Forums > Personal > Friendly Chat

forum rss feed
Author

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2166 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Jun 20, 14:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ok the books here it goes I had a friend say it’s a free market so I’m gonna put my pennies thought in.I do believe these other two books coming out have a lot of collaborations with Queen productions and Jim Beach boy genius himself.I do think these books are coming out now as a ploy for sales in completion with Thor and Lees book. There I said it. I think what they are doing is a dirty thing to do.However, The fans want to know more about that intimate side of Freddie Thor and Lee got them over a barrel on that one. The others got his professional side that has been talked to death nothing new. They really didn’t know Freddie I don’t believe he still had his mask on he was pretending when he was around them. He was being the great pretender lol.Freddie was full of people inside himself.I believe only the guys saw the real him.

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 881 posts

Posted: 02 Jun 20, 15:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds, his publisher isn't advertising the Preston book as "never before seen" photos. Rather it's a restrospective of a rock photographers work with Queen over the years. Preston has published three other books of his photographs including one on Led Zepplin and two others that appear to be various artists both in concert and life. I enjoy photography books and the fact that this one happens to be based on Queen only increases my interest. Here's the picture of Freddie and Mary that was new to me. While many of his photos are already favorites of mine, the hope that there might be a few gems like this encourages me. Most likely I'll purchase this book based on his pure talent, and if I do I'll let you know what I think. You'll have to wait for October though. : )

Attachment: 2020621484720467.jpg 76 KB
This has been downloaded 15 time(s).

MyHumanZoo user not visiting Queenzone.com
MyHumanZoo
Bohemian: 319 posts

Posted: 02 Jun 20, 18:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jo T, you must have ripped through that book pretty fast! I actually just watched the movie yesterday (thank you Chevy) and it was good, it really condensed a lot of info into a meaningful movie. It was quite interesting that at the beginning a group going to look at a bath house walked right by a poster with Freddie on it, and then when they were in the bath house itself they played Play the Game the whole time in the background of that scene! Sending a subtle message there...I suppose. I still marvel at the parallels between Covid and the AIDS virus. And the misinformation that comes out...of course when something new like this happens they are really just guessing on transmission modes, etc. And on the Krakouwer book (pretty sure I slaughtered that spelling) I finally realized why the name was so familiar, when you said the book Into Thin Air was by him it hit me...I actually heard him speak a few years ago! He spoke at a national sales meeting my company had and talked about his hike on Everest, it was fascinating.

On the Preston book, I saw that was coming out for preorder, I haven't decided on that one yet. I saw that it was supposed to have some photos not seen before, so I am tempted to get it. I have never been one much for photo books, but if it has some good narrative in it then I might go for it. I don't think that they are in any way trying to compete with Thor and Lee's book, I'm not even sure they would have an idea that was coming out. I think everyone is just capitalizing on the resurgence of Queen after the BoRap movie. Since Queen has now been discovered by a new and younger audience that is thirsty for info on Queen and Freddie, this is the perfect time to come out with something. Rudi is doing the same thing..in fact now he is talking about maybe doing a Brian book and a Roger book....I have a lot of doubts that will ever happen though!

Love is still the answer, take my hand...
MyHumanZoo

Posted: 02 Jun 20, 18:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And one other thing I was going to mention on Chris McCandless and his Alaskan hike...It has been shown that the male brain does not fully mature until age 25, meaning they have trouble with impulse control until that age. Which is why you see so many young men doing foolish things...and why their auto insurance rates are so much higher, lol! They not only are having impulse control, but the raging hormones of youth can drive them to do things that they would never do later in life with a clear head. So you have to wonder how much all of that played into his actions.

Posted: 02 Jun 20, 19:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MHZ, your correct men don’t fully mature till later in years that’s one reason I do like my male friends older I’m 46 and I prefer to have male friends in their late sixties early 70s even. I love to here their stories and love taking in their wisdom. They usually have good advise they don’t steer you wrong they have been there. At one point in my marriage of 27 years I had considered jumping ship I’m an impulsive person as well. I had a older guy friend that told me to not do that the grass isn’t greener on the other side of the fence. Well I listened and he was right. So you can learn a lot from fellas a few years ahead of you men your age lack sense I just can’t connect with them at all.

Posted: 02 Jun 20, 19:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As far asPreston”s book I think if it sparks your interests we are all individuals with different curiosities and many of you are avid readers and that’s a good thing.Looking at old photography is captivating. I personally like looking at. Paintings. Indian art is my passion but Japanese art is beautiful too.

Posted: 03 Jun 20, 12:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good morning!
I'm going to volunteer to be the guinea pig for all of you on the Preston book. : ) I'll go ahead and pre-order it based on my enjoyment of photography books in general and my love of Queen. I have not pre-ordered Rudi's book based only on his lack of organization. I fully intend to purchase it when it becomes available because I think it will be loaded with both professional and personal stories. I passed on Never Boring and Treasures of Queen so I'm ready to take this one on. It won't be released until October, but I'll let you all know what I think then!

Posted: 03 Jun 20, 13:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good morning to you guys! As I lay last night I was thinking about the first thread started by Thor just wanting to connect and maybe get to know some of the people his friend held so high and gave so much thanks for everyday.It had been many years with him not under the public radar able to lead a normal life. Well with the book and all him and Lee both have been put through the ringer. I asked myself is any other of the book Authors catching this much abuse or hell from writing a little coffee table book of memories. I think not what would Freddie think sure the fans were important to him but going back looking at those garden lodge tapes he loved his boys too. I leave it here for honest open messages today without judgement.

Amidds user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 346 posts

Posted: 03 Jun 20, 13:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katydyd, I did it again, typed faster than my thoughts. I didn't mean to imply that Preston advertised it that way, I've just learned over the past year to be a little patient and wait for more info. At least, I try!!! Also, I would just be surprised IF there was anything new. It seems as if most pics are probably out there already after all this time. Of course, Thor and Lee's book would be the exception as they are from a personal collection that were apparently put away until now. So, thanks for being the guinea pig!!! I REALLY hope it's something new! With the holdup on Thor and Lee's book, I would love to have a book that isn't the same old, same old.

Chevy, interesting thought on authors catching hell. While I, admittedly, have NO real idea, my guess would be they suffered quite a bit more than other authors. Mainly because they are just average Joe's that don't have the protection that published authors generally do. Also, they came on to a platform that is really sub par as far as moderation goes and the ability to block/ignore the haters. I'm sure they had no idea what would happen and thought, like most of us do, that people wouldn't throw their hate at them unprovoked - that they would be able to touch base with nice people and be able to share their love. Of course, the majority of the people on here are generally nice but, the bad ones really brought a new level to dickishness. Haha, I made up a word, but it works ;) I found this place towards the end, right before Thor and Lee disappeared and was SOOOO disappointed. I have sooo many questions lol!!! Also, so many other good peeps disappeared - has anyone heard from any of them?

Oh, side note Katy, I couldn't open the attachment, could you let me know what it is? I can maybe do a Google search then.

Posted: 03 Jun 20, 14:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds, I think your right they are very average joe kinda guys which really draws you too them . They do have a nice charm to them too I like that. I guess it’s a sharks line of buisness lucky they are men and are tough I would have cried at some of the stuff that has been said. I guess that’s the difference between what makes men stronger in some aspects in handling things in comparison to women.I come off hard but I’m really a soft person at heart and I do like those guys I guess I’m partial.I think those regular joes are gonna have some very interesting stories though. Freddie was a character and a half .

MyHumanZoo

Posted: 03 Jun 20, 14:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katydid, I have the Treasures of Queen book and preordered Rudy’s so we will have all the new books covered! Amidds, I am like you and discovered the Thor and Lee book thread kind of late. I wish I’d found it earlier too. I am guessing that not only did they stop sharing because of the troll hate, but because they didn’t want to share stories on here that would later be in the book. They want the book to be all new and unheard info to attract more people. I am guessing of course, but that is what I would do! I have to say the hate that came in on that thread was so uncalled for, I am shocked daily at how mean people can be behind a screen and keyboard.

Chevy, I’m glad you took the advice and stayed in your marriage. I do enjoy the company of older people in general, I love the information and stories they have. I was at a graduation party on Sunday and sat with a much older couple, the husband has been in state government for many years, and told us so many stories of things he had seen and experienced. It was really fun! I am not that much of a talker (my husband shines in that category so we make a good pair, lol) so I like being with anyone that will keep the conversation going. Anyway, on the subject of staying in marriage it seems like so many people give up on marriage too easily now, it has become sort of a temporary commitment for so many. It is a tough thing to stay, but I wish more would at least try!

Posted: 03 Jun 20, 15:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was a part of Thor and Lee's threads from the beginning and really enjoyed the experience. There were some people who objected to the book because they felt that the guys were betraying the friendship of a very private man. I've heard the same objection to both Phoebe and Ratty's books. There were also trolls who came in just to be ugly.. Thor established a kind of ground rule early on to ignore and isolate the trolls and most of the time that worked. Occasionally people interacted with trolls, and then the situation escalated. Thor often intervened to remind people of the ignore and isolate request. Much of the conversation though was delightful and informative. I know that eventually there were so many people participating that Thor was spending large amounts of time each day trying to keep up. Once he and Lee got into the book writing and publishing, their time was severely compromised. If you look back at the threads, much of the ugliness had little to do with their experiences with Freddie or the book itself. People got embroiled in hot button discussions that often turned negative and I know that was disheartening to Thor. It wasn't what he had hoped when he created the community. In the end he was discouraged by that, the occasional trolls and the immense amount of time they have worked on the book. I do think he also wanted to protect the stories they intended to share and not reveal too much.

Amidds, you make a good point. Established authors would have more protection than Thor and Lee. Also, Thor started his thread here to clear up some untruths that had been floating around about who he was. I don't think he started his initial thread with the idea of writing a book, though it may have been percolating in their minds and the generally positive reception they found here encouraged them. Unfortunately this site is not well-moderated and they did take some hits. Overall though, I think they handled it well. Every author takes a risk when they publish a book. Some people are going to like the book, some aren't. I think Thor and Lee are fully prepared for that. I hope they are able to find a way to promote the book that does not involve QZ, or at least not this version that is not moderated.

Amidds, you are also correct that many great people disappeared. That was always so sad for me because I enjoyed so many of them. I do think it's the nature of a forum like this. People drift in and out as their interest wanes. Some also left because of the harshness of some posts. I am in touch with only one of them now and we have developed a wonderful friendship. She happens to be Parsi and is open to answering all of my questions, and trust me, I have many. :)

I would hope we do see Thor and Lee again at some point, but they still have months of hard work ahead of them.

Posted: 03 Jun 20, 15:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds, I am going to attach the link for the picture again. If you still can't see it, go to Amazon and search Neal Preston. Under the large picture of the book, there are some thumbnail pictures. The picture of Freddie and Mary is there. You will be familiar with all of the other pictures. I am well aware that I will know most of the pictures in the book. As I said in an earlier post, I will be glad to have them all in one place. As it is now, all of my Freddie pictures are in a huge folder on my computer that has absolutely no organization at all. If I want to find a particular picture I have to wade through hundreds. The book will be a lovely resource for me.

Attachment: 202063405702472.jpg 76 KB
This has been downloaded 9 time(s).

Posted: 03 Jun 20, 18:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I just was looking at a picture of Freddie and his mom when he was a baby it was precious.Indian babies all over the world no matter their genetic heritage always have heads of black hair. All articles I have seen say and give reference to the fact Freddie was born to two Persian Indian parents. They are Very attractive some light some very dark but very much the same facial and body characteristics.They did move from were he was born but that doesn’t change who they were they were a lovely family proud of their heritage blood and roots.I have baby pics of myself and Cherokee Indians have similar characteristics to eachother too. I had a main of dark brown hair that stuck straight up. It got lighter as I got older my mother was white so she was a strawberry blonde where my father was full blood Cherokee.

Posted: 03 Jun 20, 20:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I truly think Thor and Lee”s book will sell very well. Their honesty and good personalities will take them a long way. Besides that I think Thor is definitely a people person he will talk to anybody lol. I kinda got that feel about him here when he was interacting with the fans.My birthday is in June if I could make a special wish it would be that the book sales would do so well they both can retire and just travel together with friends if they wish. That’s what your supposed to do when your retired. That does sound inviting and I hope it happens .You are supposed to wish for good things to happen for people and I think they have paid their dues and it’s time to relax and fly high and have a little fun.

Amidds user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 346 posts

Posted: 04 Jun 20, 13:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katy, thanks for the info. Link still didn't work for me but I found it on Amazon. Have to say, most of it looks familiar but, might be some new, interesting info in there!! Even though I ended up with a couple of book disappointments, I agree with having the pics all in one place. I also still have a tendency to prefer paper books that I can flip through instead of being at my computer all the time!!

I also believe you are correct, Katy, that Thor didn't come to QZ with a book in mind. I believe it came much later after he saw the interest and love people have for Freddie. I'm glad he stuck with it, instead of becoming discouraged by the haters, so we can all look forward to the book with some new info and stories from people who loved him.

Question though Katy - you say Thor and Lee have months of work ahead of them......the book is done now and the hold up is with the printing due to everything going on yes? Just clarifying as I have NO idea what it takes to write a book, publish, etc, etc.

Posted: 04 Jun 20, 16:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds, I don't know all that is involved in publishing a book either so I was just speculating. In his last GFM update Thor said they were waiting for the sample copies before production could be amped up but Covid was slowing things down. Once production is amped I'm not sure what the next step is. I do know they have to autograph and ship out all of the pre-ordered copies. I think that will be a daunting project in itself and will take time Then they will have to decide about promoting the book, book signings, etc. I'm not sure they knew all that was involved, but I'm so happy they stuck with it.

Also, glad you finally got to see the attachment even though you had to do some searching. I noticed the "sombrero" photo's of Freddie and Roger will be included. I've always loved those photos because they guys seem so playful. I figure many of the actual concert photos will be pretty standard, but it will be the behind-the-scenes pictures I'll enjoy. I pre-ordered, so it's a done deal.

Posted: 04 Jun 20, 16:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds, Have you ordered a book from Thor and Lee yet they super cheap I know they will have a lot of photos no one has seen before they kept their collection private throughout the years. It will be a plus people will want to see all those young hotties lol.I think it would be interesting if it shows any of the old buildings and places they used to go . I love history.

Posted: 04 Jun 20, 16:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It’s that time pride month and my bday month time to celebrate. My state celebrates but Oklahoma isn’t like these larger states they still try to down play. So I try to enjoy others celebrations and pictures I really love the floats and costumes.Two guys last year were dressed like bumble bees. I asked one of them if I could touch his stinger which was on his ass and he let me he had a nice firm ass lol.

Posted: 04 Jun 20, 16:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh another guy was dressed as Bruce kardashian