Forums > Personal > Friendly Chat

forum rss feed
Author

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 881 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Aug 20, 18:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds, I'm a voracious reader, more fiction than non, but what types of books do you like? I keep a log of my reads so I might be able to offer you a few suggestions. Glad you liked the behind the scenes video I posted. I love to see the band just having fun. The One Vision documentary has lots of moments like that as does The Great Pretender. You know me, those are the videos where I'm studying the background as much as the subject of the video!

MHZ, I have an IG account that I use only to follow a few celebrities, including Rudi. I had missed that post from Rudi. If that was his last Miami show he'll have to give info about where he is the next time he does a Backstage. I've never seen Big Little Lies on TV, but I think I read and liked the book. That might be a good beach read Amidds! Or..............a boat read while you are out relaxing on the water. Or.........................better yet, a plane read while you are off to your dreamed destination.

Lsgp, thanks. I had forgotten that you watch Rudi too. If Rudi is currently living in two adjoining apartments, he would have a lot of possessions. Well, LOL, what am I saying, you can see that in his broadcasts. I can't imagine searching for a place that would be big enough unless he goes for a house. I think he would want to stay in Miami if he could since he said Benny wants to study marine biology there. Just the idea of packing all of that up is daunting. Makes me realize I really should be using all the time I have now to go through things. Sometimes I get on a tear and can get rid of lots of things, other times it seems that everything I touch has sentimental value.

FreddieDearie user not visiting Queenzone.com
Truth Matters
FreddieDearie
Bohemian: 357 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 20, 22:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Chevy man: I didn’t tell her to relocate here I told her to message villers. And yes I’m upset he is insulting me by comparing me to someone of such nature. It’s in writing I told her to message her. ”

There were posts put up at the end of the threads that since they were now ”closed” it said people from those threads had come over here .

I haven't insulted you or compared you to someone of that nature, you CLEARLY are not.

My post wasn't FOR Villers, it was for those who claimed to be offended by the sexual exploitation of gay men's sex lives, but were perfectly fine with it when Viller’s did it. A why would I contact Villers when she was not the one being addressed?

”I’m not afraid to speak out and say the things that I want to do, or do the things I want to do. So I think in the end being natural and being actually genuine is what wins.”
CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2166 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 20, 22:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie dearie, This is the last post I will put on here about this but when I viewed Instagram she has been guilty of shaming gay men as well talking filth about them too. I seen she had post naked bare ass pics of Elton John so I thought she may be the one I had seen her name in your text. None of it sets well with me. I did however message her that I personally found the pics she puts on Instagram offensive towards men.I also messaged EltonJohn and sent him the naked pics and awful things that were being said about him. It needs to stop. It needs to stop whoever is doing it.

Posted: 03 Aug 20, 23:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Everything was calm here it just needs to go back I no longer want to contribute here. To much judgement and favortism .Thor and Lee’s thread I had looked back and these threads and the way they are runned isn’t the way they runned theirs. They accepted everyone for who they were. I think that vision has been lost somewhere.I was viewing a new thread that touched base with reference to Freddie’s religion. It started out ok and I thought I would love to participate in this thread and it went to shit real quick. We got people arguing over the fact that if Freddie didn’t repent before death he didn’t go to heaven. This takes me back to my childhood and the Catholic Church.

Posted: 03 Aug 20, 23:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was taught because I had a gf I was a abomination to God and to repent and turn away from it or I would spend eternity in hell.Well someone pretty much said that Freddie might be in the pits of hell because he was gay and he should’ve repented. I heard that my whole life and so did my uncle. He was told he was a pussy a f word and all kinds of shit by my grandfather well what about his sin. Shouldn’t he repent.Im disgusted with everybody.

Thereuhaveit user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 112 posts

Posted: 04 Aug 20, 01:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds, I just started reading "Plague Years: A Doctor's Journey through the AIDS Crisis" by Dr. Ross Slotten.

http://press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/book/chicago/P/bo52484613.html

I heard Dr. Slotten interviewed on "Think" (an NPR program) last week. Here's the link to "Think" and you can scroll to the program (about 5 down) http://www.npr.org/podcasts/478859728/think

It was a fascinating interview and so far, the book is great, as well. I mentioned some months ago on this thread a fiction book ("The Great Believers") about the AIDS crisis in Chicago and that's when and where Dr. Slotten practiced and where he still practices.

Anyhow, nice segue...:)

Jo T. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jo T.
Bohemian: 161 posts

Posted: 04 Aug 20, 05:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds, I totally agree. Let’s get “back on track.” I can recommend what NOT to read on a plane! It’s called “Mutual Funds for Dummies.” LOL I learned the hard way. It was many, many years ago, before passengers could individually select and watch in-flight movies mounted on screens at their seats. I thought I would force myself to learn all about mutual funds on a 4-hour flight, because it would be my sole reading material on the plane – by intent. I would have no other choice. However, as soon as the plane took off, I began to curse my idea of financial self-improvement reading at high altitude. It was the most tedious flight. Never again! Anyway, after I completed Randy Shilt’s 600-page, tome “And the Band Played On” last June about the HIV/AIDS crisis of the ‘80s, I needed “lighter” reading. I opted for Tony Kushner’s 2-part play “Angels in America,” that won the Pulitzer for Drama in 1993. It’s about a young man, Prior Walter, who has AIDS in the ‘80s. I WOULD highly recommend “Angels in America” for an in-flight or beach read. The dialogue was hysterical. I loved it. I’m currently watching the 2017 Royal National Theatre’s production of "Angels in America" in London on YouTube. British-American actor, Andrew Garfield (“The Social Network” and “The Amazing Spider-Man”), portrays Prior Walter. The play is a total of 8 hours. I marvel at the talent of these stage actors. I can’t imagine the physical/mental stamina of performing in an 8-hour play, let alone remembering all the lines. The stage can be unforgiving of major errors. One of my regrets is that I never saw it on Broadway for its limited engagement in 2018. Here’s one of my fav’ fan-made videos of Andrew Garfield as Prior Walter and Scottish actor, James McArdle, as Louis Ironson, Prior’s BF. Louis can’t handle Prior’s AIDS diagnosis and subsequently abandons him in his time of need. Yes, that was my "lighter" reading. The 2-mins. video is so dramatic and lovely: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vySkllattFA&list=RDvySkllattFA&start_radio=1

Presently, I need a break from HIV/AIDS – and other plagues. MHZ, tell me if you enjoyed “Big Little Lies.” Katydyd, it sounds like you may have read the book and liked it? I may order it on Amazon. I have heard of the TV series, but I’ve never seen even an episode. I wasn’t aware it was based on a book. I learned back in 2018 the TV series was based in, as well as filmed in Monterey, California, one of my fav’ vacation destinations in the U.S. If it wasn’t for the current pandemic, I would’ve been back in Monterey in July. What would’ve been the point of flying 5 hours one-way to California if the Monterey Bay Aquarium remains closed and you’re not allowed to read on the beach? I do love California’s Central Coast and the drive along its gorgeous coastline and the sight, smell, and sound of the Pacific Ocean.

Posted: 04 Aug 20, 07:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello TUHISounds Interesting I like anything informational like that. I hope you have been doing well. You have been missed online you absence has been noticed here. Your friendly face is much needed.

Lsgp03 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lsgp03
Bohemian: 276 posts

Posted: 04 Aug 20, 11:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow here’s the Nuno Bettencourt Brian May vid I believe you were referring to.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U_gchvum1JU

Posted: 04 Aug 20, 12:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

TUHI, so nice to see you!

Books. I prefer fiction because I'm kind of a tv news junkie, plus I read a lot about politics in print. I just finished two political books and now I'm escaping into fiction again. Two that I read and highlighted on my list as favorites so far this year were The Stationary Shop and Dear Edward. The Stationary Shop is set in 1950's Iran and while a love story of sorts, is also rich with cultural detail.. Dear Edward had me thinking long after I finished the book, but it's definitely not one for reading on a plane. I also liked The Dutch House and The Authenticity Project. Two favorite non-fiction reads were Finding Chika and The Stranger in the Woods. I finished The Stranger in The Woods two weeks ago and I'm still thinking about it and some of the issues it raised.

Jo, have you been to Mendocino? I was only able to spend one day there, but I fell in love with it. From the moment we parked the car and began walking I was in love with the town. White picket fences covered in flowers swarming with hummingbirds. Unique shops. Glorious views. In one shop the owner told me she had visited Mendocino for the first time one weekend She went home to Southern CA that week, sold everything and moved, worked until she found her shop and has been there ever since.. I admire that kind of courage and I understood.

I'm going to check out the video links later. I need to get moving on my day!

Posted: 04 Aug 20, 13:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

TUHI, Glad to see you your check ins are always pleasant and inviting.

Lsgp03 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lsgp03
Bohemian: 276 posts

Posted: 04 Aug 20, 20:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Attachment: 2020841136978099.jpg 5 KB
This has been downloaded 22 time(s).

Amidds user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 346 posts

Posted: 04 Aug 20, 23:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katy-I, too, am a voracious reader and I tend to go thru phases on genres. Right now, I'm kinda in one that is anything light-hearted. The heaviest I've read lately is The Great Believers (or Great Pretenders as I like to call it lol). While I don't search out the heavy reading, if it comes recommended, I'll give it a try. So, hit me with a few of your faves (nothing political, please, I'm kinda done with that right now) and I'll see what looks interesting :). (Will take your word on Dear Edward and look into The Stationary Shop)

So far I'm adding Big Little Lies, Plague Years (excellent podcast TUHI, thanks and so nice to hear from you again!) and, of course Mutual Funds for Dummies is topping it!! Oh, Jo T, I literally LOL on your description! I could just see myself asleep in my seat, drool running down my chin attempting that read!! Oh, and I'm gonna look into Angels in America when I get a chance. You guys are a real treasure trove!! I'm gonna have 2 weeks to keep busy and I am a fast reader so this is awesome!! Can't even just laze around the pools at my daughter's apt - you have to sign up for short time slots and they go fast :(

And, Lsgp, nice find on the photo! Now that one needs the caption, "Rare Photo|"! Can I ask where you found it? So curious why that hasn't popped up on my searches!

What an awesome and informative QZ day - onto watching the vids now!

Posted: 05 Aug 20, 00:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lsgp, thanks for the video of Bettencourt and the rest. I was glad to see Brian looking so well. He also has an IG post up. He's been off IG for a bit now and since he said he had suffered some setbacks, I was concerned.

Jo, the link you shared is devastatingly emotional. I'm assuming the YouTube version of the Royal National Theater production of Angels in America is the full 8 hours? Can you provide the link for that? I may have to save it and watch it in hour long increments. I can't imagine performing something so intense and of that length in the theater. Jo, the financial book would have killed me. My eyes tend to glaze over when trying to understand anything of that nature.

TUHI, I read the reviews and put Plague Years in my Amazon cart. I respect your review as you sent me to The Great Believers, one of my favorite books this year.

Amidds, I also enjoyed The Dutch House and The Authenticity Project. Project is especially light hearted!

Posted: 05 Aug 20, 00:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds wrote:

What an awesome and informative QZ day - onto watching the vids now!

I agree! I've been trying to stay away from Amazon because I've been too frequent a customer during COVID, but I couldn't help myself when I saw THUI's recommendation! I always leave a treat basket out for delivery/mail people during the month of December and they are going to deserve it for sure this year.

Thereuhaveit user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 112 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 20, 00:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katy: Yeah, Amazon. I hate it, but I sure like my Kindle. :)

I now have The Dutch House and The Authenticity Project on my to-read list.

Dr. Slotten is very honest in Plague Years and it's definitely not light reading, but it is good.

Amidds, I'm glad you enjoyed the podcast. She's a good interviewer and often has really good guests.

If you've ever seen the movie, The Martian, it comes from a book and it's a lot of fun. The author, Andy Weir, crowd source much of his scientific information, which apparently, is mostly correct. It's a feel-good movie and a feel-good book.

Posted: 05 Aug 20, 03:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

TUHI. I must have given you the wrong impression. I LOVE Amazon. Way too much.

Posted: 05 Aug 20, 13:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lsgp, thanks for posting that picture. There has been some debate over its veracity, but we will never know for sure. You had a good source so I'm re-examining some of my own thinking. We have almost no pictures of Freddie's parents in their younger years and that's why I've always hoped Kash might write a book some day including lots of pictures though I seriously doubt she ever will and I respect her for that. I like to examine pictures of Freddie's parents to try to determine who he resembles. It's hardly an important issue, but you all know by now that I am fascinated by the background and backstory of pictures. Personally I think he looks more like Bomi. They have almost identical bone structure in their faces. Both have longer faces with very high cheekbones and fuller lips. The gentle side of Freddie's personality seems more like Jer but that is pure speculation. I wish it was possible to post more than one picture at a time because I'd like to be able to illustrate what I see. Maybe I'll create a side-by-side and then post it here but I'm fairly technically inept so don't expect much.

TUHI, I saw The Martian in the theater............remember those?? I thought the concept was so interesting, and appreciated the ending. : ) I enjoyed the movie partly because I've always been fascinated by the ingenuity needed to survive alone in difficult environments. The garden that he eventually planted so he'd have a fresh food source, yikes, that's some creative thinking. : ) That's why I enjoyed the book I mentioned in a previous post, The Stranger In the Woods. It sounds like a thriller of some sort, but it's the story of a true hermit who survived alone in the Maine woods for decades. I would recommend it again for those who like stories of survival. It's fairly short but will leave you thinking about some moral issues.

Amidds user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 346 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 20, 14:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow Jo T. - watched the vid for Angels in America and I cried. Two minutes damn near killed me-can't imagine 8 hours gah! I am definitely putting that on my "later" list, don't think I can handle that right now but definitely in the future - thanks for the intro!!

Katy - what is this "theater" you spoke of? Not sure I am familiar - any pics or anything ;).

Funny about the Amazon - my husband has been teasing me a lot lately as packages seem to arrive almost daily. I'll have to remember to leave a treat basket like Katy, what a great idea! Amazon is so convenient, especially during COVID but, there's always a little part of me that feels guilty as I'm not supporting my local stores when I buy from them. Another reason to hope for this to end soon, too many stores are shutting down!!

MyHumanZoo user not visiting Queenzone.com
MyHumanZoo
Bohemian: 319 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 20, 15:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katy...I am so glad you mentioned about Freddie’s parents! I am the same as you, I always wonder what they looked like when they were younger, because I always think he looks so much like Bomi. (Funny, spell check changes his name to abomination!). I would love to see Bomi at Freddie’s younger ages to compare.

I have been a frequent Amazon customer during the quarantine too. Interesting trivia, my husband’s company needed some new vans and it has been hard to find them because Amazon is buying them up in huge quantities to keep up with deliveries now. It has also pushed the prices quite high. I suppose we are all to thank for that, lol!

I haven’t read as much lately because I have been following a few court cases....I am a weird person that loves to watch cases being tried. I watched the preliminary hearings for Chad Daybell the past 2 days, And I have been reading the court transcripts for the Johnny Depp/Amber Heard trial in the UK. All I can say about that one is that Amber is one messed up chick! Anyway..I probably should have been a lawyer, I’m sure not many people get into that stuff.

Love is still the answer, take my hand...