Forums > Personal > Friendly Chat

forum rss feed
Author

Lsgp03 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lsgp03
Bohemian: 276 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Aug 20, 23:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MHZ I do depending on the case. Did you watch the Jodi Arias case in Arizona?
I actually ran home during my lunch for the verdict on that one.

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 881 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 20, 23:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have watched some court cases, most memorably OJ and also Jodi Arias. Lsgp, I was glued to that one and used to race home from work to watch. I will even admit to watching the made-for-tv movie about Jodi.

As far as Amazon, between them and Zulilly, I'm getting several deliveries each week. We have big wheeled recycle bins here and normally I only put mine out once a month. With all the cardboard from the boxes, I have to put it out every other week and sometimes weekly. I'm all for supporting local small businesses, but I'm not going out! I think we are going to emerge from this to a very different world.

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 683 posts

Posted: 06 Aug 20, 08:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lsgp...Thanks so much for the link of Brian playing with Nuno and friends. That was fun to watch (I confess that I hoped Brian would have a bigger part though!)

TUHI...."Plague Years" sounds like a great book. I just checked to see if my local public library has it, but they don't yet. I really enjoyed the interview with Dr. Slotten. I did read "The Great Believers" on your recommendation and enjoyed that.

Jo T. "Mutual Funds for Dummies"...that might be one notch above reading "Taxes for Dummies". What you said about driving along the Pacific coastline is how I feel about the Atlantic coastline in New England. I also love the sight, sound, and smell of the ocean. Two Lights State Park in Maine and Brenton Point State Park in Newport, RI are two of my favorite places.

Katydyd...I have always preferred non-fiction books, but lately I have wanted to get lost in fiction. I also read and loved "Stranger In The Woods". I was a voracious reader in my youth, but find it harder now to set aside time to read. I am on a computer all day long, so by the end of the day, I don't have the patience to sit and read. When I do, I enjoy sitting on the front porch and reading with my husband. No, not the same books...he's mostly into World War 2. For those of you who like that genre, I have read the book "Vanished" by Wil Hylton which was excellent.

Amidds...I also go through phases with genres as well. For years, all I read about was the Civil War. I tend to read a lot about America History. Am halfway through "Empire of the Summer Moon" by S.C. Gwynne, about the Commanche in Texas. By the way...I admire your "chill" attitude about your travel plans!

MHZ...I feel the same way about large cities. I love what they have to offer, but by the end of the day, I am ready to leave. I live in a small city...I love that I can get in my car and in just a few minutes, be in the country. Regarding legal stuff...I love it. Several years ago I took a non-credit online introductory course entitled "Explore a Career as a Paralegal". About 14 years ago I was selected to sit on Grand Jury, which lasted about 2 months, a couple times a week. That was a super experience! This is an old book, but the true crime story "Fatal Vision" by Joe McGinniss" is excellent, especially the investigation/trial part.

About a month ago I watched a made-for-TV movie called "Prayers For Bobby". I came across it while channel surfing and unfortunately missed the first half. It's a true story based on the book of the same name. It's not new...the book was published in 1995 and the movie came out in 2009. Without saying too much, it's about the struggles of a young gay guy from a loving, yet very religious family. Extremely moving and powerful film. I don't usually read books after seeing movies (I prefer the opposite) but I had to get this one. I ordered it on Amazon (where else?) and recently finished it. Wow...incredible story. Here is the trailer from the movie. SPOILER ALERT...if you are not familiar with the book/movie, it does reveal the MAJOR story events, but if that doesn't matter, you will see how compelling this story is. I highly recommend the book.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSee8On2lEQ

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2166 posts

Posted: 06 Aug 20, 08:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow, I have seen that movie and it is very moving I watched the whole thing. It’s very sad he killed himself

Posted: 06 Aug 20, 08:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That’s how it kinda is in my town back then and somewhat is now. I think that’s why my uncle even though his job was stationed in Tulsa Oklahoma chose to take the job opening to be a traveling supervisor when he got the opportunity. I really don’t know what he experienced in the family before hand because I wasn’t born yet.In the 80s He wasn’t allowed to bring boyfriends for holiday dinners or family functions. He was required to attend catholic mass and my grandfather when asked when is your son gonna get married my grandfather would say oh he is just too busy with his work. A complete lie. Thanks for the link I’m gonna try to find the whole movie.

Posted: 06 Aug 20, 12:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good to see you Rainbow! I"ve always preferred fiction as my escape from my political interests, but over the last ten years I've started to read some non-fic and I enjoy it. I'm doing more reading than ever now that I'm at home all of the time. If it isn't too hot, I like to sit out on my deck at the end of the day with my book, an ice cold drink and a snack. By ice cold drink I mean that I will freeze a bottle of pop/soda so that it's ice and slowly melts in the heat. Sadly, I'm also doing more snacking. And way more watching of junk tv.

Thanks for the trailer for "Prayers For Bobby". I feel like i might have seen it, but I'm going to check and see if Netflix has it. I've always thought of Sigourney Weaver as a powerful actress and the story looks compelling.

EDIT: just in case the frozen pop sounds refreshing to anyone, warning: don't try to freeze the whole bottle. You'll get quite the volcano when you open if there's any liquid left. I freeze 3/4 of a bottle.

Amidds user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 346 posts

Posted: 06 Aug 20, 13:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh yes, I definitely went through the court case phase. Read everything I could find, watched the trials. Kinda funny story: had to take law classes as part of my business degree. When the OJ trial was going on, everyone in my office was saying he would be found guilty. I told them he wouldn't based on the fact that he would have to be found "guilty beyond a reasonable doubt" and his attorney was doing an excellent job of raising doubt. Well, we all know how it turned out and I made a nice sum of winnings off of that!!!

Rainbow - I know I've heard of Prayers for Bobby before, definitely gonna pick it up now. Thanks! I'm one of those people that if I don't put it on a list or jump on it right away, it slips my mind. I think that's what happened with that one, lol.

I'm with you guys on the rural vs. city living. I grew up JUST outside of Chicago and spent many of my teen/young adult years "living" in the city. I loved the bars, museums, theaters, etc. But, I didn't like the crime, smells, prices. As I got older, I keep gravitating further out so now it can be a chore to get there (1.5 hrs car/2+ hrs train) but I enjoy where I live and not having to worry about the problems big cities have. Case in point, the riots going on now. Glad I don't have to worry about getting caught up in the destruction and hate :(

MyHumanZoo user not visiting Queenzone.com
MyHumanZoo
Bohemian: 319 posts

Posted: 06 Aug 20, 18:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It’s funny to know the court cases are interesting to others, I know they are popular on the news and stuff but always figured I was the only one so in-depth about them. I did watch some of Jodi Arias, I was working and traveling at the time so I missed some of it but caught what I could. I watched all of the OJ trial too...this was back during VCR days and I taped all day and came home and watched it all night! It sure was the topic of conversation at work every day. I have always wanted to be on a jury, that sounds crazy since every seems to want to dodge it. I have never been notified to report for jury duty...in all of my years. We are a small town so I guess we don’t have that many trials, but still you would think it would happen at some point!

I’m going to have to check into all of the book and movie recommendations. I still mostly enjoy reading biographies of people I admire but throw in some fiction now and then.

Love is still the answer, take my hand...

Posted: 06 Aug 20, 18:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Me too my Human Zoo!!!!

stevendabudgie user not visiting Queenzone.com
stevendabudgie
Bohemian: 189 posts

Posted: 06 Aug 20, 22:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds wrote:

Oh yes, I definitely went through the court case phase. Read everything I could find, watched the trials. Kinda funny story: had to take law classes as part of my business degree. When the OJ trial was going on, everyone in my office was saying he would be found guilty. I told them he wouldn't based on the fact that he would have to be found "guilty beyond a reasonable doubt" and his attorney was doing an excellent job of raising doubt. Well, we all know how it turned out and I made a nice sum of winnings off of that!!!

Reading your post I could not help thinking of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCSCJtuyfUY

I like watching True Crime stuff- the first time I got hooked was watching the documentary series on the Michael Peterson case.

Posted: 07 Aug 20, 00:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Steven, I had to Google Michael Peterson. I don't recall much about that. But it did bring to mind the Scott and Laci Peterson story. That's another one where I was racing home from work to watch developments.

Posted: 07 Aug 20, 07:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

At the end of the day on August 5th, I read that Queen+ AL was releasing the benefit single "We Are The Champions". With only 3,000 copies being released of both the CD and the record, I wasn't hopeful there would be any left. I was correct...both were sold out, probably shortly after the announcement. I suppose the limited release makes the item more valuable, but being that the proceeds are going to a good cause, it seems like selling as many as possible would be the goal. Sadly, they are already being sold on eBay from $30-$65. I wonder if Queen gets enough requests if they will make more available? Just wishful thinking on my part, if only to mess with the people who are trying to make a quick buck.

Amidds user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 346 posts

Posted: 07 Aug 20, 13:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Stevendabudgie, that was pretty funny! I wish I could say that at least OJ got his "comeuppance" in the end but he really didn't did he? Even being the butt of jokes, his later incarceration, the lawsuit, etc., he got away with it. I guess it's a perfect example of using the laws that are set to protect the innocent to his advantage. Maybe even worse than that, that's how we are forever stuck with the Kardashians lol!!

Rainbow, i totally agree, it would be nice to not only mess with the ebay sellers AND give the rest of us a chance to get the release! I totally believe in a free marketplace but I'm still a little upset with the sellers who bought out the t.p., hand sanitizer, etc just to capitalize on a horrible situation!

MyHumanZoo

Posted: 07 Aug 20, 18:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Steven...I remember the Michael Peterson case, I watched the Netflix series and then read a book or two on it. Pretty fascinating stuff! So....do you think he killed his wife...or was it the elusive owl?

On the OJ thing, I remember hearing he gets something like $20,000 a month from the NFL as part of his contract or pension or whatever it is called, and sadly his dead wife's family could not touch that. So he is living pretty high after getting away with murder!

Amidds, it's really scary seeing all the violence and shooting going on in Chicago. I can't imagine living there. A client of my husband's just moved here, his family has lived in Chicago since the civil war, I think he said. He is the last to leave, all of the violence is too much.

Back on the Covid topic, I found out a friend of mine had it, and was in the hospital for 8 days, intubated for 3 days. He was so close to death they intubated him while he was not sedated..yikes! Anyway, he is blood type A positive, which he says is the worst blood type to get it. For some reason blood type impacts your ability to fight it, with O positive being the most resistant to the virus. I am not sure I really believe that, but I have heard it in other places. Another curious piece of information in all this!

Posted: 08 Aug 20, 00:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just saw a discussion of this book on Queenchat. Looks pretty interesting! I've already ordered the Preston book so I'll have to hold off on this for now, but if it gets good reviews maybe I'll get it for myself for Christmas.

Edit: Shoot, I can't get the Amazon link to work. The book is called Queen All the Songs. It tells the story behind every track.

Posted: 08 Aug 20, 01:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Here's the book.

Attachment: 2020881026312129.jpg 7 KB
This has been downloaded 16 time(s).

Posted: 08 Aug 20, 04:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I took a look at the new book on Amazon about Queen's recording history. It's massive...has 528 pages! It sounds wonderful, but I will wait to see if it comes out in paperback.

Katydyd...Did you ever get your stamp set?

JB050...I hope you were able to reorder your stamps.

MHZ...I had read something along those lines about the association between COVID-19 and blood types. Apparently people with type O blood were also less susceptible to SARS. Hope your friend is feeling a lot better.

My Freddie "All Is One" pride pin from the Hard Rock Cafe came in today. The pin is lovely and part of the proceeds go to the Mercury Phoenix Trust.

MyHumanZoo

Posted: 08 Aug 20, 17:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks Rainbow, my friend recovered and is back at work. He runs a local company and his manufacturing employees are all complaining about having to wear masks all day to work in. He knows he got his Covid at work, so he is not sympathetic, and I can’t blame him!

A note on books, I read one called Left Neglect, I’m wondering if anyone else has read it? I would be interested in opinions, my mom liked it a lot so I read it and was kind of meh about it.

In other book news....Rudi says his book is finished! Over 50 chapters. Let’s see how long until we actually get copies....

Posted: 09 Aug 20, 00:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow, I don't have my stamps yet. When I ordered them from Royal Mail they said they were sold out and did not expect to be able to ship a new batch until August 14. I'm figuring I'll have them in September with the way the mail is running. That's ok, I like to have things to look forward to.

Queen, All The Songs looks very interesting to me. Don't many of you have the book with all the lyrics?? I can't think of the title but some of you have spoken highly of that book. I don't have that one, so I'll probably drop this one in my Amazon cart and then think about it a while before I buy. Someone on Queenchat mentioned that there are All the Songs books for the Stones, Led Zepplin and more and that they are impressive.

MHZ, I had not heard of Left Neglected or the condition. It sounded like an interesting book but you said meh, and now I don't know. : ) I've suddenly got a large pile of unread books and I probably don't need to add another. Then again I saw that Rudi had finished his book and I'll get that one as soon as it is available. Does it have to go through the editing process now? Is he publishing it through his own company? You and Lsgp will have to let us know where he does his Backstage broadcast from tomorrow since I think he said it would be in a new place now.

stevendabudgie user not visiting Queenzone.com
stevendabudgie
Bohemian: 189 posts

Posted: 09 Aug 20, 16:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@Amidds

The link to part 1 with jokes before the verdict is in the video description. I watched a documentary a while ago, where they pointed out that race issues played a role and that some incriminating evidence that was reported widely in the media was not admited. Viewers had a fuller pucture than the jurors who were in a bubble, only able to view the admitted evidence.

@MyHumanZoo

I am still not a hundred percent sure. It is very likely he did it. Peterson lied about key issues. He claimed his wife knew about his bisexuality, but in recent interviews he said something like "she kind of knew, we never talked about it"... It also looks like police messed up the crime scene.

I watched the first 8 episodes covering the trial back in 2004/2005 and years later the follow-up episode on Peterson´s struggle for a new trial. I read material on websites about the case and found out the fimmakers left out a lot of evidence.

I read articles and watched the Alford Plea hearing, but not the recent episodes on Netflix. What a convoluted story.

@Katydy5

I also watch Dateline from time to time.