Forums > Personal > Friendly Chat

forum rss feed
Author

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2166 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Jul 20, 01:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow, I’m sorry about your job too! I hope things soon resolve themselves. The place where I used to work before I couldn’t work anymore had to let all their car salesmen but 2 go and a fleet of cars returned because they just aren’t selling cars.Its tough on everyone we aren’t alone that’s for sure my prayers are with you and yours.

Amidds user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 346 posts

Posted: 10 Jul 20, 14:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow, so sorry to hear about your job!!! I hope everything works out! I suppose we could say at least you're working but, really, those platitudes don't help when your funds get cut :( I just read a story about a guy in California that applied for unemployment in early March and got denied because they can't verify his identity. Apparently, the driver's license, utility bill, passport, birth certificate and lease weren't enough proof so he gets nothing and is suffering tremendously. Thanks government!! Umm....that wasn't very encouraging was it? Sorry, I'm just getting so sick of how many people are getting the short end of the stick.

I was excited to hear the update from Thor!! I know he has no control over the situation but that book has become one of the bright spots of this year for me and I'm very anxious to see it!!

Anyone interested in a Fl COVID update: talked to my lovely, overworked daughter yesterday. She said they are just now seeing effects from the uptick in COVID patients. Interesting thing is, they are mostly asymptomatic, undiagnosed patients. Small verification of our previous conversation speculating over this exact thing. So, what's happening is, they have 2 units full of known COVID patients but the hospital hasn't had to flip any other units over and those units are being used for their intended purposes (NICU, PACU, Labor/delivery, etc). Now, however, the patients coming in for other reasons besides COVID are being tested (SOP) and coming up positive at an increasingly higher rate. The worst part of that is, the healthcare workers may/may not be utilizing all the PPE assuming these patients are COVID free and may have been exposed. Of course, this brings up the question of "why aren't you always using the PPE as a matter of protection?" and I guess it's a balance between conserving the supplies so they have them when they need them vs. being overprotective. Just shaking my head.....

Posted: 10 Jul 20, 15:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds, I totally agree let the man have his money unemployment isn’t much anyway but it’s a lot when you have nothing. Our government can be so twisted I was watching something on tv last night and the government was paying welfare benefits for a family equaling 100,000 dollar salary job. Their housing was paid for and food on top of that. They had 2 kids already aged out of the system and they had kids on welfare that was paying them over 60, 000 a year. I know in a lot of states this doesn’t seem like a lot but in my state this is a lot of money and people work actual jobs for these amounts of money. But our government won’t help a displaced worker that’s shameful and in California he will be lucky if he doesn’t end up in a tent. I heard it’s very expensive.

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 881 posts

Posted: 10 Jul 20, 15:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds, I feel your frustration. My county just went to mandatory masks and people are fighting it. It's gotten ridiculous and almost scary to go out because you never know when someone is going to lash out. I had a check-up visit with my doctor yesterday and he told me not to go out for any reason because infection is on the rise here. I told him grocery shopping was my only outside activity and he told me that was fine, but to get there early and get in and out quickly which I was already doing. I might have mentioned that I haven't seen my oldest son since Christmas. He and his family went to visit his in-laws in Florida in May so we were waiting two weeks when they got back before seeing them. For whatever reason we didn't get that visit in and now they are going to Gatlinburg, Tennessee for a quick vacation . Are you kidding me???It's so hard for me not to have something to say about all of the decisions they are making.

Steven, I went through the photo album I made when I was in Germany and almost nothing is labeled! What could I have been thinking? Apparently I expected to remember everything and I now know how foolish that was. Our friends lived in Glasshutten, so I know we saw that town and also Frankfort. We visited other friends in Hamburg. Based on a postcard of Heidlebiurg at the beginning of one section of the album, we were there, but none of the sights we saw are labeled. There is a castle and a lot of churches. i know that doesn't tell you much. We saw one old town, Rothenburg, that had a lot of Christmas shops. It wasn't exactly a Christmas market that MHZ mentioned, but it was lovely. I have a lot of German Christmas decorations that I got while there. I have great memories of the visit, I just don't know exactly where I was some of the time. ( Eye-rolling emoji here.) I think I'd be a much better traveler now.

Posted: 10 Jul 20, 17:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Why are people driving in their own cars with gloves and masks on their faces?????

Posted: 10 Jul 20, 22:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Chevy, do you know what you were watching? I don't doubt you cause it sounds like the government but I'd be interested in sourcing that. There is so much good to be done with all that money that flows through politicians fingers.....

Katy, I can't even say anything negative about your son since I am obviously planning a Paris/Montreux trip and my daughter is (maybe) coming home next week. I really get the need to do something that alleviates the stress and hopefully everyone is really careful! That being said, I still have no gone anywhere unless it's a necessity. Heck, I'm still paying the extra for GrubHub so I don't have to run in a restaurant on the nights we don't feel like cooking. I am a very (ahem) frugal person so, that should tell you something! Re: your pics - I did that a couple of times and it killed me. Now I obsessively mark the pics as soon as I get them. My kids laugh but I learned that lesson!!!

Guess what? Bet you all thought I'd forget about the Beatles stuff! I remembered! Unfortunately, my memory is a little off cause I only have 3 Beatles items left. The rest of the box I have is all Dr. Who stuff. I will post the pics of the three items and if anyone is interested, DM me and I will mail them to you. And if anyone is interested in Dr. Who stuff let me know as well (mostly books and picture discs). Oh, and don't laugh at the quality of the pics, I literally had to go in our semi-dark crawl space for these. Best part is....every time I go up there, I hit my head on the light fixtures! My hubby calls me Calamity Jane lol.

Posted: 10 Jul 20, 22:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Guess it will only let me do one at a time....

Attachment: 20207101886065115.JPG 1 MB
This has been downloaded 16 time(s).

Attachment: 20207101331340786.JPG 1 MB
This has been downloaded 9 time(s).

Attachment: 2020710949706345.JPG 1 MB
This has been downloaded 11 time(s).

Posted: 10 Jul 20, 22:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds, It’s called benefits Britain life on the dole it’s on utube. I was just so annoyed beyond words.

Posted: 11 Jul 20, 02:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds, you are braver than I am if you are going into your crawlspace. I have one in the basement and there is some stuff stored up there, but I'll never find out what it is. Too afraid of spiders! You might be able to get some money for the Beatles memorabilia on something like Ebay. Have you ever used it? I used to look at some things, but never bought. For a while two elderly gentlemen ran a store in town where they would take your things and for a small commission, they would sell them on Ebay. I actually got rid of a lot of stuff and there was no stress for me. It was kind of fun to watch the bids on my things. I never got what I thought I should have, but at least i cleared out some things.

As for my son, Gatlinburg is a resort town in the Smokey Mountains. They will only be there a few days and there are things they could do that would be fairly safe like hiking. But I know they will go to restaurants and pools. Hopefully some of the more touristy things like Dollywood wont' be open. I could check online but I'd rather not know. I try not to judge the choices people are making now, but this one directly affects me. I want to see them, but I want to know they are taking precautions. My other son and his family live here and they feel the same way. Right now we have a pool party scheduled in August so we can see them. It would just be family and we would be outside. I'm still depending on DoorDash for restaurant food. It's sad that the big excitement of my week is looking at all the DoorDash options to decide what I want to order on Saturdays. Tomorrow it is Chinese.

JB050 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 575 posts

Posted: 11 Jul 20, 02:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi all!! Sorry I have been MIA! I am working to catch up on the Great conversations here. I know it continues to be such an unprecedented time. As for trips and outdoor restaurants, I keep Saying the same thing your all saying. I completely understand people’s need to get out and be around people. I also am one of the very cautious ones who is really not going anywhere and still doing Curbside pickups. I keep saying it’s so personal. I am being xtra cautious for my Mom too. Very scary to think my decisions could be life or death for her.

Katy— Sorry to hear that about your county. Take care!!! Glad your all checking in so we know all are well.

if it helps you to know, curbside has been working really well. GFS and Aldi are not charging extra for it and it’s been really easy to navigate their sites.

I also ordered framed stamps but, good to know it might be held up.

Amidds — Wow! Your family history IS Something! Thank you for sharing that. I agree it would be great to record each of those cases. Wow!! So, was most of that before you were born?

Thanks for all the links and photos. I need to catch up on those too.

I know this is very unrelated, but I just got through with the 6 podcasts about the movie Almost Famous (20th anniversary). Really great interviews. In case there are other lovers of that movie here. :—)))

Am thinking about all of you.
Stay safe. Be well.

Posted: 11 Jul 20, 02:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds! Thank you for the update from your daughter, just saw that. That’s the other scary part carriers with no symptoms.

Would love to hear what you are all doing to keep your spirits up. In addition to Queen and a Fredfie fix.

By the way, have you seen these. I haven’t watched much of it yet but it’s on my list. :-)))

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk5by4wvfqk&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR30Sf356eHjBMhuEriXCh1IcTbqhtkJVEOZRi682o6yRG1NA4ofSFJXMlA

Posted: 11 Jul 20, 12:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JB, good to hear from you! Thanks for the link.The videos are short and informative. I've been following those each week because I'm always so interested in what goes on behind the scenes. That rain in Australia must have made it rough for everyone! About groceries, I WANT to go to the store. I had been using Amazon Fresh which worked out great. Site was easy to navigate and they delivered it to my porch, no contact. No delivery fee if above a certain limit and I always was. I switched to in-person shopping the beginning of June because I love summer fruit and I wanted to be able to choose my own. Amazon shops at Whole Foods so it was always nice, but I need to SEE it. Right now I'm loaded up with cherries, plums and peaches and I feel happy.

Keeping my spirits up? Hmm.....I'm actually doing pretty well and I think it's been because I can be outside. Unfortunately July has been 90 degrees and up each day so I don't go out much again. Humidity feels like a heavy blanket as soon as I step outside the door. Still, phone calls, emails, FaceTime with the grandkids etc keeps me going. I have had my local family here a few times and that helps.

I hope people keep checking in. Just seeing how others are handling things helps.

Posted: 11 Jul 20, 14:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Katy!!

Ya, it’s incredible what they perform through. I agree the rain must have been a huge challenge.

I smiled reading about wanting to pick your own produce. And your selection of fruit at home. Soo good! I’m right there with you. I have wanted so badly to go in to Whole goods lately, it will be my first store to go back in to. Haha.. That’s really great that You are able to get to the store and that the Amazon delivery worked so well. We are outside the delivery area. regular contact with your family... ya!!

Loved your poetic description of blanket of heat. So true. I know we talked before about going they thinks and purging that’s been something else I’m doing even more of now. Filled my back seat with bags for shredding a few weeks ago was great to get rid of.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Posted: 11 Jul 20, 14:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Katy!!

Ya, it’s incredible what they perform through. I agree the rain must have been a huge challenge.

I smiled reading about wanting to pick your own produce. And your selection of fruit at home. Soo good! I’m right there with you. I have wanted so badly to go in to Whole goods lately, it will be my first store to go back in to. Haha.. That’s really great that You are able to get to the store and that the Amazon delivery worked so well. We are outside the delivery area. regular contact with your family... ya!!

Loved your poetic description of blanket of heat. So true. I know we talked before about going they thinks and purging that’s been something else I’m doing even more of now. Filled my back seat with bags for shredding a few weeks ago was great to get rid of.

Hope everyone has a good day.

MyHumanZoo user not visiting Queenzone.com
MyHumanZoo
Bohemian: 319 posts

Posted: 11 Jul 20, 15:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow,sorry to hear about your job, hopefully this is just a temporary dip. I have reading my Total Guitar magazine on my schedule today, can’t wait!

We have had the oppressive heat and humidity just like you, Katydid. Thankfully there was a front that moved through yesterday and it is gorgeous today. I took advantage yesterday as it cooled off and trimmed all along the edge of our yard, we have a woods on 3 sides that is always attempting to take over our yard so the cool temps made it easier for me to hack away at the wildness!

We don’t have mandatory masks here, but to the north of us they do. We are still quite fortunate to have a smaller number of cases in my county. Everyone is pretty much out and about too. I would say I see maybe 25% wearing masks. You all are lucky to have Whole Foods nearby, the closest one to me is over an hour away. I sneak in there if I go shopping in the “big city” but I would love to be able to shop there regularly!

Love is still the answer, take my hand...

Posted: 11 Jul 20, 16:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MHZ, we have a slight break in the heat here so I went out and trimmed back an out-of-control bush and some vines. Came back in and sat under the ceiling fan. Not going out there again til October!!

The Whole Foods here is maybe 45 minutes away. I'm just inside the Amazon delivery area for that and it was wonderful this spring. I just picked a delivery time and voila, it was on my porch. Kroger has a pick-up service, but people say they often substitute or delete items without notifying te customer. Amazon just tells you they don't have it as your fill out your order. I will say they often didn't have things I wanted, and worse yet they had things I didn't need but ordered like gourmet dark chocolate with orange peel. I wouldn't even look at that if I was physically in the store.One place i'd like to get to at some point is Trader Joes. It's maybe 40 minutes away, but I love to poke around in there.

Speaking of purging, I've got a bunch of stuff for Good Will. I wonder if they are taking donations.

Posted: 12 Jul 20, 07:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Good Will here is. And they have distribution center location for drop offs also.

Posted: 12 Jul 20, 07:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Good Will here is. And they have distribution center location for drop offs also.