Forums > Personal > Friendly Chat

forum rss feed
Author

Amidds user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 346 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Jul 20, 13:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And here I am, trying to catch up again lol!!!

Had another long weekend w/my mom. These past two have been difficult and, if it wasn't for COVID, I would probably be trying to convince her to move to assisted living. Needless to say, we didn't have an opportunity to discuss my dad's family which, obviously is not the most important thing right now but, like Rainbow and Katy said, I would like to get accurate deets for my curiosity and my kids. My mom's family has an extensive book, in print, of the family history going back many generations. The best thing about it, is it proves we are related to Shakespeare and my kids both got a big kick out of bringing that book into school at some point and showing their teachers!!!

Here is the link for the pics: http://queenchat.boards.net/thread/233/queen-pictures. Hope I made it clickable for you!!

Chevy - so sad to hear about your daughter!!! I hope she can get herself out of such a scary situation and find happiness again!!

Lsgp - yes travel is still restricted right now from the US. We plan on using the credits from our cancelled Ireland trip to re-book the Paris trip as airlines are not charging change/cancellation fees still. Since you never know what the world will be like in September, we will take the chance, hope things are better, or still have a credit for future trips!!! Such a crazy time but, I am trying to stay hopeful!!

Stevendabudgie-how scary!!! Really makes you think what people with COVID will suffer long term!! And, of course, since this is new, it will be a long time before we know!! I might have mentioned this before but, my daughter had told me how COVID attached itself to cells and makes it so sedation is prevented/prohibited (???) in COVID patients. So, basically, someone who needs to be intubated is awake and aware while the procedure takes place and lessens the effects of pain killers, etc!!!! Nothing like having a horrible illness and being able to suffer through the treatment as well!!! It makes sense then, that the virus can alter other functions and create havoc in a permanent way. I wish everyone could be made aware of these things - too many people out there not social distancing and not wearing masks!

Hope everyone had a good 4th!!! I know it prob wasn't too exciting if you're being careful, but, safe is best!!!!

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 881 posts

Posted: 06 Jul 20, 16:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Here's an interesting Rolling Stone interview with Roger.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/queen-drummer-roger-taylor-interview-quarantine-bohemian-rhapsody-movie-1022823/?fbclid=IwAR2i2JqnyPCvifVwBC9-dn3b-75n9wyhHo-vuBaO4P0NngoAqED1Pn9H7Dw

Amidds, I want to answer your post, but will have to be later when I have more time.

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2166 posts

Posted: 06 Jul 20, 17:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds, when I was sick that’s how it was I could see and hear the Drs talking but I was paralyzed on a vent. I could blink though. I heard them say she may not make it that scared the hell out of me . My heart goes out to the families and patients. My lungs are permanently damaged from the GBS so I wonder if that’s why the covid patients can’t be sedated either. I never smoked one day in my life and I’m sure a lot of them hadn’t either it probably weakened their lungs.Thanks for your thoughts on my Daughter I think after the trial we have her talked into attending school out of state with family for a while.I hope she still will after court.

Lsgp03 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lsgp03
Bohemian: 276 posts

Posted: 06 Jul 20, 17:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katydy its 1/2 down the article approximately 12 paragraphs down which started with “The lavish presentation “

I just thought while he said it as a joke, it was prophetic.

I was referring to the photos Ammids mentions that were rare, but she couldn’t remember where in queen-chat she initially saw them.

Posted: 06 Jul 20, 17:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lsgp03, They were beautiful photos my favorite 70s Freddie he looked so much like a Persian boy back then. That gorgeous black hair.

MyHumanZoo user not visiting Queenzone.com
MyHumanZoo
Bohemian: 319 posts

Posted: 07 Jul 20, 00:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi all, I am trying to catch up with all the posts after a busy weekend! I do love the pictures of Freddie shopping, he looks happy and so interested in what he is doing. I received my Guitar magazine today that featured Brian as best guitarist ever, so I get to look forward to reading it. I didn’t realize that it came with a CD of Hammer To Fall, which is pretty cool! I also got my fan club magazine, so even more fun reading to come.

We had fun on the 4th, we were in a flotilla with our pontoon, we decorated it up with my husband’s business and patriotic stuff. The whole lap around the lake took 2 1/2 hrs in the mid-day heat. We did win best commercial float...although we were the ONLY commercial float, lol! It was really fun though, and I have never seen so many people on the lake. It was great because everyone could be outside and distanced from each other. At night we went back out on the lake with some friends and my granddaughters to watch fireworks, and they were so gorgeous. There was a full moon right where the fireworks went off, and they had 3 barges full of the fireworks all going and timed to music on the radio. Yesterday we took our granddaughters tubing on the lake all afternoon, so we got our share of water fun. Now I am completely exhausted!

Love is still the answer, take my hand...

Posted: 07 Jul 20, 01:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lsgp, thanks, I was able to find that paragraph with the help of your lead line. I got a kick out of it because I could hear Freddie's voice through that whole section.

Amidds, I like your hopeful attitude about travel. We really don't know what September will be like and maybe you will be able to go. I sure hope so because I'm counting on lots of descriptions from you. Sorry things have been rough with your mom. The next step that you are considering is a tough choice, especially if she is at all resistant. The awful thing right now is being unable to visit family in those situations.

MHZ, glad to hear your Guitar magazine finally came and with the added bonus of a CD! I wonder if Rainbow got hers. Those fan club magazines have a lot of info packed into them don't they? Your weekend sounds like fun! I think fireworks over water are beautiful.

Lsgp03 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lsgp03
Bohemian: 276 posts

Posted: 07 Jul 20, 02:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ammids and katyd, thanks for the photo link, I’m down to page 18, but had to stop and go to bed...,,saw so many interesting pics, but man those guys on Queen chat have discussions on what Freddie wore in a particular country on a particular date! Jeez...and research on the haircuts etc....I just want to see and hear them.
Glad you found the paragraph in the article....it’s humorous, but interesting, like it was a prophecy.

MyHumanZoo

Posted: 08 Jul 20, 00:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katydid, thanks for the link to Roger’s Rolling Stone interview, it was interesting. I like hearing his thoughts on things, I usually focus so much on Brian I just get his perspective. The Total Guitar magazine is pretty cool, it has lots of different top lists of different types of guitarists, and it is cool to see where they are and how they are rated. Of course there is quite a number that I have never heard of....but I impressed myself with how many I do know, and which bands they were with too. The CD with the magazine is actually instructions on how to play Hammer To Fall, so now I’ll get to learn it!

It’s pretty scary that you are in the middle of the Covid hotspot, Katy. I hope you stay safe! And Amidds, I hope you can get things going well for your mom!

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 681 posts

Posted: 08 Jul 20, 08:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MHZ....I have yet to receive my copy of Total Guitar magazine. It sounds great! I had no idea it would come with a CD either. Fingers crossed that my magazine is just late and not lost. I'll be very disappointed if it doesn't arrive. A couple pages back you mentioned how quickly Queen items are sold out, often before the US even finds out they are on sale. Yesterday around noon, I read that Queen is re-releasing "The Studio Collection" vinyl box set. It is $400...and was already sold out! That was pretty fast considering how expensive it is. I wasn't interested in ordering it because my husband gave that to me for a birthday gift a few years ago...maybe 2017. I believe he got it on eBay for a very decent price. That was before the movie came out and all things Queen suddenly became very costly. My box set was previously owned, but basically brand new. The records are beautiful.

Katydyd....Loved the Rolling Stone Interview with Roger. I appreciated his honesty when asked if he misses being on stage and the rush of a live audience and he replied that he didn't miss it yet. I was happy to hear that he and Brian are in daily contact though. Surprised to read that Queen's manager had a heart attack...I assume Roger was talking about Jim Beach and not their stage manager, but I am not sure.

Amidds...You probably told us already, but how long will your European trip be? I admire the fact that you are so flexible about this...I know I would need to have more solid plans only 2 months away! My husband and I have to get our passports renewed...they expired a few months ago. We had planned on renewing them through the Post Office, but didn't want to go there in the midst of the pandemic, so we let them lapse. I don't have any trips planned in the near future, but I want my passport anyway.

Posted: 08 Jul 20, 11:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow, I had initially missed the info on Queen's manager having a heart attack. I've since read on queenchat that it was Jim Beach, but I've been unable to find any further information on that so maybe they are speculating. Whoever it is, I hope all is well now.

Posted: 08 Jul 20, 13:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lsgp, glad you are enjoying the link! I was so surprised to see pics on there that were new to me. And, YES, the dialog amongst those "experts" are crazy. I love it though - adds a little insight to things I hadn't really thought about.

Katydyd, thanks for the link on Roger's interview. I always felt that he has been very genuine and as honest (as could be) during interviews so it's always nice to hear new ones!

Rainbow, interesting question because our trip has gotten shorter with each rebooking. It will now be 10 days with a 3 day side trip to Montreux. I actually did book new flight yesterday with the Ireland credits we had. We spent more because I bought extra insurance, just in case. Of course, now Europe has put up the travel ban on the US *sigh*. I'm realistic enough to know that this probably will not happen but, I like/need to have something positive to look forward to. Regarding passports, my daughter and SIL were able to download an online form for renewal and mail it in. It took longer to get their renewals that way but was much easier. This link may help: http://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/have-passport/renew.html. I don't remember, but I don't think they had to include new pics. Not too hard to do yourself if you have a printer though.

Thanks for the well wishes regarding my mom guys!! She has good and bad days and a lot of the bad days are due to her stubbornness in not asking for help :(. I told her last week that she has to at least consider a part time home nurse which makes her nervous (COVID), and my daughter suggested we call Medicare office to see what programs they have here regarding home visits. Guess that's what I will attempt today - thank God government agencies are always available and helpful (puke emoji lol)

MyHumanZoo

Posted: 08 Jul 20, 17:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow, I saw that studio set come out and wanted to get it...then I saw the price! I would love it, I’ll probably wait a while a get it on EBay like your husband did. I have all the albums on iTunes, but I really want discs of everything. Someday, I suppose! I already got the eye roll from my husband when I got the Total Guitar magazine and some Queen leggings on the same day! (The eye roll is typically accompanied by a “you’re obsessed” under his breath!)

I saw that news about Jim Beach, I hope he’s ok! What are the odds that he and Brian would have them so close together...and luckily during a down time for the band?

Good luck with Medicare, Amidds, government agencies are usually a black hole from which you may never return, lol!

stevendabudgie user not visiting Queenzone.com
stevendabudgie
Bohemian: 189 posts

Posted: 08 Jul 20, 19:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@Katydy5

I do not work full time, so I do not have much money for travelling anyways. If I had, I would travel to Kanada and US and not only visit cities like New York, but also explore more rural or natural areas like the Rocky Mountains, Great Plains or Yellowstone National Park. And visit places like Graceland and Are51. :D
I would like to take several months off to travel North America. .The same for Australia, motherland of the budgie. :D
That country has fascinating landscapes and unique animal life. Travelling through Russia´s wilderness would also be interesting.

I would stay at home and switch to home delivery, too.

@Amidds

It is scary, but it seems to affect a perecentage of the severe cases. I wonder how many undetected asymptomatic or mild ones are in the US right now...miliions?

@Chevyman

Happy Birthday!
Sorry to hear about your daughter.

Posted: 09 Jul 20, 02:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds and Lsgp, I find the posts on queenchat almost intimidating because it makes me aware of how much I still don't know. I've posted three or four times, but I'm generally pretty reluctant. I know I'm obsessed, but some of those people are REALLY obsessed! Did you see the spreadsheet on Freddie's outfits for the News of the World tour? It's interesting and I have to admire the dedication it took to produce that, but I can't even begin to imagine the time that went into the research. I've learned a lot there, but prefer the easy conversation we have here.

Amidds, I get the need to have something to look forward to. I've always been like that, looking to the future. Sometimes I have to remind myself to enjoy the present too.

Steven, your dream travel choices are so interesting. NY City is a must, and you could spend an entire vacation there. The national parks like Yellowstone or Yosemite are spectacular and I'd like to see them too. What interests you about the Great Plains? The history of that area fascinates me. I'm definitely not an Elvis fan, but I'd see Graceland if I was in Memphis. You really could spend months here and not see everything. I'd recommend the northeast, and particularly Nantucket. Fascinating history of whaling there. LOL, I didn't realize Australia was the motherland of the budgie. I know you told the story of your QZ name on Thor's thread long ago, but didn't you have budgies as a child? I'd like to see Australia, or perhaps even more, New Zealand. I've been to Canada numerous times and it's a great country. My only other experience outside the US was Germany. : ) We had American friends who were living there for a couple of years working for Procter and Gamble, so we visited them. One of the most memorable parts of that trip was the few days we spent in Berlin, when it was still divided. West Berlin was so cosmopolitan, but East Berlin was an eye opener. Another highlight was a boat trip down the Rhine, with a castle around every bend. Oh and a classical music concert in the evening on the lawn of the Reichstag, culminating with fireworks over the building. Hmmmm………..this little trip down memory lane has me wanting to look at the photo album of that trip. I envy those of you who are able to travel frequently and I'm so glad you share your trips here. Amidds, I'm completely hoping you get to Montreux and share everything with us. The rest of your trip too, LOL, but Montreux for sure.

Posted: 09 Jul 20, 13:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MHZ, black hole is a perfect description! For instance, got nowhere yesterday, no one is answering the phone and websites get you nowhere. So glad my tax dollars go to this.......

Stevendabudgie, you bring up an excellent point about the asymptomatic cases. I only have the one area of Florida I can speak of but it is the largest hospital in that state and ranked in the top 10 in the nation for various departments. Their ICU's are near full capacity BUT that includes 1 unit that has been close to full of COVID patients since the beginning and 1 more that is nearing capacity now. The news implies Florida is being overrun with COVID due to the numbers but, obviously, not in the hospitals (yet). One can only assume that these numbers are highly asymptomatic then but they are not reporting that. My daughter says their biggest problem right now is a staffing shortage due to self-quarantine. Apparently, a lot of staff have been exposed though she doesn't know where (beaches, work, etc). It's nothing they can't handle right now but, if those cases become symptomatic.....yikes! I love your travel ideas. Up until my kids were grown, we spent a lot of vacations at national parks or beach destinations in the US. When they were old enough, the hubby and I started to hit islands (I'm a beach baby!). Now that my kids are fully grown and have an income, we are starting to plan the big ones. Of course, this year would've been the start and you all know how that is going! I have high hopes of hitting a lot of areas in Europe when we can, Australia and a few more islands. And I WILL get to a bday celebration in Montreux someday even if we hit the area this year!!!

Katy, glad I'm not the only one that felt intimidated on queenchat! I haven't spent much time on there but, each time I feel like that and do prefer our less "detail oriented" discussions here lol! I saw that discussion on the outfits and my head started to spin a little ;)

MyHumanZoo

Posted: 09 Jul 20, 15:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh Steven, I really hope you get to come and see some of the US! It is SO beautiful....the Rocky Mountains are amazing, it just takes your breath away. Yellowstone is gorgeous too, just seeing Old Faithful erupting is a thrill, and there are mud pools all around it. The wildlife you can see will amaze you too. I was really fortunate as a kid my parents took my brother and I on vacations and drove all these places, we didn’t have much money so we camped in a tent the whole way. They are the best memories! From childhood my dream was always to live alone on a mountain top with a horse farm! I still aspire to that, I really am a hermit, lol! I have returned as an adult so I could fully appreciate it, and I still love it just as much.

I have been many places, outside the US, mostly because of my work. I went to Germany many times and I love it there. Berlin is lovely, that is where I went for work. But I did visit the southern part in Bavaria, my son was in the army and stationed at (pardon me as I butcher this spelling) Grafenwoer. We visited him a few times and that countryside is so pretty. We drove around to Amburg, Nuremberg, and Munich, saw some of the old castles and even got to a Christmas market which was fantastic. I could easily live there. Now that I am retired, I wish I had taken advantage of the trips I had for work, and had gotten out to see more sites. My trips were always so full of work though, and with jet lag it was hard to work up the energy. I should have forced myself!

Amidds, it is interesting that the hospitals are not completely full in your part of Florida yet, when I listen to the news it sounds like they are all bursting and at emergency status. The news just isn’t as straight forward as it used to be, I would like to have Walter Cronkite back! : D

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 681 posts

Posted: 09 Jul 20, 22:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What a day....

I was THRILLED to finally get my Guitar World magazine with Brian on the cover! I've only had time to glance at it...looks like there are a lot of pages dedicated to Brian, so that's exciting.

Was also happy to read Thor and Lee's update today. Things are moving along. So looking forward to their book...I don't care when it comes out!

Finally...I just found out today that the agency I work for has to reduce our hours due to some complicated stuff that has to do with our grant (I work for a not-for-profit agency that is largely funded through grants) We will be in some kind of Work-Share program. Not sure what it all means yet... except a smaller paycheck. Our hours could be cut anywhere from 20%-60%. We will find out next week. This could last for a couple of weeks...or months. Nobody knows.

Posted: 09 Jul 20, 23:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh wow Rainbow, sorry to hear about your job. Is this due to the pandemic?

I was excited to read Thor's update too! Progress! I wonder if this is the first time the guys have gotten together this year. I hope they can enjoy the time!

Posted: 10 Jul 20, 00:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Steven, Thank You for the concern about my daughter I will try to post here a little more often since I won’t be on twitter after my experience with the adult photographer pervert lol. I didn’t realize how crazy people are a guy messaged me wanted me to take some pics for him .Since I’m in a wheelchair I thought that would detour him . Well it didn’t he said from the waist up.I said well how old are you clients he said not over 30. I laughed I told him I’m 47 dumbass sorry can’t help you. He then says oh but I thought you were much younger okay then I have to get rude and it wasn’t nice from there on. He was probably some old fat bald dude wacking off on the other side of the screen lol.Some sick people.