Forums > Queen + Adam Lambert > Adam Lambert — Part 2

forum rss feed
Author

PrimeJiveUSA user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 519 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Feb 19, 17:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

One thing is for certain...AL has been the best thing to happen for Queen in the States when it comes to concert attendance since Freddie died.

I believe many of the QPR shows were less than half full.

Posted: 13 Feb 19, 18:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Overall...the best thing to happen for Queen's overall popularity worldwide since Freddie's death is undoubtedly the movie.

Iron Butterfly user not visiting Queenzone.com
Iron Butterfly
Deity: 3857 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 19, 18:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Kuijpy wrote:

I hope you will die soon SweetCaroline!

I will be the first to say this... sweetcaroline and I have many differences about how we feel about AL and Q+AL. Even so, I wouldn't not be posting about suicide and hoping she dies soon...that's pure evil coming from you. Leave her alone, or at least knock it off with your disgusting crap.

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 13 Feb 19, 18:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

PrimeJiveUSA wrote:

Overall...the best thing to happen for Queen's overall popularity worldwide since Freddie's death is undoubtedly the movie.

Don't forget 1992 and 1995. Queen had a resurgence in popularity then too. I'd actually put that above the biopic.i don't just mean money wise, but the music was out there, selling, being used in film, tv etc.
Let's see
Freddie Tribute and Wanye's World
Made In Heaven.
That managed to get Queen a whole new generation of fans. The biopic is what is doing it these days.

SweetCaroline user is on Queenzone.com
SweetCaroline
Deity: 4173 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 19, 18:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Queen music has always been with us. Just because I am a fan of Adam doesn’t mean I wasn’t aware of it before. Like his family, I was thrilled at that Idol finale when Kris and Adam and the rest of the contestants sang WATC with Brisn and Roger. It was an exciting surprise. Most iconic artists have one or maybe two songs that they are known for worldwide, but the Queen band has so many you can’t count them on two hands.

The best thing about the movie is definitely the music and they did a very good job of inserting each song in the appropriate scene. Despite its timeline flaws, the movie works because of the music.

And despite the criticism from the people who don’t think Adam is the right man to tour, the shows are loved and successful because of the music.

I recommend both — the movie and the live stage shows — not because of Rami or Adam — but because of the spectacular and magnificent music!

I’m reading that some people have seen the movie 6 times (I’ve seen it 3 times). So what is wrong with the people who call it trash and refuse to see it? Are they afraid they might like it after all?

Posted: 13 Feb 19, 20:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@Icy

Yes...the mid90's was a comparable resurgence.

I guess what makes this movie resurgence so spectacular is how LONG it's now been since Freddie died.

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 13 Feb 19, 21:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

PrimeJiveUSA wrote:

@Icy

Yes...the mid90's was a comparable resurgence.

I guess what makes this movie resurgence so spectacular is how LONG it's now been since Freddie died.

True, it also proves to me how beloved Freddie band Queen truly are after all this time. The music never went away.

SweetCaroline

snifflese user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1110 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 19, 22:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Gaga is one of my fav songs and it gives me chills when I see the audience interaction with the band, whether it be Freddie or Adam. It was so cool to be in an audience of thousands and have everybody responding that way to the music. Are there any other songs, Queen or otherwise, where there is a certain response by the audience like the Gaga thing? Don't laugh as I really don't know Sweet Caroline being sung at the Red Sox game at the bottom of the 8th inning is comparable, but not really the same! Queen music just touches the inner fibre of your being like no other music.

SweetCaroline

Posted: 14 Feb 19, 00:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

One of their best collaborations — Love Kills:

http://youtu.be/HIKUFwbK40Q

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 14 Feb 19, 00:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

snifflese wrote:

Gaga is one of my fav songs and it gives me chills when I see the audience interaction with the band, whether it be Freddie or Adam. It was so cool to be in an audience of thousands and have everybody responding that way to the music. Are there any other songs, Queen or otherwise, where there is a certain response by the audience like the Gaga thing? Don't laugh as I really don't know Sweet Caroline being sung at the Red Sox game at the bottom of the 8th inning is comparable, but not really the same! Queen music just touches the inner fibre of your being like no other music.

Fans in South America sang along with Love Of My Life, not sure if it's still up on YouTube. That was very moving. Still is, I get goosebumps every time.
Not sure if I should mention this here, but George Michael singing Somebody To Love at the Freddie Tribute...wow. I think it was great how the crowd sang the "love" part.

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 14 Feb 19, 00:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think you misread her post, Icy. The point was that Freddie wrote that music and had that interaction in that way with the audience. Now Freddie is no longer here, but that same interaction still takes place because of Freddie. He so touched lives that someone else can sing it and folks still respond in the way they did for Freddie. Freddie lives through the music.

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 14 Feb 19, 01:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

snifflese wrote:

I think you misread her post, Icy. The point was that Freddie wrote that music and had that interaction in that way with the audience. Now Freddie is no longer here, but that same interaction still takes place because of Freddie. He so touched lives that someone else can sing it and folks still respond in the way they did for Freddie. Freddie lives through the music.

Freddie was more natural than AL could ever hope to be onstage. Even from that clip it was as if AL was playing a part, IMO.
I wouldn't call what Freddie did and AL does the same at all. Yes, the music is living on, and so is Freddie's legacy, but it didn't and doesn't need AL to be the one to bring it back, simply because it has never went away.

Posted: 14 Feb 19, 02:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Icy, you sound so resentful towards Adam for no good reason. Freddie isn't here to sing that song and it has gone away if no one is singing Gaga and continuing the tradition. Adam brought it back because he sings for QAL and that is one of their signature songs. I have never seen Freddie in concert singing this live, so I have no comparison in my mind. Adam does an amazing job with it and moved the audience to respond in the way they always had. You could just feel the love in the audience when this song is performed. I would say that it was a job well done. Adam isn't playing a part. He isn't Freddie, doesn't need to be Freddie and doesn't want to be Freddie and he carries this off being Adam, who most people who go to the concert are very pleased with. The concerts would not be sold out already if people didn't like the way Adam sang with Queen. Just playing the music with an average singer/frontman will not guarantee a full house just because it is Queen's music. PR didn't sell shows out and had pretty mediocre reviews. There was a reason they quit touring. It is a full house now at the QAL concerts because Brian, Roger, and Adam put on a kick ass show. Too many people go to multiple shows during multiple tours and they are not thinking, "Wow, this isn't Freddie" like you. They go because they love the show in its present configuration. People don't pay the kind of money it costs for tickets to attend a concert they don't really enjoy. It just doesn't work that way. You have to conclude that Adam does a great job and people are happy to watch him perform with Queen. Everyone I have talked to in person who was at a QAL show has been effusive about the performance of Roger, Brian and Adam. I haven't talked to one person at any of the shows who didn't think it was awesome. I know you don't want to give Adam any credit, but they wouldn't be selling out with any other singer, IMO.

SweetCaroline

Posted: 14 Feb 19, 03:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There are people who think by watching the trailer of the Bohemian Rhapsody movie, they can judge the whole movie and there are people who think by watching a YouTube clip of a QAL concert, they can judge the whole show as if they are physically there in that arena or outdoor venue surrounded by the magic of the spectacular sound and lights!

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 14 Feb 19, 03:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

snifflese wrote:

Icy, you sound so resentful towards Adam for no good reason. Freddie isn't here to sing that song and it has gone away if no one is singing Gaga and continuing the tradition. Adam brought it back because he sings for QAL and that is one of their signature songs. I have never seen Freddie in concert singing this live, so I have no comparison in my mind. Adam does an amazing job with it and moved the audience to respond in the way they always had. You could just feel the love in the audience when this song is performed. I would say that it was a job well done. Adam isn't playing a part. He isn't Freddie, doesn't need to be Freddie and doesn't want to be Freddie and he carries this off being Adam, who most people who go to the concert are very pleased with. The concerts would not be sold out already if people didn't like the way Adam sang with Queen. Just playing the music with an average singer/frontman will not guarantee a full house just because it is Queen's music. PR didn't sell shows out and had pretty mediocre reviews. There was a reason they quit touring. It is a full house now at the QAL concerts because Brian, Roger, and Adam put on a kick ass show. Too many people go to multiple shows during multiple tours and they are not thinking, "Wow, this isn't Freddie" like you. They go because they love the show in its present configuration. People don't pay the kind of money it costs for tickets to attend a concert they don't really enjoy. It just doesn't work that way. You have to conclude that Adam does a great job and people are happy to watch him perform with Queen. Everyone I have talked to in person who was at a QAL show has been effusive about the performance of Roger, Brian and Adam. I haven't talked to one person at any of the shows who didn't think it was awesome. I know you don't want to give Adam any credit, but they wouldn't be selling out with any other singer, IMO.

I'm not as resentful as I once was about Q+AL. But I'm never going to like everything to do with it, but on the flip side I'm never going to hate everything eithier.
I'm aware Freddie isn't here to sing the songs. Fact of the matter is that the music has never died out, for years before Q+AL began, the music was still being used on TV, film, it was still being sold and played. It was that way even before Q+PR began.
I personally think and I know this to be true that many Queen fans go see Q+AL show/s because they want to see and hear Brian and Roger play the music. That and the power of Queen's music and that's what I've been told why some people go. And if some people don't go, hey their choice.
Yes, it does come across that AL is playing a part during Q+AL shows. 99% of the music isn't even his own after all. It's more Broadway than a hard rock concert is how I see it.
As for Q+PR, you have to keep in mind that social media and the internet wasn't the same as it is today. Personally, I think Q+AL kicked ass, in my opinion. It was more about the music than gimmicks than Q+AL has been... I think I'll always feel that way.

Posted: 14 Feb 19, 04:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Of course, I am sure people go to see Brian and Roger. I do, too! But they couldn't carry off the show on their own anymore. It is impossible for them to play and sing and do everything. It is amazing that they can do what they do, esp. Brian. How he manages to sing and do all that amazing guitar playing at his age is a puzzler to me. A lot of young people couldn't carry that off. But many, many people go because with the three of them, it just works.

I am not sure why you keep bringing up that it isn't Adam's music. At this point, so what? If you can sing the songs and carry them off and people are more than happy, why does that affect anything? Tons of people all around the world sing music that they didn't write or weren't the first to perform. That is not a non starter for many people. On Broadway they change stars and singers all the time. People don't say, "Well, So and So was the first to sing this part, now I am not going because someone else is". I personally find that kind of silly. You go and either enjoy the show as it currently is or you stay home. Some of it is Broadway, but there are still plenty of rock elements. Brian isn't playing broadway, trust me. The show is divided into segments and covers different genres of music with different costumes, background elements and it is really neat the way the show is configured. As I always say, It just works!

As far as QPR, you are one of the few (and mostly they are die hard Queen fans) who say that QPR kicked ass. I have read tons of comments and reviews and that is not the general consensus. Everybody likes something different, but you really work hard at denigrating everything Adam does. I don't get it. You always have reasons why he is not worthy, if you want to put it that way. We will just agree to differ on that one.

Posted: 14 Feb 19, 04:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Of course, I am sure people go to see Brian and Roger. I do, too! But they couldn't carry off the show on their own anymore. It is impossible for them to play and sing and do everything. It is amazing that they can do what they do, esp. Brian. How he manages to sing and do all that amazing guitar playing at his age is a puzzler to me. A lot of young people couldn't carry that off. But many, many people go because with the three of them, it just works.

I am not sure why you keep bringing up that it isn't Adam's music. At this point, so what? If you can sing the songs and carry them off and people are more than happy, why does that affect anything? Tons of people all around the world sing music that they didn't write or weren't the first to perform. That is not a non starter for many people. On Broadway they change stars and singers all the time. People don't say, "Well, So and So was the first to sing this part, now I am not going because someone else is". I personally find that kind of silly. You go and either enjoy the show as it currently is or you stay home. Some of it is Broadway, but there are still plenty of rock elements. Brian isn't playing broadway, trust me. The show is divided into segments and covers different genres of music with different costumes, background elements and it is really neat the way the show is configured. As I always say, It just works!

As far as QPR, you are one of the few (and mostly they are die hard Queen fans) who say that QPR kicked ass. I have read tons of comments and reviews and that is not the general consensus. Everybody likes something different, but you really work hard at denigrating everything Adam does. I don't get it. You always have reasons why he is not worthy, if you want to put it that way. We will just agree to differ on that one.

Kuijpy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 652 posts

Posted: 14 Feb 19, 11:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The war has started on SweetCaroline!