Forums > Queen + Adam Lambert > adam lambert

forum rss feed
Author

Brancelli user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 165 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Jan 19, 06:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Since his full voice can go to Bb5 I'm sure he could hit a 6th octave note in falsetto if he tried.

I completely agree.

I think he has actually gotten to B5 in head voice. I could be wrong though. Yeah, ok I found it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CF37WqGgzE

runner_70 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2088 posts

Posted: 12 Jan 19, 09:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

His paperthin voice sounds like a lil girls voice. Absolutely powerless. Thats why the rocksongs sound so atrocious. He tries to hide the fact by doing vocal gymnastics but it just makes it worse and worse.

Miracle. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Miracle.
Deity: 2435 posts

Posted: 12 Jan 19, 09:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

High notes do not make a great singer.
Quite the opposite infact , Lambert has a sharp thin singing voice with no baritone to it.
Freddie had a much better range than Adam and that is why Freddie is regarded as the greatest male vocalist ever.

rockchic65 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1946 posts

Posted: 12 Jan 19, 09:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

EMI2019 wrote:

High notes do not make a great singer.
Quite the opposite infact , Lambert has a sharp thin singing voice with no baritone to it.
Freddie had a much better range than Adam and that is why Freddie is regarded as the greatest male vocalist ever.

High notes by themselves don't but the fact he can sing for two hours every night consistently while hitting high notes, no vocal strain, ends the tour with his voice sill in great shape and can sing in various styles does. He's a tenor but that doesn't mean he can't sing low notes just fine.

SweetCaroline user not visiting Queenzone.com
SweetCaroline
Deity: 4168 posts

Posted: 12 Jan 19, 09:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I listened to “My Conviction” again and am not convinced that is falsetto. He is singing in a comical style.

Regarding a paper thin voice, his voice is very rich sounding in “Come To Me, Bend To Me”:

http://youtu.be/eJroqxZFKuw

rockchic65 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1946 posts

Posted: 12 Jan 19, 09:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brancelli wrote:

Since his full voice can go to Bb5 I'm sure he could hit a 6th octave note in falsetto if he tried.

I completely agree.

I think he has actually gotten to B5 in head voice. I could be wrong though. Yeah, ok I found it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CF37WqGgzE

Yeah it sounds head or head dominant mix to me.

snifflese user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1098 posts

Posted: 12 Jan 19, 18:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I do very much like Tracks of my Tears. Adam changed up the song and used falsetto to show the emotion of the lyrics. While I can appreciate the vocal prowess shown in My Conviction, it really only works for me if I were sitting in the audience on Broadway taking in the Hair performance. It is not something I would have on replay. I only like falsetto if it is used more sparingly to change the vocal dynamics or to showcase a very emotional song like Broken Open. I love Adam's FYE album the best and one of my favs is Music Again. I love the use of that tiny bit of falsetto, for example. When it is overused, as it is now in popular music (and has been for a few years) and/or is constantly used to hit notes a singer cannot otherwise sing, I am not such a fan.

Adam uses falsetto sparingly. He talked about it years ago and said he was always surprised when people thought he was using falsetto because usually, he is not. It just isn't something he does a much as other singers. I would imagine it is because he can hit those notes full on and it sounds much better to me than that breathy, airy quality of falsetto. If it is for an ethereal effect, falsetto has a purpose, but to just throw it in, doesn't sound good to me. It is also the weakest part of his voice. Cassie is the voice expert on Adamtopia and that is per her opinion (and mine!). He threw Falsetto into The Original High, whereas in some of the unrecorded versions he did not, and most fans preferred it w/o falsetto. It was very noticeable when he toured singing that song and it was off when he hit the falsetto part. Say what you like about Adam's voice, but he is not usually off key. Cassie wrote about it and hoped he would go back to his normal way of singing that part and he did after a few shows. I imagine since he can hit very high notes w/o falsetto, he is not as used to singing like that. I suppose he could work on it, but I would much prefer he work on that lower register. That is where I see the most improvement since 2014 (and it can still improve!) when he started singing with Queen. That first Kiev performance left quite a bit to be desired with his support of his lower register.

Each tour I have seen with QAL it seems the lower register has improved. I imagine part of it is due to aging, as men's voices deepen over time, and part due to working on it. He trained for years with a vocal coach (including opera for at least a year) and took one along on a few of his first tours. I have no clue what he does now, but I imagine that is the part of his voice he pays attention to and practices. That lower register is much improved and allows him to sound more credible with a heavier rock song like SCC. He will never sound like Freddie who was a natural baritone and had a raspier voice, but I think Adam does much better with these kinds of songs in the QAL catalog than he used to. For me he shines on the ballads and the quirky songs like Killer Queen. I am always amazed at his diction since you can hear every word, which is especially important in some of those quirky songs. Too many singers nowadays are mumble mouths and I can't stand that. If I can't hear the lyric, I am not really interested. Songs tell a story and if I can't hear it, part of the allure of the song is lost for me. IMO Adam needs to keep working on that much improved lower register and not worry about the falsetto. I certainly don't think he should insert more of it into his new music.

I also favor the less is more school of thought regarding super high notes, as there were a few too many years ago, however I never found them shrieky which some here have mentioned. There was just too much of the vocal acrobatics. Using them judiciously makes much more of an impact. It is kind of his signature, so I think a few of them need to be inserted, especially in a few select songs. Under Pressure, for example, wouldn't sound nearly as impactful without that one really high note. Fans are waiting for the moment when he runs up the scale and hits that really high note and lets it fly. That would also be the case for WWTLF, which is my favorite song that he sings. Fans want those super high notes in this song. So, a more supported lower register, no more of the falsetto, and less vocal acrobatics are what I hope to hear this time around when I see QAL in August! (A few vocal acrobatics are hoped for too, but again used judiciously!!)

SweetCaroline user not visiting Queenzone.com
SweetCaroline
Deity: 4168 posts

Posted: 12 Jan 19, 18:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

snifflese, one of the outstanding things I noticed about Adam way back in his Idol days is his excellent diction. I, too, love being able to hear every word. It amazes me when he does that with the fast moving, heavy metal Stone Cold Crazy. The other artist I have always admired for her outstanding diction is Tina Turner!

Posted: 12 Jan 19, 18:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He is singing in a comical style.

FInally you realize it :)

Posted: 12 Jan 19, 19:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Your comments are always so enlightening to read! It has been a lovely, civil discussion until you arrived! Darn!!!

Posted: 12 Jan 19, 19:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

snifflese wrote:

Your comments are always so enlightening to read! It has been a lovely, civil discussion until you arrived! Darn!!!

You mean "discussion" about how great and powerful the assclown is?

Posted: 12 Jan 19, 21:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If we are regressing to grade school, I might say, "Takes one to know one!""

Posted: 12 Jan 19, 22:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lamebert is the definition of an assclown.

Posted: 12 Jan 19, 22:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As I said, takes one to know one!!

someonewholikesadam user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 811 posts

Posted: 12 Jan 19, 23:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Love, love, love

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVu_W63ejD4

someonewholikesadam user not visiting Queenzone.com