Forums > Personal > Friendly Chat

forum rss feed
Author

Amidds user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 346 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Mar 20, 14:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Episode 2 of the pod cast is out! I haven't watched it yet but it looks like it will be very interesting!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfz0ykyypVI

Katy, I haven't had time to watch what you posted but I look forward to it. I think we've all heard Elton's story many, many times but it is such a heartwarming story that seems to be so reflective of Freddie's heart that I don't mind hearing it!!

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 881 posts

Posted: 06 Mar 20, 14:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks Amidds! I’m anxious to see the new podcast but I’ll have to look later because I’m getting ready to go out.

The clip of Elton that I posted is no big deal but I liked it because it was a good quality video. Elton does share a few quick stories about Freddie that were new to me. His behind the scenes at Live Aid was just so Freddie!

CHEVYMAN user is on Queenzone.com

Deity: 2166 posts

Posted: 06 Mar 20, 16:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds, yes I agree Elton does tell his stories with much love and tenderness and they are timeless they never get old.He is such a kind and talented soul.

Posted: 06 Mar 20, 19:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

LMAO - just watched the 2nd podcast. Don't want to give anything away but, the funniest part is when David says that anyone else standing on top of the world would've looked like a dick. But not Freddie!!!

I also noticed I posted the link w/o removing the "s". Sorry guys!!

Posted: 06 Mar 20, 22:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yep he could wear and do things and somehow he could pull it off because it was him.The man lived life to the fullest and by the seat of his pants I do admire him for that.This podcast was a wonderful idea everyone has sure aged though goodness.

Posted: 07 Mar 20, 00:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds, that podcast was so much fun! Did you subscribe so that you are notified each time there is a new podcast? I remember hearing Diana Mosely talking about Freddie standing on top of that world and having vertigo. I can't give you a source, but I think it might have been when she did the panel discussion at Montreux, though I could be wrong. Anyway she said he was up there and very nervous and he kept asking Phoebe or Diana to give him a cigarette, but no one would. I have to give him credit for being up there because it's something I could never do.

Posted: 07 Mar 20, 02:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katy, I follow ‘freddiemercury’ on IG and it showed up on that feed. It says it’s the “official” FM Instagram if that helps you find it.

Lol, I couldn’t do that either, I literally get vertigo in situations like that and would’ve done an epic face plant I’m sure ;)

Posted: 07 Mar 20, 03:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds, I don't use IG enough to really follow anyone. Well, not entirely true. I marked Brian, Rudi and Roger's page as "favorites" on my computer and I check them out that way. I don't go through Instagram. Some of my friends followed me when I first got on and I told them it would be a total waste of their time. I have one picture on my page. It would be great if you would just let us know when a new podcast appears. I'm really enjoying them.

If I had been up on that globe, and they couldn't have paid me enough, but if I was, I would have been hunched down in a ball begging someone to get me down.

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 683 posts

Posted: 07 Mar 20, 04:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katydyd ...Another place you can find the links for those podcasts is on the Queen online site. I check there fairly often.

Amidds and Katydyd,,,I am not crazy about heights either, but if I were Freddie, I would have been FAR more worried about the possibility of the wire breaking when "flying" off the world!!!

I wonder where all those Freddie cutouts from "The Great Pretender" went to? Wouldn't it be great if they were in some storage unit somewhere? They could be auctioned off and the money donated to the Mercury Phoenix Trust. (Of course, some should be put aside for posterity)

Posted: 07 Mar 20, 07:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Because we were talking about Elton John and Ryan White the other day...

Here is a video of Elton performing his song "Skyline Pigeon" at Ryan's funeral. The lyrics are quite lovely. (The audio is not great though)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQNSZNnV7XE

Posted: 07 Mar 20, 13:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It was a lovely piece Rainbow are their anymore new contributors coming to this new thread or is it just this 5 or so I was just wondering it just looks like the ones from the book thread that's okay just curious.That boy was a very brave young man to have gone through everything he did at sc much a young a age.

Posted: 07 Mar 20, 13:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Great Pretender is one of my favorite music pieces to me it perfectly represents who Freddie was to many people.He was one person to one friend maybe he needed to provide another personality to another he was chopped full of personality and greatness.But the song does have a sadness about it a pretender can't ever be themselves or can they?

Posted: 07 Mar 20, 18:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I look at this thread as a friendly place for people to post if and when they have something they would like to share. That probably means that most will only post on occasion. I'm guessing many are too busy with jobs, family, just life in general, to keep up a running conversation...and that is fine. It actually seems far more natural that way and that is a good thing. Personally, I prefer to read other people's posts far more than I want to post myself, so I often I don't comment. Others might feel the same way as well. This thread will not be active all the time, but since that is not the goal, I don't worry about it.

Have a lovely weekend folks! I see blue skies and sunshine. Might be a good day to get some fresh air, even though it is a brisk 35 degrees out now...or it could be a good day to curl up with a book. :)

Posted: 07 Mar 20, 23:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow, couldnt agree with ya more sister same ole subjects are rather boring after a while I get it .I just figured it would be more built up than this but I see this is under personal meaning person I get that now lol you have a lovely weekend too!

Posted: 08 Mar 20, 18:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow, I was thinking about your post. As always, well said. You often put my thoughts into words. :)

I knew going in this chat thread would not be as active as Thor's thread was in the beginning. Thor's thread had dwindled down to a very small number of people posting and I think most, if not all, came over here. I also know we have lurkers, and that's fine too. My hope was that this new thread would become a place where friendships could continue but with no pressure to be as active as we were on Thor's thread. I was hoping for a little spot here to gather and share when the urge hit. That might mean some quiet days since we are all so busy in our lives, but that's ok. It's also the reason I chose the Personal Forum rather than the General because it gives us the freedom to mix Freddie and non-Freddie comments together, but by choosing that I also knew it might be harder to find. Maybe we have to rely on word of mouth. To be honest, while I'd like to see it grow, I'm very ok if it stays small and intimate.

Posted: 08 Mar 20, 19:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Completely understand I just stumbled on it maybe others will too.For those that like discussions in large forums and are comfortable in crowds this might not be the place for them but for those that are more sensitive maybe and are used to smaller places spot on good choice job well done.

JB050 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 575 posts

Posted: 09 Mar 20, 15:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi all!! I completely agree!! When not on, am still thinking about all of you and love knowing our group is still here!!!

I just saw Thor’s book update!! Sooo exciting!!
I’m sure this will light up the book thread for a bit too!!!

I was just thinking about Freddie and how much fun it sounds like he had giving and receiving and sharing in the exchange. Don’t remember where I read it but how he really appreciated the gesture if giving and something about how he felt dome didn’t know what to give for someone who could get what they want and he did not feel that way. :-)))) I try to remember that.... every gesture of kindness and giving is good and can mean so much!!

Happy Monday all

Xo

Posted: 13 Mar 20, 02:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JB, nice to see you! It's been a busy week and I'm just now finding time to get back to you.

Yeah, it sounds like Thor's book is really close now. I hope it does light up the book thread. I was really enjoying sharing about books there so I was sorry to see it fade. I guess part of the problem is too few discussable books and too little time. I have several coffee table books but there isn't a whole lot to say about them. Maybe both Thor and Rudi will get their books out soon.

I love Freddie's generosity too. I've read in several sources that he also liked to receive gifts. I used to think about what I would have given him if I had the chance. I finally came up with what I think he would have enjoyed. I have a small collection of antique salt cellars and I love to poke around in antique shops for them. They are small and usually affordable. Since Freddie liked to give special dinner parties I think it would have been fun to find the perfect antique salt cellar or cellars for him to use when he set a fancy table. Anyone have any other ideas? What do you get for someone who needs nothing, but loves to be remembered with a gift???

Hope you are all staying well. Things are kind of crazy in my state.

Posted: 13 Mar 20, 13:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi everyone! Episode 3 of Finding Freddie is out! I haven't had a change to watch yet but it looks like it's interviews with David Wigg. So, may be all stuff we've seen before:

https://www.youtube.com/FreddieMercurySolo

Katy, I'm ashamed to say I've never heard of a salt cellar before. Didn't know those things existed lol! Might've been the perfect gift for someone who can buy themselves anything!

Don't know what state you are in Katy, but I hope you aren't suffering in the crazy. Things haven't gotten bad by me yet except for the toilet paper being sold out. Gotta say, if things get that bad, I don't think a stockpile of t.p. is gonna help us survive!!! Oh well, to each their own! I am still scheduled to go on my Ireland vacation in 3 weeks (shocked face). None of the companies I have booked with (airlines, hotels, airbnb's, car rental) have cancelled anything. I'm too close to cancel and get my money back so I am either waiting on them to do so or we're still going. Good news is there will be 2 nurses and a cop in my group so they will keep me safe, I hope ;)

Posted: 13 Mar 20, 19:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just saw the latest "Finding Freddie". Even if I have heard certain stories before, there are always new and interesting tidbits. I absolutely love to watch Freddie laugh because that laugh of his is SO infectious. His eyes even smile at the same time. What can I say...he just radiates charm!

I have a salt cellar that I bought at an antiques fair over 36 years ago...I simply referred to it as a "little salt dish". Katydyd...the salt cellar is a good gift idea. Would you be a guest at Freddie's dinner party as well? :) In regards to finding a good present for Freddie...that's a hard one. Maybe a cell phone that had Delilah's meow as a ring tone! (While Freddie does not seem like the kind of person who would have a cell phone glued to his hand, everyone uses one now and then)

Amidds...you probably told us before, but where in Ireland will you be traveling? I love Ireland and hope to go back one day in the not too distant future. It's one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. Soup and bread at a small pub with music...perfect evening!

In regards to the coronavirus situation...if someone expects to use 50 rolls of TP in a month, I dare say there might be something else going on with that person! Events are getting canceled left and right. I had tickets to see a Yankee/Blue Jays spring training game, but that has now been canceled (birthday gift to my husband). I'm hoping this virus is quickly contained for the sake of those who are most susceptible to getting sick.