Forums > Personal > Friendly Chat

forum rss feed
Author

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2166 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 May 20, 17:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MHz, Go to utube type in and the band plays on movie and the entire movie pops up to watch.

MyHumanZoo user not visiting Queenzone.com
MyHumanZoo
Bohemian: 319 posts

Posted: 29 May 20, 14:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katydid, I’m glad you liked the commentary from Brian and Roger, I love those too! I really wish they would do it on more things, it can’t take long and it is so interesting and entertaining.

I was in the first section above the floor at the concert too, just way on the right side. We were right on the aisle so I was able to get up and dance around, it was such a blast! I have been to a decent number of concerts, but this is this first rock type concert in quite a few years. I think my very first concert was seeing Loverboy waaaayyyy back when!

Love is still the answer, take my hand...
Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 683 posts

Posted: 29 May 20, 22:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MHZ....Thanks for the link to the Brian/Roger greatest hits song discussion. I had never seen that one before...watched it a couple of nights ago and enjoyed it very much! Brian and Roger talk about Freddie with such warmth and respect. In addition, I find their voices very relaxing.

Katydyd and MHZ...When I saw Queen in Montreal, I was half way up on the left side. In Connecticut, I was about half way up on the right side (Brian's side). We had a direct view of the part of the stage that projected into the audience for both of those shows. For the concert at the Xfinity Center outside of Boston last year, I was a little more than half way back, slightly left of center from the front of the stage. All of the seats were pretty good, but I did rely a lot on the big screen. I would definitely pay more to sit closer the next time (fingers crossed) they tour in the US/Canada. Without a doubt, last year's concert had the best crowd energy and is my all time favorite show!

My first rock concert was "Cheap Trick"...about 40 years ago. Yikes....where did the time go?

Posted: 30 May 20, 20:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow, I here you my First concert was kiss in 1991 I think. I was 17 years old it was a blast I can still remember in art class painting all their faces on ceramics. I thought I was so cool. I also did masks of the house of pain they were pretty wicked. I wanted desperately to go to a Metallica concert but I never got too I loved that song enter sandman. I used to listen to some way out their. That was long ago I’m old and so are all those artists lol.

Posted: 30 May 20, 20:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wish I had the privilege to have been old enough to attend a Queen concert but when they were touring the US I was maybe 8 or 9 When is the last time they toured in the US?

Posted: 30 May 20, 20:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I know this is off the subject but heavy on my mind their were two missing toddlers sister and Brother in Tulsa Oklahoma about 2hours from me. They finally drained a pond and found both their little bodies this saddens me their mother went to sleep and left them awake in the house. They got out and this tragedy happened. I keep my grandson a lot I go to sleep he goes to sleep right beside me you can’t second guess a small child. This is incredibly sad.

MyHumanZoo user not visiting Queenzone.com
MyHumanZoo
Bohemian: 319 posts

Posted: 01 Jun 20, 15:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Chevy, that is so sad about those children, my heart goes out to the family! I had a crazy experience the other day, I heard pounding on my door, like crazy urgent pounding, and there was a young boy about 10 or so babbling about his baby sister, she was gone and his mom went for a jog and his dad took off and the boy was absolutely frantic because they have a big pond on their property. it sounded at first like his dad had come and taken off with the little girl, but it was hard to tell because he was in a panic and hard to understand. I finally figured out where he lives and I know his parents, they are the nicest people and would never do anything harmful, so we got in my car and drove over to his house. He told me his dad had gone to the store to get something for a problem in the house he was fixing. I was pretty sure his dad had taken the little girl with him to the store, but I checked all over the property around the pond and such and tried calling his dad, who didn't answer. A few minutes later his mom arrived back from her run and she said dad had taken the little girl to the store (local hardware store where you can't get cell service inside). All was ok, it was just that the boy didn't realize that dad had his sister and thought she had come to harm, poor little guy! He was just sobbing, I told him it was all ok and he did the right thing to come and find me. I'm glad it all had a happy ending, I was praying the whole time that I would not find that little girl floating in the pond. It took a long time for my heart rate to go down after that!

I finished the Into the Wild book that you guys recommended, it was good. So what is the thought on this....do you guys think he realized going into his Alaskan hike that he would probably die? I am just flabbergasted that he would not prepare more fully for something like that...not having the right equipment or training or anything, it sure seems like a death wish. He was obviously quite smart, so he had to have known what could happen without adequate prep, wouldn't he? I have to say I just don't understand that wandering life of having nothing and living on the edge. Although I would love to be able to travel to all those places and hike them, see the land and camp and live out in the wild for a while and experience that peace and beauty, I would not do it without money, resources, and food, lol!

Love is still the answer, take my hand...

Posted: 01 Jun 20, 20:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MHZ, I’m glad the boys sister was okay I looked after my brother too we had a pond too when I was 6 and he was 2 my parents were always preoccupied if you catch my drift. So he was like my child I did most of the watching. Hope everyone is having a lovely day it’s gorgeous outside.We have been missing TUHI I hope she is just busy with summer or bird watching I gave up on that I can’t be still enough.I’m way too hyper for that ever time I go out they fly away the only thing that sticks around is the neighbors dog that try’s to jump my leg. I’m the only one he does to lol!

Posted: 01 Jun 20, 20:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I meant hump my leg lol

stevendabudgie user not visiting Queenzone.com
stevendabudgie
Bohemian: 189 posts

Posted: 01 Jun 20, 20:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@MyHumanZoo

I neither read the book nor watched the movie, but the story is interesting. It sounds like he he had been a spiritual person and felt alienated from society for years. He might have lost grip on reality, slipping into a psychotic episode. Maybe he was unhappy with his life, but did not know any alternatives to life style. Maybe he wanted a brush with death leading either to an epiphany or his death.

I myself would never go into the woods on my own, let alone. without enough resources.

Posted: 01 Jun 20, 23:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MHZ...Wow...That was a frightening story! Kudos to your young neighbor who sprang into action and to you for being such a calming presence. I feel bad for him though...that unpleasant memory will stay with him forever. I guess the dad should have let him know he was taking his sister with him. Also, I can't imagine how you felt while walking around that pond. That is just terrifying.

I have only seen the movie "Into the Wild" and have not read the book. I have read some articles about the story though. Opinions about Chris' adventure are quite varied. Many idolize him as an idealistic free-spirit, an adventurer who lived life on his own terms, throwing off the restraints of a materialistic society to live freely in the beautiful Alaskan wild. His abandoned bus has become a mystical shrine, inspiring thousands of hikers to pay homage over the years. On the other hand, some believe that Chris was wholly unprepared to live off the land in a place as harsh and unforgiving as the Alaskan wilderness, and as such, he is looked upon with some disdain....his bus being seen as a shrine to stupidity. I wonder what the opinion is of Alaska State Police, National Park Service rangers, or local Fire/Rescue Department personnel who have to save "McCandless Pilgrims" who get sick, hurt, or lost in their attempt to reach the bus? Just this past February, five hikers had to be rescued...one with severe frostbite to his feet. Crossing the river can also be quite treacherous...a couple of women have drowned attempting to do so.

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 881 posts

Posted: 02 Jun 20, 00:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MHZ, your story about your neighbor is frightening The good thing is that the young boy knew to come to you for help. That says something about you. I'm glad it all worked out. Kids are so fascinated by water and it's imperative to set rules and watch them constantly.

I read "Into The Wild" some time ago and I remember admiring the free spirit and courage, but by the end of the book I was almost angry at Chris for his complete unpreparedness to live off the land. His story should be a cautionary tale but for too many, it encourages them to take risks.

Speaking of books, I was perusing Queenonline.com because I've been looking for face masks with a Queen theme. I do have one Freddie Mercury mask but I'd like another. While looking I discovered there is a new book coming out in October. I believe the title is Queen- The Neal Preston Photographs. According to the description there are over 300 photos of concerts and behind the scenes with the band. Apparently Brian and Roger are also contributing. The page said the book is available for pre-order, so I checked Amazon. I want a bit more information about the book before I order, but I thought the price of $40 was pretty reasonable for a coffee table book. Here's the link:
http://www.amazon.com/Queen-Neal-Preston-Photographs/dp/1909526711/ref=sr_1_1?crid=TQ0OSJX4WR1F&dchild=1&keywords=neal+preston+queen&qid=1591057316&sprefix=Neal+preston+%2Caps%2C133&sr=8-1

Does anyone know any further details about the book? There are some thumbnail photos from the book on the Amazon page and I have seen most of those photos before. One photo of Freddie and Mary was new to me though it had appeared on FB earlier this week.

Jo T. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jo T.
Bohemian: 161 posts

Posted: 02 Jun 20, 02:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@MHZ, I finally got done reading Randy Shilts’ “And the Band Played On” today. I feel like I had completed a literary marathon (Yes, Katydyd5, it was indeed over 600 pages.)! When I read that you (MHZ) had completed the book already, I quickly sprang into action! LOL BTW, I have yet to see the movie. Are you aware that both Dr. Robert Gallo (His team at the National Cancer Institute in the U.S. demonstrated that HIV was the virus that caused AIDS.) and Dr. Luc Montagnier (His team @ the Pasteur Institute in France were the 1st to isolate the HIV virus.) from the 1987 book are still alive today? 83-year-old Dr. Gallo and 87-year-old Dr. Montagnier were interviewed in separate interviews about COVID-19 about a month ago. You can catch the interviews on YouTube, except I couldn’t understand the French for Dr. Montagnier. We’re well-aware that 79-year-old Dr. Anthony Fauchi, who was mentioned in the book, is alive and well today, but 84-year-old Larry Kramer passed away on 5-27-20. I would love it if Drs. Fauci, Gallo and Montagnier work together and live long enough to find effective treatment and/or develop a vaccine for COVID-19! Again, it’s crazy – and scary - the parallels between today’s coronavirus pandemic and HIV/AIDS in the early ‘80s. From the book, I was appalled at the blood banks’ greed (including the venerable American Red Cross) and how resistant they were to testing donated blood, as well as the U.S. government’s initial apathy to HIV/AIDS, because AIDS affected mainly the “4 H’s” as referenced in the book (homosexuals, Haitians, heroin IV-users and hemophiliacs) vs. mainstream America. It was hard to read about the horrendous AIDS deaths and the impacts on their families and friends.

@Amidds, yes, Patient Zero or Patient 0 was mentioned in detail in “And the Band Played On.” However, the name John Murphy was NOT mentioned at all in the Shilts’ book. The “O” in Patient 0 was meant to be “O” for “Out of California,” not zero. Gaetan Dugas was a Canadian citizen vs. a U.S. citizen, a California resident. However, the letter "O" got mistaken for the numerical “0” or zero, hence Patient 0 (zero). Even though he was no saint (He continued to have unprotected sex in bathhouses, even after he was warned by medical professionals he could spread HIV. It was probably due to denial and anger.), it was later proven scientifically many years later that Gaetan was inaccurately identified as the person who introduced AIDS to North America. Even though I greatly admire Shilts as a journalist, he should never have “outed” Gaetan Dugas' name. I don’t believe Shilts shared Gaetan’s name for malevolent reasons. He felt it was for the greater good and for truth in journalism, but he should’ve respected Gaetan Dugas’ privacy. His name was unfairly maligned due to unintentional inaccuracy.

@Rainbow61, I watched the YouTube video you shared of the interview of Laurie Lynd, Canadian writer/director, of the 2019 documentary “Killing Patient Zero.” I haven’t seen the documentary but would be interested. I esp. would like to see his next project, a feature documentary about journalist Randy Shilts, after it’s completed.

I’m one of the ones who had read journalist Jon Krakauer’s “Into the Wild” and saw the movie based on the book. MHZ, if you’d like a book recommendation, I’d recommend Krakauer’s excellent, non-fiction “Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster,” where he was a member of a group of mountain climbers who scaled Mt. Everest in 1996, and many of them perished in a storm during the descent. I own both the paperback version and later on, I bought the hardcover edition that included awesome photos. About “Into the Wild,” Christopher McCandless was only 24-years-old when he died. Do I feel he was ill-prepared and foolish to venture into the Alaskan backcountry on his own? Yes, but he was also young, idealistic and romantic. He was a dreamer. Weren’t we all – or many of us - or was it only me? LOL Darwin had mercy. I was spared.
When you’re young, you feel invincible and take unnecessary risks. I read the book back in 2007, not long after the movie came out, so my memory isn’t fresh. I don’t recall feeling Chris was self-nihilistic or depressed and suicidal. I believe he wanted to live.

Posted: 02 Jun 20, 02:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katy, I don’t know if it’s a fact but someone said on another thread they are photos they had seen before but 300 is a lot of photos so I’m not sure.

Posted: 02 Jun 20, 02:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

People are gonna need 5 coffee tables by the time all these lovely books come out . I also think Dugas should’ve had his privacy if anything they had no clue and he helped them out tremendously.I do think he should’ve followed advice about the bathhouses. But truly no telling how many strains of the virus a person would be infected with and if they have had several sexual partners I’m talking 50 or more.Good evening and sleep well.

Posted: 02 Jun 20, 06:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jo T. I agree with you about one's youth being more of a risk-taking time. I did things years ago that I would never do now. When I was 18, I went on an overnight backpacking trip deep into the Adirondacks with several others. I was part of an Outdoor Club. It was February! We hiked through the mountains and had to snowshoe across a lake to get to our destination. We slept in an open lean-to that night. It was freezing out, but at the time it was an exciting adventure. I also used to bike out to a local beach at night and go swimming in the dark...by myself. I never once felt uncomfortable doing that. I also doubt Chris McCandless embarked on his journey considering it could turn out the way it did. The recklessness of youth can be dangerous...and in his case, deadly.

Katydyd....I saw the announcement of the new Neil Preston photograph book coming out in October. I'm sure the pictures will be beautiful and I do enjoy looking at Queen photo books, but I'm not sure I will order that one yet. I may wait to hear what others think first! One of my favorite picture books is "40 Years of Queen" but that's because of the many little pockets throughout the book filled with fun memorabilia items.

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 881 posts

Posted: 02 Jun 20, 12:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow, I agree that youth is a time of risk-taking. I did some things then that make me wonder what I could possibly have been thinking. It made me cold just to read about your backpacking trip. I'm assuming you had a special cold weather sleeping bag. My eldest son went camping in Canada in the winter with the Scouts and I remember we had to buy a very expensive thermal (?) sleeping bag. I can't imagine snowshoeing across a frozen lake. I'm sure it was safe but I have a phobia about crossing ice that I just realized as I was writing this, comes from a poor choice I made in my childhood. It turned out ok, but could have been very serious. To this day I can't watch a movie scene where someone breaks through the ice. Biking to a lake and swimming alone??? Clearly, you don't read crime novels. : )

As for the Neil Preston book, I looked at the link again this morning and the price has changed and is now aligned with what I had heard about the book. I also did some Googling about Neil Preston and am impressed with his body of work. We will have seen most of the photos but I like the idea of a collection of his work. There will be some new pictures, but most will be familiar. The photo of Freddie and Mary looking at slides together was new to me and I think there will be other new pictures, though many may leak to the internet before the book comes out. I feel myself leaning towards purchasing the book for myself for Christmas.

Amidds user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 346 posts

Posted: 02 Jun 20, 13:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow MHZ - what a scary story! So glad it had a happy ending and he had such a nice neighbor to help him! I'm sure some people wouldn't have wanted to "get involved" :(

Jo T. - the points you mentioned about patient 0 is exactly why I avoided reading that book. While I hope Shilts had the best of intentions, Dugas and his family had gone through so much due to this "error" that I find it hard to read those references after he has now "been cleared".

Katydyd - I haven't heard anything about that book, thanks for bringing it up! I, too, will wait until I have heard more. I had gotten pretty excited about a couple of re-releases last year and bought a couple (The Treasures of Queen being one example) and was pretty disappointed. Plus, I feel as if
people like to say "never before seens pics" and I've seen them all....many times....I don't know if they're baiting people or I am too obsessed that I've seen it all lol. Keep us updated if you find out more.

Chevy - I laughed at your comment about having to get multiple coffee tables for these books. I only have one and don't have more room for tables, I might have to get my hubby to reinforce the one we have ;)

Posted: 02 Jun 20, 13:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I too took some crazy risks as I was in my youth. There was a cliff where we all partied in the summer it was called pure hell and we would jump off of it. One of my friends took the dare and jumped broke his neck on the way down and to this day is a Quad in a wheel chair. He was in a nursing home a while meet his wife there she was his nurses aide. She was his angel and still is today. I feel guilty it was my idea to go out there but yes when we are young we take risks I was 17.

Posted: 02 Jun 20, 14:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds, I felt so bad for Dugas people say he was a great friend and very giving . He helped them .No telling how long it would’ve took them to figure it out. He was right if he got by sex someone gave it to him. I just feel your sex life is your own buisness . Men went to bars to socialize with other men and dance and express themselves. I don’t see why that was anyone’s buisness you know. Then this plague came out and they just had to be the only ones with it because they were having more sex .Well I just think even with all the knowledge today they still catch a lot a lot of the blame.It was nuts to ask these men to remember all the sexual partners they have had. If you have casual sex you don”t always get a name and a number especially if the hookup was not satisfying lol.