Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > 'Bohemian Rhapsody' has now broken $750M at global box office

forum rss feed
Author

Golden Salmon user not visiting Queenzone.com
OwO

Bohemian: 518 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Jan 19, 16:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SOURCE

Bohemian Rhapsody has now broken $750M at global #boxoffice without any release in China. How incredible is that?

Here are recent hits w/o their China grosses:

$751M #BohemianRhapsody
$740M #ThorRagnarok
$732M #WonderWoman
$687M #Aquaman
$611M #MissionImpossibleFallout
$583M #Venom

This is crazy. It's not just the highest grossing (musical?) biopic ever, but it's also beating all these cape flicks that people watch en masse.

Queen is as popular or more than ever. Bring on the anthologies already!

Just kidding, let's just re-release all the Greatest Hits albums >:-(

VanP user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 5 posts

Posted: 11 Jan 19, 17:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That really is incredible.

I read where one of the more positive critics said that it may reach $100 in spite of the other negative reviews.
Poor guy, not even close.
Releasing the sing-along version in 1300 theatres is brilliant move. Hoping to see it reach $1 billion.

does anyone else think it's going digital too soon? it seems like there is so much more theatre potential.

SweetCaroline user not visiting Queenzone.com
SweetCaroline
Deity: 3641 posts

Posted: 11 Jan 19, 18:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow, after all of the early setbacks, this success is really something!

bucsateflon user not visiting Queenzone.com
bucsateflon
Bohemian: 734 posts

Posted: 11 Jan 19, 19:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Surprising if you are an american... Queen is more popular over the entire world than any other band/artist ever is these days.
Some are popular in US and some in Asia and some in Europe, but Queen is all over these places, plus Commonwealth and former colonies. Queen makes money even in Somalia.

Fuckers
NeverTooLate user not visiting Queenzone.com
NeverTooLate
Champion: 55 posts

Posted: 11 Jan 19, 19:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm brand new here.

This is going to sound weird, but growing up in the 70's in the U.S., I didn't follow Queen. I liked much of their music but I never dove into the group themselves to learn who each member was. Same for 1980s, 90s, and I was living in San Francisco during the '80 and 90's! I didn't really get interested in many music groups so it wasn't only Queen, but it seems so strange to me now.

So now, in my late 50s, I've been devouring all the info I can about Freddie, watching various documentaries, reading whatever I can, reading books.

I knew ahead of time that BohRap was fiction on the plotlines in many scenes, and that annoyed me, but the music is what ultimately carries the film. Rami did well but he wasn't not really a dead ringer for Freddie, unlike Gwilym and Joe for Brian and John. Those 2 were just absolutely perfection in their look.

I find myself feeling so sad when I see Freddie in documentaries. I'm thankful those have been made, of course, but losing his talent and genius was such a waste and the tragedy of him getting AIDS with all the suffering that imposed, just really tragic and has reverberated for the last 27 years.

TRS-Romania user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 673 posts

Posted: 11 Jan 19, 20:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Also have a look at the Channel5 dramatised documentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssgapPLhWbY&list=PL7xj0E51UaaiHGPT10Bmrt-xnx3KKStbR&ab_channel=AQueenOfMagic

The actor that plays Freddie is way much closer to how Freddie spoke/acted/moved than Rami Malek did ...

NeverTooLate user not visiting Queenzone.com
NeverTooLate
Champion: 55 posts

Posted: 11 Jan 19, 21:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I saw that documentary few months ago and watched it again several weeks ago. That actor looked a lot like Freddie, except for the mustache falling to the wayside at one point. ;)

stevelondon20 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 754 posts

Posted: 11 Jan 19, 21:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John Blunt

Golden Salmon user not visiting Queenzone.com
OwO

Bohemian: 518 posts

Posted: 11 Jan 19, 21:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

NeverTooLate wrote:

I'm brand new here.

Welcome! Have a great time here :-)

VanP user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 5 posts

Posted: 11 Jan 19, 22:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That really is incredible.

I read where one of the more positive critics said that it may reach $100 in spite of the other negative reviews.
Poor guy, not even close.
Releasing the sing-along version in 1300 theatres is brilliant move. Hoping to see it reach $1 billion.

does anyone else think it's going digital too soon? it seems like there is so much more theatre potential.

runner_70 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1577 posts

Posted: 12 Jan 19, 09:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SHit sells as usual

jim. user not visiting Queenzone.com
jim.
Royalty: 1960 posts

Posted: 12 Jan 19, 09:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just goes to show that the world truly misses Freddie fronting Queen.
He will always be regarded as the "greatest" rock singer ever!

SweetCaroline

Posted: 12 Jan 19, 18:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

“@DrBrianMay One of the great hard-to-spot cameos in our movie - the one and only Adam Lambert ! Thanks ! Bri”

http://www.instagram.com/p/Bsiv8udBpQZ/?utm_source=ig_twitter_share&igshid=1stqk2tkjak8q

runner_70 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1577 posts

Posted: 12 Jan 19, 19:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SweetCaroline wrote:

“@DrBrianMay One of the great hard-to-spot cameos in our movie - the one and only Adam Lambert ! Thanks ! Bri”

http://www.instagram.com/p/Bsiv8udBpQZ/?utm_source=ig_twitter_share&igshid=1stqk2tkjak8q

You surely want him to get an oscar nomination for that performance right? He was the best actor in the movie as he is the best singer ever........not....

Iron Butterfly user not visiting Queenzone.com
Iron Butterfly
Deity: 3476 posts

Posted: 12 Jan 19, 20:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

runner_70 wrote:

SweetCaroline wrote:

You surely want him to get an oscar nomination for that performance right? He was the best actor in the movie as he is the best singer ever........not....

Maybe she is implying that AL had so much to do with the success of the biopic by posting about the cameo in this thread. LOL

FunLovinCriminal user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 150 posts

Posted: 12 Jan 19, 21:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fantastic! Just great! What if it "breaks" a billion Dollars? Will the Oscars-Statues then be re-modeled to have them look like "the one and only Adam Lambert"?

MusicFan15 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 185 posts

Posted: 12 Jan 19, 22:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've checked and found out that Bohemian Rhapsody is the best selling film of 2018 not to be a sequel or part of a franchise. It could increase this margin by quite a bit in the upcoming weeks. So it could make a billion dollars in the box office but I wouldn't get your hopes up. Don't get me wrong, I would love for it to happen but seeing now it's almost available on DVD, Blu-ray and digital downloads it seems unlikely.

Well I'm just 17 and all I wanna do is disappear

Do you know what I mean there's a lot of space between my ears

The way that I touch don't feel nothin'
Iron Butterfly user not visiting Queenzone.com
Iron Butterfly
Deity: 3476 posts

Posted: 12 Jan 19, 22:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FunLovinCriminal wrote:

Fantastic! Just great! What if it "breaks" a billion Dollars? Will the Oscars-Statues then be re-modeled to have them look like "the one and only Adam Lambert"?

Don't give sweetcaroline or Brian any ideas! :-O
xD

FunLovinCriminal user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 150 posts

Posted: 13 Jan 19, 00:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Unbelievable how much money is being made with a movie. I fear that many more bands will follow Queen's lead. Since most of them don't make much money from record sales anymore, they're probably quite happy to produce a so called "bio-pic". Sting vs Andy and Stewart in "Don't Stand So Close To Me", Gilmour vs Waters in "Us & Them“ and so forth.

The question remains: What are Jim Beach, May and Taylor doing with all their money? Can people never have a sense of enough is enough?

SweetCaroline