Forums > Queen + Adam Lambert > Freddie vs Adam on you tube

forum rss feed
Author

Iron Butterfly user not visiting Queenzone.com
Iron Butterfly
Deity: 3597 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Feb 19, 02:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie will always be the better vocalist, performer, songwriter, than AL ever has been, and there is something to be said about Freddie's and Queen's legacy still living on after all this time.

snifflese user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 936 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 19, 04:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To me Queen has always been Freddie centric. The stories seemed to be centered around Freddie. If you listen to what fans say, it would seem that only Freddie wrote the music and Queen would never have been successful w/o Freddie. I have read that far too many times on Queen sites. So, yes, I would say Freddie was always front and center both on and off stage.

I have noticed in the youtubes from back then, it is always Freddie strutting around doing his thing and the other guys are just kind of there in the background. There never seems to be an attempt to include them, which is very different from the interaction between Adam and all the guys on stage.

For many people Queen was Freddie! That is why some folks think Brian and Roger shouldn't go on w/o him. He was irreplaceable in many minds. I think we can include you in that group. That is most definitely my perception that the band existed for Freddie.

Posted: 15 Feb 19, 04:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Better vocalist is in the ears of the person listening. It depends on the type of voice that one enjoys. Not sure you can say that. I will say that performer and songwriter most definitely is true, but not necessarily vocalist. I guess two out of three is not bad and for some it would be all three, but not for everybody. There are some songs I think one or the other does better since it fits their particular voices better. That would be me just listening and not knowing who was singing them. I would not always say the same person. Just trying to be honest here.

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 15 Feb 19, 05:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

snifflese wrote:

To me Queen has always been Freddie centric. The stories seemed to be centered around Freddie. If you listen to what fans say, it would seem that only Freddie wrote the music and Queen would never have been successful w/o Freddie. I have read that far too many times on Queen sites. So, yes, I would say Freddie was always front and center both on and off stage.

I have noticed in the youtubes from back then, it is always Freddie strutting around doing his thing and the other guys are just kind of there in the background. There never seems to be an attempt to include them, which is very different from the interaction between Adam and all the guys on stage.

For many people Queen was Freddie! That is why some folks think Brian and Roger shouldn't go on w/o him. He was irreplaceable in many minds. I think we can include you in that group. That is most definitely my perception that the band existed for Freddie.

I am a Freddie/Queen fan. I've never noticed many people who feel that Freddie wrote all the music. Would Queen ever happened without Freddie...I doubt it. The way the guys worked together is pretty amazing in my books. Freddie had a big personality, but I don't look at him as hogging the spotlight so to speak. Believe me, I think all four guys mattered.
What group are you including me in? That Queen died with Freddie or that Brian and Roger should have retired? Yes, Freddie is irreplaceable no doubt about it. At least that we agree on ;-).

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 15 Feb 19, 05:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

snifflese wrote:

Better vocalist is in the ears of the person listening. It depends on the type of voice that one enjoys. Not sure you can say that. I will say that performer and songwriter most definitely is true, but not necessarily vocalist. I guess two out of three is not bad and for some it would be all three, but not for everybody. There are some songs I think one or the other does better since it fits their particular voices better. That would be me just listening and not knowing who was singing them. I would not always say the same person. Just trying to be honest here.

I have no issue saying that I feel Freddie is a better singer, performer than AL. Do I think Freddie's vocals was always perfect, hell no, I hate how he sings POTF and GDML, it is hardly what I'd call his best.
For me, and I've said this before, Freddie emotions while singing, is unlike anything I've heard before or since. It's the emotions in music which captures and keeps my attention.

Posted: 15 Feb 19, 05:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I included you in the irreplaceable group, Icy!! Even you agree!! That is where he should be for you since I assume he is your fav artist!! I see and hear the emotions in Adam's voice and am amazed how he can just change the level of the sound and the tone of his voice for me to feel it, too. I have always been confused when other people don't find that Adam performs with emotion. The only thing I can think of is that his voice is so effortless and he doesn't strain and make faces (other than the tongue) like so many other people and that makes listeners think he is singing w/o passion. Some singers distort their faces and look like they are going to pop when they emote, so maybe that is it. Adam never looks like that really. To me it is a puzzle! I hear the passion in all his songs.

rockchic65 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1750 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 19, 06:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

philip storey wrote:

How's Adam's Opera range,song writing ability as for Brian saying Adams hits all the high notes better than Freddie if he said that I find that an awfull remark by Dr May.Freddie is a ledgnd who will never be forgotton.Mr Lambert soon as Queen call it a day he will fade away.

What Brian was meaning is that Adam can sing higher than Freddie night after night in a live situation, he wasn't comparing them as such and not from a recording point of view but he's right in the sense that Adam is vocally trained and knows how to look after his voice so he can sing like that without causing vocal strain where Freddie not being trained used to modulate down very often when singing live.

As for Adam fading away - not a chance, he gets asked to do lots of stuff away from Queen because vocally he's consistent, has great work ethic, is good to work with, professional and well respected. There can be more than one person in the world who's good, we all know Freddie was amazing and will always be a legend but it's 27 years now and it's unfair to think everyone has to live under his shadow forever more.

Inspired user not visiting Queenzone.com
Inspired
Deity: 2208 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 19, 07:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Vocal Harmony Brian was not approachable at the recent Bafta awards he walked past some Queen fans and blanked them leaving Roger to deal with them. Brian is getting more up himself every year now because he is feeding of Freddie's genius and thinks he deserves the limelight.

philip storey user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 623 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 19, 09:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I actually met Roger when the band were staying at a hotel I was working at filming the Breakthru video at a nearby railway track.He was nice and friendly and we talked about "Fun in Space".I also wrote to Brian in the 90's and received a beautiful photograph with a personel message and signed.But I now feel they forgetting the fans and are a bit up themselves and rather be in with fellow celebs.

Vocal harmony user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vocal harmony
Deity: 2602 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 19, 12:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Clarity wrote:

Vocal Harmony Brian was not approachable at the recent Bafta awards he walked past some Queen fans and blanked them leaving Roger to deal with them. Brian is getting more up himself every year now because he is feeding of Freddie's genius and thinks he deserves the limelight.

Read my original post again. I explained that Brian was with his wife and probably didn't want to make her feel like an extra while he played a starring role signing autographs and talking to Queen fans. . .

Also getting to meet idols and getting autographs is not a devine right, people, even rock stars, should be allowed to be who they wish to be. Brian and Roger remain much more willing and approached then Freddie ever was. Don't take that as a criticism of Freddie, but he would usually say a very quick hello and be gone

If as you believe Brian thinks he deserves the limelight why didn't he play on that at the BAFTA red carpet and swan about and over egg the occasion and make himself the centre of attention.

bucsateflon user not visiting Queenzone.com
bucsateflon
Bohemian: 908 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 19, 14:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Clarity wrote:

Yes Brian in my opinion has became very arrogant to the point that he forgets it was us the ardent Queen fans of the last 30 years that made him rich and
he conveniently forgets that.
Adam is a complete joke for Queen although on his own he would do well.
No one fits Queen other that Freddie because Queen was his creation alone.
Freddie had the vision and the determination to make the band work.
I have often done what you have done Philip by watching ten minutes of Freddie then Adam and i immediately see Queen now look ridiculous and lost
and Adam has made Queen look trashy and a total dogs dinner.
What the hell people see in this weird combo i just do not know, the world has gone mad.
Freddie is still the king of Queen.

you're just a Freddie fanboy, just as worse as Adam Lambert fanboys.

Fuckers

Posted: 15 Feb 19, 14:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ok, Icy, the post by Clarity proves my point about Queen fans who think it is ALL about Freddie. Per Clarity, "No one fits Queen other than Freddie because Queen was his creation alone." I am always amazed when die hards say that. I guess they are forgetting Freddie's solo venture, which wasn't all that successful? There was just something about the 4 men together that made it work. Take one of them out of the mix (maybe you could remove John, because somehow he doesn't seem as integral to me), but they would never be the same w/o Brian or Roger. They composed together and worked out songs together and were stellar writers and musicians. I just don't believe it all Freddie's work, but some people do and there are more than one might think. Remarks like this is why I have the perception that the band was basically all about Freddie.

matt z user not visiting Queenzone.com
this is not my display message
matt z
Deity: 4130 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 19, 14:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

snifflese wrote:

"... You can hop over to the Freddie threads and do all the ass kissing that you like there. It is not needed here on the QAL thread

THE IDIOCY! The BLASPHEMY!

It's ALL the "Freddie Section"

He IS and was INSEPARABLE from QUEEN. This is essentially the house that Freddie built. Would've been a Smile forum without it.

#2)

Why, the ENTIRE PREMISE OF THIS THREAD is another VERSUS *COMPARISON*

A *COMPARISON*

if people don't like the chub dude being criticised for his unappealing unRockiness... then DON'T FUCKING BRING IT UP!

It's absolutely nuts.

Cheesus, Man. ....i mean, Good God what the hell r y'all smoking?

"Come tonight! Come see the Overbite! Come to Ogre Battle, FIGHTt!"

Posted: 15 Feb 19, 16:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am sick of being criticized because QAL and ADAM, the A part, is discussed here. You "people" (I guess that is what you are, but sometimes I wonder) take such offense at anything positive that is said about the collaboration. My point is that if Freddie is all you wish to discuss (since there doesn't seem to be that much about the other members on this site), there are plenty of places to do it besides right here. Of course there will be comparisons because every time someone makes a remark about Adam, you drag Freddie into it and constantly state how wonderful he is and how much Adam sucks. If you don't like it, then don't compare the two. If you are too dense to understand that concept, not my problem.

Inspired user not visiting Queenzone.com
Inspired
Deity: 2208 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 19, 17:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sniflese Get real your on a Queen fan site what do you think we were all going to discuss the price of tampons?
If you want to read nice things about your incompetent karaoke loser then get on to a AL site and wind your neck in.

philip storey user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 623 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 19, 17:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I went to see Queen with Adam at the awful Barclaycard Arena in Birmingham right in the middle of Birmingham,a real bitch to get to.In the run up to the show I told a few people I was going to see Queen,they all looked puzzled, "but Freddies dead". So I replied oh they have a guest singer his name is Adam Lambert,they all looked at me and said "who's he?" I said oh he came second in an American talent show,no one seemed to have a clue who he was.He is known in the states but virtually unknown in the uk ,except for Queen fans who are split down the middle if he is good or not.Also this site is called Queenzone not Queen plus Adam Lambert zone.

Posted: 15 Feb 19, 17:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What is it that you people don't get about the site being divided into many different threads? This one small area is for QAL and there are a huge number of threads for all other Queen related things. I am just not sure why that is so difficult for some of you to fathom. Queen is in a different phase of its history right now and it is QAL which is allowed to be discussed here. I don't think many people who like Adam are out discussing in the old Queen centric threads, If it upsets you to see Adam mentioned, go to those areas that don't bring up his name. It is very simple, really. Some of us with differing viewpoints can discuss nicely, but with some of you it is impossible since you get so ugly and vindictive.

Vocal harmony user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vocal harmony
Deity: 2602 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 19, 18:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

philip storey wrote:

. . . . .Also this site is called Queenzone not Queen plus Adam Lambert zone.

Well you're the person who started this thread about Adam Lambert. It seems a bit strange having started a topic you're now complaining about it.

As people have pointed out before, this is the Q+AL section. Just as Queen on line has a Queen+AL section. It's part of what the band are currently about.

If you're so concerned about the current live line up in the way that you are, why do you bother posting about it. Why not set up your own Queen site which only allows discussion about the original band, you can ban people from talking about anyone other than Freddie, Brian , Roger and John.

One other thing, what didn't you like about The Barclay Card Arena in Birmingham, I've always thought of it as a good city centre venue.

Posted: 15 Feb 19, 18:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

philip storey wrote:

I went to see Queen with Adam at the awful Barclaycard Arena in Birmingham right in the middle of Birmingham,a real bitch to get to.In the run up to the show I told a few people I was going to see Queen,they all looked puzzled, "but Freddies dead". So I replied oh they have a guest singer his name is Adam Lambert,they all looked at me and said "who's he?" I said oh he came second in an American talent show,no one seemed to have a clue who he was.He is known in the states but virtually unknown in the uk ,except for Queen fans who are split down the middle if he is good or not.Also this site is called Queenzone not Queen plus Adam Lambert zone.

He can't be so unknown over here or no one would go to his solo shows and that's not the case but he is more known in the USA for obvious reasons and he's a lot more known in various European countries and places like Australia and China. End of the day I can't see what difference it makes, people who love Queen either like the shows or they don't and go or not accordingly. They sell out pretty much everywhere so there's enough of a demand to make it worthwhile.

And seriously how many times does it need saying that while the site may be called Queenzone this particular part is Queen + Adam and therefore will have things about Adam posted in it. What's so difficult about ignoring this part of the site for people who aren't on board with the QAL thing, plenty other parts of the site to post in.

Posted: 15 Feb 19, 18:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

matt z wrote:

#2)

Why, the ENTIRE PREMISE OF THIS THREAD is another VERSUS *COMPARISON*

A *COMPARISON*

if people don't like the chub dude being criticised for his unappealing unRockiness... then DON'T FUCKING BRING IT UP!

It's absolutely nuts.

Cheesus, Man. ....i mean, Good God what the hell r y'all smoking?

In case you didn't notice the one starting this unnecessary thread was philip storey who doesn't like Adam and started the thread just to call him, we would gladly do without the comparisons but it ain't gonna happen while you have people who love to start arguments.