forum rss feed
Author

Iron Butterfly user not visiting Queenzone.com
Iron Butterfly
Deity: 3597 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Jan 19, 21:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

EMI2019 wrote:

Sure horses for courses but you can not get away from the fact that Lambert is pretty annoying with those high notes as his tongue hangs out like a demented lizard.
i turn my head away from the tv when that happened.

I wouldn't call it annoying how he used the high notes in Believe to use that as an example. I still think it was out of place.
Demented lizard...I think it's gross when he does that. I wish he'd tone that back or stop doing it. I don't know if he does it because he thinks it's sexy, but it's far from sexy, IMO.
And yes, to the two main Glamberts here, I know Freddie did it too ;-).

snifflese user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 936 posts

Posted: 11 Jan 19, 22:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The tongue pushed forward is a singing technique that is used to help hit the high notes. He doesn't do it for any other reason.

SweetCaroline user not visiting Queenzone.com
SweetCaroline
Deity: 3903 posts

Posted: 11 Jan 19, 22:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I posted a link a while ago (don’t have it now) from a vocal coach who was analyzing Adam’s singing. He explained that by extending his tongue it was a technique for relaxing the vocal cords. Maybe that is how he prevents the damage that so many other current vocalists have suffered?

I’ve been amazed at how he could sing so many difficult songs on a tour and not need surgery. Fingers crossed for the future!

Posted: 11 Jan 19, 22:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Posted May 5, 2015 The tongue against the teeth" thing depends on your tongue size. If your tongue is shorter you may want to let it float back in your mouth slightly on certain vowels and if it's longer you may want to shift the tip to on top of the teeth or even further out (check out Adam Labert's high notes!)

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 11 Jan 19, 22:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

snifflese wrote:

Posted May 5, 2015 The tongue against the teeth" thing depends on your tongue size. If your tongue is shorter you may want to let it float back in your mouth slightly on certain vowels and if it's longer you may want to shift the tip to on top of the teeth or even further out (check out Adam Labert's high notes!)

I thought the above poster was posting about when AL sticks his tounge out on purpose. Nothing to do with singing when AL does it like that.

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 11 Jan 19, 22:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I probably got it wrong, my bad. I get he uses it for the high notes, but when AL does it on purpose...cringe.
Speaking of his voice, I wonder if he will use it a different way for his solo music. A year or so ago, he said he would use his falsetto more.

SweetCaroline

Posted: 11 Jan 19, 23:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love this but too far away to see if he used his tongue to reach this really high note — Isle of Wight, 2016:

http://youtu.be/bc-AmpIVJWM

Posted: 12 Jan 19, 00:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Probably not a great idea as his falsetto is pretty weak. Since he has very rarely used it, he has trouble hitting it right. He is much more accurate when he uses his full voice or mixed voice. There was falsetto in his song, The Original High, and for his first few tour dates, he sang it with falsetto like the song was recorded. In short order he stopped that and sang it normally for him. Sounds much better anyway. Personally I am not a big fan of falsetto. Singers only use it because they can't hit the high note. I don't know why someone who could do it effortlessly would ever resort to falsetto. I think the powers that be wanted Adam to do what everyone else was doing as there is a lot of it in popular music right now, but sometimes it sounds like a strangled cat (Sam Smith comes to mind and that is what my husband called his singing when he heard one of Sam's songs with a lot of falsetto!!). Adam sounds much better when he goes for the note straight up and of course, it sounds a lot more powerful,nstead of as if the singer were gasping for air! Guess you can tell I don't much like falsetto!

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 12 Jan 19, 00:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

snifflese wrote:

Probably not a great idea as his falsetto is pretty weak. Since he has very rarely used it, he has trouble hitting it right. He is much more accurate when he uses his full voice or mixed voice. There was falsetto in his song, The Original High, and for his first few tour dates, he sang it with falsetto like the song was recorded. In short order he stopped that and sang it normally for him. Sounds much better anyway. Personally I am not a big fan of falsetto. Singers only use it because they can't hit the high note. I don't know why someone who could do it effortlessly would ever resort to falsetto. I think the powers that be wanted Adam to do what everyone else was doing as there is a lot of it in popular music right now, but sometimes it sounds like a strangled cat (Sam Smith comes to mind and that is what my husband called his singing when he heard one of Sam's songs with a lot of falsetto!!). Adam sounds much better when he goes for the note straight up and of course, it sounds a lot more powerful,nstead of as if the singer were gasping for air! Guess you can tell I don't much like falsetto!

I like falsetto. I guess I'm spoiled a bit by it by being a Queen fan.
I don't think people use it just because they can't hit high notes.
Strangled cat?! That's one way to put it. I really like how Sam uses it honestly.

SweetCaroline

Posted: 12 Jan 19, 00:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Right! Why use falsetto when you have the real thing! LOL

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 12 Jan 19, 00:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SweetCaroline wrote:

Right! Why use falsetto when you have the real thing! LOL

AL has used it in case you missed it. And he may use it again. Wonder what you will say then if he uses it on his upcoming music.

SweetCaroline

Posted: 12 Jan 19, 00:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don’t think Freddie used falsetto. He had a great vocal range.

SweetCaroline

Posted: 12 Jan 19, 00:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Adam used it sparingly in Music Again and TOH.

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 12 Jan 19, 01:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SweetCaroline wrote:

I don’t think Freddie used falsetto. He had a great vocal range.

Just goes to show what you know about Freddie. Not much.
Simply put, yes he used it.

Posted: 12 Jan 19, 01:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I also didn't think Freddie used much falsetto and belted in full voice. There was more falsetto later when he had some issues with his voice, but originally I thought it was also always in full voice. Maybe an expert knows, because now I am curious.

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 12 Jan 19, 01:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

snifflese wrote:

I also didn't think Freddie used much falsetto and belted in full voice. There was more falsetto later when he had some issues with his voice, but originally I thought it was also always in full voice. Maybe an expert knows, because now I am curious.

Saying he didn't use it much is different than saying a person thinks he never used it. It's very obvious when and how he did use it.
There are probably threads in the Queen sections that go into detail about it. No lie, some very good discussion here. Unfortunately I have gotta log out in a minute, otherwise I would look them up for you.
But yes, he used it.

Brancelli user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 158 posts

Posted: 12 Jan 19, 01:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Adam uses a bit of falsetto the studio version of Feeling Good. And Caroline, listen to “Don’t Try So Hard”. Great example of Freddie’s falsetto.

Brancelli user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 158 posts

Adam uses a bit of falsetto the studio version of Feeling Good. And Caroline, listen to “Don’t Try So Hard”. Great example of Freddie’s falsetto.

rockchic65 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1735 posts

snifflese wrote:

I'm with you on that, Adam doesn't need to use falsetto for the most part so I'm hoping when he said that it was just to avoid having to explain to everyone what he mean't if he used some other term, most people who don't know much about singing think all high notes are falsetto.

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 12 Jan 19, 02:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brancelli wrote:

I love Freddie vocals on DTSH. Very moving...it actually beats any high note by others at the same time. Late 80s and early 90s with Freddie being so ill and still managing to give it his all...
Absolutely amazing and incredible.
Sorry, not meaning to sound like I'm promoting Freddie, but I think you will understand.