Forums > Personal > Friendly Chat

forum rss feed
Author

JB050 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 575 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 May 20, 19:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi all!! Wow! Can’t wait to get caught up here.
Hope everyone is doing well. Coming thru multiple deadlines..,,Need a Freddie/Queen fix.

My best to each of you!!

Posted: 08 May 20, 19:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi all!! Wow! Can’t wait to get caught up here.
Hope everyone is doing well. Coming thru multiple deadlines..,,Need a Freddie/Queen fix.

My best to each of you!!

Lsgp03 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lsgp03
Bohemian: 276 posts

Posted: 08 May 20, 19:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Getting caught up myself, I too am wondering how gardening “shreds” a gluteus maximus” ( sounds like a name in Gladiator) but regardless. That’s the butt muscle. I can see a hamstring but Gluteus?
MHZ, I am under the impression that cutting a tendon makes things worse? Surely the MD should have known what you pointed out, that cutting it would have a domino effect over time, affecting other tendons and muscles. Sounds to me all he needed was a lot of Physical Therapy, injections, pulses, electromagnetic frequencies, etc.
Seems he had the means to get several opinions within nhs and private MD’s? That’s the best advise he could get?

Or, maybe he was advised but didn’t take care of it properly, and went on tour. Only he knows for sure.

Rudi cracks me up with his little podcasts. He gets so dramatic....he speaks so slowly when introducing his own work....”And...Now...Ladies..And..Gentlemen....Here.... Is...I’m..Going...Slightly...Mad. (Fade out) hahahaha...cute

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 881 posts

Posted: 09 May 20, 01:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Attachment: 202059259413724.jpg 86 KB
This has been downloaded 11 time(s).

Posted: 09 May 20, 01:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JB, good to see you!

I'm one of those people who loves musicals! I've had Broadway series tickets since the early 90's and just this year made the decision not to renew. I did see WWRY when it came through my city this past winter. I thought it was very dated and I wouldn't go a second time, but I am glad I saw it.

I can't give a source on this, but I remember reading somewhere that Roger's town had to waive some zoning requirements in order for him to have that huge statue in his garden and the stipulation was that when and if he moved, he would have to take it with him. Here's another view of the statue.

Attachment: 202059757074363.jpg 86 KB
This has been downloaded 11 time(s).

Posted: 09 May 20, 01:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh my gosh, I need to quit while I'm ahead. Matt's article has the information about the zoning requirements. And my apologies for the double post of the picture.

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 683 posts

Posted: 09 May 20, 04:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow...I have a lot of catching up to do!

Steve...There are a few Douglas Sirk movies that I enjoy including Magnificent Obsession, All the Heaven Allows, and Written on the Wind. By the way, I must be one of the few people who LOVES reading the credits after movies. When I go to a theater, my husband and I are always the last ones out.

Katydyd...Yes, we have version in our freezer, courtesy of my husband! He used to hunt, but hasn't for a while. I don't like it, so it's all his!

Katydyd and MHZ....I have been to Niagara Falls a couple of times, but only on the American side. I did take the classic "Maid of the Mist" boat ride, which was a blast. I have been to Canada quite a bit over the years, mainly to Montreal. The last time I was there was in December to see a Christmas concert at St. Joseph's Oratory. The church was packed...over a thousand people. All the pews were filled, many people were standing in the side aisles or sitting on the floor. I can't imagine when that type of social gathering will be okay again. Makes me sad.

Lsgp...Thanks for the link to the Tokyo concert. I don't think I had seen that before. Freddie was pretty frustrated. When he threw the mic stand into the audience my first thought was, "I hope nobody got hurt". I bet everyone tried to grab "souvenirs" the band threw out. That's where being tall comes in handy!

matt Z, Katydyd, Chevy...I never tire of watching Gene Kelly do his classic "Singing in the Rain" dance in the street. One of the all-time great movie scenes. I don't like all movie musicals, but there are quite a few I enjoy. The Sound of Music is my favorite. I even went to a Sound of Music movie sing-a-long years ago, dressed as a nun! So much fun to be in the theater as everyone sang from their hearts. Many of the attendees were dressed up. After the movie, all the people who wore costumes were called up together on stage. We stood in a row as the event host went down the line and asked everyone where they were from. Being that my husband and I had traveled the farthest, about 250 miles, I won the prize...a book called "Letters to Leisl" written by Charmian Carr who played Liesl in the movie.

JB050...Good luck with your work deadlines. I just finished a huge data entry project at my job. What a relief to be done in time!

Regarding the Freddie statue. I bet if the Mercury Phoenix Trust sold life-sized reproductions of the Freddie statue that is in Montreux (the same exact height as Freddie) there would be a ton of people who would buy one to put in their yard.

Posted: 09 May 20, 14:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wish I was his neighbor. So funny how he dusts her head. Happy weekend Freddie levity

Posted: 09 May 20, 15:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Would love to see him on stage with them. How great to uplift people This way. And break free, what a full circle from banned in US to perfect anthem of the time. Love it.

Here is another one

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=emb_rel_end&v=ZEL432PVzuI

Posted: 09 May 20, 21:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Anyone else catch the live DJ on twitch. 3-hours of Queen. Was really good. Only caught about 1/2 but was really good!!

Posted: 09 May 20, 22:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow!! I love your sound of music experience!! Love that be too. Grew Up with i.

Happy Mother’s Day to all the Mom’s hope you are all being celebrated this weekend!!

Posted: 10 May 20, 00:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JB, good to see you for sure! Thanks for the laughs! That guy sure has had some fun with his time. I hope his neighbors are enjoying the show. The "live DJ on twitch?" Yikes how behind the times am I? I don't know what you are talking about.

I'll second your good wishes for Mother's Day to all!

My son in KY usually comes up with his family for a visit, but not this year. He did send a card though since they couldn't be here. I was so pleased! He has always signed cards with both his first and last name which just makes me laugh. Like I wouldn't be sure who it was otherwise. My other son and DIL were going to bring some hanging baskets of flowers for my deck, but it's still too cold here for outside flowers. Very unusual for us. Retail will be open as of the 12th, so I may go get some flowers next week if it warms up. I'm still really hesitant to go out because people seem to be acting like things are back to normal. Some of the things I'm reading make me think some of them have taken leave of their senses.

Hope you are all well.

Posted: 10 May 20, 00:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Katy. You aren’t alone. I hadn’t heard of it until today. I downloaded the app. Was free to download and create a login.

Looks like you can rewatch it. The DJ did such an excellent job.
http://m.twitch.tv/videos/616114522
It truly was the fix I needed.

People getting too “back to normal” too soon makes me really nervous too. I love your plan for flowers was smiling about how your son signs the card. That’s Cute. Sounds like it’s turned into a tradition.

Thanks a lot Rainbow for thinking about me and my deadlines. Two big ones out the door. Woo hoo!! So glad your past yours too and have a bit of a breather. It’s really great to be busy and working. It’s also great to have a small breath between deadlines. :-)))

Be well everyone.

stevendabudgie user not visiting Queenzone.com
stevendabudgie
Bohemian: 189 posts

Posted: 10 May 20, 01:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@Katydy5
@MyHumanZoo
@Chevyman

My singing does not come "naturally". it took almost two years for me to develop the capability to really regurlay hear and HIT the note played by the teacher. In that time I did not even consider practising at home because Id did not have confidence in my hearing abilitites. It was frustrating I experienced an improvement when I recorded a few exercises with my (new) teacher on tape, and started listening and humming to them every day. I depends on how much time you want to invest and your ambitions. I think most People can learn singing, if they practice over along period of time.
Those people who are called musical have been brought up with music, that´s why it flows naturally out of them. I knew two G´girls of that Kind, nonidentical twins. One had natural soul voice, the other not, but made vocally a leap after exam. She studied performign arts and played in mucsicals. She was part of the German casts of "WWRY" and "Tarzan".
It´s not a matter of Talent, but practice and ambition.

@Rainbow61

Douglas Sirk is only one of the directors on my list. I watched Capra´s "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" a few weeks ago, I liked it. my Focus is directors, John Ford, Orson Welles, Robert Siodmak, Howard Hawks etc.

@Chevyman

About two weeks ago, German-French broadcasting company ARTE aired a documentary about gays and opera titled "Opera Divas, Opera Queens". Gay musical theatre critics, directors and performers talk about their passion for opera and their adoration for one particular "diva" (Callas or others). Discovering opera had been a milestone in their finding heir gay identities. The documentary only shows males, but one singer talks about her lesbian fans. Allegedly, gays were more into airy-fairy soprano, lesbians into mezzosoprano Voices and singers. A funny anecdote: In Bayreuth, Location of Richard Wagner´s operahouse, gays tended "to get lost in the park" in front of the the operahouse after the shows There is a pavilion between the parking lot and the opera house nicknamed "Siegfried Wagner Memorial Chapel"- Richard Wagner´s son Siegfried was gay. :D

Posted: 10 May 20, 02:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Steven, have you watched any vocal coaches/teachers on YouTube analyzing performers? I got hooked into that when I discovered a teacher analyzing the voices of the group Pentatonix. From there I watched more of that type of video because I find it interesting. Since I'm not a singer in anyone's mind but my own, I don't understand a lot of the technical things, but it's still fun to watch. Here's one analyzing Somebody to Love in Montreal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6aF_LJlCuA

stevendabudgie user not visiting Queenzone.com
stevendabudgie
Bohemian: 189 posts

Posted: 10 May 20, 04:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@Katydy5

Yeah, I do watch such Videos from time to time. I watched this, for example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pTyOgwpqt8

I still find it difficult to transfer technical things in vocal lessons to a band Situation. I practice Warm-ups at home, not the actual songs. I feel some kind of resistance and hesitancy when it comes to songs. Also, the environments of lessons and home practice are pristine, while a band session is raw and loud, which can be quite irritating. I just hope something from teaching and practice sticks subconsciously and reemerges in the band rehearsals and performances

Lsgp03

Posted: 10 May 20, 05:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks JB050 for the Espanoles balcony tribute to I want to Break Free. Something tells me he might be a regular at the Montreaux Birthday celebration or Break Thru if he could.

Katy I have watched a lot of the voice coach reactions on YouTube, particularly Opera coaches and everyone was impressed with Freddie, they all ended saying the same, even if the pitch isn’t perfect, his delivery and showmanship were more important.

I’m under the impression Freddie is self taught in voice, I know he took piano lessons, but he taught himself the guitar, and I think same with voice. I wonder if he even understands what these reactions from voice coaches are saying. I believe Freddie was “winging it” One thing none of them brought up is because he had the 4 extra teeth it gave him more vocal range, and he knew that was significant for his singing.

He studied Jimi Hendrix for crowd control, I’m sure he studied voices.

Speaking of “greats” I’m sure you all heard Little Richard died today. I read Jimi Hendrix was a guitarist in Little Richards first band but fired Hendrix because he had different ideas and wanted to be the showman.

Anyway, goodnight.

Lsgp03

Posted: 10 May 20, 06:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Speaking of Roger winning the right to keep the Freddie statue, which for me it should have without contest. If he owns that land, if pays the mortgage and property taxes, then that’s his to do with. It appears he lives on a lot of land, its not sitting in the middle of London. I can see if it was Freddie that brought it to the middle of Garden Lodge which is in the middle of London/Kensington, but Rogers situation is different.

It reminds me a bit of the ongoing feud between Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page and his next door neighbor Robbie Williams. Jimmy is having to take Robbie to court every year over property issues. Seems Williams constantly building Things in the back that has blasting and such and Jimmys house is sacrosanct being its a historical house In a historical neighborhood, plus he’s always blasting Jimmy out of his own home with Williams loud music.

Interesting though, my parents who had to listen to me in my room or downstairs with the big headphones, jamming to Led Zeppelin, Queen, Stones, Who, etc, Today would tell Jimmy.....now you know how it feels.