ever going to be able to perform a resurrection.

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 5470 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 18, 16:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SweetCaroline wrote:

I’m sorry but no one is ever going to be able to perform a resurrection.

Yet another despicable comment from you, using Fred's death to try to hurt another person.

"Queen is the only band in the world that can play so heavily that your nose bleeds, then offer a silk handkerchief to clean up with."
SweetCaroline

Posted: 25 Nov 18, 16:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It’s the truth. 27 years later no amount of praise is ever enough! And by the same token, no amount of criticism of Brian, Roger and Adam is ever enough to satisfy your outrage that they have carried on even though that was Freddie’s message: “carry on, carry on!”

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 5470 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 18, 16:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SweetCaroline wrote:

It’s the truth. 27 years later no amount of praise is ever enough! And by the same token, no amount of criticism of Brian, Roger and Adam is ever enough to satisfy your outrage that they have carried on even though that was Freddie’s message: “carry on, carry on!”

You're just babbling like an idiot now. But at least your true colours are on show for all to see.

"Queen is the only band in the world that can play so heavily that your nose bleeds, then offer a silk handkerchief to clean up with."