Forums > Queen - General Discussion > QZ Book Club: Books & Discussion About Freddie/Queen

forum rss feed
Author

NeverTooLate user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 116 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Apr 19, 13:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello Fellow Book Lovers

I've read several books about Freddie and Queen and thought others would like to discuss. Think of this as a mini book club, all devoted to discussing books about Freddie and Queen.

So far I've read:

- Peter Freestone's 2 books about Freddie
- Jim Hutton's book ("Mercury & Me")
- Peter "Ratty" Hince's book ("Queen Unseen")
- Matt Richards/Mark Langthorne ("Somebody To Love")

Next I will be reading:

- David Evans/David Minns ("This Was The Real Life")

Please join in!

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 657 posts

Posted: 13 Apr 19, 14:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

hey hey NeverTooLate thanks for starting this :)

I have read both Peter Freestone's books, Jim Hutton's book, Peter 'Ratty' Hince's book, Matt Richards (somebody to Love ) Marc Blake's book (forgotten what it is called) , Lesley Ann Jones and Laura Jackson. Yep I went a bit crazy lol. Oh and I have Queen in 3D by Brian May .

I now know not to trust the book written by Lesley Ann Jones and Laura Jackson and also Somebody to Love . Although SBTL has lots of information about AIDS it also has a lot of inaccurate information. For example Freddie did not sleep with John Murphy and 'm pretty sure the person they label as patient zero, isn't actually patient zero. I think they used Lesley Ann Jones' book for a lot of their information.

You will enjoy This was the real Life :)

Posted: 13 Apr 19, 14:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Doughnut!

Thanks for joining.

I appreciated the interspersing of the AIDS info in "Somebody To Love" (SBTL) as I think it's important to get HIV info out in any way possible, but I agree that speculation about who FM got the virus from was futile and anything proposed that cannot be verified is wholly unfair to all.

[ On a side note: obviously "Patient Zero" (identified incorrectly as Gaƫtan Dugas) couldn't have been the first to get AIDS because he got it from someone else. The virus was scientifically traced back to as early as 1908 and the virus we know today as HIV1 started as SIV (Simian Immunodeficiency Virus) which affected multiple non-human primate species. The virus passed to humans, most likely through bushmeat hunters around the turn of the last century, who would have been in contact with infected simian blood. There's a lot of history and science around that topic and tons of good reading info for those who wish to delve into all of that.]

I also have Mark Blake's book ("This Is the Real Life") but haven't read it yet and it's further down the queue. The titles between Blake and Evans/Minns book is confusing because they are so similar, but I have both books.

mika251 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 175 posts

Posted: 13 Apr 19, 15:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello!

I want to join in :)

I have read Phoebe's first book and the second is in the queue.
Peter Hince
Jim Hutton
Mark Blake's books about Queen and Freddie
And most appreciated is Mercury: in his own words by Greg brooks
David Minn's This was the real life is also great. Not only the part written by David Minn's but also all the lovely memories by other people. It gave me the best picture about Freddie and for me personally it's fascinating how all these people described Freddie in the same way - as a shy, hunble, generous and loyal person. You know, one person writing a biography can be biased, can have inaccurate information, can lie in some way, but when 20 people see the person in the same way, you simply have to believe that's the way he really was. And I love how Freddie was seen by his friends.

Posted: 13 Apr 19, 16:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

oh yes I forgot that I have also read Mercury in his own words.

It was nice reading 'this is the real life' as you say Mika everyone described Freddie as you have said. I did really feel for David Minns as I believe Freddie really broke his heart. David was the one to say 'no' when Freddie said he had enough love for the both of them; David and Joe. I believe he felt David would stay in his life just as Mary had. Luckily David knew that mentally it just wouldn't work .

Freddie to me was very much affected by the stardome at that point and was I'd say a little arrogant. He seemed to really mature as he got older.

Posted: 13 Apr 19, 16:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

oh poo, I forgot you haven't read it yet NeverToo Late....apologies :(

Posted: 13 Apr 19, 16:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mercury and Me

I was deeply affected by this book. I surprised myself as I reread it and felt great upset towards Freddie for messing Jim around at the beginning. When he flew Jim out to Munich and then announced he was off to Winnie's , well I didn't like that lol. I know Jim eventually gave Freddie an ultimation , boy do I hope he give him a good strong ultimation; carry on and I am out of here, I'm not putting up with it !!

I have been surprised at the feelings it evoked in me. Hence I have a big soft spot for Jim .

Posted: 13 Apr 19, 17:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Actually I don't really know what to think of Mercury and me. Not because it should be too private but it was written by a journalist from News of the world. Jim told the story to him and he wrote it. So it's not a "first hand" source and even Peter Freestone admited some things were not very accurate. But I still like it.

I absolutely refuse to read Lesley Jones' book and it really annoys me that this is the only book available in the stores right now in my country as the "best biography of FM." making money of BoRhap movie hysteria. And everybody buys it like mad and praise it as a fantastic book.

Posted: 13 Apr 19, 17:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

doughnut wrote:

Mercury and Me

I was deeply affected by this book. I surprised myself as I reread it and felt great upset towards Freddie for messing Jim around at the beginning. When he flew Jim out to Munich and then announced he was off to Winnie's , well I didn't like that lol. I know Jim eventually gave Freddie an ultimation , boy do I hope he give him a good strong ultimation; carry on and I am out of here, I'm not putting up with it !!

I have been surprised at the feelings it evoked in me. Hence I have a big soft spot for Jim .

I have to admit, I would love to have a conversation with Freddie about love and relationships. Because it seems his general view of love was quite unique. I don't know if it comes from childhood spent alone without the family but he really wasn't a conventional partner. I crave for some answers which I probably won't get.

rennsage user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 19 posts

Posted: 13 Apr 19, 17:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi all <>

I've read most of the books mentioned here and I agree somewhat about Mercury and Me. I love reading Jim's perspective but I do wonder how much was actually in his words. I do think some of the personal/embarrassing details could have been left out and I do think they were probably pushed by the journalist who wrote the book.

mika251, I am also fascinated by Freddie's view of relationships. I think there was an interview in 1987 where he discussed this somewhat (I have to dig it up on youtube to get the exact wording). I think it was with David Wigg, the one where he was talking about having found his "niche". He said something about realizing a "one to one" would never work for him and he had to abandon that idea and realize his life would be more of a "one to one to one" kind of thing, and that he accepted that and was finally fine with it. He didn't express himself that clearly but I think he was saying he is not the kind of person who could have one monogamous relationship that would give him everything he needed (love, companionship, sex, friendship, conversation, etc), even though he had spent his life searching for that. So he surrounded himself with a small group of people who, collectively, gave him what he needed.

Posted: 13 Apr 19, 17:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mika , I too would love to have that conversation.

All I'll say on the help Jim had and this is also what Peter said, the recounts were all from Jim as otherwise there wouldn't have been a book, it is Jims story of his time with Freddie. Try not to focus on the help Jim had as I don't think Peter said things were not accurate , more senualized . I have tried to figure out what parts this may be and I can only assume the sex life part maybe or the rows they had. He goes on to say that Jim would never had said anything to darken Freddie's name although to be fair I have seen Peter say a lot about Freddie's sex life over the years.

I watched a UK youtube video yesterday and Peter was on it, it made me feel so sad. He said that Freddie was very promiscuous, as we know , he would often end up with a man most nights and Freddie knew that they were with him because of who he was but he didn't care as he got what he wanted. To me that is so sad and lonely in a way.

Posted: 13 Apr 19, 17:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rensage hi.

The part where he talks about having a one to one is from an interview with David Wigg in 1986. In it Freddie said he was very content and Jim said that Freddie told him he was referring to him but kept to the 'i'm not in a relationship type talk to protect Jim. Thor said they were equally protective of each other.

I took the one to one comment as he couldn't just live with Jim, he would need more people around him and that is why he moved Peter, Joe and Jim into Garden Lodge. I also took it that at this point he had realised that if he wanted to keep Jim in his life, he needs to change.

The part where he says 'I have finally found the niche I have been looking for all my life' was the interview with David Wigg in 1987.

Posted: 13 Apr 19, 18:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mika what country are you in ?

Posted: 13 Apr 19, 18:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

doughnut wrote:

Mika what country are you in ?

Same as Phoebe :) Czech Republic.

Posted: 13 Apr 19, 18:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There is also an interview with David Wigg in 1985, about his solo plans and there are several bits on YouTube and in one of them he really opens up speaking about love and how it affects him but unfortunately it is finished literally in the middle of sentence! I have a crazy idea to contact David and ask for the rest :)

Posted: 13 Apr 19, 20:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mika I really feel you and me are alike as I wish I could contact any and everyone who knew Freddie to get to the bottom of his life and relationships . Actually that is what lead me to this site. Freddie had an annoying habit of starting a sentence and then starting another mid way through ...arrrrr he did this a lot in his 1986/1987 david wigg interviews

have you met Phoebe and what is it like in the Czech Republic?

Posted: 13 Apr 19, 20:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Doughnut

Actually it wasn't Freddie who didn't finish his sentence, the whole recording is just cut in the middle of his sentence. I don't have a clue why and where is the rest! ??

This thread actually inspired me to listen to his interviews with David in 85/86/87 and man he was really special. Can't get enough of his voice and opinions.

Back to books before I start to be too sentimental :)

I agree with you, it is very important to get as many sources as possible, but real sources I mean people who really knew him. Every memory is a small treasure and makes the whole picture of a human being. And actually I'm really glad that they also speak about his weaknesses because this makes him real.
Yesterday I went through Ask Phoebe blog and found some interesting insight into Freddies refusal to believe that some of "friends" weren't real friends. And on the other side he simply stopped talking to people when he felt betrayed by them without giving them a chance to explain the situation. This creates a picture of his whole personality and helps to understand how he really was.

What do you think about Peter Hince's book? It is quite a unique piece. I laughed so hard when reading it that I had to stop to read it in public because people thought I'm crazy.

I have never met Phoebe and our country is quite boring actually, but still a great place to live. But I still don't get why Phoebe choose this place on Earth to live in :)

Posted: 13 Apr 19, 21:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Off topic

In his '86 interview David ask him how does the crowd affect him and Freddie answers he looks at the bank balance and both of them laugh.
My English is not good enough I simply didn't get it. What does it mean? Money darling? :)

emdee0809 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 135 posts

Posted: 14 Apr 19, 02:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nevertolate - good idea of the book thread.
I have read most of the books mentioned - but my problem is they are all digital - which was economical, but it's hard to go back to reference things. It would be much easier to flip through pages to find what I am looking for.
I am still reading the Minns/Evans book.
I did buy the Somebody To Love bio in paperback. After reading about the inaccuracies, I don't know what's true or not.

I really liked Mercury and Me. I've read a lot of reviews from people who thought it was a "kiss and tell" book, but I just don't see it that way. I suppose when it was published relatively close after Freddie's death- many were angered. I just wonder how much of this stemmed around the fact that some didn't want to accept Freddie as being gay.

Also, after I read the part in the book when they exchanged wedding bands, I always look for the ring on Freddie's finger in his interviews!!

Posted: 14 Apr 19, 03:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi All,

Finally got started on the David Evans/David Minns book today.

My favorite so far has been Jim Hutton's book and I didn't think it was too intrusive into their lives. He told it how it was from his perspective and I respect that. I didn't have a preconceived notion of Freddie's life, so there was no particular image I needed to have validated. I want and accept the truth, regardless of what it is.

I don't take anything written about Freddie personally, as I am not him nor did I know him. Those that did know him may have different opinions on what he was like simply due to the nature of their individual relationships with him. Freddie was a complicated man; he wasn't all sweetness and light, he wasn't all just one or 2 things.