Forums > Personal > Friendly Chat

forum rss feed
Author

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 681 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Apr 20, 03:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MHZ....Although there are many great Queen songs from the 80's, most of my favorites are also from the 70's. Is your Red Special "calling you" to learn any of them?

Katydyd....I watched Freddie Mack's interview today. My takeaway was the same. He said his father has answered many questions about Freddie consistently over the years, so he can't figure out why there is so much misinformation regarding what his father has said.

Freddie didn't seem to focus much on his ethnicity. In one of the "Ask Phoebe" posts from January of 2017, Peter Freestone said "Freddie almost never spoke of his childhood and Persian origins. He wasn’t ashamed or anything like that, but Freddie was a person of today rather than the past and didn’t want to waste precious time reflecting on what was as opposed to what is and will be." I have to admit I am very different. I have a subscription to Ancestry.com and have spent hours and hours looking up information and copying documents about my grandparents, great-grandparents etc. It fascinates me to learn about the relatives I have never met.

Amidds...I hope you will be able to go to Montreux in September. It sounds like the Freddie birthday party might be up in the air. I'm counting on you to regale us with wonderful stories of the event.

Jo T. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jo T.
Bohemian: 161 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 20, 06:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@Rainbow61 (and other interested parties), Marie's Crisis - NYC's West Village piano bar where Thor has mentioned he used to work as a cocktail server (bartender?) back in the '80s - has gone virtual. Check out the link (https://www.playbill.com/article/how-famed-piano-bar-maries-crisis-is-keeping-the-sing-alongs-alive-online?fbclid=IwAR2HOANOhPN-eHK2YW08Mo-j3WRof-qTm-kBTtNu6mynusWTmMob2OceDPo). I visited Marie's 2x last month in person, the week before NYC went on lockdown.

If you have a Facebook account, it's easy to join the private group called "Maries Group." There's no apostrophe. Then, you can view live streams for free of Marie's regular pianists performing "living room concerts" from their apts. One of the pianist's studio apt. cracked me up. It was so small and cramped. The piano appeared to take up 1/2 his studio apt. His refrigerator was practically 1 foot from the piano. Another person that appeared briefly in the background could've been a roommate! The pianists do accept gratuities via Venmo or PayPal. I like to help out artists in these times. You can request Broadway songs or other classic songs in real time by posting a comment. My requests for "Suddenly Seymour" from "Little Shop of Horrors" on Wed. night and "Being Alive" from Stephen Sondheim's "Company" on Thurs. night were honored almost immediately - to my delight!

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2166 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 20, 15:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JT and other travelers its wonderful you missed that virus while on your visits.I live in the oldest town in Oklahoma every building downtown has been restored to it's original state of being.I guess it attracts so many visitors is why they do it.We have the soldiers Fort and soldiers housing and all those old old taverns and bars down town very small town but it sure attracts many that want to check out history.The next town over where my grandmother grew up and as a teenager worked for a movie theater called the Ritz they demolitioned it.All the old timers stood outside while they did it I found that very sad.Alot of them met their spouses their and the memories.They tried to show alot of the old time films their noone wanted to see them.So their it went.Thats great those memories can still go on .I'm not a fan of broadway but my grandparents sure were.I like old music simon and Garfunkal,Nazereth, Beatles, but I'm not a fan of Broadway or musicals.My daughter does though.Im not much into karaoke stuff either.I cant sing.I cant dance either but I can play instruments and I love instruments without words.You can make up your own words in your head that's were music starts.Im a bit nervous today I had to go out and people are throwing nasty masks and gloves everywhere.I got a basket that looked as if someone had blown their nose in a glove.Yes I'm a bit of a germ a phobic anyway .I had to get an associate to get it I sure was sorry what if a child grabbed that.

Posted: 17 Apr 20, 15:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think next time I go out to the store I will create me a head to toe body condom and go out in that .It sounds safe and lovely.

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 881 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 20, 02:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Here's the link for the weekly segment on Freddie. http://www.youtube.com/freddiemercurysolo They've finally moved past Barcelona and now are on to Freddie's appearance at the ballet. Wayne Sleep does the interview this week. I think I've seen this particular piece as part of another documentary, but it's enjoyable. I always thought Freddie was very brave to perform with the ballet.

Jo, thanks so much for the link to Marie's Crisis I can see why you would want to visit while you were in NYC, it looks like a fun bar. I've always enjoyed piano bars. I went ahead and joined the group so I could see the "living room concerts". I love that so many musicians are sharing their talents in this way now. How fun that your requests were honored so quickly. I love "Suddenly Seymour" but don't know "Being Alive." I'll have to check into that one. I love Broadway, but I did give up my series tickets for next year's season. The good thing is I was able to transfer them to my friend's daughter, so if a show comes around that I would like to see I can have her get tickets for me. EDIT: I just went and looked at the site again and watched the video of the Chorus Line opening number quarantine style. Loved it! Fun to see the dancers in their homes with so many of their kids around. http://www.playbill.com/article/check-out-the-broadway-revival-cast-of-a-chorus-line-dance-under-quarantine

Rainbow, I think it is interesting that you use Ancestry.com. I've thought about that from time to time but never followed through

Hope everyone is ok. There are some we haven't seen in a while...……..Amidds, TUHI, Lsgp, JB. I hope I didn't leave anyone out . I miss you guys!

Thereuhaveit user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 112 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 20, 18:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks Katy for wondering where the rest of us are wandering. I do check in once-in-a-while, but still have little to offer in the way of, well, much of anything. But really, nothing Queen or FM. Sheesh, I'm boring.

Glad to hear all of you who write regularly are doing well in these oddest of times. Hats off and a heart full of admiration for those who are on the front lines: health care workers, grocery workers, first responders of all sorts and stripes. They are the best of us.

I sometimes pop in to other threads on QZ or the FM threads on Quora, usually to my disgust and regret. All I can say I'm so glad this group is kind and civilized, as it gives me hope.

Well, I'm supposed to be writing something for something and I'm avoiding that because it requires too much concentration or something. I think I'll go watch birds; it's migratory season, lots of colorful warblers winging through. Maybe that'll give me the something I need to write the something. :)

Be well, all!!

MyHumanZoo user not visiting Queenzone.com
MyHumanZoo
Bohemian: 319 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 20, 18:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I hope I catch up with everything here! Thank you Rainbow for the link on the Budapest concert....I watched it today and loved it! Visually it is amazing, so well shot, the stage is awesome and lighting rig too. I liked the extras, there were several things in there that I hadn't seen before, which made me happy! I think I will invest in this one.

Katydid, I'm glad I didn't steer you wrong on the car stuff. I lived on my own for many years with a mini-farm to run so I got used to doing my own engine work on things. Not very glamorous, but necessary and it's nice to have the knowledge. And thank you for the link on Freddie Mack, I watched that the other day and it was interesting. It would be hard to try and track down all those that have posted his picture as a kid and correct it, I think that is an exercise that won't gain him anything. I don't quite understand what he is mad about though, with his statements about people misinterpreting something and his dad correcting it time and time again. What is it that was said that is incorrect?

I get his irritation with people online that jump in and explain things in Facebook posts and other social media, they state things with such certainty as if they are the residing expert. Yet they didn't know Freddie or any of the people that Freddie did! And even if they had a distant connection with some random employee or friend that had interacted with Freddie, that person can hardly be an expert on everything Freddie. It seems that people read a book or two, take away whatever explanation suits them, and decide to educate the world as to exactly what happened in Freddie's life, and how he felt about things. I just don't get that. I like how we discuss things here, where we read things, digest them, compare them to things others have said, and ultimately say that no one really knows what happened. We can decide what we *think* happened, but I feel like all of us are open and realize that we don't have all the facts and can't make a final call on anything. Ok...that's my rant for the day, lol!

Did any of you do the preorder on Rudi's book? I did, it sounds like Rudi is making a lot of progress on it. However he is doing so much other stuff now, he started a YouTube channel and now he's doing his weekly "broadcasts" which take some planning and coordination. I feel like he is a little bit ADHD...with his thoughts and ideas going all directions! I am interested though, last week he said that Brian May had been in contact with him to do a project. I really hope it is something worthwhile....some lost footage or a new video or something....or maybe something for their 50 year anniversary coming up? There are so many possibilities!

Love is still the answer, take my hand...
MyHumanZoo

Posted: 18 Apr 20, 19:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And oops....yes Rainbow, the whole reason I started learning guitar was to play those 70s Queen songs! However (and this is a big however), I quickly discovered that they are super advanced and I will probably never get to that level, sadly. Most of that early stuff was written in really strange keys...like E flat...and chords are already hard enough but then throw in all those flats and it is beyond what I can do. And I'm sure I won't ever get to some of the lead stuff and solos that Brian does. Some of the later Queen stuff is easier, and I think I will get there on those. I am going to start on Love of My Life, although Brian plays that on a 12 string guitar I can do it on my acoustic. I can do things like Crazy Little Thing Called Love and some others that are more basic. The Beatles songs are absolutely the best for learning though, most have easy keys and not a lot of different chords in them. I just learned Norwegian Wood, which is one of my favorites.

I think I am probably naturally more geared to play the bass guitar with rock songs, it is where my ear tends to go on songs and I like the rhythmic aspect. Once quarantine is over I am going to go to a store nearby and try out some bass guitars and work on that too.

Posted: 18 Apr 20, 20:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My human Zoo, This is just a suggestion about the guitar I learned piano first it's a little easier to learn difficult songs by guitar if you get the fundamentals on the piano first I dont know if you already play piano or not.I hope this helped.Crazy little thing is a really easy one isnt it I love that one not many cords.I learned some Eagles stuff my Dad loved the eagles and he taught me.He played by sound .I started with him then took lessons.

Posted: 18 Apr 20, 20:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

TuHI, I dont know how I missed your post but yes I'm glad fo see you post I enjoy reading what you write.You seem to be a lovely person.Do you like bird watching? Anything to keep you busy during these slow times.

Posted: 18 Apr 20, 21:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow, I was unlike Freddie about my Heritage there was so much I didnt know from my Indian roots being half Cherokee Indian raised by whites and not aloud to see your indian family after age 8 .I wanted to know.I was registered white at school when I knew different.I hope you have been well and you family too!Glad to see your post these are the only human contacts we have right now safe ones anyway take care.

Posted: 18 Apr 20, 21:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katydyd, I hope your well and getting what you need in during these times.Im glad to see your posts too! I love to watch ballet.Itotally love opera too! None of my friends do but I sure do appreciate a fine voice and When Freddie paired up with the Spanish lady.They looked great up there and it just was an opportunity of a life time for both.

Posted: 19 Apr 20, 00:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

TUHI, I'm glad you popped in, and my friend, you are never boring. I understand the nature of a platform like QZ is that people will come in, post a lot, and then disappear. But I'm always sad when it was someone I really enjoyed and in this time of the pandemic, I find I worry if I don't see people like you and the others I mentioned. I know people are busy, I just hope they are all ok. I identified with your statement about being unable to concentrate long enough to write something about something for something. : ) I've mentioned before that I'm a voracious reader, usually a book a week. Well, I've only read three since the beginning of March. I can concentrate when I'm reading, but I'm easily distracted and then I can't get back to it. I'll decide I need a drink, and then I'm in the kitchen, and now I need a snack, and then I have to come look on my desktop computer at what kind of snacks Amazon Fresh offers, and now that I'm on the computer I might as well look at a Kristen Hampton YouTube video ( she's hilarious, goes on a bit too long, but hilarious) and then once I'm on YouTube the sidebar videos capture my interest...………….and I never get back to the book. I know that is happening because of the current situation. I can't seem to stay focused for long on anything. And birds??? Love them. I have a robin's nest on my deck that I like to watch that. I also have some natural fiber material hanging in a tree for birds to use for nests and I spent over half an hour today watching little wrens snatch pieces of it. But I was too lazy to come upstairs to get my good binoculars so I used my cheap old Girl Scout binoculars and then I wanted to clean the drawer they were in. See? No real concentration.

MHZ I'm so glad you liked the Budapest concert. I hesitated to gush too glowingly about it because I'm well aware that I think Freddie can do no wrong and I might not be as discerning as others. One thing I did think about was that huge crowd and the fact that most of them would not have been able to see him or the band at all because they didn't have the big screens. I'm sure the audience was thrilled just to be there, but it's a good thing Freddie moves so much because at least they had to know that tiny little dot dashing around on the stage was him. I love the extras. LOL, I've already mentioned Freddie's section, but I also find John Deacon speaking to the little English girl on vacation absolutely endearing. Best moment is the Hungarian folk song and the audience reaction. Love that Freddie had written the lyrics on his hand but they were mostly erased by sweat.

Your mini-farm intrigues me and I'd love to hear more about that!

Totally agreed with your "rant". That's one of the reasons I always like to hear a source, especially for some of the more outlandish things. I don't want to repeat something that isn't based in fact.

I did not pre-order Rudi's book, so I'm very interested to hear your experience. I saw his IG Live where he explained how to order, but it felt somehow odd to me. Sending an email and committing to $10 and then waiting for a return email telling me what to do next...…….well, I almost wished he done a GFM like Thor and Lee did. So, since you did order, what happened after you sent your email??? Does payment have to be PayPal?? I too saw that he and Brian May had been in contact for a project and I'm hoping it's a new video of some sort. BTW, I decided a long time ago that Rudi is probably ADHD. I had many like him in my classroom over the years. He's probably got so much going on in his head that he can't settle down. Kinda like Freddie, huh???

MyHumanZoo

Posted: 19 Apr 20, 15:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

On the Budapest concert, I love that clip with John Deacon and the little girl too! When he spells her name for her....E M M A....be still my heart! I had not seen some of the stuff with Brian May, the hot air balloon stuff was one...and on a side note, he had on an Adidas white sweatshirt with yellow cuffs and collar, I want that sweatshirt. I am sure there are none around any more, which makes me sad!

So on the pre-order of Rudi's book, it was a bit odd but I figured I could manage losing $10 if it went weird. I sent the email and got a reply a few days later saying they would be sending another email telling how to pay, I haven't gotten that one yet. Which reminds me, I should probably check my spam folder to make sure it didn't get sent there. I sent my guess in for today's trivia question, I would like to win one of the pictures with Queen or Freddie in it. I don't really need a picture of Rudi, young or old, lol! I think most of the creative people in the world are ADHD, it really takes that mind going everywhere to come up with new things. Sadly I don't have a mind like that, although my mind is always going it is not in a creative way, really. I have a mind that can find the issues and solve the problems that come up, I am creative in that way. We all have our place, I suppose!

I have lots of stories on the farm, I am sure they will come up from time to time! I started showing horses when I was 10 and did it for years. My parents had bought 10 acres of property when I was in my teens and built a barn on it and fenced it, my dad did it all by hand and I helped him. We kept our horses there and in my late 20s I started breeding them and selling the babies. My parents had always intended to put a house there but never did, so I bought it in my early 30s and built a house. It was on a smaller scale, the most I had at any one time was 12. But for one person to manage them, plus maintaining all the fencing and pastures, as well as the barn, and throwing around bales of hay, bags of grain and sawdust and things like that...it made for a good workout! I had an old 1956 Ford Tractor that I used, with a brush hog and an auger for drilling fence post holes...all kinds of stuff that had to be maintained so I learned to do pretty much all of it myself. I changed the muffler on that old tractor, even took out and cleaned the carburetor and fuel filter! I figured as an educated person I should be able to figure it all out...so I did. And luckily the guys at Tractor Supply and such were happy to answer questions when I ran into a snag. I did all this while I worked full time too. I am still amazed sometimes at how I managed it all! I am much lazier now!

Posted: 19 Apr 20, 16:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mhz, I love horses I always had them growing up.My grandfather had a farm he raised cows and I always had a horse or horses around christmas time we would give carriage rides to the public and then he just sold all he had and just raised cows for beef and to sale.I really missed it when he sold the farm and we moved to town.I knew how to drive at 12 I used to drive those old farm trucks all over that farm those were some good times.

JB050 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 575 posts

Posted: 19 Apr 20, 20:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katy. Rainbow. And Jo T. And anyone who I might have left out. Just skimmed. :-))

Thank you for the great links!!!
Now my night is set!!!

All my best!!!!!

Posted: 19 Apr 20, 20:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katy. I just saw your post. I miss being in the regular conversation. Work weeks are flying by me in multiple deadlines which is so good. I’m really so fortunate and grateful. I can’t wait to get to watch all the cool videos you have all posted. I know it’s not Queen related so have been hesitant but it is quarantine related clever humor and good message and because we are among friends, here they are... 2 non-Queen related links that I hope bring something good. Humor, consolation, perspective, etc. :). Hope everyone and families are well

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8xB5JwdrltE

http://digg.com/video/explaining-pandemic-past?fbclid=IwAR0X7mqgUcKWQxQsEyvj7YfyBkDo8ENJiWciLbY0922jJmUE2ZoYn-np6fE

If they don’t become links, can copy in to your phone notes and they will.

Posted: 20 Apr 20, 00:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JB, so good to see you!!! Don't worry about non-Queen links. That's the reason this thread is in the Personal forum! It frees us up to talk about anything and right now, that's important. I've already said I think humor is essential in these times. I especially liked your second link. Who could have ever foreseen where we'd be at this time. How could any of us have imagined?? If you are looking for humor, try Kristen Hampton on YouTube. She demonstrates odd products that you see in those informercials or on Amazon and she is hysterical. I sit here and laugh til I have tears running down my face.

Having said that, I do really like the Queen links too. Freddie is one of my biggest escapes right now. He and Queen allow me to get completely away from what's going on. I appreciate that people continue to post links about Queen.

MHZ, I'm so impressed with your farm story! You did that by yourself?? What an incredibly strong and independent woman. I love it. You deserve to be lazier now!!

I watched Rudi today even though he was having so much trouble with the live feed. I noticed all of the comments from people saying they had not gotten the second email that tells them how to pay. $10 isn't a big risk so I may pre-order. The other thing is though, if he is going to autograph all of them before they are sent out, it might be easier to just order it from Amazon and have it quicker. I need to think on this a bit more. Did you guess correctly for the Trivia Question? I loved the answer and I would never have guessed. I wouldn't want that drawing of Freddie and Rudi as a prize though. Oddly enough, I'd love to have the young Rudi picture. I think he was gorgeous. He still has a very nice smile!

John Deacon and E-m-m-a...………..so sweet. You can tell that John related well to children. I'll bet he was a good dad.

Posted: 20 Apr 20, 00:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks Katy I’ll check out Kristen Hampton. Anyone else watch together at home show yesterday? Adam was really good. Of course.

I am with you re: Queen and how needed it is now. I am loving Brian’s online jams too.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWB4uGrUa8E

So I went out for a walk, was so good. I used to be a regular walker, This is definitely rebuilding. Haha. I had my music on shuffle and on comes in the lap of the Gods revisited, love that song, I smiled, I love those moments where it feels like a much-needs visit.

Posted: 20 Apr 20, 01:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JB, I LOVE that link you just posted. I'm so glad to see both Brian and Roger doing things like that. I'm going to expose my ignorance, are they using Zoom? I've always really liked Brian, even though I know he can be testy at times. He's earned that right.

I completely forgot the at home show yesterday until a friend emailed me right in the middle of it. I got to the tv in time to see the Rolling Stones, and I have to admit I was impressed with them. I didn't get to see Adam but surely it will be replayed at some point. I thought The Prayer at the end was beyond beautiful.

Here's the quickest Kristen video I've found There's something about her that I like. I feel like she's someone I would love to have for a friend. You'd be laughing all the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXncLjMQvAw