Forums > Queen + Adam Lambert > adam lambert

forum rss feed
Author

Miracle. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Miracle.
Deity: 2439 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Feb 19, 14:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lambert been with three record labels already in a very short while, to me it sounds like he cannot settle with any label or they got shot of him? He has not set the UK on fire with his solo material, infact he is terribly small over here, and more brand new acts remain bigger than him.

snifflese user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1110 posts

Posted: 02 Feb 19, 15:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It really doesn't matter how many labels he has been with. Actually, he is harder to market since he is a little different. He isn't your usual teenybopper, pop princess or rhap dude. He probably should be with a co that does AC or Classical and it would be much easier. That said it is 10 years since he was on Idol and he is going strong with QAL, his own music, more appearances on main stream TV and a part in a movie with one of the two principal songs. He is part of the Elvis 50th special and only pretty big names are on that show. Being a flash in the pan is not what you want to be to have a long career, slow and steady always wins the race! He is very wealthy and can pick and choose what he wants to do. Not a bad spot to be in at all. How many birand new names are no longer around after this 10 year period? Adam keeps his eye on the prize and is steadily moving up.

rockchic65 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1950 posts

Posted: 02 Feb 19, 16:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

QUEEN3 wrote:

Lambert been with three record labels already in a very short while, to me it sounds like he cannot settle with any label or they got shot of him? He has not set the UK on fire with his solo material, infact he is terribly small over here, and more brand new acts remain bigger than him.

He's been with two labels 19 which is part of RCA and then Warner that's it not that it matters and as I've previously said the UK is just one place not the be all end all to a musician. End of the day he'll release music however he chooses and people will either like it or they won't, me included, and it will stand or fail on it's own merits. He has plenty irons in the fire outside of music as well so I'm sure he'll be fine whatever he decides to do. I admire people who are sure of what they want and stick to their guns so if he left or was dropped from Warner because of creative differences I don't see a problem with that. I'm sure he'll have done it graciously whichever way it went, that's how he deals with things and it's worked well so far.

Posted: 02 Feb 19, 16:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Seems the new music news is being picked up by media but not much info as yet.

http://bit.ly/2sZSoTf

SweetCaroline user is on Queenzone.com
SweetCaroline
Deity: 4173 posts

Posted: 02 Feb 19, 17:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Adam is very versatile. Here is a 2015 appearance with Alan Carr Chatty Man — Bohemian Rhapsody:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eN1TTB0HN0M

Miracle.

Posted: 02 Feb 19, 17:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The test of time will tell if people still want Lambert around after Queen finish, because i honestly think it is Queen that is keeping his chin out of the water.
A solo artist has to be pretty powerful to survive the music industry alone and i think Lambert will drop out of peoples minds once Brian and Roger throw in the towel.
Cant wait to see what happens !

SweetCaroline

Posted: 02 Feb 19, 17:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I’m looking forward to Adam’s TV performance on the NBC Elvis special on February 17.

I do wish that QAL had accepted the invitation to open the Oscars show on February 24.

Iron Butterfly user not visiting Queenzone.com
Iron Butterfly
Deity: 3857 posts

Posted: 02 Feb 19, 18:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SweetCaroline wrote:

I’m looking forward to Adam’s TV performance on the NBC Elvis special on February 17.

I do wish that QAL had accepted the invitation to open the Oscars show on February 24.

Another cover, this time Elvis.
And again, I did say it was unlikely for Q+AL to perform at the Oscars. Or even Brian and Roger to perform there.

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 02 Feb 19, 18:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

QUEEN3 wrote:

The test of time will tell if people still want Lambert around after Queen finish, because i honestly think it is Queen that is keeping his chin out of the water.
A solo artist has to be pretty powerful to survive the music industry alone and i think Lambert will drop out of peoples minds once Brian and Roger throw in the towel.
Cant wait to see what happens !

Brian ad Roger gave him a big boost for sure. I doubt he could have lasted this long without them.

Miracle.

Posted: 02 Feb 19, 18:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah the thing that gets me annoyed about Lambert is he was handed fame and fortune in a flash by Brian who should know better as he and Queen struggled and worked there arses off for years to build up the band with the respectable reputation that they have today. Lambert will be nothing one day when this dream is over.

Posted: 02 Feb 19, 18:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, being on the Elvis show is quite a coup! There are some really big names singing there and they are all singing covers. Millions of people will see him on TV and it only helps for name recognition. He got a huge boost from the Kennedy Center Awards. There are way more people that know nothing about him and he needs to gain name recognition. You would be surprised how many people have no clue he fronts Queen now. That would lead one to think that many people don't know he is still even around. The Queen gig has only exposed him to certain segments of the population, not that big of a number in the US in the big scheme of things. When people see him and hear him on TV, they suddenly start looking at his old music and wondering why they haven't heard from him. He hasn't appeared on many TV shows since the infamous AMA's and my belief is he was so lucky that his career didn't end right there. That is the one biggest mistake of his career. Had he sung something well and had it not been controversial, he would have had a whole different trajectory. It is funny that that performance is the one time I have heard him that he sounded God awful.
Adam needs exposure right now to the general American public and something like the Elvis Show is perfect for that! I only see it as a plus, not that he is singing a cover again. YMMV! If he can get going now, through appearances like the two on TV and his part in the new movie, he may not be nearly as dependent on Queen. I still think no matter what, he would have been singing and employed, but Queen has helped him immensely and he is wealthy as a result. I do think he would not have faded into the woodwork w/o them and I think he will continue on, once they can no longer tour. This year has been good so far and I am very hopeful. Whoever his new management has been over the last 6 mos, they are doing an infinitely better job for him!!

Posted: 02 Feb 19, 19:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

snifflese wrote:

Well, being on the Elvis show is quite a coup! There are some really big names singing there and they are all singing covers. Millions of people will see him on TV and it only helps for name recognition. He got a huge boost from the Kennedy Center Awards. There are way more people that know nothing about him and he needs to gain name recognition. You would be surprised how many people have no clue he fronts Queen now. That would lead one to think that many people don't know he is still even around. The Queen gig has only exposed him to certain segments of the population, not that big of a number in the US in the big scheme of things. When people see him and hear him on TV, they suddenly start looking at his old music and wondering why they haven't heard from him. He hasn't appeared on many TV shows since the infamous AMA's and my belief is he was so lucky that his career didn't end right there. That is the one biggest mistake of his career. Had he sung something well and had it not been controversial, he would have had a whole different trajectory. It is funny that that performance is the one time I have heard him that he sounded God awful.
Adam needs exposure right now to the general American public and something like the Elvis Show is perfect for that! I only see it as a plus, not that he is singing a cover again. YMMV! If he can get going now, through appearances like the two on TV and his part in the new movie, he may not be nearly as dependent on Queen. I still think no matter what, he would have been singing and employed, but Queen has helped him immensely and he is wealthy as a result. I do think he would not have faded into the woodwork w/o them and I think he will continue on, once they can no longer tour. This year has been good so far and I am very hopeful. Whoever his new management has been over the last 6 mos, they are doing an infinitely better job for him!!

I agree with that, he's getting some good gigs recently and the Elvis one is great, plenty big names doing the show and the Kennedy Centre one really helped, loads of people found out about him who'd never heard of him or at least not since Idol.

The AMA thing did lose him some fans and he did get some shows he was supposed to appear on cancelled after it but he then got picked up on others so it was a bit swings & roundabouts. I think at this point he's proved he can be trusted since he's never done anything since that would give them cause to worry about having him on a show or network so I'm sure that helps with his credibility.

SweetCaroline

Posted: 02 Feb 19, 19:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not everyone has seen Adam in the QAL shows so that performance on the Oscars would have been good exposure. Not sure but I think I read that the producer of the Elvis special is the same guy who usually produces the Grammys.

The AMAs gave Adam lots of publicity but not the best kind.

Posted: 02 Feb 19, 19:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

QUEEN3 wrote:

Yeah the thing that gets me annoyed about Lambert is he was handed fame and fortune in a flash by Brian who should know better as he and Queen struggled and worked there arses off for years to build up the band with the respectable reputation that they have today. Lambert will be nothing one day when this dream is over.

He had already done a 10 month world tour before he did anything with Bri & Roger and even after doing one or two appearance with them he was still getting plenty work on his own, he didn't tour properly with them until 2014.

He had also worked his arse off for years in LA prior to going on Amidol, living in a cockroach infested apartment building (or shoebox) as he called it, trying to make a living from theater and other jobs, it's not like they found him on YT and just handed him the gig from nowhere. He's always been vocal about saying how grateful he is for the opportunity and how much he's learned from being with them as well.

I don't believe he'll have any problem still getting work afterwards though and if he hadn't been asked to work with them I still think he'd have got work but obviously not on the scale he has with them and he likely wouldn't have made the same money as he has with them either.

Posted: 02 Feb 19, 19:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Adam wasn't handed a thing, just like Rockchic stated. He had been working in the music business since he was 18: He first did a musical cruise, demo singing, plays like Wicked and The 10 Commandments, gigs singing for several high profile events (see him on Youtube singing some Jewish songs with opera stars), had his own band, and sang cabaret at a very popular spot in LA. He worked his butt off and was 27 before he ever showed up on Idol where Roger and Brian saw him and performed with him. You obviously have no clue about what he has done prior or since then. That kid works all the time and has many fires in the iron. Queen has given him an exceptional opportunity and he has worked hard and contributed to make sure it has been a highly successful collaboration. Singing and performing with Queen is not easy to do and most singers couldn't pull it off night in, night out at the lever Adam does. I really get tired of people assuming he waltzes in, is handed a bunch of money and he waltzes out. Obviously you know not of what you speak!!

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 02 Feb 19, 21:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SweetCaroline wrote:

Not everyone has seen Adam in the QAL shows so that performance on the Oscars would have been good exposure. Not sure but I think I read that the producer of the Elvis special is the same guy who usually produces the Grammys.

The AMAs gave Adam lots of publicity but not the best kind.

Good exposure for who? Queen doesn't need it, they are more popular now than they have been in ages.
AL did a publicity stunt at the AMAs, and it wasn't a good idea. I don't think he thought that same sex kiss through at all.

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 02 Feb 19, 21:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

snifflese wrote:

Snifflese, can I ask you a genuine question? Would you rather AL be known for his own music than the covers he does?

Posted: 02 Feb 19, 21:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To be honest, I don't really care. To me he is a singer, not a song writer. I don't think he is exceptionally good at writing songs, but for me, he doesn't need to be. I wish someone else could come up with something because when he does covers, I often like them much better. I also find his versionof covers to be much better than the original, like Girl Crush, Stay, WWTLF (and I know everyone here will hate me, but that is his best Queen song and I love his version - I am being honest with you). No, I don't care what he sings. I just love the voice!!

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 02 Feb 19, 21:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

snifflese wrote:

To be honest, I don't really care. To me he is a singer, not a song writer. I don't think he is exceptionally good at writing songs, but for me, he doesn't need to be. I wish someone else could come up with something because when he does covers, I often like them much better. I also find his versionof covers to be much better than the original, like Girl Crush, Stay, WWTLF (and I know everyone here will hate me, but that is his best Queen song and I love his version - I am being honest with you). No, I don't care what he sings. I just love the voice!!

Fair enough. Thanks for being honest. I'm thinking of all the covers I know he has done, and I think I would put Believe up there at the top of the list of other people's songs he has covered. Save Me remains my favorite of all the Queen songs he has done.
Time for me to be honest, and I likely will be hated for this ;-). I never could warm up to him singing WWTLF.

Posted: 02 Feb 19, 21:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I didn't get to finish this as my husband needed something. I think a singer is like a musician but he uses his voice. Adam just has a knack for changing a song. I love the way he sang Titanium, Tracks of my Tears. I always think it sounds beautiful. I do love some of his own music, but those never were the songs released. I wish someone could write a gorgeous ballad like the ones I have mentioned and he would release something like that. I love him singing the Prayer for example. I wouldn't mind a whole CD of covers. His voice just speaks to me. I thought f Cher's version of Believe was exquisite. Since I enjoy the covers so much, I don't care whole music it is. If it is an Adam song, all the better, but I am quite happy with his covers!! Adam is a singer and singers sing and as long as it sounds beautiful, I don't care who wrote it!