Forums > Queen + Adam Lambert > Why is Q+AL more successful than Q+PR?

forum rss feed
Author

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 5627 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Dec 18, 16:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Because there are much more opportunities now for every idiot with a camera phone to photograph themselves at an "event" and thereby "prove" to the world via social media that they are happy successful people and not vacuous idiots. The same kind of people that forced Its Late and Spread Your Wings off the setlist because they're too fucking shallow to listen to anything except greatest hits.

... and breathe.

"Queen is the only band in the world that can play so heavily that your nose bleeds, then offer a silk handkerchief to clean up with."
SweetCaroline user not visiting Queenzone.com
SweetCaroline
Deity: 4168 posts

Posted: 12 Dec 18, 16:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

How did people FORCE It’s Late and Spread Your Wings off of the set list?

runner_70 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2088 posts

Posted: 12 Dec 18, 17:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SweetCaroline wrote:

The Glamtart asswhipes took selfies and went to get a beer while Lamebird was destroying those two songs. I cannot blame them. A QAL gig is a complete pissbreak for 2hr 15

SweetCaroline

Posted: 12 Dec 18, 17:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That’s BS. And which show were you at where you saw people going out for a beer?

When I was there the show moved so quickly it took your breath away and there was no time to leave your seat let alone get to a refreshment stand.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 20874 posts

Posted: 12 Dec 18, 18:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr Mercury wrote:

Paul originally wanted to do full shows with only Queen music in it. It was Brian and Roger's idea to include some of his.

Interesting.

Is there an interview where one of the guys states that?

Artists must pass on, but sometimes a mix of passion, good fortune, diligence, expertise, and meticulous labor can capture and restore some of the beauty they left behind.

http://www.queenlive.ca
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 20874 posts

Posted: 12 Dec 18, 18:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SweetCaroline wrote:

Easy. Because most bands don't want to look at blank faces not knowing the songs.

They dropped the tunes in 1980 for the same reason they dropped them now - because they're a hits band, not an albums band. At that time they realized their audience was changing, and came to the realization that endures until now, that most people don't know the album tracks.

Greatest Hits went 8x platinum in the US, while their next best selling albums are NOTW and The Game at 4x platinum each. In the UK, Greatest Hits went 20x platinum, while the next best selling album is Made In Heaven at 4x platinum.

This is why 90% of their setlist is hits. They're not going to play too many tunes that half the audience doesn't know.

Artists must pass on, but sometimes a mix of passion, good fortune, diligence, expertise, and meticulous labor can capture and restore some of the beauty they left behind.

http://www.queenlive.ca
SweetCaroline

Posted: 12 Dec 18, 19:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

But at the shows in NA where those two songs were included, they were performed beautifully and had an excellent response from the audience. So I don’t know why they were dropped and I was disappointed they were gone when they got to my venue near the end of July.

Iron Butterfly user not visiting Queenzone.com
Iron Butterfly
Deity: 3847 posts

Posted: 12 Dec 18, 19:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Real Wizard wrote:

SweetCaroline wrote:

Easy. Because most bands don't want to look at blank faces not knowing the songs.

They dropped the tunes in 1980 for the same reason they dropped them now - because they're a hits band, not an albums band. At that time they realized their audience was changing, and came to the realization that endures until now, that most people don't know the album tracks.

Greatest Hits went 8x platinum in the US, while their next best selling albums are NOTW and The Game at 4x platinum each. In the UK, Greatest Hits went 20x platinum, while the next best selling album is Made In Heaven at 4x platinum.

This is why 90% of their setlist is hits. They're not going to play too many tunes that half the audience doesn't know.

This is why I wish AL and casual music fans who go to Q+AL concerts fans would at least dig deeper in the Queen catalogue, because there are some hidden gems in there. I was shocked when IP and SYW was added, and I ended up liking it, and was sad when it was dropped so fast.

anadamfan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 93 posts

Posted: 12 Dec 18, 19:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Iron Butterfly wrote:

The Real Wizard wrote:

SweetCaroline wrote:

This is why I wish AL and casual music fans who go to Q+AL concerts fans would at least dig deeper in the Queen catalogue, because there are some hidden gems in there. I was shocked when IP and SYW was added, and I ended up liking it, and was sad when it was dropped so fast.

All Adam fans, that I know, LOVED the addition of SYW and IL. They were as disappointed by QAL dropping them than the Queen fans. You can read it on all the Adam forums. I’ve never heard anything else but disappointment about that.
We might not have known them before, but that doesn’t mean, we can appreciate these songs VERY fast and sing along. The people not appreciating them were casual concert goers.
Glamberts love to hear Adam sing -and these songs were absolutely gems in the set! No Glamberts runs for the restroom, when Adam sings a ballad. ;)

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 12 Dec 18, 20:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

anadamfan wrote:

Iron Butterfly wrote:

The Real Wizard wrote:

SweetCaroline wrote:

All Adam fans, that I know, LOVED the addition of SYW and IL. They were as disappointed by QAL dropping them than the Queen fans. You can read it on all the Adam forums. I’ve never heard anything else but disappointment about that.
We might not have known them before, but that doesn’t mean, we can appreciate these songs VERY fast and sing along. The people not appreciating them were casual concert goers.
Glamberts love to hear Adam sing -and these songs were absolutely gems in the set! No Glamberts runs for the restroom, when Adam sings a ballad. ;)

That's good to know.
Do AL fans run to bathroom when Brian does his guitar solo? Joking there, honest as it's a running joke that even Queen fans run for the restroom during the solo.

Posted: 12 Dec 18, 20:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Iron Butterfly wrote:

anadamfan wrote:

Iron Butterfly wrote:

The Real Wizard wrote:

SweetCaroline wrote:

That's good to know.
Do AL fans run to bathroom when Brian does his guitar solo? Joking there, honest as it's a running joke that even Queen fans run for the restroom during the solo.

I never run to a restroom during a show, if I can help it. And since I try to stand as close to the stage as possible, I won’t risk to loose my place. The only people leaving, that I remember, where middle aged men, who ran for a beer. ;)

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 12 Dec 18, 20:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

anadamfan wrote:

Iron Butterfly wrote:

anadamfan wrote:

Iron Butterfly wrote:

The Real Wizard wrote:

SweetCaroline wrote:

That's good to know.

I never run to a restroom during a show, if I can help it. And since I try to stand as close to the stage as possible, I won’t risk to loose my place. The only people leaving, that I remember, where middle aged men, who ran for a beer. ;)

Do you try to stand for the full show? That's something I don't think I could manage.
Men and their beer, right ;-).

Posted: 12 Dec 18, 21:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Iron Butterfly wrote:

anadamfan wrote:

Iron Butterfly wrote:

anadamfan wrote:

Iron Butterfly wrote:

The Real Wizard wrote:

SweetCaroline wrote:

That's good to know.

Do you try to stand for the full show? That's something I don't think I could manage.

I usually buy a standing ticket, so yes, I stand for the whole show and more. I always try to get to a venue around 5 pm. There I meet up with friends or other fans and wait for the doors to open. Then I choose a nice spot to stand. Depending on the artist, you can even get to the front. I managed to do that at my last QAL show. The doors opened about two hours before the concert. Then I had to wait on that spot, where an older lady and some very young Brian fangirls were always pushing from behind. My friend and I would have never made it back, had we left.

But it’s all worth it! I had an incredible experience! I even managed to get a handshake from Adam and was only about 2-3 meters away from the band for long stretches of the concert, while I had a great view. :)

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 12 Dec 18, 21:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

anadamfan wrote:

Iron Butterfly wrote:

anadamfan wrote:

Iron Butterfly wrote:

anadamfan wrote:

Iron Butterfly wrote:

The Real Wizard wrote:

SweetCaroline wrote:

That's good to know.

I usually buy a standing ticket, so yes, I stand for the whole show and more. I always try to get to a venue around 5 pm. There I meet up with friends or other fans and wait for the doors to open. Then I choose a nice spot to stand. Depending on the artist, you can even get to the front. I managed to do that at my last QAL show. The doors opened about two hours before the concert. Then I had to wait on that spot, where an older lady and some very young Brian fangirls were always pushing from behind. My friend and I would have never made it back, had we left.

But it’s all worth it! I had an incredible experience! I even managed to get a handshake from Adam and was only about 2-3 meters away from the band for long stretches of the concert, while I had a great view. :)

That's impressive. I'm glad you had an incredible experience.Happy for you.

Mr Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
Mr Mercury
Deity: 4685 posts

Posted: 12 Dec 18, 21:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Real Wizard wrote:

Mr Mercury wrote:

Paul originally wanted to do full shows with only Queen music in it. It was Brian and Roger's idea to include some of his.

Interesting.

Is there an interview where one of the guys states that?

It was in an interview Paul did with Classic Rock magazine some years ago. I did post a link at the time when the section was called Queen + Paul Rodgers

I will try to have a look and see if I can find it again

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
Mr Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
Mr Mercury
Deity: 4685 posts

Posted: 12 Dec 18, 21:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Here you go Real Wizard. I slightly misquoted Paul's quote. And it was in a magazine called Powerplay not Classic Rock

http://www.queenzone.com/forums/1005380/paul-talking-about-the-last-tour-with-queen.aspx

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."

Posted: 12 Dec 18, 21:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Posted: 12 Dec 18, 21:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Iron Butterfly wrote:

anadamfan wrote:

Iron Butterfly wrote:

anadamfan wrote:

Iron Butterfly wrote:

anadamfan wrote:

Iron Butterfly wrote:

The Real Wizard wrote:

SweetCaroline wrote:

That's good to know.

That's impressive. I'm glad you had an incredible experience.Happy for you.

Thanks! It really was one of the best concerts I‘ve seen so far! The visuals and the sound were outstanding! The band has gelled so well and they had as much fun as we fans.

And the companionship between fans was so great! It’s unusual, that there are so many different kinds of fans, waiting very early. There are all these older rock guys (and a few women), then all the younger fans in the twenties and thirties. All sitting and standing there for hours. (I mean, I had been there rather late. Some Glamberts had been there since 6am.) I talked to many fans in front of and in the venue. In front of me were two male Queen fans in their 60s, who travelled 8 hours to the venue. They told us, that they do one concert at every tour since 1975. And every time one of them buys a T-Shirt and wears it at the next concert. :)
Behind us in the venue we’re these two very young Brian fans, of about 20 years. I‘m still laughing about the girl. It was so funny: When Brian‘s guitar tech placed his guitars beside the catwalk to the B-stage in front of us, she said out of pure joy: „I want to lick the strings!!“ My friend and I exchanged a disgusted look, but smiled away. Believe me: That girl was screaming very wildly, everytime Brian came close.
At some time it really got annoying, because my ears kept ringing. :D

All the fighting, that you can read on this forum, simply didn‘t exist at the concerts, I attended. It’s such a great coming together of all kinds of fans! The Queen fans are happily giving high fives to Adam. The Glamberts are wholeheartedly singing Love of my Life with Brian.

runner_70 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2088 posts

Posted: 12 Dec 18, 23:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

....then there are those who are real queen fans and hate this cabaret act. The better option than seeing those two clowns embarrassing themselves

rockchic65 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1946 posts

Posted: 12 Dec 18, 23:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And then there's runner who lives in some alternate universe where reality isn't allowed in.