Forums > Personal > Friendly Chat

forum rss feed
Author

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2166 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Jul 20, 15:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello everyone hope you summer is pleasant and enjoy the rest of it love to you all

Posted: 17 Jul 20, 15:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Posted: 17 Jul 20, 16:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Posted: 17 Jul 20, 16:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

These are pretty cool buttons for sure. Saves time I guess have a nice weekend.

MyHumanZoo user not visiting Queenzone.com
MyHumanZoo
Bohemian: 319 posts

Posted: 17 Jul 20, 18:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow, Katydid, that is quite an experience in Germany! You must have been in a full anxiety attack, I’m pretty sure I would have been!

Thanks for pointing out the new buttons by the posts....I wonder how those suddenly appeared? It’s not like they actively seem to do work on this site. But I will take it, it is a nice surprise!

Hope your summer is going well too, Chevy!

Love is still the answer, take my hand...
stevendabudgie user not visiting Queenzone.com
stevendabudgie
Bohemian: 189 posts

Posted: 17 Jul 20, 21:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katydyd5 wrote:

Steven, "Dances With Wolves" is one of my favorite movies. My daughter-in-law's great great grandparents were full-blooded Sioux. She does not know much about that side of her family, though she met some who came for a family reunion. She hopes to see the Great Plains and learn more someday. Her Dad has some records, but they are sparse and there is much to learn. Have you seen "Last of the Mohicans"? That's another favorite of mine and another interesting part of the country to explore. I have only seen the Grand Canyon from an airplane. I did not have the window seat, and the man in that seat was an ESPN photographer and well traveled so he wasn't at all impressed. I was so excited I was practically in his lap so I could see and he wasn't impressed with that either.

I got out my photo album from my German trip again and I did see The Church of the Holy Spirt. Thanks for sharing the links so I could identify it. We also toured that castle that is on the hill and I have pictures from the interior. I seem to have been quite impressed with the huge wine cask and the story behind it. I have a picture of my sons standing on top. As for Berlin, that is an experience I will never forget. I mentioned in another post that we were visiting American friends who were living in Germany while working for Proctor and Gamble. They went with us to Berlin. I had a pen pal at that time who lived in East Germany and had children slightly younger than mine. We planned to meet him in East Berlin and had some gifts for his kids. Two days before we were to meet, he called me at my friends' house and told me his vacation day had been abruptly canceled, no reason, and he would not be able to meet. He seemed anxious and told me to be careful while we were in the East and not to try to bring in the gifts even to give to someone else. As we were crossing into the East, we had to go through a long, narrow corridor, stopping to show our passports to a guard. We pushed all four passports through the window, he looked quickly, pushed back my husband's and those of my sons. He waved them through door at the end of the corridor, but he held my passport. He had a list I couldn't see, but he ran his finger down the list, stopped, and began to compare my passport with the list. He kept looking at the list, then at me. Then he picked up the phone and made a call. It was all I could do to stand there calmly. He finally let me go, and when I opened the door to go in to the East my family was standing there, along with my friends and their two children. My friend was laughing and he just said "Thank you for that excitement. We will probably have a tail the whole time we are here. Try to act normal." All I could think was that if I hadn't come through the door I hoped they would find an American Embassy and save me. While there we visited a museum that was filled with treasures taken from other countries. It was also filled with armed guards. We ate lunch at some outdoor area and the sausage was a sausage in name only. Definitely mystery meat. The lemonade was pale yellow and tasteless. Soldiers were everywhere. At the end of the day, crossing back into West Berlin we had to make sure we had no Eastern money as it wasn't allowed to leave. We did not know that. This time they made my husband go back alone to give the money to anyone who would take it. He said there were people just waiting by the door for the money and he got rid of it quickly. As I said, and experience I will never forget. Steven, here's where I know I'd be much better at telling the story than I am at writing it. You were right about the difference between speaking and writing.

BTW, I had parakeets when I was young. "Budgie" is a much cuter name! : )

stevendabudgie

Posted: 17 Jul 20, 21:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katydyd5 wrote:
BTW, I had parakeets when I was young. "Budgie" is a much cuter name! : )

Never nudge a budge…-ey! :D
Years ago I had a fun thread on potential Queen Songs on budgies…"Budgerigarian Rhapsody", "Some Budgie to Love", "A Kind of Millet", "Another One Bites the Seed",...

In British English, "parakeet" is the term describing the whole family of small parrots.

Here in Heidelberg, hundreds or thousands of rose-ringed parakeets live in the open.

Katydyd5 wrote:

Steven, "Dances With Wolves" is one of my favorite movies.

Have you seen "Last of the Mohicans"? That's another favorite of mine and another interesting part of the country to explore.

No, I have not seen LOTM.

I have seen DWW several times, the last time was about 20 years ago. I only remember the great cinematography and it being sooooo long. There are impressives scenes like the buffalo hunt.

I grew up with the German "Winnetou" movies showing an Indian experiencing adventures with his white friend. Those movies were made in the 1960s and still are popular here. Although there is no realismn or historic accuracy, but rather a fictitious depiction of Indians, the movies feature a good, noble Native American hero as protagonist. To me, they were entertaining western action movies.
Ironically, a lot of Germans have been turned on Native American culture by "Winnetou".
https://www.cbc.ca/cbcdocspov/episodes/searching-for-winnetou

The fascination for "Winnetou" had already begun long before the first movie, with the adventure novels they´re based on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winnetou

EDIT:

Just found this video about the problematic aspects of the "Winnetou" Cult.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcuyYUgFMd0

Katydyd5 wrote:
As for Berlin, that is an experience I will never forget. I mentioned in another post that we were visiting American friends who were living in Germany while working for Proctor and Gamble. They went with us to Berlin. I had a pen pal at that time who lived in East Germany and had children slightly younger than mine. We planned to meet him in East Berlin and had some gifts for his kids. Two days before we were to meet, he called me at my friends' house and told me his vacation day had been abruptly canceled, no reason, and he would not be able to meet. He seemed anxious and told me to be careful while we were in the East and not to try to bring in the gifts even to give to someone else. As we were crossing into the East, we had to go through a long, narrow corridor, stopping to show our passports to a guard. We pushed all four passports through the window, he looked quickly, pushed back my husband's and those of my sons. He waved them through door at the end of the corridor, but he held my passport. He had a list I couldn't see, but he ran his finger down the list, stopped, and began to compare my passport with the list. He kept looking at the list, then at me. Then he picked up the phone and made a call. It was all I could do to stand there calmly. He finally let me go, and when I opened the door to go in to the East my family was standing there, along with my friends and their two children. My friend was laughing and he just said "Thank you for that excitement. We will probably have a tail the whole time we are here. Try to act normal." All I could think was that if I hadn't come through the door I hoped they would find an American Embassy and save me. While there we visited a museum that was filled with treasures taken from other countries. It was also filled with armed guards. We ate lunch at some outdoor area and the sausage was a sausage in name only. Definitely mystery meat. The lemonade was pale yellow and tasteless. Soldiers were everywhere. At the end of the day, crossing back into West Berlin we had to make sure we had no Eastern money as it wasn't allowed to leave. We did not know that. This time they made my husband go back alone to give the money to anyone who would take it. He said there were people just waiting by the door for the money and he got rid of it quickly. As I said, and experience I will never forget. Steven, here's where I know I'd be much better at telling the story than I am at writing it. You were right about the difference between speaking and writing.

Quite scary! Believe it or not, some East Germans still believe that not everything had been bad in old GDR.
East German state security did a lot of terrible things.
They even assigned agents to marry individuals who were "suspicious" or "seditious" in the eyes of the state.
There are people who had been married for years when they found their spouses out to be informants.

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 881 posts

Posted: 18 Jul 20, 01:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Steven, if you get a chance you should see Last of the Mohicans. It's a period drama taking place during the French and Indian War. I will tell you up front that it is romantic, but it is also full of adventure and excitement. The scenery alone is worth a look because it is spectacular. Though it is set in upstate NY, it was actually filmed in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina. The score for the movie is another reason to see it. The music is haunting.

And now............back to Freddie.

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 683 posts

Posted: 18 Jul 20, 05:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Steven....I also highly recommend watching "Last of the Mohicans". Like Katydyd said, outstanding story and acting...breathtaking scenery. The soundtrack is incredible. You can't go wrong with Daniel Day-Lewis as the lead actor! Wes Studi also does an amazing job. Definitely one of my favorite movies.

I noticed the Queen Breakthru convention was cancelled for this year and has been rescheduled for next year. That was expected. I hadn't planned on attending...but it certainly sounds like fun. I am hoping for a return to normalcy in 2021!

JB050...Actually, I only have a few concert T-shirts. While I have been to a number of shows at smaller venues over the years, I was never interested in getting souvenir concert shirts. The Queen + Adam Lambert show in 2017 was the first concert shirt I had purchased in 30 years! I also have a concert shirt from their show in 2019. While Queen has always been my favorite rock band, my favorite solo performer was Dan Fogelberg. I fell in love with his music in my late teens. I saw him twice in 1987 and have that concert shirt, which is my oldest.

My husband and I just returned a while ago from viewing the NEOWISE Comet. That was pretty neat! We used a spotting scope...I would not have been able to see it with the naked eye, even though I was wearing my Brian May tee-shirt for inspiration. :) Supposedly the comet has a split tail, but we did not see that. We intend to go out a few more times to watch. It will be closest to Earth on July 22 and is only visible in the Northern Hemisphere.

Posted: 18 Jul 20, 13:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow, thanks for getting us back on track. I was reluctant to start this thread for several reasons, but once I decided to do it, I chose the Personal Forum because administrators have indicated that it is available for ANY conversation that interests the participants. As we have gotten to know each other we have broadened our discussions into many areas and I'm so grateful for that. I feel as if I know all of you! However, I did hope that we would keep the focus on Freddie and I am very guilty of straying from that. My last few posts have been way out there and kind of self-indulgent and I apologize for that if anyone was offended.

So, back on topic......

JB, I've never been one to buy concert t-shirts, though I did have two from James Taylor concerts. I wanted to buy a Queen+AL shirt last summer, but for whatever reason, I didn't. I have several Freddie t-shirts, and of course, my Freddie face mask.

I'm sorry to hear that Breakthru was canceled, but it was inevitable. I'm so hoping we will get back to normalcy in 2021. I don't hold out much hope for this year.

Rainbow, I have not seen the Comet. For some reason I thought it was visible with the naked eye, so I'm probably out of luck.

In closing, I hope we have not offended anyone with our meandering conversation. Everyone, EVERYONE, who posts here is a valuable part of the group. I'm grateful for all of you. I'm anxious to have the three books we are waiting on in our hands because that will certainly turn the conversation to a more Queen-like direction.

Posted: 18 Jul 20, 18:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katydyd...As you mentioned, we have gotten to know other posters over time, so naturally, we like to share things beyond Freddie and Queen. That's the beauty of this particular thread and I think it's perfectly fine. It's the friendly, low drama aspect of this thread that makes it a very comfortable and fun place to participate. Of course, not everyone is interested in discussing the same topics, so some comments elicit further conversation and some comments are left alone. That's okay as well. Also, this thread might encourage us to share random musings about Freddie and Queen that we might not normally mention on other threads or forums.

I saw James Taylor 3 times...all in college gyms back in the early 80's.

Regarding the comet...yes, there are people who can see it with the naked eye...but I would not have found it that way. My husband found it just by stepping into the street in front of our house, looking in the general direction he knew the comet was located, and seeing the fuzzy tail. Afterwards, he got binoculars and could see it much better. That's when he came into the house to tell me and we decided to look at it in a darker place, away from the street lights about 10 miles from our house. Even when I knew where the comet was though, it was very hard for me to see it without the spotting scope. If I used my peripheral vision, I could somewhat see the tail, but it was so faint, that it was almost unrecognizable. The setting was beautiful though...on a county road without much traffic, right next to a lake, balmy breezes. Perfect!

Posted: 18 Jul 20, 19:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yesterday, the Queenonline site indicated the studio box set of Queen vinyl albums had been reissued, but was no longer available through the Queen Store. However, it can be purchased through Amazon. Unfortunately, Amazon is out as well, but it is being sold through Amazon third party dealers. The cheapest one available through a third party dealer is $852.86. The most expensive box set is being sold for a whopping $975.04. That's CRAZY! I noticed the same thing with books, through eBay or Amazon third party dealers...the prices shot through the roof after the movie came out. I'm glad I purchased my books and music before then.

Posted: 19 Jul 20, 07:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Today is Brian May's birthday! The "guitarist extraordinaire" is 73 years young!

JB050 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 575 posts

Posted: 19 Jul 20, 18:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi all!!!

Rainbow- thank you very much for the additional information re: Queen online site. I have a message in to them. It does say expect delays in responses. Will keep posting as I have updates.

Katy, I am never surprised but always impressed with your people spotting in videos. I now need to watch the live aid behind the scenes again to see if I saw/see all you mentioned. I do remember also seeing Sting and Phil Collins in that video too. I love that it showed giving / getting autographs reminded me of the stories in Jim’s book about that. How they joked about it being “For the kids” think it was joke of Freddie’s and Phil Collin’s right? I think the story was Freddie said is it for you and Phil said no for the kids. Looks like Phil got done amazing signatures for his kids that day. They must have an incredible collection.

Rainbow— ohhh that’s so cool about the comet!!!

Katy and Rainbow
Dan F and James T. Wow!!! Haven’t seen either. It is so true about the music we grow up with gets us they so many things and lives in us. Both had to be exceptional to see live. I did get to see Elton a few times in the 80s. My first concert was Simon and Garfunkel. I was 12. :-)). Thought I still had the shirt but hasn’t turned up so far.

I’m a way, in our missions to clear out, it’s probably a good thing not to have so many concert shirts to decide about. Haha.

Katy really appreciate and liked your post about the conversation.

Rainbow-I so agree with you too about the relationships. Friendly chat is the perfect name for this thread. I do hope they join in and continue to post also. So nice to have the mix of conversations.

That’s it got me for now. Will continue to update on the stamp return process.

Have a great day/night all!!

Posted: 19 Jul 20, 18:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jb050, I don’t remember Simon and Garfunkel but I’m familiar with their song bridge over troubled water such a beautiful song I believe my dad liked some of their music. I also like Elvis version of that song.

MyHumanZoo user not visiting Queenzone.com
MyHumanZoo
Bohemian: 319 posts

Posted: 19 Jul 20, 18:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Happy Birthday Brian May! I hope he has many more!

I have never been a concert t shirt person either....I always wish they came in colors other than black, maybe then I would have gotten some. I am not much for wearing black, and for some reason black concert t shirts just remind me of the kids in high school that spent more time smoking funny cigarettes than studying! ; ) Now looking back I wish I’d collected a few, I did get one from the Queen + AL concert last summer and I love it.

Rainbow, I saw that Breakthru was cancelled, I am disappointed, I was going to attend. Hopefully next year we are back to some kind of normal with things!

Love is still the answer, take my hand...

Posted: 19 Jul 20, 18:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JB050, It seems Simon and Garfunkel were active in the 60s and 70s that’s why I wasn’t familiar all the best bands were happening either before I was born or when I was too young to remember. I’m starting to discover them now. A great era back then us kids born in the 70s missed out on.

stevendabudgie

Posted: 19 Jul 20, 20:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@Chevyman

have you seen "The Graduate"? Its soundtrack has a couple of S&G songs, "Mrs. Robinson", "The Sound of Silence", "Scarborough Fair". By S&G, I discovered Andy Williams, who sang a beautiful rendition of "Scarborough Fair" with Simon and Art. I also discovered some 1960s bands a short while ago, "Beach Boys" for example. I think they influenced Queen with their vocal harmonies.

Posted: 19 Jul 20, 20:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks Steven I will check that out I do love The Beach Boys too!

Posted: 20 Jul 20, 00:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow61 wrote:

It's the friendly, low drama aspect of this thread that makes it a very comfortable and fun place to participate. Of course, not everyone is interested in discussing the same topics, so some comments elicit further conversation and some comments are left alone. That's okay as well.

Rainbow,I totally agree with your comments. My problem is that unless I reply right away to comments that interest me, chances are I will forget when I come back later, or I will be unable to find the comment. It's not that I wasn't interested but rather that things got lost in the shuffle.

There are a few people we haven't seen lately and I do hope they are just busy elsewhere and will make it back soon. We are a small group, but I really enjoy us.