Forums > Personal > Friendly Chat

forum rss feed
Author

Amidds user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 346 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Jul 20, 13:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katy, lol, our crawl space is semi finished so, it's not horrible. And our Good Will is open as well - we spent the last 2 weekends dropping off all that stuff we had pulled out so I was able to get to the box w/the Beatles stuff. Yes, I have done Ebay. Think I mentioned my brother was a low level hoarder-I was able to sell enough of his gaming/collectibles/Harley parts (along w/his Harley) to help my mom pay to re-do her upstairs. My brother lived with her as he was mentally handicapped and he was a very heavy smoker - after his death, she had to have carpet replaced, walls re-painted w/special paint to cover the tar and some bathroom remodeling done. Ebay sales paid for all of that believe it or not. These items aren't in the best of shape and wouldn't pull in enough to make it worth my while. That's why I thought it would just be nice to give it to someone who could enjoy it. Haven't gotten any messages, btw, so don't know if my messaging works.......

Was able to pick my mom's brain a little regarding my dad's family. She couldn't recall much, unfortunately, but she did confirm that one uncle was found in Colorado on train tracks. He apparently was an alcoholic and "living with the Indians" (90 year old vernacular) so they assumed alcohol poisoning, the theater death was natural causes as well (I have my doubts due to age), another uncle was a dirty cop (Chicago, what can I say), and he mysteriously died, another was a mob hit found in the Fox River, another from complications due to "gassing" during the war and another lost an arm in a factory accident and kinda went crazy. That was out of 9 siblings on my dad's maternal side and the deaths had all happened w/in a 2-3 year period when he was in his teens or 20's so in the 1940's or 1950's. I'm sure investigation practices and beliefs were no where what they are today, hence the "mysterious" deaths. I told her that her "assignment" this week was to see if she could recall any specific names so we can do a Google search. Nowadays, you never know what you'll find!!!

JB - thanks for the link!!! I love the "behind the scenes" stuff. I never think about that kind of thing until I see a vid like this and I find them sooo interesting!!

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 881 posts

Posted: 13 Jul 20, 15:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds, wow on the Ebay sales! I had no idea it could be that lucrative .I think it was so generous of you to offer your items to anyone who would enjoy them. I still have some of my Beatles stuff too, and am looking to get rid of it, so I don't need to add to the collection. If I were you i'd be resaarching all kinds of places to find out more info on relatives like that. I see a book in your furtue!!

BTW, I just PMed you so you can see if your PMs are working.

Amidds user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 346 posts

Posted: 13 Jul 20, 20:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hmmm....not sure what happened. My settings were off, just fixed everything and found a slew of PM's!!! So sorry to everyone that I didn't respond to, you prob though I was ignoring you and I wasn't!!!!

Just sent PM's to Katy and MHZ for the most recent ones....hopefully they went through with my new settings.

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 683 posts

Posted: 13 Jul 20, 22:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Everyone...I have a lot of catching up to do. Will do that soon.

Just a few quick things...

The other day I received an email confirmation that my Queen stamp order had been dispatched. That was great news...had been concerned after the credit card charge for my order dropped off a couple of weeks ago. I will be interested to hear what others think of the stamp sets they ordered. I know some people purchased the framed stamps. I only ordered the "Presentation Pack".

I haven't looked at my "Total Guitar" magazine yet. Am waiting for the perfect uninterrupted moment. Will have considerably more "free time" now since I found out on Friday that my work hours are being cut by 60%. Starting this week, I am only working 2 days/week. At least it is at a nice time of the year! I have many tasks to keep myself busy.

Of course, I will be watching Queen at Live Aid this evening for the 35th anniversary. I have the DVD, but will probably just pull it up on YouTube on TV. I absolutely enjoy everything about that performance... no matter how many times I watch it, I am still thrilled when I first see the guys burst onto the stage. My favorite song that night was "Hammer to Fall". Such amazing energy. That song never seems to be anyone's favorite in the set, but I love it!

Posted: 14 Jul 20, 01:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow, I got an email requesting that I rate the Royal Mail service on the stamps i ordered. The email acknowledged that I may not have received the stamps yet, so I should hold on to the survey until I had the product in hand . I think I have to wait until mid-August. I'll be excited whenever they get here. I understand waiting for the right moment to read your Total Guitar magazine. You guys finally shamed me into watching all the videos I was holding on to, but I still haven't even cracked Brian May's 3 D book. Apparently I'm waiting for the perfect moment for that. : ) As for your job, wow, getting cut to 2 days/week is serious. I have to admire your attitude about the situation.

FB has been full of Live Aid clips all day and I've looked at every one. Oddly enough, the question of "favorite song" has been asked repeatedly and "Hammer to Fall" is often the choice! "Radio Ga Ga" seems to be running a close second. I think my favorite moment is the call and response, and I will never tire of WWRY. Something about that opening beat just runs through my body. "We Are the Champions" is also a favorite. I love the power of the performance and I'll never forget watching it live. For some reason Queen had always been on the back burner for me, but when I saw that performance I was captivated and immediately went out the next day and bought a greatest hits album.

Posted: 14 Jul 20, 12:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm posting this for no other reason than it just popped up on my FB feed. Of all Freddie's costumes, this is the one I really don't like. I don't mind his white, black or striped shorts at all, but this just looks like a giant onsie to me.

Ok, off to do something productive, which obviously this isn't. : )

Attachment: 20207141094096275.jpg 82 KB
This has been downloaded 16 time(s).

MyHumanZoo user not visiting Queenzone.com
MyHumanZoo
Bohemian: 319 posts

Posted: 15 Jul 20, 14:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Speaking of cleaning things out, I need to do a purge of my stuff! I still have a closet full of work clothes that I just don’t wear any more, I go through on occasion and remove things, but it’s time to make it a major ordeal. We luckily have a resale shop in my small town so I can sell my work stuff and I get a decent amount for it. I wish I could get my husband to purge things, he still has stuff from high school! He is sentimental though, and hates to get rid of stuff because of the memories. I have a basement full of stuff that should be thrown out....things like artificial trees even, but since they were his mom’s he hates to get rid of them. I don’t mind keeping some things...but trees is stretching it!

I have seen all the Live Aid stuff, I should watch it again but just don’t seem to have the desire for it. I’ve watched it a lot though. One thing I love is how Freddie starts out with “hey hey hey Hammer To Fall!” Katydid, I love all of Freddie’s 70s outfits, but I do like those onesies better when the legs are full length. His legs are so skinny and his feet are so long...shorts just look strange on him!

Love is still the answer, take my hand...
stevendabudgie user not visiting Queenzone.com
stevendabudgie
Bohemian: 189 posts

Posted: 15 Jul 20, 17:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@Katydy5

I only know the Great Plains from movies like "Dances With Wolves", so I am interested in the view, the eperience of the vast landscapes. I could add dozens landmarks like Devil´s Tower or Grand Canyon. The diverse histories and cultures of These regions are also interesting, but I would need a years to explore. It would be comparable to travel Europe. Culture even differs from borough to borough in big cities like New York. I had budgies when I was a kid. "Budgie" is the short version of "budgerigar". There is rumour that it´s a word used by Native Australians, meaning "good to eat". :D
They are as ubiquitous in Australia as pidgins or sparrows are in Europe or the US. New Zealand is also interesting, but somehow I am more drawn to Australia.

I was in Berlin in 2002. Only short sections of the wall were left. I could not exactly tell the difference between East and West except in public transportation. West Berlin had a huge subway System East Berlin did not have. Berlin was huge construction site in the 1990s, with a lot of demotilition, construction and restauration work. I heard that before the fall of the wall, West Germans fled to West Berlin to avoid conscription. West Berlin resident could not be conscripted due to the city´s legal and diplomatic status. So it was safe haven for all kinds of "alternative" People, pacifists, artists etc.
My father visited Berlin shortly afterthe fall of the wall and was impressed by the West-East difference. My mum visited the City in the 60s, which was scary experience. A West German tourist was picked out by the STASI because he he made a remark about the "Wirtschaftswunder" ("economic miracle"), a term which describing the West German economic boom and reconstruction after 1945.
There are many castles in Germany also because Germany was splintered into dozens, at one time hundreds of counties and kingdoms, all of which were sovereign states in their own right. And every Count or king had his own Castle, summer residence etc.

Regarding churches in Heidelberg, you surely visited These:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_the_Holy_Spirit,_Heidelberg
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Peterskirche_(Heidelberg)

@Amidds

So many asymptomic cases can be proof that the actual mortality rate is lower than anticipated. Streeck conducted the first field research wordwide. They went to Gangelt in Heinsberg district, where the first big cluster erupted in Germany due to a superspreading event. They tested for the virus and antibodies and went into households to question People and take samples from surfaces.
One surprising discovery was there were more asymptomamatic cases than previously assumed. They found antibodies in individuals who did not notice a thing.
The Research team visited gangelt on regular basis. After analyzing the data collected from the timeframe they came up with a mortality rate of 0,34 %. Which is surprising, but also controversial as Gangelt is a small community. and cannot be compared to cities.
Meanwhile, more restriction have been lifted since the beginning of July. Several articles about longterm were published by maisntream News media in the last two weeks, I wonder whether this is coincidence or a concerted effort to remind people to stay safe.

@MyHumanZoo

America is one of the few regions one can go up the mountain or into the woods, build a house and live on his/her own without being bothered by anyone. You can even live off-grid and self-sustain.

In Europe, only the east provides such opportinities I watched a documentary about religious sect living in an ecological, almost self-sustaining community in Siberia. Beautiful landscape, but hard work.

stevendabudgie

Posted: 15 Jul 20, 18:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh, I meant pigeons, not pidgins. :D

Posted: 15 Jul 20, 22:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I apologize for this post being so long...that's what happens when I am AWOL.

MHZ and Amidds...I have been in the midst of a major cleaning project in our cellar. When I say major, I mean it will take well over a month, maybe two, to finish. MHZ...your husband still has stuff from high school...I still have things from elementary school including all my report cards from Kindergarten through 5th grade! Everything has sentimental value, consequently, I have boxes of stuff which I am trying to organize. I have all the doll clothes my grandmother knitted and crocheted when I was a kid. I have all my comic books (many of which only cost 15 cents back in the day). I have my Barbie and Ken dolls (but not my Barbie Camper...not sure where that went to.) I also found a photo album that had a ton of stamps I collected as a child. I knew I had a few stamps, but had forgotten I had so many (about 7 pages worth). I guess I do have something in common with Freddie! My mother has been on a cleaning tear the past couple of years. Sometimes I take the things she is giving away...I now have a few boxes of old dishes that belonged to my grandmother (I certainly can't give those away.) I am rather hopeless! Despite my sentimental attachment to nearly everything, I do have a considerable pile of items I will either donate or put in a yard sale this summer.

Steven...I hope you get to see all the places on your travel bucket list. I am never happier than when I am traveling with my husband. The majority of my travels have been done in the US. My only trips outside the continental US were to Mexico, Puerto Rico, Canada, and Ireland. I believe most of "Dances with Wolves" was filmed in South Dakota near the Rapid City area. I think the plains and rolling hills of South Dakota are beautiful. I love wide open spaces. One of my best vacation experiences with my husband took place in Custer State Park in South Dakota. It was the first full day of our 2 week western trip. We were slowly driving through the park when a herd of bison came over a hill and slowly walked down the side of the road toward us. We pulled over so we didn't block traffic (as did many other cars). Hundreds of buffalo walked past us on each side of our car...they were only several feet away. We watched them for over an hour until the last one passed by. It was spectacular...what powerful and majestic animals!

Katydyd...You mentioned Nantucket...I have never been there, but in general, I love the Northeast coast, especially Rhode Island and Maine. Ah...the smell of the ocean! By the way, I wouldn't go into your crawlspace either even if it held a pair of free front-row tickets to the next Queen + AL show with plane fare to see them in London! I am petrified of spiders. I am glad my husband is not, otherwise, I could never have married him. LOL. As for my job...I'm not happy my hours were cut, but I know things could be far worse. This might be the universe's way of nudging me to get my stuff organized!

JB050 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 575 posts

Posted: 16 Jul 20, 14:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow— I am right there with you re: clearing out. You have amazing treasures. It’s so difficult to part with these. You are so right it’s finding a good organizing system. :-)). I have been finding notes Handwritten to me when I was in college. I’m sure I’m not alone here in having a bin of concert shirts. Would be fun to hear what shirts everyone has. I have one from the first year of Lollapalooza, if you can believe that.

I was going to go back for the specifics of what happened with your job - was glad that Katy recapped... and see you are down to 2 days. Sounds like so far that has been ok. I hope it’s not causing hardship. Great that you are getting a chance to go thru things.

Katy- That’s cool that you viewed the live aid anniversary posts. Photos. And videos. Perfect thing to do on the anniversary. Have you seen the video about Bob G and live aid coming in to being. It’s so amazing what he / they pulled off. Was funny that he held a press conference saying which bands would perform when they had not all committed and he got immediate calls from Band managers.

I came across this online, hadn’t seen it before posting for anyone who may be interested.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O7ae7crjNSg

Hope everyone Is well ... have a good day / night.

MyHumanZoo user not visiting Queenzone.com
MyHumanZoo
Bohemian: 319 posts

Posted: 16 Jul 20, 19:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JB, that is a great link, I enjoyed it. I haven't seen any of that before. I struggled a bit at knowing who everyone was. What was interesting to me is how tall Brian appeared in that crowd of people near the beginning. I think the population in general has gotten so much taller since then, because a 6' 3" person (even with tall hair, lol!) isn't that much of a standout now. But everywhere you see Brian back in those days he just towers over everyone. Kind of fascinating to see the change.

Rainbow, it's fun to go through all that stuff that we have kept over years! My parents have been trying to gradually clean things out, since they are older and are contemplating moving into a retirement community. I got some of my old Barbies and my old Barbie camper (it is a broken up mess!). When I was talking about my husband keeping stuff from high school, I was talking about clothes and shoes....and he won't throw those out because they are perfectly good and he thinks he may wear them again....yikes! There are a lot of reasons that won't work....besides the size of them, and him, now! ; ) He has lots of sentimental stuff and I don't mind keeping it as long as we have space...just feeling like we have lots of his mom's stuff and maybe a dusty old artificial tree that once sat in her house could maybe be parted with...but we keep it anyway!

Steven...I'm not sure if the antibody test in Europe is the same as we have here in the US, but it has been shown that the test we have will show positive for antibodies if that person has been infected by other corona virus, not necessarily the Covid 19 one. So the antibody test is not necessarily accurate. I don't think they know the rate of positive tests due to other viruses, so who knows exactly how many people really had Covid? Its so hard to rely on any info, it seems.

Love is still the answer, take my hand...

Posted: 16 Jul 20, 21:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good news is: my stamps arrived
Not so good news: the glass in both sets is completely shattered. Now begins the exchange process if possible.

It must have had a rough trip. :-|

Hope yours are all arriving in tact.

stevendabudgie

Posted: 16 Jul 20, 21:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@MHZ

I have looked it up. In Heinsberg, they did both RT-PCR and antibody tests on every subject,

Posted: 16 Jul 20, 23:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JB050...Ugh...Sorry to hear about your stamps! That is so disappointing. Did you get them through the Queen Online Store? I bought a shirt from them a couple of years ago that was too small. I contacted customer service by email and they issued me a credit voucher so that I could reorder the shirt. I had to return the other shirt...but that's because it was my mistake for ordering the wrong size. (I think there might be some sizing differences between the US and the UK.) In your case, they should absolutely pay for the return. Are you going to try and order the same framed stamps again or will you get different stamp sets this time?

Posted: 16 Jul 20, 23:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks Rainbow!! I did order through the Queen online store. Good to know!!!

It would be great if I could get at least one framed set since one was for a gift. I’ll check and see what the options are and will post an update. Thank you for your caring & insight. :-))

Posted: 17 Jul 20, 00:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow, you guys have been so prolific and there is so much I want to comment on but it would make for a novel-length post so I'll be quick and come back later for more.

First, JB, thanks for the link! I hadn't seen that and it was fun to see who I recognized. I keep trying to peer around all the people for a glimpse of Freddie, but no luck. Elton's hat was something else. Is that the hat he wore during his performance that Freddie later told him made him look like the Queen Mother? I saw Jim Beach once or twice, Gerry Stickels and Denis O'Reagan. Also saw Roger out in the crowd in the grandstand. The atmosphere must have been so incredibly electric, what an experience to have been there.

Also to JB, I was upset to hear that your stamps arrived with shattered glass. I ordered mine from the Royal Mail and don't have them yet, so now my fingers are crossed that it arrives intact. Please let us know how your exchange goes.

Posted: 17 Jul 20, 00:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JB050...If you go to the Queen Online Store home page, you will see a link for "Help and Support" at the bottom of the page. Click on that...and then click on "Returns and Refunds". There is a drop down box that addresses the problem: "My item arrived damaged". Good luck!

Posted: 17 Jul 20, 02:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Steven, "Dances With Wolves" is one of my favorite movies. My daughter-in-law's great great grandparents were full-blooded Sioux. She does not know much about that side of her family, though she met some who came for a family reunion. She hopes to see the Great Plains and learn more someday. Her Dad has some records, but they are sparse and there is much to learn. Have you seen "Last of the Mohicans"? That's another favorite of mine and another interesting part of the country to explore. I have only seen the Grand Canyon from an airplane. I did not have the window seat, and the man in that seat was an ESPN photographer and well traveled so he wasn't at all impressed. I was so excited I was practically in his lap so I could see and he wasn't impressed with that either.

I got out my photo album from my German trip again and I did see The Church of the Holy Spirt. Thanks for sharing the links so I could identify it. We also toured that castle that is on the hill and I have pictures from the interior. I seem to have been quite impressed with the huge wine cask and the story behind it. I have a picture of my sons standing on top. As for Berlin, that is an experience I will never forget. I mentioned in another post that we were visiting American friends who were living in Germany while working for Proctor and Gamble. They went with us to Berlin. I had a pen pal at that time who lived in East Germany and had children slightly younger than mine. We planned to meet him in East Berlin and had some gifts for his kids. Two days before we were to meet, he called me at my friends' house and told me his vacation day had been abruptly canceled, no reason, and he would not be able to meet. He seemed anxious and told me to be careful while we were in the East and not to try to bring in the gifts even to give to someone else. As we were crossing into the East, we had to go through a long, narrow corridor, stopping to show our passports to a guard. We pushed all four passports through the window, he looked quickly, pushed back my husband's and those of my sons. He waved them through door at the end of the corridor, but he held my passport. He had a list I couldn't see, but he ran his finger down the list, stopped, and began to compare my passport with the list. He kept looking at the list, then at me. Then he picked up the phone and made a call. It was all I could do to stand there calmly. He finally let me go, and when I opened the door to go in to the East my family was standing there, along with my friends and their two children. My friend was laughing and he just said "Thank you for that excitement. We will probably have a tail the whole time we are here. Try to act normal." All I could think was that if I hadn't come through the door I hoped they would find an American Embassy and save me. While there we visited a museum that was filled with treasures taken from other countries. It was also filled with armed guards. We ate lunch at some outdoor area and the sausage was a sausage in name only. Definitely mystery meat. The lemonade was pale yellow and tasteless. Soldiers were everywhere. At the end of the day, crossing back into West Berlin we had to make sure we had no Eastern money as it wasn't allowed to leave. We did not know that. This time they made my husband go back alone to give the money to anyone who would take it. He said there were people just waiting by the door for the money and he got rid of it quickly. As I said, and experience I will never forget. Steven, here's where I know I'd be much better at telling the story than I am at writing it. You were right about the difference between speaking and writing.

BTW, I had parakeets when I was young. "Budgie" is a much cuter name! : )

Posted: 17 Jul 20, 12:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey! Can you all see the new buttons by the post date? That will be so helpful!