Forums > Personal > Friendly Chat

forum rss feed
Author

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 683 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Apr 20, 07:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Steven...I have only read a few books about the Vietnam War. My favorite was "Home Before Morning" by Linda Van Devanter, It's the true story of a young US Vietnam war nurse. War is truly a soul-scarring experience for all involved....her book helped shine a light on the contributions of women veterans.

Katydyd...I have the Montreal concert DVD. Freddie sings my favorite version of "Somebody to Love" during that show. One evening, I watched the entire concert, then immediately rewatched it with the commentary on. I obviously had a lot of time on my hands that evening! Particularly noteworthy is when Freddie starts singing "Love of my Life" and the audience does not sing along like he had become accustomed to. You can hear him say to Brian, "They don't know it" with Brian responding "That's alright".

JB050....I haven't picked up any new hobbies yet, but I did teach my husband how to play "Liverpool Rummy" this past weekend. It's a card game I used to play with my Grandmother when I would spend the night at her house as a youngster. My grandma and I would play multiple games in the evening at the kitchen table. She'd usually put out a dish of M&M's to nibble on, then after a few games, we would take a break and have either homemade cookies or apple tarts. Everything my Grandmother baked was fantastic,

The other day I watched Elton John's iHeart concert for charity and tonight I watched Garth Brooks and Tricia Yearwood's show from their home. I like that so many musicians are dong their part to relieve some of the stress this nightmare virus situation has caused.

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 881 posts

Posted: 02 Apr 20, 11:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JB, no new hobbies here though I may have to come up with something soon. I even gave a brief thought to one of those diamond pictures that Freddie Darling did a few months ago. I'm not crafty though and I know I would quickly lose patience. Luckily the weather is warming and I can work out in the yard. Now I'm wondering if we are going to be able to get to the garden stores for flowers and plants. I know that is almost a ridiculous worry in this time, but I look for small pleasures now.

Rainbow, I have a friend who is fairly new to Queen. Several weeks ago she said she used the early version of the band filming "Somebody to Love" to wake up and get going. I immediately sent her the Montreal version of the song, and whoa!! She loved it and said that was now her favorite video. Freddie is on fire! BTW, I love card games! I'm actually missing the endless games of Old Maid, Go Fish, and Memory that my granddaughter likes to play with me. I am so impressed with the way the country is pulling together to try to relieve stress. I'm not a country music fan, but I do like Garth. Would love to see him in concert.

Steven, if it isn't too much to ask, would you be willing to share your profession? You have such an interest in history that I've always wondered if you were a professor or a historian.

MyHumanZoo user not visiting Queenzone.com
MyHumanZoo
Bohemian: 319 posts

Posted: 02 Apr 20, 16:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katyd, I like the commentary on Montreal because Roger comments several times on Freddie in those short shorts and how “it’s not his favorite look”. Makes me laugh!

My only new hobby is learning the guitar so far, it is frustratingly slow at my age. I keep at it though. My father has played and performed all his life, lately he does the banjo more because the neck is smaller and easier on his hands (arthritis). He’s quite well known for it in our area, and was also on the board of directors of the National banjo association for many years. I want to play like he does without all the years of experience...not too much to ask, is it? ; )

I like doing things outdoors too, landscaping and flowers are my favorite. Yesterday I spent a few hours out in the woods around me, cutting down vines. I’m not sure what they are called, the leaves look like grape leaves though. They climb up the trees and basically kill the trees by taking over the branches with their own leaves, so the tree’s leaves get no light. We lost a few large trees before I figured this out, now I go every spring on my mission to get rid of the vines. It’s crazy, but I enjoy it! Some of them are so big I have to cut them with a saw. I have been wondering about getting plants and flowers this spring too.

Chevy, your poor dad! I can’t even imagine what he had to go through and live with later. Somehow saying thanks for his service does not seem in any way adequate!

Love is still the answer, take my hand...
stevendabudgie user not visiting Queenzone.com
stevendabudgie
Bohemian: 189 posts

Posted: 02 Apr 20, 20:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

By the way, I have stumbled across documentary filmmaker David Hoffman´s channel. He uploads a lot of original material from the past decades. There are interviews with Vietnam vets and People who lived through the 1950s and 1960s, and documentaries from that time period.
https://www.youtube.com/user/allinaday/videos

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2166 posts

Posted: 02 Apr 20, 20:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jb050, my new hobby is to try and stay away from all these people that have this virus that are probably gonna become zombies and be running around biting everyone infecting them.Im just kidding.We just lost a 13 year old from it near where I live.It seems as if it is worse pandemonium than when AIDS was discovered in the fact its spread from touch and surfaces like the flu.I feel in time in may kill just as many I hope not but I have a bad feeling.The fact noone is listening isnt helping.

Amidds user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 346 posts

Posted: 03 Apr 20, 16:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi all! Just wanted to pop in and see how everyone is doing. I imagine things will be slowing way down for me soon as IL just extended it's quarantine until 4/30! I will probably drive my husband crazy in a very short time lol.....I am not one for sitting still!

While I like the work from home thing, there's only so much I can do and have had to pop into my office a couple of times. Kinda defeats the purpose I think :(

Something I have been talking to my daughter about....FL is on the upswing now in COVID cases. As a manager and ICU nurse, she has been tasked with setting up teams in her department to prepare for this. She has a week to get the teams set up and train the non-ICU nurses to get ready to care
for these patients. A week is NOT enough time to train a nurse in ICU. Not wanting to be a downer here but, PLEASE PEOPLE, try to stay home and away from others to slow this down! (It sucks sometimes to know someone in healthcare.....)

Love the discussions you all are having here and on the book thread, hope to get back regularly soon as I miss you all!

stevendabudgie user not visiting Queenzone.com
stevendabudgie
Bohemian: 189 posts

Posted: 03 Apr 20, 19:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@Chevyman

I am sorry to hear about your father. I hope his life not always dark and gloomy but contains Moments of fun und joy. Here in Germany there has been research going on about the generation born between 1930 and 1945, the so-called "war children" who experienced the war and/or the squalor immediately after the war. The trauma still affects them in high age and has shaped their children, too. Thus, there were families where three generations had been traumatized.

@Rainbow

I have not read a book with personal histories or of the "The-Battle- of-X"-type. I read "American tragedy" by David Kaiser and Howard Jones´s "Death of a Generation: How the Assassinations of Diem and JFK Prolonged the Vietnam War", both documenting that Kennedy was pushed by his advisors to send combat troops to Vietnam from 1961 onwards, but resisted based on the failure of the French. And that he indeed wanted to withdraw.
I once saw a short documentary movie from WW1 showing how shell shock were "rehabilitated." just to rejoin the Army. A lot of them made repetitive, "chaplinesque" movements at the beginning. One walked like he was still stumbling across wire, another one only needed to hear the word "grenade" or "bomb" to jump and hide underneath his bed in his hospital room… absolutely horrible.

@Katydy5

As is said, it´s my hobby. i was a Student- for a while. I leave it at that. My interest in history and "intellectual" things in general was rekindled by my commitment to the silent movie group I was in in.

Posted: 03 Apr 20, 20:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Steven, yeah I'm a war baby that's what my counselor talks about all the time he said witnessing my father's rages and violence gave me the ptsd.Childhood trauma he said it was called chronic PTSD from having a war veteran as a father.I always sleeped light and still do lol.Meds help but talk therapy can help alot too.I was born in June of 1973 so the war was over before that he was discharged and I was born.He used to do the strangest thing most people use steps to walk down a porch not him he would jump of the side.Come to find out he did that because he was used to jumping from those helicopters.He still doesnt use steps he is 70 years old and to old to jump like that.

Posted: 03 Apr 20, 20:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh I did talk to one of my aunts which is my Dads sister and she said he was very different before he went over seas and came back so damaged not the same.I dont remember the happy go lucky man she is talking about I only remember the devil in the mirror when he was up for days with his loaded guns.My mom finally left but we went to live with grand parents so it was all good.But yes the soldiers and family's suffer and their kids grow up angry.

Posted: 04 Apr 20, 01:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MHZ, are you taking guitar lessons or using something like YouTube to teach yourself? Is your dad teaching you? Is he still performing? I always wished I had learned how to play the piano, and for years now I've wished I could find the time to learn to play Bluegrass fiddle. Like you though, I want to be able to play well without all the years of learning. My next door neighbor is a fairly well known jazz guitar player in my area. Unfortunately jazz is my least favorite music genre, though I do enjoy when he's sitting out on his deck just fooling around with his guitar.

I have that grape leaf vine in my yard too and I don't know what it is either, but it is stubborn. I think I finally got all of it, but I did have to have my lawn guys take down part of a large mature tree that had died because of it.

Amidds, it seems like FL is just catching up to the rest of us. I have a friend who lives in Sarasota and she called today. They are both retired health professionals and have been following the guidelines all along, but she knows there is a storm ahead. Your daughter has been given a difficult task with a lot of stress. It does suck to know someone in health care. I think I've mentioned before that my DIL is a supervising nurse in a nursing home/rehab center. Because my grandkids are still small, she works alternating weekends doing two 12 hour shifts, rather than daily. It breaks her heart that the residents can't have visitors unless they are transitioning to death. They still have a fair number of people in and out with new admissions, patients returning from hospitals and doctors visiting patients. She is on my mind all the time.

I hope those of you who are working at home are doing ok. It seems to me that it might be hard to discipline yourselves to stay focused on the job with all the comforts of home around you.

I think of all of you and hope you are well.

Posted: 04 Apr 20, 05:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mhz, Guitar is my favorite instrument.I started learning real young.

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 683 posts

Posted: 04 Apr 20, 17:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello Everyone,

I don't recall if I posted this a long time ago. This video has been around a while. I love this song and dance because it is so completely joyous...and we can all use some joy right now! Makes me wish I had been there. (Sorry that the quality of the video is not better, but it's worth a look)

Have a great Saturday....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EYAUazLI9k

MyHumanZoo

Posted: 04 Apr 20, 18:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds, I hope your daughter stays safe in her job, what a tough thing for her to weather! We were in Florida when this started, returned home on the 1 st of March. We have many friends down there that are scared about the rise in cases, the older population is so at risk. It’s hard to believe they would have just a week to learn ICU responsibilities, but I guess everyone is doing the best they can with what they have.

Katyd, I am doing kind of a combo in guitar learning, I am working through a book my dad recommended, and it has an online component. I also have the odd lesson with my dad. To be honest, I should take more lessons from my dad, but I hate not progressing very fast and I feel embarrassed when I play in front of him...I don’t want to let him down! He doesn’t care, and is so over the moon that I am even trying, so it’s not that he makes me feel bad. Just my own internal pressure, I guess. I play for about an hour every day and I love it, I just want to be better! I can play the piano some, not super advanced but I can play stuff. I played trumpet for years and was fairly good at it, but it’s not something you can put down and pick up years later, you lose your “lip” or pucker strength.

On my lawn escapades, I spent a few hours getting rid of wild scallions that have started to grow....I had never seen these before until a couple of years ago. They popped up in the woods and now they are sneaking into the yard. You can’t really apply anything that kills them, which sucks! So I have a popper tool that goes down and pulls it by the root. My dog cannot understand why I won’t let him dig holes...and yet I go around making them myself, lol!

Posted: 05 Apr 20, 02:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow, I have seen that video before but it made me smile to see I again. So many of the people watching have such joy on their faces. It felt good to sit and smile at my computer, and I have to admit to singing along.

MHZ, I'm very impressed that you spend an hour every day playing your guitar. That's dedication! What type of music do you play? I played the clarinet for a mercifully short period of time. I say mercifully because other people had to listen to me practice. I love music but never took the time to develop any expertise. I'm sure your dad must be so pleased to see you pursuing this interest. My dad was an engineer and would have loved to see me pursue an interest in math. Trust me, that was never going to happen.

I planted my Morning Glories this week. Now if only the rabbits will leave them alone. I plant them so they will grow up a trellis. You would think that would be a big enough clue for my lawn guy to know not to weed wack them but two years in a row he took them out. Last year I hung a sign on the trellis with a picture of a weed wacker on it and a huge "NO!" He thought that was pretty funny and he's left the baby plants alone since. Now if only I could get the message to the rabbits.

MyHumanZoo

Posted: 05 Apr 20, 15:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I play classical guitar...at least that is what I am trying to learn. Probably the most difficult too....silly me! I spend some of the time just learning chords though, I got a Beatles song book for Christmas and I am working my way through that one too. The Beatles have so many songs and I know them all, plus I can sing along. It keeps things interesting. I bought an electric guitar, one of Brian’s Red Specials and I want to learn that too. I finally ordered an amp this week so I can start playing around on it too. I have been watching Brian give tutorials on his guitar riffs on Instagram, I’m saving the ones I like so I can learn them. He did Bijou yesterday which is one of my favorite solos that he does, I hope I can figure it out. Most of his stuff is far too complicated for me! I’d really love to learn the flamenco style solo in Innuendo...which actually wasn’t played by Brian, but by Yes’s guitarist. That one is a pipe dream for me!

I had a dream last night that I could suddenly play all the chords to Queen songs, I was playing and singing and it was so much fun to be good at it! If only dreams could come true, lol!

I love morning glories...funny thing, I have some that grow in my back landscaping on their own, they climb up the side of the fencing on my dog’s kennel. I am always cutting them down because they will take over the kennel and my dog also tries to eat them off the fence. So while you are growing them, I’m getting rid of them, lol! I do think they are pretty though!

Jo T. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jo T.
Bohemian: 161 posts

Posted: 06 Apr 20, 06:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Posted: 06 Apr 20, 19:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MHZ, I do love the Beatles John Lennon was a deep thinker.I do think at times he should've kept his wife in her place I dont think women should but themselves in their mens buisness.Women definately have places but it's not in a mans place for sure .He was so easy going though I guess he avoided conflict.I was just raised that way I wont take much lip off of a woman but try to respect mens authority.Im no good at raising plants I kill them all they meet their death when it comes to me.You.MHZ, You should play crazy little thing called love it's real easy go play.I dont think Freddie was real excellent on the guitar but he played that song.He was a beast on the piano though.Im glad it's becoming your passion I love it too.

Jo T. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jo T.
Bohemian: 161 posts

Posted: 07 Apr 20, 00:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@stevendabudgie, I read the March 20th “Daily Beast” article you posted. Thank you! Believe it or not, I take great comfort in learning that 84-year-old, AIDS activist/writer, Larry Kramer, and Dr. Fauci are “good friends” today, esp. considering that Larry Kramer once lambasted Dr. Fauci as a “murderer” and “incompetent idiot” for the “government’s failure to address the (HIV/AIDS) epidemic in the ’80s.” Larry Kramer is certainly not a man to mince words. I’d hate to be on his bad side! LOL Till I read the “Daily Beast,” I wasn’t even aware that Larry Kramer is alive today – and HIV(+), too. He’s currently working on his “last book” about today’s COVID-19 and the parallels to the HIV/AIDS crisis in the ’80s. I hope he lives to complete it. I also have the utmost respect for Dr. Fauci, both as a medical professional/scientist and as a man. He's so calm, rational and soft-spoken, a natural diplomat. The good doctor is 79-years-old. He works 15 to 16-hour days on the coronavirus pandemic AND jogs 3.5 miles daily. He scaled back from 7 miles because of the current pandemic. The man’s an inspiration. I need to up my daily workout. I feel like a slacker – and I’m decades younger! I was sad to learn recently that Dr. Fauci needs security detail. He has received death threats.

@TUHI, thanks for the music parodies. Humor is essential these days. I’ve been a fan of “Weird Al” Yankovic over the years, so I’ve always enjoyed music parodies in general. BTW, the lyrics for the “Coronavirus Rhapsody” were absolutely cringeworthy. “Mama, I just killed a man.” I dreaded what came next but broke into hysterics. “I didn’t stay inside in bed. I walked past him, now he’s dead.” Forgive my black humor, my gallow’s humor, but I laughed. BTW, I don’t treat COVID-19 lightly.

@Rainbow61, the Il Divo video of “Amazing Grace” was lovely. I esp. liked the Scottish bagpipes. Like you, I also watched and donated to Elton John’s iHeart Living Room Concert for America. I regret I never got to see Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood’s live-stream living room concert for coronavirus relief. I’ve actually seen Garth Brooks live in concert back in the day and own some of his old CDs, as well as Trisha Yearwood’s. I heard they performed Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper’s duet “Shallow” from “A Star is Born” during the live-stream.

@Lsgp03, as an Adele fan, I cracked up at Chris Mann’s parody of “Hello (from the inside).” The “inside” reference made me laugh. Chris Mann does a lot of other parodies.

@MHZ, that’s cool you brought one of Brian May’s Red Special and are learning guitar!

@Amidds, God bless your daughter, the ICU nurse mgr.! I have family and friends currently working the front lines as nurses, physicians, a respiratory therapist and an occupational therapist. I’ve seen their cries for more PPEs on FB. They’re short-staffed, overworked and stressed on the job. Many of their reg. hospital units have been converted to COVID-19 beds. They’re afraid to infect their families back at home. 4 of my RN friends separately became symptomatic for the coronavirus from work exposure. Fortunately, none had to be hospitalized and placed on vents. After a period of self-quarantine in their homes, once they became asymptomatic, they've been back at work FT. They are true professionals and continue to give it their all for their patients in the fight against COVID-19.

Posted: 07 Apr 20, 00:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I kinda find it hard to laugh at anything concerning a virus that is taking lives from people in days or weeks .I have had experience with this and my life spared.It was also a virus type thing.People are still running around God bless them like they dont need to take precaution.The hospitals are full not enough life saving support devices available.This thing could end up like an atomic bomb then what shall we do.Im sorry I just dont find humor in someone fighting for their life with pneumonia that this virus creates which I'm assuming is rare and related to the virus itself and the bodies weakened immune system just cant fight it off.Lets see how many jokes and funny things people say if it kills thousands.I hope people take warning and stay home this virus needs bodies to survive and we are perfect.

Posted: 07 Apr 20, 01:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As far as AIDS it was around way way way before they knew a thing then boom they had to blame somebody especially when the fancy geniuses cant figure it out I guess it hurt or offended their little intelligence lol.They blamed it all on one dude That Gatean dude that was just so wrong.Then they figured out the truth it's been out for ages just like all the other sexually transmitted disease like gonnorea , claps,and,crabs, I bet that was a itchy situation lol.My brother got those once he didnt know what to do and neither did I so I told him to take my nair and but it on his private place he was on fire poor thing.He finally had to go to the Dr those things had him itching like crazy.I laugh about it now but that nair left burns on him he said he was so mad at me.I thought this story was actually funny and would lighten the mood.I was in fear my grandparents would get them crabs off the toilet.So I told him he better tell them he had been playing with some nasty girls so he did.Well that's it for STD education have a nice evening.