Forums > Queen + Adam Lambert > adam lambert

forum rss feed
Author

SweetCaroline user is on Queenzone.com
SweetCaroline
Deity: 4173 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Jan 19, 03:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brancelli, that doesn’t sound like falsetto to me by Freddie, just his upper range. I don’t know what his full range was but on that song it sounds too good to be falsetto.

Iron Butterfly user not visiting Queenzone.com
Iron Butterfly
Deity: 3857 posts

Posted: 12 Jan 19, 03:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SweetCaroline wrote:

Brancelli, that doesn’t sound like falsetto to me by Freddie, just his upper range. I don’t know what his full range was but on that song it sounds too good to be falsetto.

What is falsetto to you? Genuine question.

Brancelli user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 165 posts

Posted: 12 Jan 19, 04:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SweetCaroline wrote:

Some of the high notes aren't falsetto . . . he hits a really strong mixed voice D5, but a lot of the phrases are.

"Lap of the God's...revisited" , "Nevermore" and "My Fairy King" (Roger Taylor's falsetto on display as well) are some other examples I just thought of. Shit, he's got a lot a great high notes that are falsetto in several songs. The A5 in "Under Pressure" is falsetto.

Posted: 12 Jan 19, 04:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Iron Butterfly wrote:

Brancelli wrote:

Adam uses a bit of falsetto the studio version of Feeling Good. And Caroline, listen to “Don’t Try So Hard”. Great example of Freddie’s falsetto.

I love Freddie vocals on DTSH. Very moving...it actually beats any high note by others at the same time. Late 80s and early 90s with Freddie being so ill and still managing to give it his all...
Absolutely amazing and incredible.
Sorry, not meaning to sound like I'm promoting Freddie, but I think you will understand.

Yeah, amazing some of his strongest vocals are on Innuendo. One of my favorite Queen albums.

Sorry, I didn't mean to steer this thread towards Freddie.

Posted: 12 Jan 19, 04:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SweetCaroline wrote:

I don’t think Freddie used falsetto. He had a great vocal range.

This genuinely might be dumbest comment I've read on this board.

rockchic65 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1950 posts

Posted: 12 Jan 19, 05:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brancelli wrote:

SweetCaroline wrote:

I think there's a lot of confusion around what falsetto is and people seem to assume it's used to sing high notes by people who have less range but obviously that's nowhere near all it's used for. I was going to mention Nevermore as a good example of Freddie's falsetto and you take my breath away is another.

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 12 Jan 19, 05:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brancelli wrote:

Iron Butterfly wrote:

Brancelli wrote:

Adam uses a bit of falsetto the studio version of Feeling Good. And Caroline, listen to “Don’t Try So Hard”. Great example of Freddie’s falsetto.

I love Freddie vocals on DTSH. Very moving...it actually beats any high note by others at the same time. Late 80s and early 90s with Freddie being so ill and still managing to give it his all...
Absolutely amazing and incredible.
Sorry, not meaning to sound like I'm promoting Freddie, but I think you will understand.

Yeah, amazing some of his strongest vocals are on Innuendo. One of my favorite Queen albums.

Sorry, I didn't mean to steer this thread towards Freddie.

Just in case you cop any crap for discussing Freddie in here, I will take the blame for it. It's pretty remarable what he did in his last couple of years, can't be denied by anyone.

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 12 Jan 19, 05:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rockchic65 wrote:

Brancelli wrote:

SweetCaroline wrote:

I think there's a lot of confusion around what falsetto is and people seem to assume it's used to sing high notes by people who have less range but obviously that's nowhere near all it's used for. I was going to mention Nevermore as a good example of Freddie's falsetto and you take my breath away is another.

With you on this.
I forgot for a bit that sweetcaroline doesn't like falsetto. Apparently she thinks it is men singing like girls. That's a comment she made on QOL when the discussion came up.
It might come back to bite her if AL uses it more.
Meant to quote Brancelli, sorry.

Posted: 12 Jan 19, 05:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Iron Butterfly wrote:

rockchic65 wrote:

Brancelli wrote:

SweetCaroline wrote:

With you on this.
I forgot for a bit that sweet doesn't like falsetto. Apparently she thinks it is men singing like girls.

I am curious to know if snifflese and/or caroline like Adam's renditions of Tracks of My Tears or My Conviction. Lots of falsetto.

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 12 Jan 19, 05:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brancelli wrote:

Iron Butterfly wrote:

rockchic65 wrote:

Brancelli wrote:

SweetCaroline wrote:

With you on this.
I forgot for a bit that sweet doesn't like falsetto. Apparently she thinks it is men singing like girls.

I am curious to know if snifflese and/or caroline like Adam's renditions of Tracks of My Tears or My Conviction. Lots of falsetto.

Sweetcaroline has said she likes it. The discussion came up on QOL actually. She thinks AL uses head voice and not falsetto.

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 12 Jan 19, 05:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Screenshot...
**Waits to be compared to Hitler and Trump again**

Attachment: 20191121295718008.png 158 KB
This has been downloaded 2 time(s).

Posted: 12 Jan 19, 05:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Iron Butterfly wrote:

Brancelli wrote:

Sweetcaroline has said she likes it. The discussion came up on QOL actually. She thinks AL uses head voice and not falsetto.

Adam does use head or full/mix a lot more than falsetto, before the original high he used very little falsetto and I personally don't particularly like when he does because it's definitely not his strong suit. He can do it fine when it's an odd word or phrase but to use it throughout a song like on some of the original high just doesn't work and certainly not live so unless he's really worked on it and perfected it I hope he doesn't go the falsetto route with his new music.

The end note on Tracks of My Tears is pure head voice but he did use a bit of falsetto on the earlier parts of the song.

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 12 Jan 19, 05:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rockchic65 wrote:

Iron Butterfly wrote:

Brancelli wrote:

Adam does use head or full/mix a lot more than falsetto, before the original high he used very little falsetto and I personally don't particularly like when he does because it's definitely not his strong suit. He can do it fine when it's an odd word or phrase but to use it throughout a song like on some of the original high just doesn't work and certainly not live so unless he's really worked on it and perfected it I hope he doesn't go the falsetto route with his new music.

The end note on Tracks of My Tears is pure head voice but he did use a bit of falsetto on the earlier parts of the song.

Oh I know. The fact is he has used it though.
He said about a year ago going for his falsetto ( something like that ), but knowing AL, he could have changed his mind and back since then. I'd laugh if he did use it after what sweetcaroline had to say about falsetto sounding like girls.

Posted: 12 Jan 19, 05:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Adam is a bit unusual in that his highest notes (A5, Bb5, B5) are head voice and not falsetto. Most male singers highest notes are falsetto. I don't know what Adam's highest falsetto note is, but I just listened to "My Conviction" and he hits a G5 at the end. I think he could get into the 6th octave if he used falsetto, but for some reason he doesn't. Maybe we'll get a C6 on the next album if he's gonna start utilizing falsetto more.

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 12 Jan 19, 06:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brancelli wrote:

Adam is a bit unusual in that his highest notes (A5, Bb5, B5) are head voice and not falsetto. Most male singers highest notes are falsetto. I don't know what Adam's highest falsetto note is, but I just listened to "My Conviction" and he hits a G5 at the end. I think he could get into the 6th octave if he used falsetto, but for some reason he doesn't. Maybe we'll get a C6 on the next album if he's gonna start utilizing falsetto more.

You know your stuff. It's so interesting. Thanks :-)

Posted: 12 Jan 19, 06:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Iron Butterfly wrote:

He said about a year ago going for his falsetto ( something like that ), but knowing AL, he could have changed his mind and back since then. I'd laugh if he did use it after what sweetcaroline had to say about falsetto sounding like girls.

Yeah I saw that tweet about falsetto at the time and thought please don't so I'm hoping he has changed his mind or didn't really mean falsetto. I don't think it sounds like a girl it's just weak with no power and sounds like your voice is about to cut out or crack at any second or can if it's not done right. Basically you have very little control at all when using falsetto and Adam very rarely using it means it's definitely not his strongest technique. Some singers are really good at it, Freddie was, Thom Yorke is good at it and Matt Bellamy uses it quite a lot and he's pretty good though it's still not what I prefer to listen to.

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 12 Jan 19, 06:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rockchic65 wrote:

Iron Butterfly wrote:

Yeah I saw that tweet about falsetto at the time and thought please don't so I'm hoping he has changed his mind or didn't really mean falsetto. I don't think it sounds like a girl it's just weak with no power and sounds like your voice is about to cut out or crack at any second or can if it's not done right. Basically you have very little control at all when using falsetto and Adam very rarely using it means it's definitely not his strongest technique. Some singers are really good at it, Freddie was, Thom Yorke is good at it and Matt Bellamy uses it quite a lot and he's pretty good though it's still not what I prefer to listen to.

I hope you won't take this a a dig about AL. Many people go on about AL's voice being powerful, so it does surprise me to a degree he doesn't use falsetto more than he actually does.
I like falsetto much of the time, but I'd hate for someone to damage their voice by over using it.
He's probably changed his mind about using it though.

Posted: 12 Jan 19, 06:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Iron Butterfly wrote:

I hope you won't take this a a dig about AL. Many people go on about AL's voice being powerful, so it does surprise me to a degree he doesn't use falsetto more than he actually does.
I like falsetto much of the time, but I'd hate for someone to damage their voice by over using it.
He's probably changed his mind about using it though.

Coming from a theater and more classical background you don't really use falsetto and the fact he can use head voice easily means he doesn't really need to use falsetto plus his full/mix voice can reach Bb5 so that's another reason he doesn't need it. I know he's used it stylistically in some songs for a more toned down breathy/fluttery sound but for high notes there really is no point for him to do it since he can hit them much easier and cleaner in other ways. Some baritone singers use a kind of reinforced falsetto to hit high notes with power but that's pretty damaging and again for Adam there'd be no point since being a high tenor he can hit them without it.

I guess it will depend on what sound he's decided on for the new album as to if he uses falsetto, if he goes more full on rock there'd be no point but if he's going for a more modern pop sound then yeah he probably will use it. My guess is it will be a mixture of all different styles but we'll see.

Posted: 12 Jan 19, 06:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Posted: 12 Jan 19, 06:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brancelli wrote:

Nah, I'm sure the Glamberts know this. I have to use a piano to verify the notes, but I can generally tell what the high ones are. Here's a G5 on piano so you can compare with last note in "My Conviction", which I personally believe to be falsetto.

Sorry, the video I was gonna post is actually G6. Can't find a G5, damn thought that would be easy.

Anyway, the reason I think Adam could hit 6th octave notes in falsetto is cause that G5 seemed kinda easy for him, didn't really push it to the limit.

I think "are" in the last sentence is falsetto but the end high note sounds head voice to me and yeah he warms up to G5 so it's not hard for him to hit those. I've never heard him do a 6th octave note, he may have live but I've not heard one. Since his full voice can go to Bb5 I'm sure he could hit a 6th octave note in falsetto if he tried.