Forums > Personal > Friendly Chat

forum rss feed
Author

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2166 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 May 20, 16:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I mainly play Gospei hymns my grandma was a music teacher at catholic school.It's a very important instrument in that faith.She also gave kids music lessons to kids at our house for extra money I was one of her students lol.I had no choice put to learn it .A Catholic cerimony is beautiful especially around Christmas time every year. I can remember looking at my grandmother at that piano at church and It seemed like she sparkled from head to toe.But that's about all I noticed because the rest of my time I spent there was misbehaving knocking on the confession door at 8 and then hiding.I was so bad.I would say the piano is my least favorite instrument but important if you go on to play others.that's where your fundamentals are taught.I played the flute from 7th grade till I graduated that's how I paid for some of my schooling Indian Ed paid part and I got a partial music scholarship.No academic scholarship for me my studies bored me stiff.

Posted: 12 May 20, 16:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I mainly play Gospei hymns my grandma was a music teacher at catholic school.It's a very important instrument in that faith.She also gave kids music lessons to kids at our house for extra money I was one of her students lol.I had no choice put to learn it .A Catholic cerimony is beautiful especially around Christmas time every year. I can remember looking at my grandmother at that piano at church and It seemed like she sparkled from head to toe.But that's about all I noticed because the rest of my time I spent there was misbehaving knocking on the confession door at 8 and then hiding.I was so bad.I would say the piano is my least favorite instrument but important if you go on to play others.that's where your fundamentals are taught.I played the flute from 7th grade till I graduated that's how I paid for some of my schooling Indian Ed paid part and I got a partial music scholarship.No academic scholarship for me my studies bored me stiff.

Amidds user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 346 posts

Posted: 12 May 20, 16:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm glad I'm not the only one a little turned off by Rudi. Don't get me wrong, seems like a really nice guy but, I have to agree with the self-promoting and withholding of the "surprise". I'm usually a very patient person, just don't like the games. Oh well, no doubt I will buy the book if it turns out to be anything new or worthwhile.

Kinda trying to find my way around these interesting convos I've missed out on so, forgive me if this had been explained......@stevendabudgie - did your comment about voice lessons refer to Freddie? Everything I've ever read said he never had any. Do you know where you heard that? If you were referring to someone else, I apologize. THAT would be a new nugget of info I'd be interesting in hearing about (if it is FM)!

MHZ, funny you mention that about flowers. At the beginning of this whole thing, i knew I would probably not be able to get out to buy my annuals, so I ordered some online. I kept getting upset that they weren't getting shipped but, every time I would think that, we'd get snow or super low temps. I was just notified they will be here tomorrow and it's really the best timing - prob saved me a lot of money had I been able to go out to buy some and the temps kept killing them. Of course, I say that and we'll get snow this weekend lol. Chicago weather is awesome :(

Posted: 12 May 20, 16:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Steven; My text was meant for you sorry about the double.

Posted: 12 May 20, 17:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds, Yes I'm glad I'm not the only Rudi critic too!I was very disappointed with him and peter's deal whatever it was.I understand they might be friends but I just got a gut feeling about the promotional stuff and then there's peter.He has said many times Freddie was his friend but I just seen him change so much with standing beside what is right to joining them if you catch my drift.He looked at a script that from his stories were didn't match at all .It makes me question his loyalty to a certain degree.It makes me wonder as a fan if Freddie were here today would he approved that script or would he have told them like he did with his masterpiece It goes out as he wrote it to go fuck themselves tell the truth.I don't know him i would like to ask some of his true friends that question.Maybe Peter was just the PA after all.This subject isn't meant for trouble but it sure does intrique me.I do believe the stories in peter's books were how things were he was being honest I just want to say that for the record.

JB050 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 575 posts

Posted: 12 May 20, 21:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds! I 2nd everything Katy said!!! Really great to hear your “voice”. Sounds like you have had a lot going on! What are you doing to the kitchen? Haha. Sounds like a great freshen-up.

That’s crazy that your daughter is experiencing cross remarks. Ugh. Good to hear that st least for now she can get back to her “usual”

That’s funny about being busier at home. So true.

Amidds and Katy — My deepest condolences. I agree it’s been heartbreaking that families can’t get to their loved ones. So glad his wife and kids were able to get there. Unprecedented times for sure.

I also, one day, will get to go back and catch up on conversations. And say hi to Steven. :-)). Seems like interesting things happening as always.

Yes Amidds for sure THE BOOK another post-shelter-in item for us all to share.

All my best To all of you.

Thereuhaveit user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 112 posts

Posted: 12 May 20, 21:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds, I'll echo what others have said: glad you're back, and safe, and condolences to you on your loss. It's tough times when you can't be in company with loved ones. Recently, I attended a funeral through Facebook. It was odd to say the least, but actually quite a lovely service with only the rabbi in physical attendance, but many conveying sweet stories about the deceased and supporting the family. Weirdly, it was quite comforting, which surprised me.

As for your flowers and your Chicago weather, you might consider following a Chicago garden blogger, Jason, at http://gardeninacity.wordpress.com/ . I follow him, he follows me, we both garden for wildlife with as many native plants as possible. You might enjoy his posts--he's fun. He also complains about the snow. That said, gardeners are their own sort of weird...

Glad to see every one is chiming in here and there, keeping well and healthy. What a nice group.

Posted: 12 May 20, 23:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

TUHI, My poor niece graduated from college and they called their names online.It's probably better safe for awhile I guess.She said I hope when I get through my other I think 4 years of college I can actually walk through an actual graduation.

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 881 posts

Posted: 13 May 20, 00:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

TUHI, I marked your garden site to look at from time to time. I'm nowhere near the gardener you must be, but I like to hear from those who garden for wildlife. The only wildlife I'm looking to attract are butterflies and hummingbirds. I would like to find some way to keep the darn raccoons off my patio cherry tomatoes I've had in the past. I hope I can find some still at the stores when I finally get out. What are you looking to attract?

Amidds, it interests me that you ordered plants online. I've considered it this year but I've been afraid they might not be good quality Please let us know what you think.

Thereuhaveit user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 112 posts

Posted: 13 May 20, 00:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katy, the site I linked to is for someone who gardens in Chicago. But I do follow his blog, as he does mine. I enjoy a wealth of good, locally owned nurseries here in Austin, so personally haven't purchased plants online, but most online nurseries and seed sources have good products. My sister-in-law (who recently purchased the house next to ours--I know, kind of odd, but also nice) purchased both a fig and plum tree from an organic nursery in California, that specializes in trees. You'd probably need to do some research, but online nurseries are mostly considered viable resources.

Chevy, I'm sorry your niece couldn't experience her graduation in person, but I'm glad all of the new graduates were safe.

Posted: 13 May 20, 18:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You guys never cease to amaze me with your sweetness! Hard to find decent people online, in my opinion, but I always look forward to talking with you all.

Thanks for the condolences, and mine go out to you all as well. TUHI, trying to wrap my mind around a FB service!! It makes sense but soooo weird! I haven't heard anything from my sister-in-law so I don't know her plans, but, I will let her know about that in case she would be interested. As far as the plants, I prob will follow the blogger just cuz I never know what to plant and when BUT, i tend to stick to 5 pots I have for some colorful annuals every year as my allergies don't allow a lot of outdoor time for me :( That's OK, I end up killing most things anyway lol. All brown thumb here!

Katydyd - I ordered them from Breck's. A few years ago, I got some tulip bulbs from them to fill in a couple of spots and they are very beautiful and hardy - even I wasn't able to kill them! This time, I ordered a hosta for a shady spot that we had to get a bush pulled from and some annuals for those pots. I will try to remember to let you know if they work out. I just got the box today and haven't really looked at them yet lol.

JB - I talked to my daughter today as she was coming home from a meeting at the hospital and we were still talking as she stopped at a store. I literally told her she was crazy! BUT, she got in and out with no comments so she must've known what she was doing. See, even at 27, your kids can't behave enough to spare our worries!!!

I just saw on Insta today that there will be a FM tribute concert played on Queen's YT channel this Friday for anyone that is interested. Not sure, but it looks like it is just a replay of the original, nothing new. Still should be fun for those who never saw it or just haven't watched it in a while. They said it's to support COVID so idk if it will be a fundraiser or what.

OK, y'all, gonna try to plant those plants and then get back to work. Talk to you soon!

Posted: 13 May 20, 23:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ventured out today because the local garden store had one, only one, of the hanging baskets I always look for because hummingbirds love them. My first time out and so embarrassed because my mask kept fogging up my glasses. I think I'm going very early to one other store tomorrow in hopes of finding a few more things. I drove by that store today and it was packed with people, very few in masks. I'm not ready to risk that.

Amidds, was it you who suggested I get the DVD of the Montreal concert with Brian and Roger providing commentary? I did and I loved it. It was like having them in the room with me talking about all the little things I love to notice. I wish they do that for every concert video.

Attachment: 20205131111907664.jpg 106 KB
This has been downloaded 12 time(s).

MyHumanZoo user not visiting Queenzone.com
MyHumanZoo
Bohemian: 319 posts

Posted: 14 May 20, 01:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds, it’s great to see you back! I’m glad your daughter is managing the hospital work, and that it appears to be lightening up. Let’s hope it does that everywhere!

I finally hung up my hanging baskets and planted my flats of flowers today, now to cross my fingers that it doesn’t freeze and that the deer don’t decide to consume them as a tasty treat!

Steven, it is amazing to see the vocal analysis, I knew that there were techniques in singing but to see which part of the throat is used for a certain sound, and how to use the cheeks and lips to vary things, it makes it different when I watch singers now. The same goes when I watch any guitar players, I just watch their fingers and strumming, etc, I want to soak it all in.

On Rudi, I like the guy but I’m growing pretty tired of the same old stuff. His backstage show doesn’t interest me a lot, I watch but don’t really pay close attention. I do find his question and answer interesting, he shared some really neat stuff about Freddie at the Days of Our Lives shoot, it was emotional. I expect that is most of what we will get in the book, stuff we already knew but we’ll get Rudy’s emotions about it.

Love is still the answer, take my hand...

Posted: 14 May 20, 15:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katy, I did not recommend that DVD but, i believe that it's on YouTube. If it's the same, it is awesome. There are a few different ones out there and I love to hear them reminisce about how they made a song, what they were thinking and feeling! Those are my favorite!

Scary that so many people don't feel the need to wear a mask or to not wear it correctly! I'm the type that always advocates for people being themselves and doing whatever they want BUT, in this case, they're choices can affect so many others in such a hugely negative way that I don't understand - it's stupidity! My office has been open since the beginning and I am only one of 2 people working from home. Mostly because my husband is in the high risk group due to his age and because I take care of my mom (she just turned 90!!). I can't help but think that, if she gets this, it will be because I exposed her to it. Why would someone want to take the chance of basically killing other people or put them through so much suffering?!?!?

MHZ - yes, I do imagine that that's exactly what Rudi's book will be which could be very interesting. Have you pre-ordered it? Has anyone? Just curious if he's given an expected release date. He makes a lot of "just finished a chapter" updates which, I think we've deduced doesn't mean what we think it does. Makes me wonder if he's getting close to finishing. Then, of course, the wait like with Thor and Lee's book with possible publishing delays!

MyHumanZoo user not visiting Queenzone.com
MyHumanZoo
Bohemian: 319 posts

Posted: 14 May 20, 15:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds, Rudi has said the book will be finished in June and out for release in the fall. Considering the increasing things he is doing with his weekly show and new stuff happening I am beginning to wonder on that timing! I did preorder, well...I sent the first email saying I would preorder about a month ago, but so far they have not sent the link for ordering yet. Apparently they are trying to figure out the best way to do it and the right bank or whatever to go through. It sounds like preorders are in the hundreds or perhaps a thousand so far. Rudi claims he will sign all of them, he doesn’t care how many. But those are the only ones he will sign. Not holding my breath on that one either!

Katy, I am the one that suggested you watch the concert with Brian and Roger commenting...I loved it! I feel like there is another one they do it on...but maybe I am thinking of the BoRap movie itself? I need to go back and look.

Love is still the answer, take my hand...

Posted: 14 May 20, 15:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Whoops, MHZ, sorry, I thought it was Amidds. I've always studied the concert videos watching for communication between the band members, little mistakes, etc. It was great having Brian and Roger point all of that out to me. I'd actually missed one song where Freddie forgot the lyrics, but covered nicely as Brian said. I've always wondered what it must have been like for them to be on stage with Freddie and if they ever gave any thought to what an incredible frontman they had in him while concerts were in progress. Watching the DVD with commentary makes it so clear that they knew exactly what they had. I'm pretty sure there is a DVD with commentary from B and R on the videos they made through the years. I've seen the individual pieces on YouTube and I may even have a DVD that I haven't looked at yet that contains those commentaries, but I'm not sure. Anyway, one of my favorites is It's A Hard Life because, to use Rogers' word, he finds it so stupid. Brian defends the song as one of Freddie's best, but doesn't have a lot of positive to say about the whole experience. I think it's fun to look for people in small roles who were important in Freddie's life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgWp78Spu6s

stevendabudgie user not visiting Queenzone.com
stevendabudgie
Bohemian: 189 posts

Posted: 14 May 20, 16:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@Amidds

My condolences.

@MyHumanZoo

It is fascinating how a subtle change in the cheeks or mouth can make a big difference in vocal quality.

@Chevyman

I envy you. I tried to learn classical piano when I was in my early twenties, very difficult. I still do not have feeling for rhythm.

Lsgp03 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lsgp03
Bohemian: 276 posts

Posted: 14 May 20, 20:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks Katyd for that link. I know they didn’t care for that stage production. Found another commentary from Roger and Brian for Radio Gaga

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk-dy-nCfEI

Posted: 14 May 20, 22:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Steven, It's never to old to learn I started when I was about three just setting beside my grandmother she made me be very still and watch her while she entertained her guests on holidays.Sometimes they would have friends over to play cards and drink a little all catholics get their drink on and she didn't drink so she would play the piano while they drank.Of couurse I would sneak out of bed and watch with enthusiasm they lived in at two level house at the time.That's how I discovered where the key to the alcohol cabinet was.I and my brother and our friends had many good times thanks to that alcohol cabinets generosity.Then there was the time we stole my grandfathers mustang he had totally restored.It ran out of gas so we just left it and had friends pick us up .Well someone came along put gas in it and stole it for real.They wreaked and totalled it.We were such bad kids especially my brother he talked me into so much mischief.I don't know why I started that conversation maybe because I had to remind him of us when his daughter took his truck without permission.

Posted: 14 May 20, 23:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for the link Lsgp. I thought I'd seen all of the commentaries, but this one seems new to me.