Forums > Personal > Friendly Chat

forum rss feed
Author

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 683 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 May 20, 14:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

An update on Brian's gardening accident...which evolved into something much scarier! I'm relieved...and shocked at the same time.

http://youtu.be/tQ-udCrlWX8

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 881 posts

Posted: 25 May 20, 15:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow, thanks for sharing that! I was stunned when I read it. I think Brian leads a fairly healthy life and this shows that heart issues can happen to anyone. I understand the sciatic pain because I have dealt with it in the past. It became all consuming for me and I ended up needed an epidural to get past it. I also have a collapsed disc in my back which causes me some problems. No wonder he was a bit depressed. I hope it goes well as he recovers. It's made me more aware of his age and that he's a treasure I want to be around for a long time.

Jo, I haven't read And the Band Played On, though I did see the movie. I'll be interested to see what you and other readers think.

I hope everyone is doing well. We've been a bit quiet here so I assume we are all busy. I was part of a drive-by birthday parade for my grandson on Friday. I don't know if this is common across the states, but in our area emergency vehicles will participate in the birthday drive-bys so he had a fire engine in his parade. He doesn't like to be the center of attention but he could not resist the fun of the parade. He was so delighted it just warned my heart. I had my DIL and a close friend by for a while on Saturday. We sat out on the deck in the breeze and just talked. It was so good to see friends in person. That's the extent of my celebration of this holiday for me. It dismays and actually angers me to see the huge crowds across the US participating in holiday fun. I haven't loved being shut in for two months now, but I'm not going to break free and go crazy! I desperately need a hair cut but I just read a good resource on activities that are safe, and hair salons were near the bottom of the list for safety. Plus I think my stylist is going to retire so I'd have to go to a new place. Nope, not yet.

Take care my friends and be well!

JB050 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 575 posts

Posted: 25 May 20, 16:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi all!

Rainbow. Thanks so much for sharing Brian’s video. I have so much respect for him. What an honest “conversation”. He went through a lot. So glad he’s on the other side of it now.

How’s everyone doing?

Did you see the Queen and Adam “you are the champions” release?

And, so exciting to see that Thor and Lee’s book is approved. Woo hoo!

I haven’t read thru recent posts yet so am probably repeating on both. :-)

JB050 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 575 posts

Posted: 25 May 20, 16:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jo T. I second that about Robert Plant’s performance at the tribute concert.

Posted: 25 May 20, 17:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Reading Brian's news was startling. I'm glad he acted quickly and didn't ignore his symptoms simply because he has a healthy lifestyle (non-smoking vegetarian who exercises and is not over-weight.) Someone who might otherwise think "I can't be having a heart attack". He truly is a treasure in many ways...a man I deeply admire.

Katydyd...Sounds like you had a nice Memorial Day weekend. Did the fire trucks spray water on people? They do that here during the 4th of July parade when it is really hot out. So glad your niece is doing better...that must have been scary for her family.

Jo T. I started reading "And the Band Played On" about 15 years ago. I completely agree with your comment about how hard it is to keep track of all the people. I recall getting about a third of the way through the book, but never finished. I have seen the movie numerous times though. The film did a nice job of capturing the fear and frustration that existed at that time, although as you said, the book (and movie) are imperfect.

I don't remember who made the comment about reading multiple books at the same time, but I have often done the same thing. Currently, I am reading the non-fiction history story "Empire of the Summer Moon" about Cynthia Ann Parker, her son Quanah Parker, and the conflict between the Comanche and settlers in Texas. It was a Pulitzer Prize finalist...totally absorbing.

Amidds user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 346 posts

Posted: 26 May 20, 14:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi everyone! Last Wed, I started going back into the office. My mother could no longer push off some tests and had to go to the hospital for them. She's fine, just regular testing, but I figured I might as well get back to work as a hospital will probably be the worst exposure for us! I was hoping that getting back to a regular routine would help me feel less discombobulated but, not yet lol!

Rainbow - the metal detecting sounds so interesting! Have you ever tried it in a national park? I don't know what the restrictions on that would be but, I imagine that might be somewhat fruitful!!

I did not watch the tribute concert though I have seen in before. I remember it being pretty cool but, whenever I hear an artist besides Freddie sing Queen songs, I tend to mentally make comparisons and can't fully enjoy. Wish I could! I have actually been out shopping when a remake of Killer Queen has been on in the store and literally stopped what I was doing cause it kinda threw me off!!!

I just heard about Brian on the news this morning. I didn't watch the YT link from Rainbow yet but I was SHOCKED! I know Brian is "older" but, never expected that!

As the Band Played On......I don't think I have read that one but it sounds like something I've been tempted to pick up a number of times. Wondering why I haven't now.....is that the one that focused on patient zero so much???? I'm sure I'm getting something confused here!

MyHumanZoo user not visiting Queenzone.com
MyHumanZoo
Bohemian: 319 posts

Posted: 26 May 20, 18:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jo T....I have just finished reading And the Band Played On...I agree it is really excellent! The level of investigation on it is just amazing. I have to also agree that it gets very confusing with the amount of people and where they are relevant. At first I referred back to try and keep everyone straight, but after a while I just stopped and usually could figure it out after a few pages, and if not I decided they maybe weren't that significant to the story. I think the most moving parts were reading about the relationships and what they all had to go through as the disease progressed, and just how loving and supportive their partners and friends were to them. It made me think of Freddie and how awful it must have been for him as his condition went downhill. And to not have any real treatments or hope, it is staggering to imagine it, and how many went through it all! The one thing that was never revealed was why the gay population with AIDS got Kaposi's Sarcoma, and yet others that got AIDS (hemophiliacs, Haitians, etc.) did not get that very often. He talked a lot about it, but no resolution. Maybe it hadn't been figured out yet when he wrote the book, I think it would be interesting to know the answer. And yes AMIDDS, this is the one that talked about patient zero a lot. It is hard to believe that anyone would be so cavalier about giving someone else a disease.

Katydid, I'm glad your grandson got a nice parade! The fire fighters and police will do the drive by celebrations here now too, it is really great for the kids. I live in the city limits so I often hear the sirens during the day and it is nice to know that someone is getting a pick-me-up!

On Brian's latest health info, I must say that is a sobering disclosure. I guess I know he and Roger are getting up there in age, but I have always figured they were getting the best care and are being healthy so they probably didn't have something like a heart attack lurking. It just goes to show that no one is untouchable and that even a clean bill of health doesn't mean we'll be ok. I hope he recovers quickly and gets back to playing and feeling like his old self again soon.

Love is still the answer, take my hand...

Posted: 27 May 20, 00:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I just stuck And The Band Played on in my Amazon cart, but I'll have to think about it for a while. I think I tried to read it once before and got bogged down. I rarely quit on a book though so that would have been unusual for me. I know I saw the movie. Currently I'm plodding through a book about the Tudors and I'm often confused about who some of the people are. Luckily I know the history well enough that I can skim over a lot of the intrigue and just get on with it.

MHZ, I know what you mean about Brian and Roger's age. I do think about it sometimes. It's one of the reasons I made it a point to get to the Queen+AL concert last summer. I'm so grateful I did because who knows if they will be able to tour again.

Rainbow, we did a tiny bit of metal detecting at the shore years ago, but never found much of anything. I've often thought that going south of here for a couple of hours might yield some Civil War finds.

Posted: 27 May 20, 07:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds...Metal detecting in a national park would be fascinating, however, detecting on federal properties such as National Parks, National Historical Sites and Monuments, and Native American Lands is a felony. You can be fined up to $10,000 and possibly go to prison! It is illegal to even have a detector at those sites. Having said that, the National Park Service has often utilized the skills of volunteer metal detectorists to find artifacts in battlefields and other historic sites during controlled archaeological surveys. I have never done anything like that before, but would gladly participate if I had the opportunity.

Katydyd...I would love to find Civil War artifacts if I had permission to detect on someone's private property. Alas, I don't live anywhere close to where Civil War history took place!

Chevy...Coloring books for adults are very popular. I have a few, but never use them. The ones I have are far too detailed and drive me nuts!

Katydyd...I still hold out hope that Queen+AL will tour again in the US. However, now that their European tour dates have been pushed back a year, I suppose that is less likely. If they do return, I would probably go to more than one show this time. I thought about, then dismissed, seeing them in NYC after the show I saw outside of Boston last year. At that point, only resale tickets were available and they were ridiculously priced. Also, finding a place to stay outside of NYC, taking a train in, getting to the venue (walking a ways or possibly taking the Subway) and then repeating that after the show was just WAY too complicated and overwhelming for this small city gal.

MHZ...I just watched a great interview on YouTube with Laurie Lynd, the writer/director of a 2019 film entitled "Killing Patient Zero". The purpose of the film is to correct the harm that Lynd believes was done to Gaetan Dugas' name. Lynd talks about "And the Band Played On" and Randy Shilts (a man he greatly admires). I have never seen Lynd's film, but the interview was interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr_C-YW5YE8

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2166 posts

Posted: 27 May 20, 13:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I saw the movie and the band played on but didn’t read the book the movie had a slow start. I noticed that it was so much like a puzzle as they had no clue but finally figured out it was being sexually transmitted. It’s a very good reference book for those wanting to learn about the origins of that virus.Good choice in books JT!

Posted: 27 May 20, 17:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow, My heart does go out to Gaetan”s family it must be terrible to watch your family suffer like that and be falsely accused. He was so cooperative with them it really helped them figure out they were dealing with a disease that was sexually transmitted. Someone had to give it to him though and the person before that so really he just wasn’t the villain they claimed him to be. I’m glad they did this for his family I respect their silence a friend of his said he was one of the most kind giving people you could ever meet.i forget it was on utube somewhere. He wasn’t doing anything in my opinion that anyone else wasn’t and it’s good he was so kind and helped the investigation.As far as him knowingly infecting other men I doubt he did I think at first they thought eit was cancer . so no one was taking precautions if anything because of his picture I think a lot of people started using condoms but sadly for many it was too late.

Posted: 27 May 20, 17:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow, My heart does go out to Gaetan”s family it must be terrible to watch your family suffer like that and be falsely accused. He was so cooperative with them it really helped them figure out they were dealing with a disease that was sexually transmitted. Someone had to give it to him though and the person before that so really he just wasn’t the villain they claimed him to be. I’m glad they did this for his family I respect their silence a friend of his said he was one of the most kind giving people you could ever meet.i forget it was on utube somewhere. He wasn’t doing anything in my opinion that anyone else wasn’t and it’s good he was so kind and helped the investigation.As far as him knowingly infecting other men I doubt he did I think at first they thought eit was cancer . so no one was taking precautions if anything because of his picture I think a lot of people started using condoms but sadly for many it was too late.

Jo T. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jo T.
Bohemian: 161 posts

Posted: 27 May 20, 17:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

R.I.P. Larry Kramer!

@stevendabudgie, till you recommended the documentary "How to Survive a Plague" last year, I learned about the AIDS activist/writer for the very 1st time. Thank you!

@MHZ, OMG, you're done reading the 600-page "And the Band Played On" already? I'm only halfway through it. Larry Kramer figured so prominently in the book. After I get done reading it, I'll start on Kramer's works.

I'm very saddened, but at least Mr. Kramer got to live to the age of 84, through the help of modern medicine (antiretroviral therapy or ART). He himself was HIV(+). BTW, he passed away from pneumonia. I copied and pasted below Dr. Fauci's comment about his late friend on 5-27-20.:

“This is a very, very sad day. It’s the passing of a true icon,” Fauci told The Associated Press, saying he was glad that he’d recently had a chance for a last phone call with Kramer. “I had a very long and complicated and ultimately wonderful relationship with him over more than three decades,” Fauci said. “We went from adversaries to acquaintances to friends to really, really dear friends.”

Posted: 27 May 20, 18:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My Human zoo, Brian’s ordeal is quite scary all my dads 8 siblings have stents or some kind of heart surgery and diabetes he doesn’t though. one brother has CHF and had a bad heart attack and still doesn’t watch his fluid intake.Indians are pretty bad about being diabetic and having heart disease but Brian was the picture of health.

Amidds user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 346 posts

Posted: 27 May 20, 18:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow - that's too bad about the national parks! Make sense on their part but, that's where I would want to do it! Kind of like, if I ever had the opportunity, I would love to participate in an archeological dig!!! I know it's not the same but I feel like the excitement in finding something good would be the same :)

Gaetan Dugas - that's the name I couldn't think of before regarding the book! Geez, he and John Murphy really got the raw end in the older reporting didn't they? It's nice to see people are still trying to clear up the info but, like most things online, once it's out there, you can't really stop it!

I just may have to grab that book now with how you all talk about it!!!

Finally watched the Brian May that Rainbow posted. Poor guy had a series of really bad luck huh? So glad that he seems to be getting over all of that! I had a herniated disk about 1 1/2 yrs ago, the month before my daughters wedding. I was able to attend the wedding w/o any pain as long as I didn't twist or dance, thank God! The herniation was severe enough to pinch 2 nerves which still cause me problems. No pain but I'm still somewhat limited in lifting, certain movements so, I can only guess that Brian may have a long road ahead of him and may have to alter his lifestyle a little. Even so, he's very fortunate to be getting over the pain and have his heart problem seemingly resolved!!!

MyHumanZoo

Posted: 27 May 20, 18:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katydid, I saw them last summer too, and for the exact same reason. I thought this may be my last chance. I saw them once in Columbus and it was so good I actually traveled down to Charlotte and caught their last US show. I have to say, I never dreamed it would be as good as it was. I didn’t stop smiling the whole time...and I don’t think I slept the night afterward either, I was so jacked up!

Rainbow, thanks for that link. I did feel like the guilt placed on Dugas in the book was excessive, Shilts really hammered that in. I remember thinking that no one could be quite that callous, but then with the level of deep investigation it seemed like there had to be some truth to it. As much as Shilts went into so much detail, with so many interviews and such, I think some is probably true....in fact they even say in that video clip that Dugas could remember 72 of his sexual partners which made him good for the study. But like all stories, I have a feeling that his actions were not really to the extent (and not as villainous) as Stilts made it to be either. As all things, the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle! I need to find the movie and watch it now.

For those of you that like hearing Brian and Roger narrate things, below is a link to them narrating their greatest hits. It’s fun to hear their input! Hopefully it works, I’m not great with links!

https://youtu.be/RssxnOgslig

Posted: 27 May 20, 21:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MHZ, The movie is on utube the whole entire thing. Just click in the title.

Posted: 27 May 20, 23:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jo T, you mentioned ATBPO is 600 pages. I took it right back out of my cart. I'm not adverse to big fat books, but the book I'm currently reading is close to 700 and I'm just not ready to take on another one. Plus, I do think I either read or attempted to read it years ago.

MHZ, I'm trying to think when I "met" you. I think I first became aware of you on the book thread, rather than on Thor's old threads, right? I'm asking because I saw Queen+AL in Columbus too! We could have met for dinner or something before the concert. I was up way high in the arena. How about you? We considered staying in the city because we had kind of a long drive home and it was late at night, but like you, we were so jazzed there wasn't a moment of tiredness! I'm so glad I got to see them.

MyHumanZoo

Posted: 28 May 20, 16:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Chevy, I was talking about seeing the Band Played On movie, is the link for that one there? I must admit, I never look to see how big a book is when I get them on Kindle, so I didn’t know the book was 600 pages. I just kind of monitor as I read, and when I noticed it took about 6 hours to read 1% of the book I realized what I had done, lol!

Katydid, I can’t believe we were both at Columbus! We definitely could have met up. I was sitting about halfway up on Brian’s side of the stage, I wanted to be as close to him as I could afford. Now I kind of wish I was farther back to see the screens and also see the guys when they came to the end of the center aisle part of the stage and sang Love of My Life, etc. but it was still fantastic. We stayed out in a suburb town, can’t remember the name at the moment. We didn’t want to pay the expensive downtown hotel prices. The next day we drove over to the tennis tourney in Mason, I was tired but we had a blast there too. I think you and I first met on the book thread, I didn’t really participate much on Thor’s thread.

Posted: 28 May 20, 16:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MHZ, I just got around to listening to the link you shared of Brian and Roger narrating Queen's greatest hits. I LOVED it! Thanks for sharing. The stories they tell add so much to the music and it's just so obvious how close they all were. They speak of Freddie with such affection. This is exactly the type of thing that appeals to me. I'm so interested in the back stories of the band. I can't believe I almost missed your link because this was a delight. I'm sharing it again just in case others can't find it:

http://youtu.be/RssxnOgslig

I really am sorry we missed the chance to meet at the concert. And you were practically in my backyard at the tennis tournament. Funny how lives cross...…………..We were dependent on the screens to see a lot of the action because we were up a ways., but I didn't care. If I'm picturing the arena correctly we were in the first section up from the floor, hmmmmm, or maybe the middle section up from the floor.It didn't circle the whole arena, just the area directly in front of the stage. Definitely not the nose bleed section, I wont do those. Wherever we were, there were people just to our left sitting at high top tables and waitresses were bring them food and drinks. I count it as the best concert I've ever been to and I"ve been to a fair amount.