Forums > Queen + Adam Lambert > Why is Q+AL more successful than Q+PR?

forum rss feed
Author

anadamfan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 80 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Dec 18, 21:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That’s the question. Especially with all the hate, that the collaboration keeps getting in this forum. I don’t see that anywhere else, but here and on Facebook.

My friends from the music industry salute QAL. The reviews by the press are almost always very positive. The shows sell very well for years and fans keep coming back.

What is it, that makes Q+AL successful? The music is very similar to Q+PR.

Iron Butterfly user not visiting Queenzone.com
Iron Butterfly
Deity: 3597 posts

Posted: 11 Dec 18, 21:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Social media and better promontion.
In the early days of Q+PR social media was in it's infancy.
Q+AL has toured longer and more often than Q+PR.

( That said, and just to be clear, that doesn't mean I think Q+AL is better than Q+PR. )

EllaMc user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 3 posts

Posted: 12 Dec 18, 00:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

PR was quite good (even when he forgot the lyrics or stopped singing.) He certainly had the street cred that got him past a lot of fan resistance. However, it wasn't a great match. I think it was killing his voice by the end. I do think he was the type of musician that worked well, and I fear there won't be a load of new songs from this pairing (though I've been pleasantly surprised by a couple of the Queen-ed up AL songs I've heard.)

Beyond that, there's something -- I'm not sure -- something different and yet familiar in the AL combo. It does feel like the guys like him a lot, which is nice. I'm very new to Q+AL, and I resisted greatly, but then I heard a medley on someone else's car stereo. I was shocked to learn it was AL. I then went and listened -- really listened to recent Q+AL concerts. My heart warmed instantly. There's a spirit there. He's making the songs his own, but he's not changing original keys (at least not often) and he's staying faithful to much of the contours from the Freddie era. I honestly feel he's done a great job with a seriously rough situation. I feel like if 1) he wasn't from the US, 2) wasn't from a talent TV show and 3) had worked his way to this situation some other way (god knows how that would've happened -- it wouldn't and we wouldn't have live Queen shows now) he'd face far less resistance. His stage banter makes me cringe sometimes, but his singing rarely does. He colors his own color, but within the Queen lines - a nice situation.

Also as a fan from the 70s, I really love the way there's a whole new generation or two or three finding this music. Now if only they'd change up the shows a bit from night to night...

Anton3283 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 102 posts

Posted: 12 Dec 18, 04:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well maybe because he’s gay.

runner_70 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1659 posts

Posted: 12 Dec 18, 05:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

QPR was at least credible. In Europe it was successful on the same level. Americans always had bad taste so seeing QAL being a success does not surprise at all. Btw who gives a shit? Spice Girls sell out Wembley 5 times. Are they musical geniuses? No. Even though i would rather go seeing the Spice Girls instead of the annoying tool with the woman's screeching voice doing Queen Karaoke

Anton3283 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 102 posts

Posted: 12 Dec 18, 05:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He is a gay here is answer

rockchic65 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1745 posts

Posted: 12 Dec 18, 06:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Anton3283 wrote:

Why would him being gay make them more successful?

Posted: 12 Dec 18, 06:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

EllaMc wrote:

PR was quite good (even when he forgot the lyrics or stopped singing.) He certainly had the street cred that got him past a lot of fan resistance. However, it wasn't a great match. I think it was killing his voice by the end. I do think he was the type of musician that worked well, and I fear there won't be a load of new songs from this pairing (though I've been pleasantly surprised by a couple of the Queen-ed up AL songs I've heard.)

Beyond that, there's something -- I'm not sure -- something different and yet familiar in the AL combo. It does feel like the guys like him a lot, which is nice. I'm very new to Q+AL, and I resisted greatly, but then I heard a medley on someone else's car stereo. I was shocked to learn it was AL. I then went and listened -- really listened to recent Q+AL concerts. My heart warmed instantly. There's a spirit there. He's making the songs his own, but he's not changing original keys (at least not often) and he's staying faithful to much of the contours from the Freddie era. I honestly feel he's done a great job with a seriously rough situation. I feel like if 1) he wasn't from the US, 2) wasn't from a talent TV show and 3) had worked his way to this situation some other way (god knows how that would've happened -- it wouldn't and we wouldn't have live Queen shows now) he'd face far less resistance. His stage banter makes me cringe sometimes, but his singing rarely does. He colors his own color, but within the Queen lines - a nice situation.

Also as a fan from the 70s, I really love the way there's a whole new generation or two or three finding this music. Now if only they'd change up the shows a bit from night to night...

I'd agree pretty much with all of that. I also think the fact they had to mix quite a bit of Paul's music in the shows since there were various Queen songs his voice either wouldn't suit or he didn't have the range for probably made it too different from a Queen show for some unless they happened to be a Free/Bad Company fan as well. He has a great voice but it's more bluesy rock.

Posted: 12 Dec 18, 07:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Anyone calling themselves rockchic and preferring a westend Karaoke parrott to a legend like PR is delusional. So please gtfo

Posted: 12 Dec 18, 07:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

runner_70 wrote:

Anyone calling themselves rockchic and preferring a westend Karaoke parrott to a legend like PR is delusional. So please gtfo

So only your opinion counts? Your biased opinion at that, yeah right lol.

SpaceGrey user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 142 posts

Posted: 12 Dec 18, 07:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rockchic65 wrote:

Anton3283 wrote:

Because Freddie was gay and in Queen will be only gay singers because

Posted: 12 Dec 18, 07:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SpaceGrey wrote:

rockchic65 wrote:

Anton3283 wrote:

Not really seeing why the singer would need to be gay but the fact Adam is camp, flamboyant and theatrical may make people think he's closer in persona to Freddie than Paul was.

Posted: 12 Dec 18, 07:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As far as i a remember it was billed as "Queen plus PR" and as PR has an amazing back catalogue it was only logical to play his songs. It was expected. QAL is also billed as "plus" but as the annoying tool has nothing to offer besides musical crimes like Two Fux or Lucy Maylor try so sell this westend cabaret fronted by a tranny as full Queen show. Which is utterly ridiculous. QPR had equal if not more success in Europe. In cologne QPR played in front of 25000 ppl in the stadium there while QAL played in front of embarrassing 15000. In Europe noone gives a shit about lamberace. The ppl would come even if Kermit fronted them. Kermit would be a better choice than Lamebird

SweetCaroline user not visiting Queenzone.com
SweetCaroline
Deity: 3904 posts

Posted: 12 Dec 18, 07:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can’t find a link for it but I was just playing a video in a tweet showing a TV station interview with Neil Fairclough, bass player for QAL. He was describing how Adam works in rehearsals while learning something new, maybe holding back 50%. And how then he gives 100% in every performance and how their jaws drop open in awe with what he does on that stage! Final word from Neil: “he’s a good lad!”

Posted: 12 Dec 18, 07:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rockchic65 wrote:

SpaceGrey wrote:

rockchic65 wrote:

Anton3283 wrote:

Not really seeing why the singer would need to be gay but the fact Adam is camp, flamboyant and theatrical may make people think he's closer in persona to Freddie than Paul was.

Freddie never had rhe " look I am the gayest guy in town" attitude. He wasa musician. Lamebert is a karaoke twat

Posted: 12 Dec 18, 07:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

runner_70 wrote:

As far as i a remember it was billed as "Queen plus PR" and as PR has an amazing back catalogue it was only logical to play his songs. It was expected. QAL is also billed as "plus" but as the annoying tool has nothing to offer besides musical crimes like Two Fux or Lucy Maylor try so sell this westend cabaret fronted by a tranny as full Queen show. Which is utterly ridiculous. QPR had equal if not more success in Europe. In cologne QPR played in front of 25000 ppl in the stadium there while QAL played in front of embarrassing 15000. In Europe noone gives a shit about lamberace. The ppl would come even if Kermit fronted them. Kermit would be a better choice than Lamebird

I would think the majority of people going to a Queen + show are going because of loving Queen music, that's certainly why I go so I wouldn't want part of the set to be someone else's music. Like I said some may have liked Paul's stuff but to me it just seems odd mixing the two together. Equally I wouldn't want Adam's music mixed in I prefer it to be all Queen stuff. They offered to include more of Adam's music but he said no so he clearly thinks the same. And regardless what you think the QPR shows were 72% sold out to 94% for QAL.

Posted: 12 Dec 18, 07:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SweetCaroline wrote:

I can’t find a link for it but I was just playing a video in a tweet showing a TV station interview with Neil Fairclough, bass player for QAL. He was describing how Adam works in rehearsals while learning something new, maybe holding back 50%. And how then he gives 100% in every performance and how their jaws drop open in awe with what he does on that stage! Final word from Neil: “he’s a good lad!”

What you expect him to say? That he sucks which he does and Neil knows. He is getting his cheque for playing and as compensation for having to endure Lamebird screeching night after night

Posted: 12 Dec 18, 07:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

runner_70 wrote:

Freddie never had rhe " look I am the gayest guy in town" attitude. He wasa musician. Lamebert is a karaoke twat

In the 80's he dropped the more camp look but back in the 70's Freddie had his share of gay looking clothes and mannerisms, need I remind you of the red sequinned playsuit he wore in Tokyo, not to mention all the leotards etc.

Posted: 12 Dec 18, 07:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

runner_70 wrote:

What you expect him to say? That he sucks which he does and Neil knows. He is getting his cheque for playing and as compensation for having to endure Lamebird screeching night after night

It's very obvious when you see them all together that they like Adam despite what you like to think.

Posted: 12 Dec 18, 07:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

On stage you hardly see Neil as he is standing in the shadows. So how you know? Anyone with sense hates tools like Lamebird. But a good paycheque changes minds sometimes