Forums > Personal > Friendly Chat

forum rss feed
Author

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2166 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Mar 20, 00:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Steven, this is a chit chat group you can discuss anything you want nobody is in charge.Books are welcome here too chit chat could be anything

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 881 posts

Posted: 29 Mar 20, 00:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh gosh Steven, it doesn't matter either way. We had been discussing non-fic and Manson on the book thread and I just thought maybe you'd gotten confused. There is a discussion going on about the Hince book over there too, but it's surely not limited to that. I was happy to see you poke your head in here!!

Jo T. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jo T.
Bohemian: 161 posts

Posted: 29 Mar 20, 04:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@stevendabudgie, I'm so glad you posted here on the thread! I remember your name from a previous thread back in 2019. You had recommended the 2013 Oscar-nominated Best Documentary by David France "How to Survive a Plague." I saw the 2-hour documentary on YouTube and was absolutely blown away by it. I was so moved. It was the 1st time I learned of AIDS activist, Larry Kramer, and ACT UP. I remember the footage of the AIDS Quilt sprawled out on the National Mall in DC and hearing Freddie Mercury's name, among others, called out and remembered as those who had died from AIDS.

In fact, it later spurred me to buy journalist/author Randy Shilts' 1987 classic "And the Band Played On: Politics, People, and the AIDS Epidemic." I've been reading the book on/off slowly - even before the COVID-19 pandemic started in China - but have yet to complete it. I was sad to learn Randy Shilts had succumbed to AIDS in his early 40s in 1994. Besides Freddie Mercury, he was another extremely talented soul who died too young. Shilts may have unintentionally maligned Gaetan Dugas as Patient Zero, but I honestly believe he would've rectified the error today, out of journalistic integrity.

Even though the book "And the Band Played On" is over 30-years-old and progress has been made in terms of HIV/AIDS treatment, it's scary to realize that no vaccine has yet to be developed - or a cure to be found for HIV. Gosh, I pray it's not the same for COVID-19, a RESPIRATORY disease! It's far easier to avoid the exposure to HIV found in blood and bodily fluids. Dr. Anthony Fauci, Director, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and today's U.S. medical expert and advisor to the POTUS on COVID-19, was even mentioned on 6 pages from the 1987 book!

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 683 posts

Posted: 29 Mar 20, 04:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

On Friday, I finished my first full week of working from home, and I have to admit that I really like it. My husband is retired, so I enjoy being able to see him during the day. Speaking of my husband, I got a surprise gift from him today...a new Freddie tee-shirt. One can never have too many Freddie shirts! This one has a picture of Freddie in his classic pose wearing his yellow jacket with the words "The Show Must Go On". I am very lucky and grateful. :)

In the midst of this awful pandemic, I am truly heartened by the many acts of kindness that have emerged. Both individuals and organizations are reaching out to provide assistance or simply lift spirits during this stressful time. In the late afternoon today, I heard the sound of emergency vehicles coming down our street...lots of them. I stepped outside and watched as 5 large firetrucks and EMT vehicles slowly drove down the street, lights flashing and horns blaring. No emergency...they were just driving around and waving to people. My neighbors around me had also stepped outside and everyone waved as they drove by. That was fun.

My father-in-law asked me to send him a link to the song "Amazing Grace" by Il Divo. This is such a beautiful song...majestically done by the group at the Roman Coliseum in Croatia. Thought I would pass it along in case some of you have never heard this version before. It is truly magnificent and uplifting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYMLMj-SibU

Posted: 29 Mar 20, 05:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow, that is a beautiful song my grandmother's favorite I had to play it for her every holiday.

Posted: 29 Mar 20, 05:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Steven, I second that I'm glad your here too everyone is I hope there are more to come .You seem very knowledgable about the civil war era.As far as the band played on it wasnt one of my favorite movies.They really screwed that one up I think blamed that poor guy made him look like satan himself when he was no different from anyone else of those times that knew nothing about the virus.If anything he was cooperative and it helped them figure out it was sexually transmitted I believe dont quote me on that.

Lsgp03 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lsgp03
Bohemian: 276 posts

Posted: 29 Mar 20, 06:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

regarding Manson attacking Sharon Tate’s-Roman Polanski home thinking it belonged to one of The Beach Boys. What I understood Actress singer Doris Day, her only son, Jerry Melcher was a music producer and was good friends with Beach boys Brian Wilson. Manson lived with Wilson as a means of being helpful with a music guy interested in writing songs, but living as roommates went south. Wilson introduces manson to Melcher (Doris Day’s son) who USED to live in Sharon Tate’s house.
Melcher had ZERO interest in Manson.
Melcher told his mother that the guy was creepy and was giving death threats to Melcher. Doris Day told her son to move.
Melcher sold his house to Sharon Tate and Roman Polanski.
Manson got his indoctrinated zombies to go murder Melcher only not realizing Melcher moved, Sharon being 8 months pregnant and pleaded for her son to be spared, but we all know the rest of the story.
I met the L.A. Prosecutor Vincent Bugliosi back in the 70’s, and the story he told of the trial would make your neck stand off your neck. I remember The Who Manson-Tate and La Bianco murders like it was yesterday.

Lsgp03

Posted: 29 Mar 20, 06:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Typo .....The Who Manson-Tate.....The Who? My mind always on rock music. Lol

Lsgp03

Posted: 29 Mar 20, 06:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow just saw the link for Amazing Grace, AWESOME and uplifting, thank you!

Posted: 29 Mar 20, 06:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lego, Charles Manson Helter Skelter true Crime.The one that killed Sharon Tate.

Posted: 29 Mar 20, 06:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lsgp, typo sorry !

Posted: 29 Mar 20, 06:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lsgp, Yes that's why Sharon got killed basically Mansonnthought he still lived there and sent his trippy hippies to murder all the rich folks.He called it Helter Skelter.He loved The Beatles and lots of LSD.

Posted: 29 Mar 20, 06:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lsgp, I dont remember it but my family stayed and had dealings with them when they stayed at spawn Ranch.My Dad is part of the Hells Angel's and they used to run guns and drugs for the Hells Angel's Chapter.They were even too creepy for my people and you know how crazy Hells Angel's were.My Aunt told me they even gave their children dope and let them take acid trips with them .That's nuts.

Posted: 29 Mar 20, 11:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow, thank you so much for that beautiful link. It's a favorite song of mine and there are so many wonderful versions out there. I'd heard the Il Divo version before, but this time I've saved it to one of my files. I've always loved bagpipes, and I have to admit that when they begin to sing right after the bagpipes it always brings tears to my eyes.

I'm also heartened Rainbow by the many acts of kindness during this dark time. Yesterday the teachers of the children in my neighborhood drove in a car parade around the neighborhood just to see the kids. They had balloons, placards and lots of honking horns. The kids loved it! It was unseasonably warm so many were outside playing in their own yards and since the "parade" was scheduled, the kids also had signs and shows of support for the teachers. My neighborhood has really pulled together with offers of help and shows of kindness to each other. As we sat outside in our driveways calling back and forth to each other it was such a feeling of community.

Jo T, I remember when Steven shared the David France documentary and I, too, watched it. Seeing that quilt laid out, hearing the roll call of names was so moving. I wasn't expecting to hear Freddie's name and it jolted me. I haven't read "And the Band Played On" though I have seen the movie.

Posted: 29 Mar 20, 14:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Many lives were lost with Aids epidemic everyone man or woman was someones friend, brother, son, Dauhter, aunt, Or Uncle.I often thought I wonder how many of these people died alone and had no support from family it leaves a lump in my throat.Everyone was just being young out celebrating and enjoying life and the grime Reiper came in like a tornado and destroyed one life and spared another it didnt disriminate.How did their mother's go on I know from experience most mothers and their sons are close. They know their sons better than anyone.To lose them like that with this terrible virus would be a never ending suffering and pain that their sons and Daughters died in the 30s and didnt see love now marriage and retirement.But yes when I think of that quilt I automatically think of loneliness dying alone being scared and their mothers.

Thereuhaveit user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 112 posts

Posted: 29 Mar 20, 14:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've no wisdom to impart, no review of books or movies to debate and discuss, and certainly no suggestions for parents/grandparents supervising home schooling. But there are some funny ditties out there to lighten the load--and with good messaging for us all. If you're offended at "colorful" language, these might not be for you.

On the other hand, you're all Freddie Mercury fans, so scratch that last statement. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1OCZRann8w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0-2XxgHIXk&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR1akrvtbQluZBWh43vrFfY9c56QcIh3AqUuZoi1K0OuZB9hVJS6thidQAA

Bohemian Rhapsody for the age of covid: https://www.npr.org/2020/03/29/823438941/yes-pandemic-musical-parodies-are-a-thing-now

Thereuhaveit user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 112 posts

Posted: 29 Mar 20, 14:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry, forgot to take the "s" out of the last link:

http://www.npr.org/2020/03/29/823438941/yes-pandemic-musical-parodies-are-a-thing-now

Posted: 29 Mar 20, 14:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

TUHI, you made me laugh. I absolutely think humor is incredibly important now. I particularly loved the Broadway parody and immediately sent it to me B'way friends. Thanks!!!

MyHumanZoo user not visiting Queenzone.com
MyHumanZoo
Bohemian: 319 posts

Posted: 29 Mar 20, 16:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow...so many good posts to answer, I fear I will miss out on responding to a few! On The Beach Boys connection (from the Manson stuff), I read Brian Wilson’s book last year...it was good but what a life that guy has had. I do recommend it. Speaking of that, I also saw him in concert last summer, and it was the saddest thing. I was excited, thinking it would be my chance to see a piece of something famous. He had recently had back surgery, he shuffled out with a walker and needed help sitting down at the piano. He sang maybe 2 or 3 of the songs overall, and his voice was so bad he could not carry the tune...the whole crowd (of which there were very few, actually) was embarrassed for him, and sitting there you just didn’t know what to do. We clapped and supported him but it was awkward as I’ve ever felt. Luckily the rest of the band was fantastic and covered for him.

Rainbow, congrats on the shirt, that is enough to lift the spirits! I broke down and ordered the t shirt of Freddie at the piano looking like Schroeder from the Peanuts cartoon recently and it makes me happy.

Jo T thanks for the reminder, I still need to read “And the Band Played On”.

On another topic, I watched Mick Rock’s documentary called “Shot” on Netflix last night. He is the photographer that took Queen’s picture for the Queen II cover, which later was in the famous BoRap video. He shot tons of famous musicians and groups. The documentary is done a little strangely, but it’s interesting. Talk about another drug-filled life....the 70s was quite a time!

Love is still the answer, take my hand...

Posted: 29 Mar 20, 16:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

TUHI, Thanks hun glad to see you!Hope you are well.Stay safe and protect yours.